KB Girl's witches brew

Hai! 

Still not sure I should even attempt a challenge, life has been busy and I don't spend a lot of time on my laptop so it will have to be a thing especially for NF- but I miss it here so lets just see if I can keep time spend reasonable :) 

A simple challenge- I want to cook more and enjoy doing so. My partner has been doing most of the shopping and meal planning, I've still cooked half of our meals but it's been booooring. Soon we'll be getting lots of fresh veggies out of our garden, so it's best to get back into having a little fun, finding some creativity- because food waste is bad but wasting food you spend time and effort growing yourself is much much worse. 

I decided on this challenge last Saturday when @Waaniesaid I should just come do a challenge but hadn't found/made time to write it up yet, but I did have it in the back of my mind, so far I made; 

Monday- stir fry with marinated chicken thighs, noodles and lots of veggies

Tuesday- burgers with lots of side veggies, including a salad with heavy greens from our garden ❤️

Thursday- lasagna, trying to get the sauce right because I want to try with the pasta made from scratch but I won't until I get the sauce right

Friday (today)- I made soup with all the leftover bits of veggies in the house, served it with Turkish flat bread. It was surprisingly good. 

• Like 9

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Interesting food sounds like a fun challenge goal - looking forward to seeing how you do.

For the lasagne, is it the bechamel sauce you're working on, or the tomato and meat bit? I think I have a good bechamel recipe somewhere which I can dig out if you want to compare.

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 4  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 1  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Little and Often

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Whatever time you can find to pop in and update will be fine. Also, I am imagining eating lasagne now. Yay lasagne.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/13/2022 at 10:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't know how fun that stuff was to cook, but it seems like it would be fun to eat.

Also, HI!

Hi! :)

Just doing my best to make it very tasty instead of just going through the motions is already kind of fun!

11 hours ago, Waanie said:

Yay, you made it here :D. I'm glad that your garden grows nice vegetables, and that you can harvest some already! Would you like any inspiration for fun and quick recipes, or are you just here to show us your delicious meals?

Spinach, lettuce and radishes so far :)

Oh I would definitely like some inspiration or maybe a 'make this!' challenge

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

Interesting food sounds like a fun challenge goal - looking forward to seeing how you do.

For the lasagne, is it the bechamel sauce you're working on, or the tomato and meat bit? I think I have a good bechamel recipe somewhere which I can dig out if you want to compare.

Thank you! My kids are allergic to cows milk protein so we make do without béchamel sauce.. my solution for this has been to add soft goats cheese to the tomato/meat sauce to make it thick and creamy- it's working quite well. I just need to get the spices right I think.. I also want to try making a lasagna with spinach at some point.

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Whatever time you can find to pop in and update will be fine. Also, I am imagining eating lasagne now. Yay lasagne.

Lasagne is awesome. 

• Like 3

No cooking today! Had lunch with friends downtown (fancy avocado toast, it was good) and dinner at my moms. My mom is the best, every Saturday she takes care of the grandkids and when we come pick them up she has food ready ❤️ 

I also did 3x3 pushups and went by bike 2x30 minutes, steady talking pace. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Spinach, lettuce and radishes so far :)

Oh I would definitely like some inspiration or maybe a 'make this!' challenge

Yum! Especially spinach is so versatile, I love it :).

One of our crazily easy go-to recipes is spinach with beetroot, canned lentils, red onion, feta cheese and a balsamic dressing, but I guess it's too early for beets at the moment. It's one of those "I don't wanna cook"-meals that's on the table in 10 minutes and still healthy enough. I think you could swap feta for chicken if feta (sheep/goat cheese) is a problem.

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

No cooking today! Had lunch with friends downtown (fancy avocado toast, it was good) and dinner at my moms. My mom is the best, every Saturday she takes care of the grandkids and when we come pick them up she has food ready ❤️ 

She really is the best 😍. Your girls are adorable too!

On 5/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, Alanna said:

Glad to have you here for a simple challenge as well! The meals sound really tasty, especially with the home-grown veg. 

