SakuraKitsune's 2nd Challenge | 08/05/22 | Controlling the Beast & Embracing the Warrior

1. Controlling the Beast

giphy1.gif?w=392

The Background

Last challenge was both part successful and part not. My old enemy food addiction crept up on me hardcore last month. Like hardcore. I piled weight back on as I used things as excuses to binge. In fact, all my very hard work to where I had gotten this year has been completely reversed.  When I got on the scales today and saw 99kg (I had gotten down to 89.9kg) I was devastated and told myself I couldn't let myself go over 100kg again. I had promised myself that much. I need to finally treat this as an addition and face my demon.

The Research

As an ex-smoker, I'm very well versed in how an addition feels and how hard it can be to overcome. I even once quit fructose and sugar for 3 years because I had a major addiction to chocolate. So this ain't my first rodeo. With this being my first day deciding to treat this like quitting smoking and an addition I started reflecting on all those old techniques I used.

• Recognising when I'm craving and taking a deep breath to count to 10, or deep breathing. The intense physical sensations of craving tend to only last 60 seconds, so I just need to get through that.
  • I deleted my UberEats and DoorDash apps. I do order miso for my fast day because a local business does it way better than I ever could, but it takes effort for me to re-download, order, and then delete. That's good. It all has to be very conscious. 
  • I'm aware how drinking weaken resolve and increases cravings. I will try out the exception of with friends when out; but I cannot keep drinking when I get home- so no drinking at home rule. 
  • Working consciously through my reasons to feel good with addictions can help. I have an old addictions workbook I'm going to get back out and work through again to help my mental understanding and resolve. 
  • I'm not ready for occasional decisions to have meals I am craving. They cause me to cave into binging. Apart from my week in Fiji I need to leave these for alone for a while to reset and introduce these later. Again this is hard will friends for social occasions (I barely get out so want to keep encouraging this), so same rule again- no cheat meals alone and/or at home.

The Goals

(All these goals are not inclusive of my week holiday in Fiji from Sunday 15 May - Sunday 22 May, which I will address separately.)

☑ Do not order any food from delivery apps. (Exceptions will be reduced to soups, sashimi/chicken, salads and occasional soy chai's with no added honey.)

☑ No drinking at home. 

☑ Work through the Eat, Drink and be Mindful workbook again.

☑ No 'cheat meals' alone and/or at home.

2. Embracing the Warrior 

1461573465-4129dd36c1fd09ca1de601bcc789d

The Background

Despite struggling with my nutrition last month, I ended up falling into a good pattern with my fitness. I ended up signing up to my local gym again when I realised I had hit a wall with home lifting, and started enjoying their gym floor class in Strength Conditioning, HIIT, Boxing (I missed boxing so much!), Core, and more. While working towards some NF Quests on the side, I achieved some huge things for myself- like lifting 7% of my bodyweight in a deadlift! I also bought a set of bathroom scales that measure body fat, muscle, bone density, water etc. and stared concentrating more on gaining muscle and losing fat than trying to just "losing weight". I even realised the connection between needing to fuel my body with the right food amount in order to exercise and suddenly wanting to do this more than use fad diets to lose weight any way possible. So huge mental progress here. I finally felt like a warrior in training and I want to keep embracing that.

Warrior Quests

☑ Read a book about a style other than your own (decided to go humorous on this and got The Swoly Bible.)
☑ Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg)
☑ Bench press .5x your bodyweight (45kg)

☑ Snatch 1/3x your bodyweight (30kg)

☑ Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m)
☑ BONUS: Deadlift 1x your bodyweight

Rebel Quests

Get an A on your 4 Week Challenge
☑ Complete a Wall Walk

• Like 5

⭐2022 Challenges: Mar-Apr, May-Jun, Jun-Jul, Jul-Sep, Sep-Oct, Oct-Nov, Dec(Mini)

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

On 5/7/2022 at 7:40 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

Warrior Quests

☑ Read a book about a style other than your own (decided to go humorous on this and got The Swoly Bible.)
☑ Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg)
☑ Bench press .5x your bodyweight (45kg)

☑ Snatch 1/3x your bodyweight (30kg)

☑ Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m)

Is it time to add DL bodyweight to the list? 😀 Did I read that you recently hit 75%? 💪

• That's Metal 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, SakuraKitsune said:

I even realised the connection between needing to fuel my body with the right food amount in order to exercise and suddenly wanting to do this more than use fad diets to lose weight any way possible.

