Sovails' Adventure Begins!

That book sounds interesting and yes, I really hope it has some sort of resolution or unpacking rather than just telling you about guilt and perfectionism 😄

I like doing 'no two in a row' type things in my challenge too - it lets you give yourself a break which is definitely needed (especially if you're not feeling well)

Feel better soon :)

• Like 2

Level 22 Rogue Ranger

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

On 5/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, Sovalis said:

Hi Conquius! Thank you! I like to cook a bit of everything (I particularly love to bake) and in recent years I have become enamoured with the chef Yotam Ottolenghi who is based out of the UK. He does some very Middle Eastern flavour profiles that I love. I cooked my way through his vegetarian book "Plenty" one year as a challenge and it was amazing.

Righteous! Sounds like it was a delicious challenge.

We have been using a grocery delivery service for the last few months so my meal planning and grocery shopping are largely done with that, leaving not a lot of room for other meals. I would be annoyed but it is just so convenient and I welcome that convenience right now.

Gotta do what you gotta do. Decision fatigue and all that. I'm glad that works for ya.

Do you like to cook? If so, what kinds of things? 

I love to cook! and I get to do it pretty often. Between my partner, my roommate, and I, we end up making one home cooked meal each every week, and we meal plan together, so that gives me a lot of opportunities to try new stuff. I tend to lean towards a lot of baked pasta casserole-type dishes, with protein and greens baked in. I find it's a good way to get a lot of caloric density and veggies. I also love anything with noodles. My partner leans more towards soups, and my roommate makes a lot of great Tex-Mex food. We're also all vegans, which makes cooking for each other easier.

Anyway, I loved hearing about your insights from the book you're reading. I also feel very "read" by some of the insights regarding guilt, and trying to be your own best friend.

• Like 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 8  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

On 5/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, Heidi said:

Reconciliation is about finding peace on your own terms. It's great if this can happen in relationship, but it's not essential. 

Thank you for this, Heidi. It's so reassuring to have someone say that out loud to me. There's a decent amount of pressure to reconnect and I just feel like that isn't right for me right now. 

On 5/15/2022 at 5:45 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

here for cute dog pics and a first challenge full of great goals! hope you feel better! :) 

Hi Fearless! Have a cute dog pic and thanks for your support! 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, LostValkyrie19 said:

I live in Florida and it has been ridiculously hot out, like I don't want to walk outside hot out. This has given me some inspiration for getting my steps in! Marching in place!!! If I could smack myself and say duh lol.

So this is huge.  I have a lot of pressure with my mother related to weight loss, but the fact that you can start seeing where things went wrong and start to think through the idea of why and how each instance here made you feel, that is amazing. I am not sure what happened with your mother, but I think working through your own thing while staying away will be helpful - get yourself straight before you do anything else. 

It is important to work on you, and you should not sabotage yourself or stop your goals because you fear of what others will think or do. Something happened regarding your mother, but - and i have to remind myself all the time, you are not her. You are amazing you!

ALSO - I hope you feel better!! Being sick sucks :( 

Thank you, Lost Valkyrie. So much wisdom in your words. Did you get some steps in? 

On 5/16/2022 at 4:32 PM, Conquius said:

Righteous! Sounds like it was a delicious challenge.

Gotta do what you gotta do. Decision fatigue and all that. I'm glad that works for ya.

I love to cook! and I get to do it pretty often. Between my partner, my roommate, and I, we end up making one home cooked meal each every week, and we meal plan together, so that gives me a lot of opportunities to try new stuff. I tend to lean towards a lot of baked pasta casserole-type dishes, with protein and greens baked in. I find it's a good way to get a lot of caloric density and veggies. I also love anything with noodles. My partner leans more towards soups, and my roommate makes a lot of great Tex-Mex food. We're also all vegans, which makes cooking for each other easier.

Anyway, I loved hearing about your insights from the book you're reading. I also feel very "read" by some of the insights regarding guilt, and trying to be your own best friend.

Hi Conquius! I want to come for dinner! I don't have a ton of experience with vegan cooking, although I've done some. Tex Mex anything has my attention and noodles are awesome. 😄

I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about the insights from the book because there's more of that today...

I finished the book yesterday. The latter half of it wasn't as useful for me as it might have been.  There was one technique that did seem interesting though, and that was interrogation of automatic thoughts to reach silent assumptions you may not be aware you have. It's basically saying "Yes, and?" to your automatic thoughts until you get to the bottom of them. I can illustrate with an example from a previous entry: 

Automatic thought: If I lose weight people will think I'm selfish. 

Why is that upsetting? What does that mean to me? 

It's upsetting because I like to be well regarded and it means people may not like or respect me. 

Suppose that were true, what would that mean for me? 

People might not trust me. 

If I were not trusted what would that mean to me? 

I would be rejected/unlovable, and not worthwhile as a person.

So that was interesting. It revealed some of my core vulnerabilities in a different way. I don't think I learned anything specifically new from it, but it's another tool in the kit. 

Another tool in the kit was the Dysfunctional Attitude Scale, a list of 35 questions designed to rate your psychological vulnerability or strength in the areas of approval, love, achievement, perfectionism, entitlement, omnipotence, and autonomy. You rate each of the 35 questions on a scale of 1 to 5 and then there's a scoring metric afterwards. Negative numbers mean that you have vulnerability, positive numbers mean that you have strength. I didn't score highly in most areas, which is interesting because I don't feel particularly vulnerable in the areas I scored worst in. In the end I found it useful to write out the questions for the ones I scored worst on and respond to them individually. The two that I really struggled with were 1) "I must be a useful, productive, creative person or life has no purpose"; and 2) "To be a good, worthwhile, moral person, I must try to help everyone who needs it." Yup. Both of those have edges that need sanding off. 

In terms of goals I got my steps yesterday and today, and I think this cold is finally on its way out. I ate breakfast, lunch, and supper yesterday and today. Three meals in a day is a gold star day for me, it's usually one or two and snacks. I snack less (not at all the past few days) if I'm eating actual meals. I even cooked tonight by myself and had a good time with it. Put some music on and rocked out. I thought I'd have extra for tomorrow but Dave is unexpectedly home tonight and has commandeered the leftovers. Which is fine! He's been eating IMPs for the past ten days, I'm sure real food is a treat. A little less than a week to go and the ex is done and he can be home on regular schedule again. I've been reading, writing, and keeping up with the NF app assignments. So that's good. 

I need a new book to engage with now. I have a few on my list. Will see what's available through the library and Kindle and get going again! 

As a sidenote, I *really* had to work hard to not weigh myself yesterday. I succeeded, but it was a close thing. And so strange! Be here now, Shea. That's the job. 

20220508_163712.jpg