[Mad Hatter] Clueless but what-everrr

Yikes, work sounds like a massively tense drama cake with anxiety icing.

I dunno Hatter, I feel like if you're allergic to a lipstick maybe you should listen to your lips instead of plastering over their complaints with primer. There are other colours, right? Or nudity.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

- It's been a social week. I went make up shopping with a friend (I had to bring her because she's the only person who wears makeup and I didn't even know where to go) and went experimental. Alas I seem to be allergic to one lipstick colour so need to figure out which ingredient is the culprit. @Scaly Freak it's very mild, do you know if there's maybe some kind of primer that could help add a protective layer? 

Are you sure it's an allergy and not a sensitivity? Yes, it matters with skincare and makeup. If you're allergic, you'll have the the allergic reaction, and when the allergen is removed the reaction ends. If it is a sensitivity, continuing to use the product that caused it will most likely lead to stronger reactions over time, potentially with some actual damage to the skin on and around your lips. I know, not what you wanted to hear, but also not the sort of information I'm going to keep to myself, for obvious reasons. 

A protective layer is a good idea, but I can't off the top of my head think of a primer that does that. The vast majority of makeup primers are formulated to make the makeup adhere closer and stay on for longer, so they could very well have the opposite effect for you, by preventing the lipstick from wearing off and maybe even make it difficult to remove.

Suggested plan for going forward from here (based on a life time of having sensitive skin): Stop using any makeup at all on your lips until they have fully healed from the reaction. Go for lip balms with lots of healing ingredients like olive oil, honey, etc while you wait. Then go back through the makeup you wore and pick out everything that touched your lips or the skin around then, in addition to the lipstick. (Don't forget any setting sprays or powders.) Test them one at a time, until you find the one that triggered the reaction on your lips - start with the lipstick though, it's the most likely culprit. 

Broadly speaking, these kinds of lipsticks are more of a gamble for someone with sensitive skin:

• Bright reds - something about the pigment makes it an irritant, though this used to be a lot more true than it is today. The industry has evolved and modern pigments are more gentle.
  • "Kiss proof" lipsticks - cream or liquid. Whatever they put in them to make them impervious and impossible to wear off from eating, kissing, drinking, etc, can be a  skin irritant
  • Liquid lipsticks, especially the one that claim to be long wearing - these are simply very drying, and this can lead to irritation, or come across as irritation

I know that didn't answer your primer question, but hopefully it helps you avoid the irritation/allergy in the future :) 

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

That work-stuff sucks :(. Are you looking for job-openings already? And is it really a bad thing to be slightly demoted at the moment, if some manager-y role will get all the blame at some point in the new future?

Anyway, I'm glad that the climbing went so well! How do you even keep up your strength? If I'd start climbing again now, I'd be hopeless :lol:.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:58 PM, Harriet said:

Yikes, work sounds like a massively tense drama cake with anxiety icing.

I dunno Hatter, I feel like if you're allergic to a lipstick maybe you should listen to your lips instead of plastering over their complaints with primer. There are other colours, right? Or nudity.

More like rage cake with fuckititis icing. But yeah.

For sure, I was just wondering about special occasions because it's a cool colour. :) Definitely won't wear it on a regular basis.

On 6/12/2022 at 7:04 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Are you sure it's an allergy and not a sensitivity? Yes, it matters with skincare and makeup. If you're allergic, you'll have the the allergic reaction, and when the allergen is removed the reaction ends. If it is a sensitivity, continuing to use the product that caused it will most likely lead to stronger reactions over time, potentially with some actual damage to the skin on and around your lips. I know, not what you wanted to hear, but also not the sort of information I'm going to keep to myself, for obvious reasons. 

A protective layer is a good idea, but I can't off the top of my head think of a primer that does that. The vast majority of makeup primers are formulated to make the makeup adhere closer and stay on for longer, so they could very well have the opposite effect for you, by preventing the lipstick from wearing off and maybe even make it difficult to remove.

Suggested plan for going forward from here (based on a life time of having sensitive skin): Stop using any makeup at all on your lips until they have fully healed from the reaction. Go for lip balms with lots of healing ingredients like olive oil, honey, etc while you wait. Then go back through the makeup you wore and pick out everything that touched your lips or the skin around then, in addition to the lipstick. (Don't forget any setting sprays or powders.) Test them one at a time, until you find the one that triggered the reaction on your lips - start with the lipstick though, it's the most likely culprit. 