This is a huge mindset win!

How is Week 1 going for you?

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:40 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

With a title like that, you're practically obligated to review the book after reading it. :D 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Back from my holiday in Fiji. It was amazing and I finally feel like I'm starting to work on my life goal of seeing the world.
But I really did eat and drink a lot 😅 and as predicted I felt pretty awful about myself when I got back on those scales. Back over 100kg. Urgh, and I worked so hard to get under 90 just a few months ago.
d0f6d533612b39f86b67a9125bcf3d56a4a9b6d7

Welp, easy come easy go, right? But it's fine. I'll admit it's been a hard month with my mum being diagnosed with bowel cancer too, so there's been emotional eating too. But after a sooky cry feeling sorry for myself today, I finally got my warrior mentality back and told myself to get pick myself up and just do it again. If I've done it once before I can do it again >:0 RAWR!
anime-motivation.gif 

So this morning I sat down and figured out my food for the next 7 days. That felt good. I'm ready to start tomorrow. To prep for my nutritional goals I'm going to:
☑ Delete all delivery apps on my mobile before I go to bed.

☑ Put away all the alcohol into a cupboard before I go to bed.

☑ Get the Eat, Drink and be Mindful workbook out and put somewhere noticeable ready to start again tomorrow.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:17 AM, Alanna said:

This is a huge mindset win!

Thank you! Yeah, I have kept in my plans eating back protein when I work out as 'free calories' as in not really counting them because I just need them to recover muscle right after my workout. I want to keep trying to grip onto that mindset.

With exercise unfortunately I'm locked in for 7 days after travelling, but that is only until the end of this week and then next week I'm back to the gym. I've already figured out my plan each week. I'm going to keep doing gym floor classes 5 days a week while I'm losing weight and building base strength, but will do some weight lifting after boxing once a week to try hit some Warrior goals.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:48 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

Is it time to add DL bodyweight to the list? 😀 Did I read that you recently hit 75%? 💪

I DID! I think I was a bit nervous about adding it to this month so focused on other types of lifting goals, but maybe you're right and I shouldn't wimp out 😂 Will add and try. I think I need to get a chalk bag and maybe some wrist straps to help me though. Guess that's to add to my pre to do list:

☑ Buy chalk bag for my chalk

☑ Look into wrist straps while grip is still increasing to help reaching DL goal

☑ Get The Swoly Bible ready for some fun reading too.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:14 PM, Scaly Freak said:

With a title like that, you're practically obligated to review the book after reading it. :D 

Will do!

Okay- I feel ready to tackle this again and no stopping until I get back under 90!! I have 5 weeks until I start a very full on work contract for the rest of the year and I need to be feeling great for that!
And thank you to you guys for checking in on me 😊 It always makes me smile 💜

WOO LET'S GO!
sVQHda3.gif

• Like 1

⭐2022 Challenges: Mar-Apr, May-Jun, Jun-Jul, Jul-Sep, Sep-Oct, Oct-Nov, Dec(Mini)

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

With only 17 Days left for me of this challenge due to travelling on holiday for the first part, I'm going to set up a tracker like this and keep editing this post.

Goal Tracking

Key: ⬛Not applicable | ⬜Not started | 🔄In process | ☑Completed | ❌Failed

1. Controlling the Beast

No take-away food, no drinking at home, no cheat meals:

Su   Mo   Tu   We   Th   Fr   Sa
Wk3: ⬛⬛⬛⬛✅✅❌
Wk4: ❌❌❌❌❌❌❌
Wk5: ❌❌❌❌❌❌

⬜ Work through the Eat, Drink and be Mindful workbook again.

