KB Girl's witches brew

Hai! 

Still not sure I should even attempt a challenge, life has been busy and I don't spend a lot of time on my laptop so it will have to be a thing especially for NF- but I miss it here so lets just see if I can keep time spend reasonable :) 

A simple challenge- I want to cook more and enjoy doing so. My partner has been doing most of the shopping and meal planning, I've still cooked half of our meals but it's been booooring. Soon we'll be getting lots of fresh veggies out of our garden, so it's best to get back into having a little fun, finding some creativity- because food waste is bad but wasting food you spend time and effort growing yourself is much much worse. 

I decided on this challenge last Saturday when @Waaniesaid I should just come do a challenge but hadn't found/made time to write it up yet, but I did have it in the back of my mind, so far I made; 

Monday- stir fry with marinated chicken thighs, noodles and lots of veggies

Tuesday- burgers with lots of side veggies, including a salad with heavy greens from our garden ❤️

Thursday- lasagna, trying to get the sauce right because I want to try with the pasta made from scratch but I won't until I get the sauce right

Friday (today)- I made soup with all the leftover bits of veggies in the house, served it with Turkish flat bread. It was surprisingly good. 

• Like 7

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Interesting food sounds like a fun challenge goal - looking forward to seeing how you do.

For the lasagne, is it the bechamel sauce you're working on, or the tomato and meat bit? I think I have a good bechamel recipe somewhere which I can dig out if you want to compare.

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 3  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 1  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Anatomy of an Orc

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 5/13/2022 at 10:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't know how fun that stuff was to cook, but it seems like it would be fun to eat.

Also, HI!

Hi! :)

Just doing my best to make it very tasty instead of just going through the motions is already kind of fun!

11 hours ago, Waanie said:

Yay, you made it here :D. I'm glad that your garden grows nice vegetables, and that you can harvest some already! Would you like any inspiration for fun and quick recipes, or are you just here to show us your delicious meals?

Spinach, lettuce and radishes so far :)

Oh I would definitely like some inspiration or maybe a 'make this!' challenge

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

Interesting food sounds like a fun challenge goal - looking forward to seeing how you do.

For the lasagne, is it the bechamel sauce you're working on, or the tomato and meat bit? I think I have a good bechamel recipe somewhere which I can dig out if you want to compare.

Thank you! My kids are allergic to cows milk protein so we make do without béchamel sauce.. my solution for this has been to add soft goats cheese to the tomato/meat sauce to make it thick and creamy- it's working quite well. I just need to get the spices right I think.. I also want to try making a lasagna with spinach at some point.

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Whatever time you can find to pop in and update will be fine. Also, I am imagining eating lasagne now. Yay lasagne.

Lasagne is awesome. 

• Like 3

No cooking today! Had lunch with friends downtown (fancy avocado toast, it was good) and dinner at my moms. My mom is the best, every Saturday she takes care of the grandkids and when we come pick them up she has food ready ❤️ 

I also did 3x3 pushups and went by bike 2x30 minutes, steady talking pace. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Spinach, lettuce and radishes so far :)

Oh I would definitely like some inspiration or maybe a 'make this!' challenge

Yum! Especially spinach is so versatile, I love it :).

One of our crazily easy go-to recipes is spinach with beetroot, canned lentils, red onion, feta cheese and a balsamic dressing, but I guess it's too early for beets at the moment. It's one of those "I don't wanna cook"-meals that's on the table in 10 minutes and still healthy enough. I think you could swap feta for chicken if feta (sheep/goat cheese) is a problem.

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

No cooking today! Had lunch with friends downtown (fancy avocado toast, it was good) and dinner at my moms. My mom is the best, every Saturday she takes care of the grandkids and when we come pick them up she has food ready ❤️ 

She really is the best 😍. Your girls are adorable too!

On 5/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, Alanna said:

Glad to have you here for a simple challenge as well! The meals sound really tasty, especially with the home-grown veg. 

It does make it like 10 times tastier just like that :D 

On 5/15/2022 at 6:37 PM, Waanie said:

Yum! Especially spinach is so versatile, I love it :).

One of our crazily easy go-to recipes is spinach with beetroot, canned lentils, red onion, feta cheese and a balsamic dressing, but I guess it's too early for beets at the moment. It's one of those "I don't wanna cook"-meals that's on the table in 10 minutes and still healthy enough. I think you could swap feta for chicken if feta (sheep/goat cheese) is a problem.

She really is the best 😍. Your girls are adorable too!

I think I've heard you mention that one before! Raw spinach and cooked beetroot? We can definitely eat feta cheese, love it :) It is indeed too early for beets (from our own garden at least) but they are in there.. just possible that we might run out of spinach before they're done, heh. 

And thank you, I think so too :D very biased obv. 

On 5/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Hiiii! :D 

Hey :) I have been thinking about you a lot lately, in a non creepy way I promise. I'll send you a PM some time soon! 

5 hours ago, sylph said:

Halloooooo! :)

Hallo! How goes? :) are you challenging?

• Like 2

Sunday food was great! Jaap took the girls to the garden to get salad while I got started on fixing the fixings. When they got home both girls wanted to help in the kitchen so all four of us were 'cooking' and it was a slice of domestic bliss for sure :) we made a simple salad with chicken, feta, radishes, potatoes, cherry tomatoes and a homemade honey mustard dressing. 

Today (Monday) I baked some bread for the first time in a long time. I just use this standard mix with pumpkin seeds in it, it's lovely. Kneading dough is also quite pleasant! For dinner I made a radish stampot that was surprisingly excellent, so much so that i'm already planning the huge amount of radishes I'm going to grow next year. I made it by frying bacon, adding a diced onion and the sliced radishes and then adding all the radish greens- then I mixed all that (including the bacon grease) with mashed potatoes. Really good! 

Skipped training on both days because the hay fever has been really bad the past two days and that makes me sooooooo tired... tomorrow though, tired or not. 

Photo spam; 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

think I've heard you mention that one before! Raw spinach and cooked beetroot? We can definitely eat feta cheese, love it :) It is indeed too early for beets (from our own garden at least) but they are in there.. just possible that we might run out of spinach before they're done, heh. 

I might have mentioned it before; I eat it quite often, the last time was... yesterday ^_^. It's indeed raw spinach and cooked beets (we those vacuum-packed precooked beets).

Your food this weekend sounds very tasty as well :).

I hope you have a nice training today!