Mistr edits her story

Mistr edits her story

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4783epfquzzb9v9mkozd

My goal for this challenge is to reframe my story so that I feel better about my life.

I had a bad week in April. Not that anything actually happened, just that I was super stressed about things at work. The tasks I needed to do were not harder or less pleasant than usual. There were a couple instances of poor communication coupled with my brain telling me stories that put the situation in a bad light. I felt stressed because I was worried about bad things happening, not because anything was going badly at the time.

I know historically that I want to do more things than can fit in a day or a week. I am not doing myself any favors by overestimating what I can do, then being disappointed that I didn't do everything. Just because I sometimes have very productive days does not mean that I need to feel bad about having less productive days. I have a lot more control over how I feel than I want to admit.

In my last challenge I focused on doing just one thing at a time. That made a big difference in reducing my stress. This time I am going to continue doing one thing at a time and also look at the stories my brain is telling. I know that "I'm tired and I want to go home" really means "I don't want to deal with this". The impulse to get food rarely has anything to do with being hungry. There are other stories my brain wants to tell me that need editing too. If I am going to have a good life, I have to frame my choices to fit the new narrative. No waiting for anything external to change.

Supporting goals:

1. Get enough sleep
  2. Sit zen every day

Both of these things help me notice what my brain is doing and give me the resources to do editing.

All the other recommended activities like eating healthy and exercising are optional. I would love to be able to keep a regular schedule of doing them, but that might not be feasible. I will make the choices that look best on the moment and do what I can to set things up so tomorrow is better.

• Like 5

Level 68  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

Zero week summary

I got closer to implementing my new strategy by the weekend. Friday evening I packed up my work stuff and put it away for the weekend. Not that I was caught up, there were plenty of things for me to work on. I just left them for a change. I went to aikido for an hour and then did grocery shopping. I would have enjoyed doing two hours of aikido, but I would not have enjoyed going to the grocery store on a Saturday, so that was a strategic choice.

I did a good mix of productive and fun stuff over the weekend. I had lunch with a friend and we went plant shopping together. This weekend we had two days of spring weather after a long cold stretch. Spring flowers are fully two weeks behind normal, even the dandelions. That will change as we have a week of summer weather hitting starting tomorrow - upper 80s (~30ºC) and humid. I am going to do gardening tonight to give the new plants a fighting chance.

My plan was to do gardening yesterday but my cooking took longer than expected. I braised a pork shoulder and baked a squash while it was still cool enough to have the oven on for hours. I also finished making the soup that I started earlier in the week. I picked up more plastic containers for lunches at the store. Now I feel like I can do batch lunch prep and have that taken care of in advance. I realized that my brain appreciates knowing that I have good food to eat. Sure, I could buy take-out, but that is uncertain and more work. Having food in the fridge is comforting.

I got some wool prep done while doing the required Mother's day call with my mother-in-law. That got enough prepped to wash another batch. It is rinsing now. Making progress on the fleece that has been sitting on the porch all winter feels good.

Today at work was busy, as usual. I sent off an email requesting an informational interview about a job I'm considering "for a friend".  We will see if anything comes of that. I read through the job description again and thought "I've done that" for more than half the things listed. Just the idea of having an alternative helps a lot with my stress.

• Like 4

Level 68  Viking paladin

Week 1 - Tuesday

My main objective (outside of work) was gardening. I did three sessions:

• Before 7:00am I weeded the flower bed on the street corner and planted a dozen moss roses. This is my only area that gets full sun all day. The soil is mostly clay. I wanted to get this bed taken care of while it was still damp from the rain the previous night. The soil will dry to concrete during the hot weather this week. It looks like the snapdragons did not make it through the winter. I will pick up some more flowers to put in their place (after the next rain).
  • At lunchtime I planted two cherry tomato plants in big pots. Last year I randomly chose tomatoes at the garden center. I saved the tags from the ones that did well and tasted good. This weekend the garden center had one standard tomato variety ("Mortgage Lifter") and two cherry tomatoes ("Sweet Million" and "Sunsugar") that I wanted. However, the cherry tomato plants were only in 4-packs. I do not have room for 8 cherry tomato plants in my garden. However, I do have a bunch of big pots and can grow a few as container plants. The little tomatoes look silly in the big pots, but I know that will change quickly. I planted basil seeds around them to fill in the space and get a head start on basil plants. I moved the other little plants from the 4-packs to bigger individual greenhouse pots.
  • After work I planted four tomatoes in the main vegetable bed. It looks like I have some volunteer lettuce seedlings. Nothing else from last year is coming up yet.