2. Embracing the Warrior 

a. Warrior Quests

✅ Read a book about a style other than your own: The Swoly Bible
✅ Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg)
🔄 Bench press .5x your bodyweight (45kg) - current max: 37kg

✅ Snatch 1/3x your bodyweight (30kg)

✅ Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m)
⬜ BONUS: Deadlift 1x your bodyweight - won't be able to attempt due to being unwell

b. Rebel Quests

🔄 Complete a Wall Walk - studied how to work up to it NF and managed to put feet up the wall but too scared to walk hands in to wall.
❌Get an A on your 4 Week Challenge (if all of the above are completed perfectly)

• Like 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Thursday 26 May

Good start. Using a combination of MacroFoodz and Dietlicious on 800-900 calories in ketosis at the moment to get myself going again. It's just easier when I make myself go brainless and just get the freezer meal out of the fridge, shove it in the microwave, eat. Focusing on taking my vitamins, drinking enough water, and sleeping enough too. Got through the day without feeling hungry. Ordered weightlifting straps to aids my DL goals and some more chalk.

Friday 27 May

Morning

Starting to get the headaches now as I withdrawal from holiday boozing and dining. Got 7.5 hours sleep but already feeling very tired and wanting a nap- will see if I can push through and distract myself. Kept thinking about my bench press challenge. I can't go back to the gym until Monday as I'm in post overseas travel lockdown, but I want to try this challenge on my at home bench. I have enough weights to get me to 50%BW. Little worried about benching without being spotted with higher weights so might research safe ways to do this. I pre-mapped all the weight amounts and incremental increases to meet this challenge. Maybe I'll try later if my headache goes away- it feels a good place to start tackling this months goals and I feel motivated to try that one. I should trying to read my book or start workbook too... maybe book in the sun for a bit. Too tired for brain power.

Afternoon
Started reading The Swoly Bible. It's a good laugh so far. Feeling very brotégé.
It inspired me to attempt my bench press check in. Didn't get as close to 50%BW as I wanted 😅 My arms have always been weaker than my legs. This is what I managed: (Barbell weight= 7kg) Warmup: 10 x BB, 3x12kg, 3x17kg, 3x22kg, 3x27kg (1/3BW goal), 3x32kg then bailed on the 37kg noisily (let the weights slide off as I wasn't be spotted. Worked well.) Damn it! I feel like maybe if I was being spotted I could have pushed out at least one at 37kg. I think I need to study my form a little more. I think I probably need be aware of my back arch, I might be too flat. I think I'm also a little unsure on my grip placement. 
I found this NF article with video to study which made me very happy to find: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/what-do-you-bench-strength-training-101-the-bench-press/ 
I definitely have issues with my home bench press (which is cheap). The bar catchers are too high. I don't have safety arms either. Hm. Chatted to partner about us maybe getting a new one.

Night
Noticed my left arm arching, but right not. But not in a bad way. Guess it's weaker.
Started researching snatching. Little worried about doing this at home though, might not be able to. I guess I'll start with the barbell and see. 

2be.gif

• Like 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

❌Saturday 28 May 
❌Sunday 29 May 

Morning

Unfortunately I ended up just messing up again. On Saturday, a mate of mine contacted and asked if I wanted to go out to lunch- that was fine. I had a drink and good food with him. I had allowed myself social dining. But I kept going... as usual. Came home- kept drinking and ordered takeaway. And not just ordered one thing- many things. Like I had been given the go ahead somehow so I went overboard. So addictions got the better of me again. And then I woke up, and kept going- ordered a bad lunch. So I guess the aim right now is to get a grip on myself for dinner somehow. Maybe go for a walk this afternoon or something. How depressing that I messed up already. Just as I got myself back under 100kg yesterday too. I don't want all my food I got ready in the fridge to go off either. 