Broadly speaking, these kinds of lipsticks are more of a gamble for someone with sensitive skin:

• Bright reds - something about the pigment makes it an irritant, though this used to be a lot more true than it is today. The industry has evolved and modern pigments are more gentle.
  • "Kiss proof" lipsticks - cream or liquid. Whatever they put in them to make them impervious and impossible to wear off from eating, kissing, drinking, etc, can be a  skin irritant
  • Liquid lipsticks, especially the one that claim to be long wearing - these are simply very drying, and this can lead to irritation, or come across as irritation

I know that didn't answer your primer question, but hopefully it helps you avoid the irritation/allergy in the future :) 

Sensitivity I think, it's very localized, mostly tingling. 

Good point about primers! I might just ask at the shop before throwing it away.

Oh it's for sure the lipstick. It's a dark blue/purple colour so verrry likely there's some weird stuff in there. The tingling also decreased as I drank/ate and came back when I reapplied. Didn't use anything else near my lips, I'm super lazy with make up. :D 

Thanks a bunch for your answer! I really hope it's just this one, it'd be a shame if this will become a thing. :( Never had any issues with any makeup before. Except maybe dryness as you mentioned with the long lasting lipstick, never irritated though.

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

That work-stuff sucks :(. Are you looking for job-openings already? And is it really a bad thing to be slightly demoted at the moment, if some manager-y role will get all the blame at some point in the new future?

Nope, not looking for anything. I had that one interview I mentioned at the beginning of the challenge which made me feel so very done with my profession...

Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Except for my ego. ;) My colleague who was one of the claimed leads for the other team is well happy he got demoted. So much more relaxing. :D Except there's no way they'd let me go back to just being a developer. And even if they did it wouldn't work out in practice*. But what they had in mind is really not a demotion, I just feel that way because I'm very protective of my team you know. And it takes time to build. What they want me to do is actually for me to be the backend lead (vs feature team lead) which is slightly more people to manage as well more responsibility for the backend as a whole, which I guess is technically a promotion. In practice I already know what's going to happen - I'll have to deal with all the same projects as I would with my current team, PLUS the other team's project that are still within my domain but I've been trying hard to stay away from PLUS the backend, PLUS de facto becoming lead of the whole giant team because in the end there needs to be someone who can keep shit together. Basically everything but becoming the technical lead for the app team. Which the PM also wouldn't mind me doing, he had this absurd idea that I'd learn front end really quickly so I could just do everything. 🙄 In short, I'll still get the blame for everything. Maybe I'm being overly cynical right now, it's not the first time we've been through a turbulent period and somehow we managed. And I know the PM doesn't see me the same way as the other, hate to say it, more expendable, ex-leads. But I just can't be bothered I just wanna take a nap.

*Last person who tried burned out and moved to India for an arranged marriage. Or so the rumor goes.

5 hours ago, Waanie said:

Anyway, I'm glad that the climbing went so well! How do you even keep up your strength? If I'd start climbing again now, I'd be hopeless :lol:.

1 Pole! :D I've been going 1-2 days a week pretty consistently for a while now, I'm sure it's helped even if one of the classes is purely a heels choreo class.

2 For better or worse, my still non-existent interest in food has made me drop a little weight... 

3 Watching the Brixen world cup before climbing subconsciously rubbed off on me? :D 

• Like 2

Speaking of weight, I noticed that in the right light, in the right moment, in the right pose (yes that’s a lot of ifs 😄)  my back looks jacked. I mean yeah my ass is squishing out of my shorts in this pose, but I’ll take what I can get. 😜

Also had the funnest class yesterday, I’m so happy my teacher is back! First intro to hard style and the song of choice is Mr Bombastic. 👌

Spoiler

AB29AC95-1911-41BA-BF0E-7A6B4DBC9586.jpeg.25627f6477022f00f927a40efd32fa8a.jpeg

• That's Metal 1
2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I did both I still want to Hulk smash everything. :D 

Ah, in that case:

24 And he will give their kings into your hand, and you shall make their name perish from under heaven. No one shall be able to stand against you until you have destroyed them.

• Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Speaking of weight, I noticed that in the right light, in the right moment, in the right pose (yes that’s a lot of ifs 😄)  my back looks jacked. I mean yeah my ass is squishing out of my shorts in this pose, but I’ll take what I can get. 😜

Also had the funnest class yesterday, I’m so happy my teacher is back! First intro to hard style and the song of choice is Mr Bombastic. 👌

Yaaaaaaas!! :D Cool picture!! :D

Sorry work sucks so much. :(

Challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, 13, 1415

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh it's for sure the lipstick. It's a dark blue/purple colour so verrry likely there's some weird stuff in there. The tingling also decreased as I drank/ate and came back when I reapplied. Didn't use anything else near my lips, I'm super lazy with make up. :D 

I'm intrigued by this lipstick shade.

90% of the time the issue is not the pigment, it's something else in there. Easiest way to avoid future irritation is to find a dupe shade from a different brand. :) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Except for my ego. ;) My colleague who was one of the claimed leads for the other team is well happy he got demoted. So much more relaxing. :D Except there's no way they'd let me go back to just being a developer. And even if they did it wouldn't work out in practice*. But what they had in mind is really not a demotion, I just feel that way because I'm very protective of my team you know. And it takes time to build. What they want me to do is actually for me to be the backend lead (vs feature team lead) which is slightly more people to manage as well more responsibility for the backend as a whole, which I guess is technically a promotion. In practice I already know what's going to happen - I'll have to deal with all the same projects as I would with my current team, PLUS the other team's project that are still within my domain but I've been trying hard to stay away from PLUS the backend, PLUS de facto becoming lead of the whole giant team because in the end there needs to be someone who can keep shit together. Basically everything but becoming the technical lead for the app team. Which the PM also wouldn't mind me doing, he had this absurd idea that I'd learn front end really quickly so I could just do everything. 🙄 In short, I'll still get the blame for everything. Maybe I'm being overly cynical right now, it's not the first time we've been through a turbulent period and somehow we managed. And I know the PM doesn't see me the same way as the other, hate to say it, more expendable, ex-leads. But I just can't be bothered I just wanna take a nap.

Oof, that will be a lot of politics to handle. There's a reason why teams are usually limited in size, and this would be it. How would you even make sure that the people in the giant team work together instead on little islands, and as backend tech-lead you would probably be in meetings all day. If you'll carry the responsibilities, will you also get enough mandate to get stuff done? Or would you be the messenger and get impossible deadlines? It does sound like a promotion, but also as a possibly very hard job. You'd probably get bored as "just" a back-end dev though ;).

*Last person who tried burned out and moved to India for an arranged marriage. Or so the rumor goes.

The guys I know whom this happened to, were actually happy with this arrangement... I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually true if it was an Indian of a high caste.

2 For better or worse, my still non-existent interest in food has made me drop a little weight... 

You look amazing on that picture! So strong and lean :D.

21 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Yaaaaaaas!! :D Cool picture!! :D

Sorry work sucks so much. :(

SO FUN! I love watching hard style but I don’t dare take my teacher’s class as it’s infamous for being crazy fast and I can barely keep up as it is. 😅So it’s cool she’s made a slow choreo for us!

Meh, it is what it is. We’ll see what happens.

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm intrigued by this lipstick shade.

90% of the time the issue is not the pigment, it's something else in there. Easiest way to avoid future irritation is to find a dupe shade from a different brand. :) 

Here’s an awkward selfie when I was trying to figure out if my eyeliner was acceptably wonky or not. 😅

Spoiler

59324F96-32A0-4145-B3B5-030FBE16BFD5.thumb.jpeg.175a8b820834d30c55f3af601d14d602.jpeg

Oof, that will be a lot of politics to handle. There's a reason why teams are usually limited in size, and this would be it. How would you even make sure that the people in the giant team work together instead on little islands, and as backend tech-lead you would probably be in meetings all day. If you'll carry the responsibilities, will you also get enough mandate to get stuff done? Or would you be the messenger and get impossible deadlines? It does sound like a promotion, but also as a possibly very hard job. You'd probably get bored as "just" a back-end dev though ;).

All of this! And yes I would get mandate to get stuff done, but no consideration for time. Even now I’m apparently supposed to code at least at 60%, except I’m not even physically capable to do so because only regularly scheduled meetings alone take up 2 days.🙄In practice I might get in a few hours a week at best. To be fair it hasn’t really been an issue at all, it’s just that this kind of “logic” really is mind boggling sometimes. I mean they’re smart people, how can they fail at such basic math? Similar story with setting deadlines. 

