[Rebel Pilot Gar] 2022-04 A Mandalorian never forgets...

... to follow their training schedule.

In other news, I've been on  a Star Wars kick for the past... month or two? And probably spending a bit too much time in front of my computer playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (Star Wars MMO).

Work is crazy busy, so just going to keep it simple this round. Just the two goals, but they're big ones.

1) Build Running / Exercise Routine

• Training plan selected: Hal Higdon Novice 1 (12 week program)
  • The race is ~30 weeks away so I have time to build a baseline habit & fitness.
  • Step 1 - build the habit by working up to the below weekly run schedule over next two months:
  • Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    Rest 1.5 mi run 30 min run 1.5 mi run Rest 30 min walk 30 min run
    • Backup Plan of options to swap in for busy days:
      • 30 mins yoga
      • 30 mins bike ride
      • NF Bodyweight Workout
      • Walking , Hiking

1.1) Warm up + 30 min dog walk every morning

• On super early work days, this can be swapped with afternoon walk and/or yoga.

2) Track Food / Meal Plan

• Need to further define this. But want to work on minimizing food waste, eating more produce, and generally paying more attention to whether I am eating well or not.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

• Like 7

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Oh, I used Hal a lot back when I was in better shape and running much more consistently. I've really liked his training plans! Have you used them before? 

Also I love that your second goal includes looking at food waste - that's something we're looking at too, for budget and environmental reasons. Lately I've been trying an app called Sidekick that groups recipes into "packs" where they can give you one grocery list and if you cook everything in that pack (usually 3 recipes, sometimes 4) it uses up everything you bought on that grocery list. So no more "well I bought a container of X for that one recipe but now I don't know what to do with the rest". It is a subscription but you get the first 30 days for free to try it out if that sounds like it might be useful? I've only cooked one pack so far but we liked all of it and the recipes aren't very complicated.

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece and the Summer Campaign

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

5 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Oh, I used Hal a lot back when I was in better shape and running much more consistently. I've really liked his training plans! Have you used them before? 

Also I love that your second goal includes looking at food waste - that's something we're looking at too, for budget and environmental reasons. Lately I've been trying an app called Sidekick that groups recipes into "packs" where they can give you one grocery list and if you cook everything in that pack (usually 3 recipes, sometimes 4) it uses up everything you bought on that grocery list. So no more "well I bought a container of X for that one recipe but now I don't know what to do with the rest". It is a subscription but you get the first 30 days for free to try it out if that sounds like it might be useful? I've only cooked one pack so far but we liked all of it and the recipes aren't very complicated.

Thank you! I used his plans during my previous (and first) half marathon a couple of years ago and it was a good fit for me. I signed up a bit ago for another half marathon in November so have quite a bit of time to ease back into running and rebuild my baseline. Since the last time I used Hal Higdon's plans he added a few "base training" programs. So I'm doing week 1 of his Novice Base Training on repeat while I build the habit. End of May I'll start working through the program until transitioning to start actually training in mid-August. At least that's the plan right now. I already know I'll need to move around the days to better fit my work schedule. It's normally 9am-5pm ish, but every two weeks I have a late day (7pm) and an early day (5am) which adds some extra chaos to work around.

Yes... food waste. Sometimes we're really good at using everything up. And other times it's just very disheartening to see what managed to hide at the back of our refrigerator. Good luck in your own environmental/budget friendly journey against food waste!

Funny that you mention it, I was just looking up different apps and methods to track food and meal plans. I'll definitely check out your suggestion! I'm happy to eat the same meal multiple days in a row, but my BF prefers more variety in his diet. Planning multiple meals with similar ingredients sounds like a great compromise to try out ;)

1 hour ago, fearless 2.0 said:

so happy to read about the running plan. I would love to follow in your footsteps. Need to lose some weight before I can risk it ;) 

have a greta challenge!!! ❤️

Hey I'm impressed by your walks and hikes! Just getting outside and moving is a good thing, regardless of the speed. 🐾

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 3

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Your walks and runs and floof pics are the added bonus to watching you kick butt.

I hope to stick around this whole challenge this time!  Poke me if you don't see me poking in!!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

7 hours ago, J3NN said:

Star Wars Salute GIF

Wishing you a great May the 4th! And success on your challenge.

Thanks! You as well!!

2 hours ago, starpuck said:

Your walks and runs and floof pics are the added bonus to watching you kick butt.

I hope to stick around this whole challenge this time!  Poke me if you don't see me poking in!!

Lol will do. I will take that suggestion to remember to post pictures of the pup! He is very insistent on making sure that I get sufficient post run cool down walks. 

Will do and We got this! I might pick your brain also on food tracking advice if I start getting too stuck in the details.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I might pick your brain also on food tracking advice if I start getting too stuck in the details.

Absolutely!    We can try some solutions together!  See what sticks!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

It’s a busy week but I got one run in on Wednesday. 30 minutes of 1:30 min run/ 1:30 min walk repeats for total distance of 2.38 miles. It was a bit colder on Wednesday and I don’t think my warm up was good enough, so I’m going to look at a couple different options to improve that.

Felt a bit tight yesterday so instead of running did this yoga video:

Weekend is going to be busy too so I’m planning to continue to treat this as a rest week. What workouts I do - great, but if I don’t hit everything that’s okay…. For this week ;)

• Like 3

On 5/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

And probably spending a bit too much time in front of my computer playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (Star Wars MMO).

it's such a fun game.  I might have to dual boot my Mac just to get back into it this summer.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

Kicking off official week 1 of this challenge by…. Catching a head cold. Woke up slightly congested Saturday which proceeded to turn into a fever, sore throat and worse congestion. Basically cancelled all weekend plans and slept. At  least the Covid self tests for BF & I are negative so far?