It does make it like 10 times tastier just like that :D 

On 5/15/2022 at 6:37 PM, Waanie said:

Yum! Especially spinach is so versatile, I love it :).

One of our crazily easy go-to recipes is spinach with beetroot, canned lentils, red onion, feta cheese and a balsamic dressing, but I guess it's too early for beets at the moment. It's one of those "I don't wanna cook"-meals that's on the table in 10 minutes and still healthy enough. I think you could swap feta for chicken if feta (sheep/goat cheese) is a problem.

She really is the best 😍. Your girls are adorable too!

I think I've heard you mention that one before! Raw spinach and cooked beetroot? We can definitely eat feta cheese, love it :) It is indeed too early for beets (from our own garden at least) but they are in there.. just possible that we might run out of spinach before they're done, heh. 

And thank you, I think so too :D very biased obv. 

On 5/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Hiiii! :D 

Hey :) I have been thinking about you a lot lately, in a non creepy way I promise. I'll send you a PM some time soon! 

5 hours ago, sylph said:

Halloooooo! :)

Hallo! How goes? :) are you challenging?

• Like 2

Sunday food was great! Jaap took the girls to the garden to get salad while I got started on fixing the fixings. When they got home both girls wanted to help in the kitchen so all four of us were 'cooking' and it was a slice of domestic bliss for sure :) we made a simple salad with chicken, feta, radishes, potatoes, cherry tomatoes and a homemade honey mustard dressing. 

Today (Monday) I baked some bread for the first time in a long time. I just use this standard mix with pumpkin seeds in it, it's lovely. Kneading dough is also quite pleasant! For dinner I made a radish stampot that was surprisingly excellent, so much so that i'm already planning the huge amount of radishes I'm going to grow next year. I made it by frying bacon, adding a diced onion and the sliced radishes and then adding all the radish greens- then I mixed all that (including the bacon grease) with mashed potatoes. Really good! 

Skipped training on both days because the hay fever has been really bad the past two days and that makes me sooooooo tired... tomorrow though, tired or not. 

Photo spam; 

• Like 6

Your garden is amazing! I'm jealous. I haven't even planted mine yet.  What is the fencing you  used for the circular garden?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

think I've heard you mention that one before! Raw spinach and cooked beetroot? We can definitely eat feta cheese, love it :) It is indeed too early for beets (from our own garden at least) but they are in there.. just possible that we might run out of spinach before they're done, heh. 

I might have mentioned it before; I eat it quite often, the last time was... yesterday ^_^. It's indeed raw spinach and cooked beets (we those vacuum-packed precooked beets).

Your food this weekend sounds very tasty as well :).

I hope you have a nice training today!

Love the photos! I hope you get some relief from the doom particles soon.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

On 5/16/2022 at 11:22 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That food looks amazing, and the helpers are so cute!

Thank you :) 

On 5/17/2022 at 4:18 AM, Elastigirl said:

Your garden is amazing! I'm jealous. I haven't even planted mine yet.  What is the fencing you  used for the circular garden?

We still have a lot of empty space filling in with weeds x) a lot of our seedlings died in a storm..

That is actually just ehm.. I think you'd call it chicken wire? with cardboard on the inside.. we filled it with manure first, then some wood chips and then a mix of earth/compost- the manure makes the whole thing a lot warmer so we were able to plant some things earlier than we would normally be able to. 

On 5/17/2022 at 3:04 PM, sylph said:

Doing alright. No challenge for me, though. I seem to be more successful without them. :)

Whatever works! You'll have to tell me here how you're doing then! Feeling at home? Rebuilding a local social circle a bit easier now?

On 5/17/2022 at 3:38 PM, Waanie said:

I might have mentioned it before; I eat it quite often, the last time was... yesterday ^_^. It's indeed raw spinach and cooked beets (we those vacuum-packed precooked beets).

Your food this weekend sounds very tasty as well :).

I hope you have a nice training today!

I made it with some of our last spinach :) I added some green asparagus because our (garden)neighbour gave me some, that was nice. And I had some leftovers and I put a diced apple in there to bulk it up a bit, I liked that a lot too. Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely make it again.. a good way to get in some healthy stuff! 