Afternoon
Failed again 😔 The thing is, my mum isn't very well at all. I find it hard visiting hospital and then start drinking and emotional eating. It's the wrong way to cope, I know it is. Because when I'm on a good run exercising and eating well, I feel like I can handle anything stressful no probs. Sigh. New day tomorrow. New week tomorrow. I can go back to the gym tomorrow- and I'm going to nail this. I'm going to get back on track.
determined-anime.gif

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Great job figuring out how to bench at home! Sliding weights off, "roll of shame" (which can leave bruises at heavy weights), and safety bars are the main techniques for failing bench without a spotter. I'd also just recommend staying away from failure if you don't have a spotter, as bench is one of the more dangerous barbell lifts.

Juggernaut strength training also has a great series on bench form if you'd like some more technique resources :)

Try not to beat yourself up about the food slip ups - you're dealing with a lot, and it is going to take time for you to figure out strategies that work for you. I would also consider experimenting with not severely restricting food in response to binges - it can set up really bad binge/restrict cycles in a lot of people, both because your body wants calories after the restriction and because of the psychological response to having food off limits. I used to have issues with overeating, too, and a large part of overcoming that was learning to fuel my body properly so I didn't set myself up for binges.  If I understand your previous post correctly, you started limiting yourself to 800-900 calories per day - is that correct? That is really low, especially for your weight and exercise levels. As a comparison, at a similar weight (~90 kg) I was steadily losing about 0.5 lbs/week at about 2500 calories/day while lifting 3-4x/week and walking about 5-7k steps/day. I'm not saying your TDEE will be as high as mine, as I had a few years of lifting under my belt at that point (and the corresponding muscle and strength gains), but it gives you an idea of how different my level of intake was despite a similar goal.

• Like 2

^^^^^ absolutely

Not trying to pile on, just seconding. Everyone is a bit different of course but for another comparison I'm currently 5'3", weigh 88 kg, lift 4x/week, walk 7-9k steps/day, and my TDEE for maintaining is about 2600 calories a day.  

I'm sorry to hear that your mum isn't doing well. Visiting family in the hospital can be very difficult.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alanna said:

Great job figuring out how to bench at home! Sliding weights off, "roll of shame" (which can leave bruises at heavy weights), and safety bars are the main techniques for failing bench without a spotter. I'd also just recommend staying away from failure if you don't have a spotter, as bench is one of the more dangerous barbell lifts.

Juggernaut strength training also has a great series on bench form if you'd like some more technique resources :)

Try not to beat yourself up about the food slip ups - you're dealing with a lot, and it is going to take time for you to figure out strategies that work for you. I would also consider experimenting with not severely restricting food in response to binges - it can set up really bad binge/restrict cycles in a lot of people, both because your body wants calories after the restriction and because of the psychological response to having food off limits. I used to have issues with overeating, too, and a large part of overcoming that was learning to fuel my body properly so I didn't set myself up for binges.  If I understand your previous post correctly, you started limiting yourself to 800-900 calories per day - is that correct? That is really low, especially for your weight and exercise levels. As a comparison, at a similar weight (~90 kg) I was steadily losing about 0.5 lbs/week at about 2500 calories/day while lifting 3-4x/week and walking about 5-7k steps/day. I'm not saying your TDEE will be as high as mine, as I had a few years of lifting under my belt at that point (and the corresponding muscle and strength gains), but it gives you an idea of how different my level of intake was despite a similar goal.

"Roll of Shame" haha yeah, that sounds about right. I've never had to do it before and I'm pretty sure it affected my left arm for a little bit (the side I slid off first that then got dragged up by the other side.) It was noticeably more achy than the other arm that felt completely fine. But I rested it and it was fine like a normal muscle ache. I wish I had a gym buddy, it's a real shame.

These videos are really awesome, thank you!! It always surprises me just how raised the chest is! It looks odd to me in a way, like someone will tell me at the gym it's wrong- if you know what I mean, but I've seen so many experts recommending it now. Maybe it just seems more exaggerated on females because of our hip structure and flexibility.