Depending on energy levels I’ll do some yoga but will probably put the running and other cardio on hold until after my head no longer feels like it’s gonna explode. 

Hope everyone else is having a better challenge kickoff.  🙃

On 5/8/2022 at 7:56 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

it's such a fun game.  I might have to dual boot my Mac just to get back into it this summer.  

It really is. I get very addicted to the storylines and my characters.

Good old classic BioWare stories - once I start I get sucked into the games.

Hooboy with those symptoms.   Bummer of a deal but heeeey, so far not Cov+ is awesome!    Hope you guys get up and over the mend quickly.   Just call this Zero Week 2.0 ;)

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

On 5/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

I hope you feel better soon!! Head colds are no fun.

Following for running solidarity and meal planning inspo. It's one of those things I aspire to, but haven't figured out in the day-to-day.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, starpuck said:

Hooboy with those symptoms.   Bummer of a deal but heeeey, so far not Cov+ is awesome!    Hope you guys get up and over the mend quickly.   Just call this Zero Week 2.0 ;)

On 5/13/2022 at 3:20 PM, Alanna said:

Hope you are starting to feel better!

I am impressed by your foresight for your upcoming race - 30 weeks is a great amount of time to build a really strong base!

I would also like to request pup photos :D 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:31 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

Hope you feel better!  get well soon! ❤️

Thanks for the well wishes all! Finally starting to feel better.

Of course then I got a contact tracing email mid-week -- sounds like someone I was in a meeting with on Monday tested positive. Luckily I was already wearing a mask and haven't been experiencing any symptoms other than a lingering cough from the previous head cold?

Spoilered venting:

Spoiler

So that email sucked to receive. It has been my first contact tracing email I've received across this whole pandemic though - and I've been physically in work (manufacturing) for nearly the whole thing. So yeah lucky to have gone so long. But also anxiety.

Current protocols are since I'm fully vaccinated, including booster I just have to wear a mask unless I start getting symptoms. A coworker who was also in that meeting is not vaccinated and needs to self-quarrantine and work from home home.

We're in the same department, so I get to cover them. I do hope they don't get sick.  If they do, I'll feel terrible for saying this but I'm really freaking pissed at them for rubbing in the WFH. Just sucks to be in work and covering for the in-person day to day stuff, fielding questions from the hourly team about where this person is, preparing for a big audit that's less than a month away, all while our boss is away on vacation.

Especially after being on the occasional virtual meeting where this person has rubbed it in that they get to WFH. (Obviously in back yard with dog, at one point smoking a cigar. asking how the 5am meeting with night shift went. WTF) /rant

I owe you all a better picture of the pup. But I also really like this goofy snapshot of him (he's either ready to try and catch a tennis ball or we asked him to speak. can't quite remember)

FDpR6ijWUAMSrBx?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

Changing up my challenge a bit due to the rocky start, and a chaotic few weeks coming up at work through the next 4-5 weeks.

Exercise goal will be to do at least a 30 min dog walk and a "warm up routine" every morning before work. On days where I have meetings before 6am this will be swapped to the afternoon (or I'll do yoga instead).

Thought process is to get used to getting up, stretching and moving outside (starting with walk, transitioning to the running schedule). Luckily I have given myself a gigantic training buffer before the race in November, so no guilt there for reasonable adaptations. ((Just kinda bummed that I missed the really nice running weather by being sick)).

Food tracking will be pen & paper. With a focus on including fresh fruits & vegetables to each meal -- that seems to be the biggest gap where we have been slipping. We also decided to reuse an old whiteboard I found when decluttering a box of stuff from university -- it's currently attached to the fridge and will be used to list fresh meat, produce and even past meals in the freezer so we can better plan our menu (and not waste the food that we buy).

• Like 3

Hey Rebel.    Late in my check ins because I suck at forum consistency these days.

I hear you on the stress.   I actually did end up catching it just over a month ago and it was so weird mentally/emotionally.     I felt like somehow I failed because I caught it (so weird right?) but I am up to date and boosted, and it was just a fluke thing that someone at work had it, and it passed to two of us who both went down on the same weekend.   Your coworker rant is legit.   I'd feel the same. 

Hope that you're doing better now with all the things.

Also.  Hi puppers!!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

On 5/31/2022 at 12:34 PM, starpuck said:

Hey Rebel.    Late in my check ins because I suck at forum consistency these days.

I hear you on the stress.   I actually did end up catching it just over a month ago and it was so weird mentally/emotionally.     I felt like somehow I failed because I caught it (so weird right?) but I am up to date and boosted, and it was just a fluke thing that someone at work had it, and it passed to two of us who both went down on the same weekend.   Your coworker rant is legit.   I'd feel the same. 

Hope that you're doing better now with all the things.

Also.  Hi puppers!!

No worries, my consistency has been lacking lately also.

Coworker did end up getting it but has recovered and is back at work. I'm slowly crawling myself back into doing good things.

Thanks for checking in, hope you're doing well :)

On 5/31/2022 at 12:53 PM, Alanna said:

I like the idea of focusing on habits that will in turn support your running goals. I hope the new goals are going well and you're feeling better! 

And I also appreciate goofy pup photos :D 

Thank you! They did generally go well. The food tracking and eating more produce has been more of a success. I will definitely carry these two goals into this next challenge. ((While also hopefully being more consistent in forum check ins))

Glad you liked my dog being silly :) Hope you're doing well :)

• Like 2