I also have plants to put in my hanging baskets. What I don't have are liners for the baskets. My baskets are metal scrollwork with coco fiber liners. I put plastic mesh between the liners and the soil which lets me usually get two years of use out of them. I will go to a different store on my way to aikido tonight so I can get basket liners and scope out their plant selection. B)

I did okay with setting down work at 5pm, but went back later in the evening (remotely). I did not want to face so much backlog first thing in the morning today. I think that was a good decision for managing stress.

I heard from a contact in the team that is hiring. They have already done interviews for the position I'm interested in. I don't know yet if that means I missed my chance on that job. She hasn't gotten back to me on when we could have lunch. I will be only slightly disappointed if this opportunity does not work out. I want to stay with my current team until our new hires are trained and taking some of the workload. That would be July at the earliest. The end of the summer would be better. There could be other openings between now and then.

I finished reading Spear by Nicola Griffith. It was a lovely historical fantasy and I highly recommend it. Part of my brain says that it was a mistake for me to pick it up and finish last night. The rest of my brain says that it was just the thing. Making that choice and doing more work meant that I did not do exercise or sit zen.

I also got to bed later than planned. I woke up on time anyway, which means I am running on less sleep today. I decided it was worth it to have caffeinated tea this morning. I hope I don't pay too dearly for that tonight. I plan on going to aikido. Hopefully the physical exercise will help me sleep.

• Like 4

Level 68  Viking paladin

On 5/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, Mistr said:

I had a bad week in April. Not that anything actually happened, just that I was super stressed about things at work. The tasks I needed to do were not harder or less pleasant than usual. There were a couple instances of poor communication coupled with my brain telling me stories that put the situation in a bad light. I felt stressed because I was worried about bad things happening, not because anything was going badly at the time.

This is how my anxiety brain works too.  Hm. I hope you're better at fire fighting in work circumstances than I am.

And now that I have found you, I will stalk follow your thread!

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42

Mostly on track.

I have been doing the thing that is in front of me. Lots of gardening. Lots of work. Some fun things like spinning, playing the piano and doing aikido.

Meditation has been pretty decent. Sleep has been a challenge. Apparently I cannot sleep in when it gets light out so early. I have been waking up at 5:30 or earlier, regardless of when I go to bed. Not helpful, brain. I took naps at lunchtime the last two days.

Work continues to be a zoo. Our new people did not finish their training as scheduled. That means we are three people short all the time until they can start taking some of the workload. I hope that will start happening by the end of this week. It also means that I have to take a hard look at how we do remote training and revise the plan for next time. Our last new hire did okay with a similar schedule, but he did at least a third of his training in person.

On the home front, Elf quit their job again. This is not a great pattern. I hope they can find something decent and stick with it. Cleo continues to struggle with health issues. She really cannot take a job until all that is sorted out because she would have to take time off. She also is worried about losing her current insurance, which is pretty good. I think they are doing some cleaning. The upstairs toilet is now clean, and it wasn't me who scrubbed it. I have been busy all the time and have not talked to them since last weekend.

We are celebrating Cleo's birthday this weekend. Apparently this is a new thing for her. Go figure.

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

Meditation has been pretty decent. Sleep has been a challenge. Apparently I cannot sleep in when it gets light out so early. I have been waking up at 5:30 or earlier, regardless of when I go to bed. Not helpful, brain. I took naps at lunchtime the last two days.

Ugh, I feel this in my soul. Seems like no matter what time I get to bed, once it gets too light out, that's it. I lay in bed with my eyes closed because they don't want to open, but that's not really sleep.

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

On the home front, Elf quit their job again. This is not a great pattern. I hope they can find something decent and stick with it.

I hope things work out for them too. I don't know enough about their circumstances to have a good opinion about how they are now, but I do hope they find a good place.