The guys I know whom this happened to, were actually happy with this arrangement... I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually true if it was an Indian of a high caste.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t see anything negative about it. Assuming it’s not forced of course. Maybe it wouldn’t be the most romantic of relationships (though you never know!) but it seems to me that much of marriage is more about putting in the work anyway, so as long as you have two willing partners and a smidge of attraction I don’t see why not? Certainly saves one the hassle of dating in this awful tinder era. 😄

You look amazing on that picture! So strong and lean :D.

Thank you! Though ngl the light is doing the heavy lifting here haha. Fun fact, I’m right on the edge of overweight according to BMI, depending on time of day. 😛

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Even now I’m apparently supposed to code at least at 60%

Wait what, are there any people who are not VERY junior that code 60% of the time? That's almost 5 hours per day! I can't imagine true seniors doing this, let alone a tech lead.

13 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Certainly saves one the hassle of dating in this awful tinder era. 😄

Well, not really, it's just that the dating is done by your family instead of by yourself!

14 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thank you! Though ngl the light is doing the heavy lifting here haha. Fun fact, I’m right on the edge of overweight according to BMI, depending on time of day. 😛

You don't look at the edge of overweight on that picture, but I know how posing and light can really help here. I'm also borderline overweight or not, but my uni colleagues didn't believe that at all. Muscles for the win ;).

6 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Wait what, are there any people who are not VERY junior that code 60% of the time? That's almost 5 hours per day! I can't imagine true seniors doing this, let alone a tech lead.

You know what, I think most people at my company do and we don’t have any juniors. And actually it was the same at my previous job… I see it as if the lead is doing their job well then the devs can focus on the thing they enjoy, which is coding. My observation is that most techy people don’t want to sit in meetings or have discussions about stupid shit, they just want to  build things. Being a lead is for sure a full time job though.

18 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Well, not really, it's just that the dating is done by your family instead of by yourself!

Oh god I’m now picturing my parents setting me up on a date. It’s only hypothetical and I already have a strong urge to flee.

19 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Muscles for the win ;).

🤘

• Haha 1

Oh god I’m now picturing my parents setting me up on a date. It’s only hypothetical and I already have a strong urge to flee.

Well, no, imagine your (grand-)parents going on a date with the parents of your future spouse... I am glad though that dating was relatively painless for me because it was just guys at uni and not even having to try to find someone.

You know what, I think most people at my company do and we don’t have any juniors. And actually it was the same at my previous job… I see it as if the lead is doing their job well then the devs can focus on the thing they enjoy, which is coding. My observation is that most techy people don’t want to sit in meetings or have discussions about stupid shit, they just want to  build things. Being a lead is for sure a full time job though.

Really now? I must be doing something wrong then. It's not just meetings, but also design sessions, determining what ACTUALLY should be done, writing documentation, admin, etc. that all in all takes a lot of time.

1 minute ago, Waanie said:

Well, no, imagine your (grand-)parents going on a date with the parents of your future spouse... 

No Way Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Really now? I must be doing something wrong then. It's not just meetings, but also design sessions, writing documentation, admin, etc. that all in all takes a lot of time.

Might just be a question of semantics. I see design sessions and technical discussions as part of development. Same with writing docs, though I’ll admit I avoid them like the plague.😄Admin really shouldn’t be a lot for most people I hope. But there’s so many factors that play a role here, for example the length of the projects. Ours are currently many month long so once everyone knows what they’re doing there’s not a lot of overhead. I also do A LOT of the prep and “misc” work so the others don’t have to, but that only works if it’s a big enough team. But thinking about it, I feel like the amount of distractions has less to do with seniority and more to do with how long you stayed at a company, how many people you know and stuff like that. 🤔

• Like 2

Always so much going on here that I feel silly just saying something, it needs a full conversation, so many questions! But you must be really good at this job? Is that because of your tendency to ehh can I say 'obsess'? or despite? 

The other picture won't work for me, but the lipstick is great :) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 6/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Here’s an awkward selfie when I was trying to figure out if my eyeliner was acceptably wonky or not. 😅

That eyeliner is kick-ass. And the lipstick shade looks great with your eyes! :)