Yeah, the food slip ups with emotional eating is hard. But this morning I woke up and just immediately heated my planned breakfast before I thought of anything to try get a head start on it. Not even hungry yet but I wanted it to be there before I did! Hopefully today will be better. Yes, I did the Michael Mosely's keto fast diet to lose my original 14kg (It was 24kg but I've now gained 10kg back with emotional eating.) In my mind I agree with him with getting the unhealthy fat off the body from around the organs as soon as possible before health issues occur because in my family there are a lot of serious fatal diseases. It was never planned to be forever as a way of eating- but I wanted to get myself into the 70s solidly before I switched up and focused on a muscle building diet. I almost got there too- what a shame, I got myself to 89.9kg and then things went wrong. But I am recognising the need for workout protein binges above and beyond the diet. I have started always have a protein shake, bar, or protein pudding immediately after a workout and not counting the calories. I also tend to listen to my body after workouts if I need to eat more and will have another meal if I'm hungry. I feel like my TDEE is quite low because my metabolism is still screwed. I pack on weight very easily and it takes a lot of effort to lose. 

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

2 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

^^^^^ absolutely

Not trying to pile on, just seconding. Everyone is a bit different of course but for another comparison I'm currently 5'3", weigh 88 kg, lift 4x/week, walk 7-9k steps/day, and my TDEE for maintaining is about 2600 calories a day.  

I'm sorry to hear that your mum isn't doing well. Visiting family in the hospital can be very difficult.

Wow, those kinda of calorie levels boggle my mind, but I guess with maintenance it makes more sense. I look forward to maintenance 😂 I'm 5'7 and I found after much experimenting over the years (which probably what was messed with my metabolism admittedly) that this was the only lifestyle that showed me actual results when I did it and felt possible. 

Oh! But I should probably point out I'm in ketosis so my body is using my fat reserves. I'm not starving. That bit is actually really important. 

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

15 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

"Roll of Shame" haha yeah, that sounds about right. I've never had to do it before and I'm pretty sure it affected my left arm for a little bit (the side I slid off first that then got dragged up by the other side.) It was noticeably more achy than the other arm that felt completely fine. But I rested it and it was fine like a normal muscle ache. I wish I had a gym buddy, it's a real shame.

Ah I should have been more specific - the "roll of shame" is a different technique where you lower the bar to your chest and then roll if down your body until you can sit up. It doesn't work well for really heavy weights.

These videos are really awesome, thank you!! It always surprises me just how raised the chest is! It looks odd to me in a way, like someone will tell me at the gym it's wrong- if you know what I mean, but I've seen so many experts recommending it now. Maybe it just seems more exaggerated on females because of our hip structure and flexibility.

Big arches are a powerlifting technique - the higher your arch, the shorter your range of motion - and some gym bros will argue that they are "cheating." Yes, most powerlifters can probably bench more with an arch than without, but those powerlifters are still really strong regardless! A good set up, with at least a small arch, can provide a stable base and let you use more of your body in the movement. 

Yeah, the food slip ups with emotional eating is hard. But this morning I woke up and just immediately heated my planned breakfast before I thought of anything to try get a head start on it. Not even hungry yet but I wanted it to be there before I did! Hopefully today will be better. Yes, I did the Michael Mosely's keto fast diet to lose my original 14kg (It was 24kg but I've now gained 10kg back with emotional eating.) In my mind I agree with him with getting the unhealthy fat off the body from around the organs as soon as possible before health issues occur because in my family there are a lot of serious fatal diseases. It was never planned to be forever as a way of eating- but I wanted to get myself into the 70s solidly before I switched up and focused on a muscle building diet. I almost got there too- what a shame, I got myself to 89.9kg and then things went wrong. But I am recognising the need for workout protein binges above and beyond the diet. I have started always have a protein shake, bar, or protein pudding immediately after a workout and not counting the calories. I also tend to listen to my body after workouts if I need to eat more and will have another meal if I'm hungry. I feel like my TDEE is quite low because my metabolism is still screwed. I pack on weight very easily and it takes a lot of effort to lose. 

I don't know much about your history with health and weight loss, so I don't want to give unhelpful, unsolicited advice - but just some food for thought as you work out what is sustainable for you:

• Fast weight loss is indeed fast in the short run, but not necessarily fast long-term when you average out the ups and downs (if that fast weight loss results in quickly gaining weight back).
  • Steep deficits also tend to result in proportionally more muscle loss, which isn't good for long-term health or metabolism. 

I agree that protein is really important around workouts, especially for preserving muscle while eating at a deficit - I'm glad that new strategy is working well for you! 

On 5/31/2022 at 5:59 AM, Alanna said:

Ah I should have been more specific - the "roll of shame" is a different technique where you lower the bar to your chest and then roll if down your body until you can sit up. It doesn't work well for really heavy weights.

Oh! I remember seeing that- it looked like it might hurt a little over the tummy O.o

Big arches are a powerlifting technique - the higher your arch, the shorter your range of motion - and some gym bros will argue that they are "cheating." Yes, most powerlifters can probably bench more with an arch than without, but those powerlifters are still really strong regardless! A good set up, with at least a small arch, can provide a stable base and let you use more of your body in the movement. 

I saw the joke about cheating on the Juggernaut video and was curious about it. Why do they consider it cheating? 

• Fast weight loss is indeed fast in the short run, but not necessarily fast long-term when you average out the ups and downs (if that fast weight loss results in quickly gaining weight back).
  • Steep deficits also tend to result in proportionally more muscle loss, which isn't good for long-term health or metabolism. 

The first point- yeah, this is the same song I used to sing for years until I read Mosely's research and slowly changed my mind when I saw the results coming in. Actually, I used to be really, really firming against it- especially because of what they say about metabolism and muscles loss. But the more I followed him, read his research and attached research and tried things out, the more I realised it worked better for me than anything else I had tried in years, and that joining it with keto slowed a lot of my concerns. The flip side for me I found was that slower weight loss for me resulted in more weight gain because of my mentality. Because I have a binge eating issues (pre-existing way before trying this out so not connected), I would work hard for weeks on losing some weight, and then gain it all back in days. It was really demotivating and made everything feel pointless. I have been much less depressed with this way, I feel like I can do something and it is in my control I just have to want to and get myself going again away from additions. 

An added note- I have a scale which show muscle, fat, water, bone % to keep an eye on things too.

I agree that protein is really important around workouts, especially for preserving muscle while eating at a deficit - I'm glad that new strategy is working well for you! 

But yes, despite all the above, I am changing things a little around my weight lifting workouts to try make sure my muscles get what they need and support them. I'm still learning about all those pre-workout mixes and post and all that crazy kind of stuff I don't really understand- but I'm starting with the idea that protein within the first hour of working out is good and making sure I do this. 

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

I achieved something!
 Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg)

anime-anime-girl.gif

I didn't think I'd be able to, but after doing 15x2 at 35kg I was like wait... this is still kinda light and upped it to 40 and then 45 for 5x squats to test. And I could do it! Yey!

Given my emotional eating has been going awful with the stress of my mum in hospital, this was a wonderful win for me 😊

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

19 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

I saw the joke about cheating on the Juggernaut video and was curious about it. Why do they consider it cheating? 

Shorter range of motion means the bar doesn't have to travel as far to the top of the lift... this can very easily be reframed into "you're not doing a real/full bench press" ;) 

It's BS, as far as I am concerned. Any time the bar is above your head, throat, and chest area, how far above is meaningless semantics..

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 6/2/2022 at 6:36 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

But yes, despite all the above, I am changing things a little around my weight lifting workouts to try make sure my muscles get what they need and support them. I'm still learning about all those pre-workout mixes and post and all that crazy kind of stuff I don't really understand- but I'm starting with the idea that protein within the first hour of working out is good and making sure I do this. 

I'm glad you are making tweaks to that programme to make it work better for you, which is great! And I am glad that you are aware of the concerns I brought up. I will get off my soap box now 😅.