• Like 1

I am starting to realize that fitting things into every minute of my day is not the path to fulfillment. As you might expect, I am doing this experiment by repeated testing.

It turns out that I can indeed stay pretty much on track all day from when I get up to when I go to bed. I can even do that a couple days in a row. By the end of the second day I am mentally worn out. Geez, who woulda guessed?

I feel much better about the world when I give myself some down time. This weekend that meant not doing the overtime I had planned. I'm not sure how that is going to play out. The work still needs to get done. I will make a solid effort to get caught up on Monday.

I want to see if strength training will give me more energy. It takes both mental and physical energy to do it, which has been lacking for the last month. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on making this work. At least it is spring and it is light out at 5:30am.

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

I did strength training this morning for the first time in over a month. I also sat zen at lunchtime.

My current plan is to be fully scheduled today and Wednesday. I will be working from home on Tuesday and can give myself more flexibility to do things when I want. I took Friday off so I will have a four-day weekend.

I would like to do more gardening. Everything I am starting from seed is planted. I still have some flowers from the garden center to transplant. I wanted to get more creeping phlox but they ran out of them. It just occurred to me that I can transplant sections of my own creeping phlox. It will grow in to fill the gaps. That is one of the features of the plant. The rest of what I want to do is cleaning up. Cutting out dead stuff, tying up the raspberries, cleaning up the compost pile. That will finish up getting the gardens in shape for the summer.

A fun thing I started a couple weeks ago was playing piano. I was doing this several years ago but dropped it. I can't say why I wanted to pick it up again now, but it feels like the right thing to do. I got the piano tuned last week. Cleo is also playing some. She plays by ear and is not willing to do it when anyone is around. I get that. I don't want to subject people to listening to my mistakes either. It is gratifying to see how fast my skills are coming back. I am working on playing pieces I used to know well. It will be a bit before I start learning new music.

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

A fun thing I started a couple weeks ago was playing piano. I was doing this several years ago but dropped it. I can't say why I wanted to pick it up again now, but it feels like the right thing to do. I got the piano tuned last week. Cleo is also playing some. She plays by ear and is not willing to do it when anyone is around. I get that. I don't want to subject people to listening to my mistakes either. It is gratifying to see how fast my skills are coming back. I am working on playing pieces I used to know well. It will be a bit before I start learning new music.

This makes my soul happy. Making music is one of the greatest genuine pleasures in life. (And good for Cleo! I hope she starts feeling confident in her playing, whether she is willing to let anyone listen or not!)

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42

Gardening phase I is complete!

I got all the plants from the garden center into the ground yesterday. The front flower garden is completely done. The vegetable bed is done if the seeds I planted come up. There are more potential seedlings on the porch. It looks like the alyssum started to germinate. I'm not holding my breath about these. Most of the seeds were packets from last year or several years ago. I put in a lot of seeds in hope that some were still viable. If they make it, they will be phase III. I might also pick up a few more herbs at the farmers market.

Phase II is garden clean-up this weekend. This will involve resetting the compost pile, cutting dead branches, raking up dead leaves from the corners and tying up the raspberries.

I have done next to nothing in the house for the last week. Yesterday Cleo did a few dishes because the pile by the sink was growing again. I said lots of encouraging things. This is the first time I've seen her do dishes.

I did 15 minutes of dishes this morning to get the big things off the counter. That makes the remaining pile look much easier to face. I will be curious to see if anyone else gets to those dishes before Friday. I won't be around to be bothered until then.

My next project is to finish the summer/winter clothing swap. I took care of most of it last weekend. The last thing to put away are shorts and slacks. I am afraid that I still won't be able to fit into most of my slacks. :(  I will promise myself an appropriate non-food bribe and try them on. That will let me get the bins back in the attic so I will stop tripping over them. A few things still need to be washed. It is Dumbledore's turn to do laundry this week. If he doesn't get it done, I will ask to trade chores so I can finish this project.

I can tell I really need a break from work. Back to the grind for a day and a half, then I get a mini-vacation.

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

Some martial arts discussion, since I am a Monk after all.

