IronWithin's first challenge

I saw people on some other threads do a summary of their first week of the challenge. I don't have much to type about it, but I feel like having a sum up  of my weekly results will make it easier for the end of the challenge when I have to look back and write down my final performance numbers.

Week 1 (Sunday, May 8 - Saturday, May 14)

1) Morning routine: I'm going to wash and moisturize my face every morning: 7/7

2) Take a walk: I'm going to go out for a walk every day: 5/7

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day: 6/6

And with that out of the way

Tuesday, May 17

1) Morning routine: I'm going to wash and moisturize my face every morning.

I honestly do not remember doing this, but I'm thinking it's because it was an automated thing. Had I forgotten it, I would have no doubt remembered it later in the day and I'd be feeling the regret and disappointment as I'd be typing this.

2) Take a walk: I'm going to go out for a walk every day.

I spent almost the entire day outside of the house, which is kind of the point of this goal. Had things to do and although none were walked to and from, I combined two tasks that were within walkiing distance of each other to achieve this goal. I also got a chance later in the day to do a walk in the park. Had me thinking, if I have more chances to hit the park around sunset when the temperature is cooler, I could turn this walk into a light jog instead.

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day

I had a list of things to do, which included two dreaded phone calls, one of which was the one I have previously mentioned that's been on hold for almost a month. Most of the things on my list were achieved within the day, calls included. Huge weight off my chest.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, IronWithin said:

Let me see if I can get the emoji right....  <('-'<)

Thanks! It's hard to ignore the voice in my head that says I'm doing great because I have such bare minimum goals. I have to remind myself that there's a reason I set the bar this low.

There is great wisdom in setting oneself up to win.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, IronWithin said:

I had a list of things to do, which included two dreaded phone calls, one of which was the one I have previously mentioned that's been on hold for almost a month. Most of the things on my list were achieved within the day, calls included. Huge weight off my chest.

I could feel the sigh of relief from over here! That is such a good feeling to get those annoying things done finally. 

You are doing great with consistency :)

What moisturizer do you use?

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

21 hours ago, IronWithin said:

Thanks! It's hard to ignore the voice in my head that says I'm doing great because I have such bare minimum goals. I have to remind myself that there's a reason I set the bar this low.

You are consistently showing up and doing the work. It doesn't matter what the goal actually is, the momentum matters. You got this. 

• Like 1

Well done on the phone calls - the longer I leave things the more I find the barrier to doing them builds up, so getting them sorted after all that time's a huge achievement.

• Like 3

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 4  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 1  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Little and Often

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 5/18/2022 at 4:59 PM, Rookie said:

What moisturizer do you use?

I don't go with a specific brand, but it's the milder types, not medicinal stuff. Lately as the summer rolls around I've switched to a new one that has a bit of sunscreen to it as well. Also, thank you and welcome!

On 5/19/2022 at 6:49 AM, Sovalis said:

You are consistently showing up and doing the work. It doesn't matter what the goal actually is, the momentum matters. You got this. 

Thanks for the support and perspective. It helps more than you might think.

22 hours ago, Jarric said:

Well done on the phone calls - the longer I leave things the more I find the barrier to doing them builds up, so getting them sorted after all that time's a huge achievement.

I know, right? Why do our brains have to be like that though, instead of pushing us to get it done, they have us postpone it even further so the tension builds even more!

22 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey, how are you doing today? x

Hello, update of a few days coming up in the next post.

• Like 3

Wednesday, May 18

This was done, even if it wasn't the first thing I did upon waking up.

I left the house, but it did not include a walk.

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day

It's been another case of something I've postponed for about a month (not a phonecall!) that I accomplished on this day.

Thursday, May 19

I postponed this a couple of times, but finally pushed myself to get it done. I even used a small loofah thingy that I have specifically as a face scrub. Makes me wonder why I had forgotten about this all this time.

Again, I went out of the house twice but none of those times included a walk. Gotta prioritize this, don't wanna build up a losing streak and start feeling like there's no point in continuing to pursue it or normalize non-walk days being a thing.

It was a simple task, but it was one I accomplished. Then I also did a couple of other simple tasks on top of it.

• Like 4

Friday, May 20

This was done.

I spent most of the day ironing clothes, taking down my summer clothes and packing the winter ones. No walk was had

As mentioned, my task had to do with the clothes swap and it was done.

Saturday, May 21

I did this in the morning.

I had to go out to get groceries so I used the opportunity for my walk.

I accomplished the day's task.