On 5/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, Harriet said:

Love the photos! I hope you get some relief from the doom particles soon.

It does seem to be a little less bad than last year? So some of my meds must be working at least :) Are you bothered by the doom particles? 

On 5/18/2022 at 7:55 PM, Mad Hatter said:

LOL :D Missed you!

I love the photos - it looks so cozy and idyllic and your fam is adorable!

Thank you! They're pretty cute when they're not being little monsters :)

It's been interesting watching my 5yo do art by the way- she already has blocks of her own, crazy right? She gets frustrated when she can't make something she imagined as well as she'd like to. 

• Like 3

Hi! 

I cooked nice things on Tuesday, I made Waanie's recipe for lunch and then I made a salad with green asparagus, soft boiled eggs, strawberries and goats cheese wrapped in bacon for dinner. 

Then I kind of lost the plot on Wednesday, because Jaap got a fever and made life even busier than usual. He's normally not one of those guys that feels like he's dying from the flu- he would normally still take care of the kids or do stuff around the house, but now he was completely out of it so I had to take over most of his work shifts and also take care of the kids and make sure there was food and clean cloths. I did make him go into the gym on Thursday evening because there was a body control class with 18 people in it and I don't teach that class regularly anymore and I've never handled more than 8 at a time.. yea.. 

So I still cooked dinner on Thursday and Friday but it was uninspiring. Saturday we ate at my moms and today we had a bbq with friends. Tomorrow I'm going grocery shopping :)

Training was good, tried for a 70kg 3 rep-(post baby)max backsquat on Tuesday but got a new 2 rep max instead because I failed the third :P Also managed to do multiple sets of 1 chin-up for the first time in a while on Wednesday.. and did my KB training on Friday despite not being able to go to class with Jaap being ill. Did not manage to get training in on Saturday nor was I able to make it up on Sunday. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I made it with some of our last spinach :) I added some green asparagus because our (garden)neighbour gave me some, that was nice. And I had some leftovers and I put a diced apple in there to bulk it up a bit, I liked that a lot too. Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely make it again.. a good way to get in some healthy stuff! 

I'm glad you liked it! Apple and asparagus are a good idea,I'll need to try at least the apple next time :).

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Training was good, tried for a 70kg 3 rep-(post baby)max backsquat on Tuesday but got a new 2 rep max instead because I failed the third :P Also managed to do multiple sets of 1 chin-up for the first time in a while on Wednesday..

Woah, you're getting so strong again! Good job :D.

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Training was good, tried for a 70kg 3 rep-(post baby)max backsquat on Tuesday but got a new 2 rep max instead because I failed the third :P Also managed to do multiple sets of 1 chin-up for the first time in a while on Wednesday.. and did my KB training on Friday despite not being able to go to class with Jaap being ill. Did not manage to get training in on Saturday nor was I able to make it up on Sunday. 

Noice! 70kg is nice and heavy :) Also, strawberries and bacon sound like a great combination. Why has no one ever explained fruit plus bacon to me before, or offered it? Incomprehensible.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:36 PM, KB Girl said:

Whatever works! You'll have to tell me here how you're doing then! Feeling at home? Rebuilding a local social circle a bit easier now?

Working on it! House feels like home, kittens hit 1 year old last week so they are chilling a bit and I've met a couple people through Bumble BFF that could make promising friends.

We've also cancelled our gym membership since the home gym is up and running so I'm currently doing some research on what local class things I could take that would result in meeting people (not even necessarily fitness related, but fun group activity where I would see the same people regularly).

On 5/22/2022 at 11:36 PM, KB Girl said:

It's been interesting watching my 5yo do art by the way- she already has blocks of her own, crazy right? She gets frustrated when she can't make something she imagined as well as she'd like to. 

Frustration is part of the territory, as long as she doesn't quit for 15 years it's all good. 😛 

On 5/22/2022 at 11:48 PM, KB Girl said:

Noice! Is Jaap feeling better?