Saturday was intermediate/advanced class with our chief instructor. She asked for requests, as she often does. There was a request for a technique with a tricky transition (sankyo ura) and a request for randori. We have not done much randori since we came back from lockdown. It is an area where I need a lot of work.  The class was all blackbelts, and all fairly mellow people. That helps for this kind of training.

There are several different practices in this category and different dojos use different names. We started off with gia waza, where the attacker (uke) can do any attack and the defender (nage) can choose any response. We did this with two attackers to keep things moving more quickly. That also lets Nage  practice controlling the space by placing uke #1 in the way or uke #2. In theory the ukes can choose any attack, but nage can influence the feasible attacks by where she holds her hands and how she moves. We often do free practice as a warm up or review, so this was pretty comfortable for me.

The randori we start with has at least three attackers. They are limited to an attack of grabbing both of nage's shoulders (the zombie attack). Nage can choose any response. The attackers don't wait for each other. Their goal to all grab and immobilize nage. This is the plain vanilla basic form of randori. Other levels add more people, attacks or constraints. 

The newest blackbelt, who made the request, started off. He did pretty well although he did get caught at the end. Several other people went before me and did really well. I did better than I expected. I managed the space well and never lost my composure. That is a real win. I remember lots of times being terrified. I need to work on keeping my arms in my center and not trying to push away my ukes.

Today my weapons partner and I worked on just those things. The most effective response is to move in very close to uke and move into their space, taking their balance. There is a classic throw where nage moves in towards uke, putting her hands in uke's elbows. She moves one elbow up and the other down as she rotates her hips and throws uke. That throw is tempting, but not actually a good choice most of the time. What works better is to move in towards uke in such a way that they can't quite grab, moving their elbow, shoulder or hip off the line. That lets nage keep moving and throws uke off-balance, preferably in the way of another uke. The advantage is that the simple redirection is much faster. Trying to throw people is often too slow. About four passes to one throw typically works well. When you see really senior people do randori, it looks like they are made of teflon. The ukes just can't grab or hit them. There are not a lot of throws, just ukes bouncing off and running into each other. In a test situation, nage gets style points if they can set it up so two of their ukes hit each other.

Getting focused practice time with my weapons partner helps a lot. In theory we could do this at open mat on Sundays. However as senior students it is our responsibility to help the new students. That often means we don't get time to work on our own weak points. That said, I am planning on going to practice Friday and Saturday. I might even go for part of open mat on Sunday and go to morning class on Monday. I will be officially on vacation and can do the fun things.

• Like 4

Level 68  Viking paladin

Found you before the challenge ended this time...progress! :D

On 5/6/2022 at 6:34 PM, Mistr said:

I relate to this, sometimes my brain just wants to make life difficult because it's not I think

On 5/9/2022 at 6:17 PM, Mistr said:

Having food in the fridge is comforting.

I've finally gotten D to understand this about me when I do meal prep, it's like one less stressor.

I'm jealous of the gardening, hopefully next year we'll have things settled enough to where we can plan one! I'll live vicariously through yours until then :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Wrestle, It's all about the pin

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 75

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 5/23/2022 at 3:12 AM, Mistr said:

I am starting to realize that fitting things into every minute of my day is not the path to fulfillment. As you might expect, I am doing this experiment by repeated testing.

It turns out that I can indeed stay pretty much on track all day from when I get up to when I go to bed. I can even do that a couple days in a row. By the end of the second day I am mentally worn out. Geez, who woulda guessed?

It's fine to have the theory, but we don't *really* learn it until we experience it and take note, I guess. Good to have that data.

On 5/24/2022 at 12:22 AM, Mistr said:

I did strength training this morning for the first time in over a month. I also sat zen at lunchtime.

Yay strength!