Pre/post workouts are definitely not needed - I think most of them are ways of getting easily digestible protein, carbs, and/or caffeine to your body in a convenient manner. A protein powder could be helpful if you struggle to get enough protein or want a more convenient way to get protein - whey works well if you tolerate dairy. Casein is a another milk protein that is digested more slowly. I think both come in 'isolate' forms that have barely any carbs. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:42 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

I achieved something!
 Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg)

That's fantastic - congratulations!!

On 6/2/2022 at 6:36 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

What Scaly Freak said, and I'll add some context: Marissa Inda gets a lot of "you're cheating" comments on social media in response to her bench videos/photos. So, Chad and Marissa were poking fun at those commenters.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 4:11 AM, Alanna said:

Pre/post workouts are definitely not needed - I think most of them are ways of getting easily digestible protein, carbs, and/or caffeine to your body in a convenient manner. A protein powder could be helpful if you struggle to get enough protein or want a more convenient way to get protein - whey works well if you tolerate dairy. Casein is a another milk protein that is digested more slowly. I think both come in 'isolate' forms that have barely any carbs. 

Oh that "window of gainz." This has definitely been the predominant bro wisdom for decades. I think in sports science and nutrition, that myth has been recently challenged. My understanding of current clinical research suggests that for post-exercise protein synthesis, the optimal window actually lasts about 24 hours. So really the biggest concern is total protein consumption over the whole day, and data tends to suggest spacing your daily protein over at least 3 servings through the day is better than fewer. You will find lots of different opinions out there on what is the optimal daily intake - there was a recent meta-analysis that suggests 1.6 - 2.2 g/kg being the best range for most (for optimizing hypertrophy)  https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/

I definitely agree with the above comments  that protein shakes are great if you are having trouble eating all your daily protein, or want something that digests easily. But I wouldn't throw it in the essential category. They are super convenient. I don't think I would consistently hit my daily goals without one.

• Like 1

@Alanna  @Scaly Freak Oh shorter range of motion? Interesting. I guess, but still just seems more efficient use of body shape. As long as it still works out all the muscles, I’d love to lift more! 

@AlannaNah, no soap box at all! I still appreciated it and it all still makes me think a lot about things. Thank you for the protein advice too.

@Brovatar KorraOhhhh window of gainz isn’t a thing?! Hahaha here’s me feeling all smart like k finally got a glimpse into the bizarre mysteries of pre/post workout supplements. Ah well.

That link you provided was a fascinating read although I suspect some went over my head. The conclusion helped:

My advanced protein recommendations are an expanded version of my optimal recommendations. Eat at least four meals with at least 40g of protein, spread them out throughout the day (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, and pre-sleep), and get the majority of that protein from animal-based sources. In addition, ingest 5g of supplemental leucine before your meals or during your meal (best and second best option, respectively). If supplemental leucine is no option, a whey protein or hydrolyzed protein shake could be used a replacement (third best option).”

These kinds of numbers confuse me because I always think:

”But if I have so much fat on top of muscle, does it matter? Do I eat the same amount as an athlete?”

But maybe it’s an interesting aim for me for next month given Alanna and I’s food discussions: 20gx4 protein meals with 5g leucine, staying under 50g daily carbs to encourage ketosis. (I’m just going to consider if it’s healthy fats then the rest should be fine?)

Feeling boggling, but trying to get back into my lifting routine with boxing class alternating could really work.

(ED: interestingly all the articles I was looking up for 40g protein meals all boasted 30g protein meals for bodybuilders…?)

But meanwhile: all my unhealthy eating and drink addictions have come to an end in an unfortunate way today: I have the flu. (Oh my goodness, remember NORMAL cold and flus that aren’t covid?! What a surprise haha!)

image.gif.0d5d747391565f40f103aaa0816cebe9.gif

• Like 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

I still achieved something!