Sunday, May 22

I was up until 6am at a friend's party, so I woke up late and my daily routine was messed up, which contributed to me forgetting about this until it was late in the evening.

I did not do this.

I had something I wanted to mention in a social occasion, something that would make things a little uncomfortable but I needed to get of my chest. I managed to bring it up and discuss it gracefully, so that's a big win.

• Like 2

Week 1 (Sunday, May 15 - Saturday, May 21)

2) Take a walk: I'm going to go out for a walk every day: 4/7

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day: 7/7

It's been a good week, though it seems I need to push myself more to go for my daily walk.

• Like 1

Monday, May 23

Again, I did not do this first thing in the morning and went on with my day but the thought popped up early enough for it to be accomplished.

Spent too much time playing videogames so no walk was had.

Were my task for the day not so simple and basic, I'd have failed it in favor of gaming. It was just one of these days. Still, aiming low when that was needed means I still succeeded on this goal, which helps me feel somewhat good. Gotta remember to not feel like I'm cheating, it's still progress and still better than failing.

• Like 3
On 5/20/2022 at 4:28 AM, IronWithin said:

I postponed this a couple of times, but finally pushed myself to get it done. I even used a small loofah thingy that I have specifically as a face scrub. Makes me wonder why I had forgotten about this all this time.

I've used these loofa gloves so you basically just build up a lather and wipe your face and it exfoliates and stuff.  Looked like these:

Earth Therapeutics Charcoal Exfoliating Gloves | Ulta Beauty

On 5/18/2022 at 1:51 AM, IronWithin said:

I like to think of it as having a 'base' goal as low and then anything extra I do is 'extra credit'.  Helps me wrack up some wins and also not be harsh on myself, regardless of what the goal is.

10 hours ago, IronWithin said:

it's still progress and still better than failing.

Exactly

• Like 2

Whoof, it's been a while!

Tuesday, May 24 - Thursday 26 May

I've been keeping up with this every day. It still hasn't become a consistent "first thing in the morning" habit though. Goes to show I'm not ready to consider it a given and move on to more ambitious goals.

Went out every day, although Wednesday's exit didn't involve a walk.

Did the thing on Tuesday, almost missed it on Wednesday but stayed up a little late to see it through before I went to sleep. Thursday was such a great day on this front, I did my daily goal and then a bunch of other things on top of it.

• Like 4

Has it really been this long since my last update? Wow!

Friday 27 May - Sunday 29 May

This has been done, every day of those three.

Went out for my walk on Friday, and unexpectedly so on Saturday too. Had friends visit over on Sunday so I had to clean the house and prepare the food, no time for a walk on top.

Done on Friday and Saturday, giving myself a pass for Sunday.

• Like 3

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day: 7/7

Week 2 (Sunday, May 22 - Saturday, May 28)

1) Morning routine: I'm going to wash and moisturize my face every morning: 6/7

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day: 6/6

• Like 2

I was hoping for daily updates here, but it seems these "several days at once" reports are going to be a thing.

Monday 30 May - Thursday 2 June

I did this every day, except one, think it was Tuesday or Wednesday, where I remembered it later at night and went through the routine as part of my shower before bedtime. Still counting it though.

No walk on Monday or Thursday, hit this goal on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Needed some persistence to hit this on Monday, failed Tuesday, made another dreaded  call on Wednesday and Thursday (fortunately those two were recent cases, not calls I've been procrastrinating on for long).

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Every few days updates are eleventh billion times better than no updates. Just keep checking in.

/agreed

I'm trying to hit up a few threads and post in mine once a week and do 2x week next challenge.

• Like 1

Friday 3 June + Saturday 4 June

Done on both days.

I did a lot of stuff outside the house on Friday but none of it involved long walks. It was done on Saturday though.

I did my thing on Friday and Saturday as well.

• Like 3

Week 2 (Sunday, May 22 - Saturday, May 28)

Week 3 (Sunday, May 29 - Saturday, June 4)

2) Take a walk: I'm going to go out for a walk every day: 3/7

3) Single-minded focus: I'm going to choose a single task to accomplish every day: 5/6

• Like 3

Sunday 5 June + Monday 6 June

Again, it's not a case of first thing in the morning, sometimes not even done in the morning, but it's still done daily.

Had friends coming in on Sunday again, then I went out to see a friend's band perform. None of this involved walking though. It was better on Monday, where I did not specifically go for a walk but the things I did during the day involved a lot of walking, so I'm counting it.

No goals for Sunday, had a super productive Monday with two major things knocked out of the park, a few smaller things taken care of and a bunch of phonecalls made.

• Like 4