On 5/25/2022 at 7:39 PM, Mistr said:

My next project is to finish the summer/winter clothing swap. I took care of most of it last weekend. The last thing to put away are shorts and slacks. I am afraid that I still won't be able to fit into most of my slacks. :(  I will promise myself an appropriate non-food bribe and try them on. That will let me get the bins back in the attic so I will stop tripping over them. A few things still need to be washed. It is Dumbledore's turn to do laundry this week. If he doesn't get it done, I will ask to trade chores so I can finish this project

Swapping out winter and summer clothes sounds hugely civilised--much better than just shoving everything haphazardly in the cupboard and having to search without success every time one needs to get dressed.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

A four-day weekend let me make progress on several fronts but not quite finish anything. In looking back, I wonder if I might have felt more accomplishment if I had just concentrated on a couple projects and got those done. This feels like an attitude problem rather than me having made poor choices. As evidence, here is some of what I did:

• Gardening - all the planting is done. I cleaned out weeds in one of the landscape areas and transplanted three chunks of creeping phlox.  I started cleaning out another section but ended up cutting out dead branches from bushes and did not get to the planting. 
  • Mowing - I did the back yard and side yard. This was the first mowing of the back yard this year. We told the neighbors that we were doing "no-mow May" to support bees, but really we were just slow. I love how it looks when the violets and dandelions are blooming. That was two weeks ago. Now the violets and dandelions were knee high. I bagged the clippings and had to stop and empty the bag a lot. I now have a big pile of greens to start a new compost pile. Dumbledore promised to mow the front yard. I don't think he is going to have time to do it before he leaves for a business trip. Luckily, he mowed it last week so it is not as tall.
  • Washing wool - I sat out on the porch and talked with people and prepped wool for washing (picking out plant material and put it in mesh bags); then washed a load. I am making gradual progress on the fleece I got for free last summer. Some of the wool is lovely - long and even.  Some is probably not great, but I have plans for a felting project that can use it.
  • Cleaning - upstairs bathroom toilet, sink and counter are done. The bathtub needs serious scrubbing too. I will do that next weekend if no one else gets to it before then.
  • Laundry - Dumbledore passed the laundry to me on Sunday. Two loads are done. The rest can wait until next week.
  • Clothes swap - I used my 10 seconds of courage and tried on all the shorts and slacks. None of my size 12 stuff fits. Luckily I saved all the size 14 stuff from before the last time I lost weight. The sweaters are all washed and the boxes are ready to go back in the attic.
  • Cooking - made bread and cookies. Other people like fluffy white bread that I have no interest in eating. I made multigrain bread. Dumbledore says he wants to bake, but doesn't actually want to take the time right now. 
  • Grocery shopping
  • Aikido - excellent advanced class with the chief instructor
  • Zen - at home and with the group on Sunday. Went out with people afterwards and had good conversation. It is nice to have a relaxed opportunity to get to know people I see regularly. We don't have any opportunity to talk in the zendo. ;) 
  • Picnic with Dumbledore and took a walk in our old neighborhood. Also got ice cream and watched an episode of Dark Matter.
  • Played piano
  • Spinning
  • Washed dishes. The dishwasher is leaking so we have even more dishes piled up than usual. Dumbledore and Elf also washed dishes. The pile seems to stay the same size.

Elf is making progress on their job hunt. They had an interview at a place that has benefits and full-time hours. Cleo is still having health issues. She is getting the run-around between doctors and clinics. Very frustrating. None of the chronic conditions she is dealing with have reached a steady maintenance state yet. The two of them have stepped up on cooking. Over the last few days they have made chicken with veggies and calazones. I would like to ask them for help with the yard work, but Elf is having bad allergies and Cleo is too shaky to be using a lawn mower.

The plumber is coming today so the dish problem will get better. I am going to go home this evening instead of going to aikido so that I can take care of other things. Filing health care reimbursements is back at the top of my list. I also want to get to bed early because I have to take Dumbledore to the airport at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

11 hours ago, Mistr said:

As evidence, here is some of what I did:

That is an impressive list! You got a lot of stuff done.

• Like 1

Going home instead of to aikido was the right choice. There was a lot of plumbing aftermath to deal with.

We had a list of minor things that were not serious enough to call the plumber about on their own. It turned out that some of those were items that needed to be replaced rather than repaired. The plumber and his son did three hours of work and fixed pipes and faucets in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room and mud room. He also tightened the water connection to the ice maker in the freezer, which apparently was loose and likely to cause a flood at any moment. The only things he did not fix were the outside faucets, which he replaced three years ago.

