Scaly Freak focuses on fire fighting

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sounds fun! Where can one get access to this show?

I am watching this playlist. I don't know it it's accessible outside the US though.

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ugh.. that's rough when you are in need!

Did you get it worked out? Could your husband help?*

*Not in a 'men must fix computer things' way ofc, but in a 'you go sit with a cup of tea while I deal with this for you' way x)

He did help by offering a big hug and suggesting that I take a break and do something else. Which made me feel better, so it worked.

I logged back into the game last night and was able to fix the graphics issues... the audio resolved itself via a reboot. :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

19 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I am watching this playlist. I don't know it it's accessible outside the US though.

It is! Sweet!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/26/2022 at 11:31 PM, Scaly Freak said:

And yes, I am in very real danger of starting to talk like Morticia soon. :D 

And this is a bad thing because....?

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

20 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

And this is a bad thing because....?

...I don't have a pet meat eating plant. Or a tall butler with a very deep voice. :( 

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

Jumping in late! Sorry to hear you have less flexibility work-wise now. Going in three days in a row is rough, too - I like to break up the days I need to go in so I can physically recover from the commute/stress/less optimal environment etc. 

Ah, yes. That's called "options", and "autonomy", I think? I've heard about these strange urban legends. 😏

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Challenge goal update:

Recover HP (physical health)

The goal was to restart Age of Pandora (program from Darebee), and this has not happened. Mental bandwidth and overall energy levels are stopping me, and I have made a very deliberate decision to stop trying so hard to do them anyway, and to not metaphorically beat myself up for not doing workouts. When I was sent home to work here, 26+ months ago, it took me 3-4 months to fully adjust, and I'm going to allow myself at least that much time to readjust to the office, before I start worrying.

Restore Mana (mental health)

My every-morning meditation  streak was broken this Saturday, for a reason I think everyone who reads this can guess at. I picked the streak back up after the weekend and will continue to build it back up.

Regenerate Stamina (emotional bandwidth)

Videogames. Books. Music. Movies. TV shows. Husband-and-sidekicks-time. Cooking. TTRPGs. Skincare exploration and haircare adventures. The bullet journal is not a daily thing, but very enjoyable when I do use it.

• Like 8

On 6/2/2022 at 11:01 PM, Scaly Freak said:

When I was sent home to work here, 26+ months ago, it took me 3-4 months to fully adjust, and I'm going to allow myself at least that much time to readjust to the office, before I start worrying.

Sensible observation. I remember there being a lot of stress involved when you went work from home, from not having the right furniture to not having a good routine. It makes a lot of sense that there would be a similar disruption when the situation reverses, and that working out how best to adjust is going to take some time to figure out.

(Still crossing fingers that they will consider more flexibility in future - probably a lot of people are struggling right now, which can't be good for the bottom line, you'd think.)

• Like 1

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

On 6/1/2022 at 1:56 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Ah, yes. That's called "options", and "autonomy", I think? I've heard about these strange urban legends. 😏

And if they don't give you options, they could at least create a nicer non-optional structure for you!

On 6/3/2022 at 4:01 AM, Scaly Freak said:

The goal was to restart Age of Pandora (program from Darebee), and this has not happened. Mental bandwidth and overall energy levels are stopping me, and I have made a very deliberate decision to stop trying so hard to do them anyway, and to not metaphorically beat myself up for not doing workouts. When I was sent home to work here, 26+ months ago, it took me 3-4 months to fully adjust, and I'm going to allow myself at least that much time to readjust to the office, before I start worrying.

Great plan - I needed to hear this too, as my recent upheaval has also derailed my exercise plans. 

Stamina regeneration looks like it's going well - making time for self-care is a big win.

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Sensible observation. I remember there being a lot of stress involved when you went work from home, from not having the right furniture to not having a good routine. It makes a lot of sense that there would be a similar disruption when the situation reverses, and that working out how best to adjust is going to take some time to figure out.

2 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Great plan - I needed to hear this too, as my recent upheaval has also derailed my exercise plans. 

..and I need to constantly remind myself of this as well. In fact, when I went home it was probably a bit easier than this will be, because I was going from one full-time routine to another full-time routine, while this time around, it's a split between home and office. In other words, it's more complex and may need even more time. 

11 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Stamina regeneration looks like it's going well - making time for self-care is a big win.

It is, and I am happy about this part. :) 

• Like 3

I'm starting to worry that my in-game horse isn't as smart as it claims to be... this is most undignified!

hit the wall.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Meditating by the pond at a safe distance from the very rude wall, in an effort to recover from whole the incident. (Spoilered for size)

Spoiler

UotEO7W.jpg

• Like 3

I've had bad experiences with in-game horses in most games I've played that involved them. I think programmers don't understand horse psychology and believe they have some special attraction toward walls, streams and other kinds of obstacles. I blame their study programs for not involving such crucially key modules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

1 minute ago, Jean said:

I think programmers don't understand horse psychology and believe they have some special attraction toward walls, streams and other kinds of obstacles.

This theory does seem valid. In this particular game, I fear they have the same misconception about cows as well... 

to0pSge.jpg

• Haha 3

On 6/3/2022 at 5:01 AM, Scaly Freak said:

When I was sent home to work here, 26+ months ago, it took me 3-4 months to fully adjust, and I'm going to allow myself at least that much time to readjust to the office, before I start worrying.

Eminently sensible and patient.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:31 AM, Scaly Freak said:

to0pSge.jpg

Being able to walk through walls is an excellent power! I wish I could do that.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

How goes? Meditation streak resurrection going well? 

Not as well as it could. I have fallen back into the habit of forgetting to meditate on weekends. If that's not resolved by the time next challenge starts, I'll have to make that one of my goals again.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 11:37 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Not as well as it could. I have fallen back into the habit of forgetting to meditate on weekends. If that's not resolved by the time next challenge starts, I'll have to make that one of my goals again.

I find that weekends are challenging too. I don't have to follow my usual routine, so there is no dedicated time for meditation. I tend to put it off. Being able to do it whenever I want definitely does not help.

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I find that weekends are challenging too. I don't have to follow my usual routine, so there is no dedicated time for meditation. I tend to put it off. Being able to do it whenever I want definitely does not help.

This is exactly it! It's disturbing how easy it is to forget. 

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

When do you usually meditate? Any way you could anchor it to some other habit say morning coffee?

Morning coffee is when I do it on work days. On weekends, the rituals around morning coffee are very different, which is one of the reasons it's so difficult to remember... but that does suggest that if I can establish the morning coffee more firmly on weekends the meditation will come with it. Hmmm...! This is worth a try!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Speaking of, how's the transition to office life coming along now?

Well, as it turns out, rather shitty. 🙄

Spoiler

A person I work with, who I thankfully have not had in-person meetings with or spent a lot of time in long conversations with, most likely has COVID.  (Her spouse tested positive, and she said she was feeling symptomatic before she went home today.) however, I have had in-person meetings with others who had long meetings with this person both yesterday and today and, and I think I've mentioned this before, no one else here wears a mask. So even though we're all vaccinated, there is definitely a fairly high risk of exposure here, and my anxiety is of course running wild with all the worst-case possibilities it can think of. 

On the plus side I have a valid excuse to work from home now... 😡

• Sad 4