✅  Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m)

Despite the flu, I wanted to keep working towards some goals. The chalk and wrist straps helped on this a lot. It didn’t feel like the straps were doing much at all- no pressure on wrists or hands. But I knew I wouldn’t last long without them. Quite surprised! I thought it would feel the tug on the wrists. Glad I bought them so I can keep progressing! Boy, my palms were super red afterwards! But yey! I’m slowly achieving warrior things!!

image.gif.715910166f30922b084d7f99daf012bd.gif

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

10 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

These kinds of numbers confuse me because I always think:

”But if I have so much fat on top of muscle, does it matter? Do I eat the same amount as an athlete?”

But maybe it’s an interesting aim for me for next month given Alanna and I’s food discussions: 20gx4 protein meals with 5g leucine, staying under 50g daily carbs to encourage ketosis. (I’m just going to consider if it’s healthy fats then the rest should be fine?)

Feeling boggling, but trying to get back into my lifting routine with boxing class alternating could really work.

In general yes, people that are overweight need less protein per kg, but I wouldn't stress about the exact numbers. Working your way up to somewhere around 150 g/day would put you in the right range, and you can see how you feel/recover with more or less protein. And if that goal is too much of a stretch based on your current protein intake, then an increase from your current levels would still be helpful! 

I wouldn't stress about supplements etc. too right now - in general, the basics (balanced meals/intake, enough protein, sleep, regular exercise that progressively increases in difficulty to keep you challenged) will get you most of the results. The smaller tweaks are necessary at high performance levels. That said, supplements can be important for things like nutrient deficiencies. 

5 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

I still achieved something!

✅  Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m)

Despite the flu, I wanted to keep working towards some goals. The chalk and wrist straps helped on this a lot. It didn’t feel like the straps were doing much at all- no pressure on wrists or hands. But I knew I wouldn’t last long without them. Quite surprised! I thought it would feel the tug on the wrists. Glad I bought them so I can keep progressing! Boy, my palms were super red afterwards! But yey! I’m slowly achieving warrior things!!

Great job! Hope you feel better soon.

5 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

And you're achieving while sick with the flu. You are well on your way to leveling up here. :) 

11 hours ago, Alanna said:

In general yes, people that are overweight need less protein per kg, but I wouldn't stress about the exact numbers. Working your way up to somewhere around 150 g/day would put you in the right range, and you can see how you feel/recover with more or less protein. And if that goal is too much of a stretch based on your current protein intake, then an increase from your current levels would still be helpful! 

I wouldn't stress about supplements etc. too right now - in general, the basics (balanced meals/intake, enough protein, sleep, regular exercise that progressively increases in difficulty to keep you challenged) will get you most of the results. The smaller tweaks are necessary at high performance levels. That said, supplements can be important for things like nutrient deficiencies. 

Great job! Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you! As always your advice and links are really helpful and give me a lot to think about. It was interesting for me to go back through my food logs and consider my protein intake too. 150g makes sense and is what the NF calculator put me at too- so maybe starting with this 30g per meal x4 goal could work.

And thank you, me too. My throat is so much worse today; Urgh!

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And you're achieving while sick with the flu. You are well on your way to leveling up here. :) 

Haha I felt so guilty with my terrible eating that I was like well I’m still going to achieve something, damnnit >:0 Thank you 😊

2 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Sorry you don't feel well, rest and take care of yourself!

Thank you! Trying. Lots of lozenges and dozing with the cat.

original.gif

I’m also trying to decide about getting a NF Coach. I have a hard work contract coming up July-Jan and really wanted to hit my weight goal to travel after that. I’m not 100% confident between that, the stress of supporting my mum and routine confusion I’ll reach it. Has anyone used them before? I’ve umm and uhhed about them forever.

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

On 5/30/2022 at 2:03 AM, Alanna said:

I watched all these videos and then tried again with my new form and I improved by 5kg! My max is now at 37kg (failed at 39.5kg | 7.5kg away from goal)
9TLQ.gif
The funny thing was when I asked my spotter to watch over the one I failed he goes "... aren't you arching your back too much?" 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★