We were lucky to find the leak in the dishwasher drain pipe before it caused serious damage to the kitchen cabinet. That said, everything had to be pulled out and cleaned. Dumbledore had already taken all the stuff out and cleaned some of it. I pulled off the shelf liner paper (which was soaked and holding water) and scrubbed out the cabinet with disinfectant cleaner. We have a fan blowing in it to dry out the wood. Dumbledore ran the dishwasher and washed a bunch of dishes. There is still a pile, but it is not as scary as it was.

The laundry room was another area of major disruption. I was not surprised to learn that the faucets had to be replaced rather than repaired. They were probably original to the house, which makes them 50+ years old. The laundry sink was clearly installed by the same do-it-yourselfer who screwed up installation of the previous water heater. The sink was not secured to anything and was not level, so it didn't drain properly. The faucets were not actually attached to the sink, just suspended over it by the pipes. Those things are now fixed. I cleaned up the area and put things away.

Hopefully that will take care of all our plumbing needs for the next 10 years. Three hours of time from two plumbers plus parts = $$$$$

• Like 1

Level 68  Viking paladin

Sounds like they accomplished a lot in 3 hours! I hate spending the $$ for home repairs but it's always good when they're done

• Like 1

Spoiler

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

He also tightened the water connection to the ice maker in the freezer, which apparently was loose and likely to cause a flood at any moment.

Regardless of how much you had to pay your plumber for this visit, preventing this flood was worth it, I promise.

And a properly working laundry sink is a marvelous thing to have.

• Like 1

I am working from home today and enjoying beautiful weather. I also have company.

PQsUhtf.png

The hummingbirds have been coming to the feeder all the time. I think with the cold spring they have needed the extra calories. I am sure there are at least two because they don't get along. Every so often I see two shadows whirring and go zipping off. One of them will sit down sometimes, and spread his tail feathers. The other always keeps his tail tight. I'm pretty sure they are both male because they are bright green. Last summer I had females coming to the feeder. They are a duller color.

I am very pleased with the garden this spring. The irises I transplanted two years ago are blooming! These were in a garden bed in the back yard that had become too shady for them. They like lots of sun.

Cut for size

Spoiler

Plus the lilacs from last week. This was a shoot from a bush that my grandmother gave me. 

kTsbVnK.jpg?1

The seedlings are doing well too, but those are not photogenic yet.

• Like 2

Level 68  Viking paladin

Reframing seems to have helped because I am not as stressed.

Yesterday was crazy busy at work and I just dealt with it. I did decide to skip aikido, which was the right thing to do. I made progress on some projects over the weekend. There is at least a glow in the direction that could be the end of the tunnel.

Spoiler

Dumbledore came home from his trip with a cold. 

Then he found out that the people he stayed with last weekend are positive for Covid.

So yesterday he got tested. He is positive. I have definitely been exposed. Part of the reason I skipped aikido yesterday was that I did not want to expose my friends to whatever virus Dumbledore has.

I'm not sure if I am feeling tired today because I have been short on sleep the last few days, or because I'm getting sick. I had a filling at the dentist today, so my head has other reasons to feel funny.

I have an appointment to get tested tomorrow. I may have to miss some activities this weekend. Hopefully we will be better before we leave for vacation in a week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Level 68  Viking paladin

Hoping everything turns out 'well' for the future plans!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

I hope the appointment went well and any illness you have is short and mild for both you and Dumbledore!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, Mistr said:

Reframing seems to have helped because I am not as stressed.

Yesterday was crazy busy at work and I just dealt with it. I did decide to skip aikido, which was the right thing to do. I made progress on some projects over the weekend. There is at least a glow in the direction that could be the end of the tunnel.

Hide contents

Dumbledore came home from his trip with a cold. 

Then he found out that the people he stayed with last weekend are positive for Covid.

So yesterday he got tested. He is positive. I have definitely been exposed. Part of the reason I skipped aikido yesterday was that I did not want to expose my friends to whatever virus Dumbledore has.

I'm not sure if I am feeling tired today because I have been short on sleep the last few days, or because I'm getting sick. I had a filling at the dentist today, so my head has other reasons to feel funny.

I have an appointment to get tested tomorrow. I may have to miss some activities this weekend. Hopefully we will be better before we leave for vacation in a week.

Did you get tested? Are you okay? And is Dumbledore doing all right? Best wishes and good health to you all.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru