Three weeks ago I was contemplating suicide

Around five years ago I tried to do it. Now I have your attention using these facts as a shameless hook, let me continue.

First, don't worry about the suicide. I am now locked up on a psychiatric ward and no longer want to do it.

This post is about fitness.

I won't bore you with my story, TLDR version I yo-yo'd between 325 lbs and 173 lbs, completing a marathon last year at an obese 240 lbs and 5'7" tall. I ran the majority of it, but I did walk parts of the second half.

Now after getting quite fit and strong I blobbied out when I got locked up on this psychiatric ward.

I'm so sick of this cycle I want to be strong like a Spartan but my funds are limited though I'm not completely without cash.

Where do I turn for help? I'm basically clueless just doing what the intro guy at the gym said for months, until I got locked up.

You have no idea what I've been through, how could you, I haven't told you.

It wasn't that bad but it wasn't that easy either. Please help me finally achieve this goal you *truly* cannot begin to understand how tragically grateful I'll be.

a marathon?  Good job.   I'm thinking of trying a 5K maybe this fall.   Respawning yet again.  

As for suicide, I've always had it in my mind, a quiet dark figure in the shadows.  I've tried therapy, but haven't had much luck, with therapists leaving to have children, etc.      

On 5/23/2022 at 12:54 AM, superbeing_joyride said:

Where do I turn for help? I'm basically clueless just doing what the intro guy at the gym said for months, until I got locked up.

I have been enjoying GMB's various free resources. Here's a link to one basic starting point. If you sign up for their emails (free), they often include links to tutorials and various informative blog articles. I've been doing their stuff for several months and have gained quite a bit of joint strength and mobility, as well as body control. My fitness goals are about being strong and functional for every day life, and not getting bored with a routine. I have found plenty to keep me occupied, and I didn't need extra equipment or a lot of space to do it. I worked out in a bathroom for weeks, with a floor space of about 2-3 feet by 7-8 feet. My personal gains: my squat is deeper (b/c of increased ankle/foot strength and mobility), my shoulders got more flexible and stronger in the joints (doing floor locomotion stuff). I've gained body control and my balance and posture feel more secure and stable.

Of course they have online stuff to sell you, but I'm not able to invest there yet. I'm finding plenty to keep me occupied and challenged.

There are a few of us nerds doing GMB stuff to various extents. I like it because it's not just lifting weights in one plane of motion, and it translates to real-world movement really well. Also it's very gentle but definitely is a workout. Their mindset is generally practical, not shaming or forceful. It may feel like you're going backwards to go forwards, but for me it was well worth it.

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3