Campaign 2022

Adventure: Dreamwalker

BHcdQWG.jpg

Ok, let's try this again. Your resident bladesinger is still alive! My last few challenges have been wonderfully epic "failures"..."failures" in the sense that I failed to keep up with goals (if I made them in the first place), and definitely failed at tracking or posting any updates when I actually did complete them, BUT they were set aside to make room for other priorities...so, I don't think it is so much of a failure as it was a trade off. 

Anyway, the first part of this year has just been crazy. There were deaths, hardships, health issues, and injuries on the one hand, and house-buying, moving, completing a certification for work, and getting accepted to an MBA program on the other...so, a rollercoaster of all kinds of things. 

But, the house-hunting, and painting, and moving, and unpacking are finally over. Things are finally settling down into a routine. I am loving my new job (been there about seven months now) and we are my team is starting to find its groove with our new intern and new boss (both started about two or three months ago). I am working on wrapping up one certification in July so it is out of the way for when my MBA courses start in earnest in the fall. 

The area that has suffered the most lately is my fitness routine and sleep. With all the craziness of moving, there were lots of late nights, lots of eating out, and though we were getting lots of physical activity in with painting and hauling boxes and furniture, there was no time to any structured exercise. Which was fine...until all that slowed down. One of the great things about moving is the opportunity to build new habits and leave old habits behind...but it also means some extra struggles to maintain and/or rebuild the habits you actually wanted to keep. 

But, Aries and I have decided we want to start kickboxing and maybe some MMA at a local MMA gym in mid July. So, I have two months to whip my butt into shape so I don't die or break myself, lol. 

You would think that would mean my goals for this challenge would focus around fitness - you would think wrong, I am doing that next challenge. This challenge I am going even more foundational - the primary focal point of the rest of this challenge (better late than never, right?) is sleep schedule. Though I have been getting ENOUGH sleep again these past couple weeks, I need to start restructuring my sleep schedule to better accommodate the MMA courses. Right now I go into work around 9am, but my goal is to start going in close to 7-7:30am, so I can wrap up my day close to 4-4:30 instead of closer to 5:30-6pm. 

I am making that my only goal for this challenge because that is going to be a huge challenge for me. I am NOT a morning person by any stretch of the meaning. So getting up two hours earlier is going to be a challenging and probably painful process. Don't get me wrong, I still do plan to work on getting in more exercise and whatnot, it just doesn't get to be center stage until next challenge.

So, the Strategy:

Focus the rest of this week on getting up by 7:40am

Next week: 7:20am

Third week: 7:00am

My goal is to eventually get up closer to probably 6:15-6:30, but I am going to take this slow. My body and brain have been through enough stress and changes lately. And on top of that, as someone with bipolar disorder, adding stress or making sudden or drastic changes to sleep patterns is...well, not advisable. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

So, I started working out again about a week and a half ago. It was almost laughably bad and my muscles were unnecessarily sore for four or five days, but after just a week and a half I am already seeing significant improvements in my muscle strength and endurance, so though I have lost quite a bit of ground not working out consistently since like January, it is at least coming back pretty quickly. 

It helps that I moved into a three-story townhome. It probably goes without saying, my legs have definitely been the winners in the muscle-maintenance category, lol.

• Like 3

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

Congrats again on the MBA program. And rock on-focusing on a healthy change to sleep patterns is a good thing!  MMA sounds like fun. 

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 5/25/2022 at 5:56 AM, Sciread77 said:

Congrats again on the MBA program. And rock on-focusing on a healthy change to sleep patterns is a good thing!  MMA sounds like fun. 

Thanks! All the new activities should certainly keep me busy, lol. I am looking forward to joining the MMA gym. We are starting with kickboxing, which is nice. I have been in enough types of situations that strengthening some defense skills is appealing.

——

My attempt at working on my sleep schedule went ok-ish this week. I was doing pretty well until about Friday, and then working from home and an extended weekend allowed me to be more lax…which I definitely leaned into, lol. I need to come up with a better plan for the weekends. I don’t know if I necessarily want to keep the same sleep schedule as during the week, but I probably should at least try for something better than after 10am, lol 

• Like 1

Oh, almost forgot - for wins for the week: I got registered for some courses, got some studying done for my cert (keeping on track), got in a few good workouts, and smoothly navigated a tricky situation at work that could have gone sideways on me and required me to both advocate for myself and be professional but firm…and I did both 😀

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Oh, almost forgot - for wins for the week: I got registered for some courses, got some studying done for my cert (keeping on track), got in a few good workouts, and smoothly navigated a tricky situation at work that could have gone sideways on me and required me to both advocate for myself and be professional but firm…and I did both 😀

What’s your program look like? I take it it’s an evening/weekend program for professionals?  What classes are you in?

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 5/30/2022 at 11:15 PM, Sciread77 said:

What’s your program look like? I take it it’s an evening/weekend program for professionals?  What classes are you in?

It is a pretty standard program. I have to do some foundational/bridge courses because I don't have a business undergrad, but it is your typical MBA with core in a variety of business areas, some management courses, and then electives for specializing in an area of business. I haven't decided on my specialization yet, just focusing on foundation and core until I find more direction as I go along.

It is an online program, though I can also take classes on-campus if I want. This university has a lot of flexibility between their online and on-campus programs; the same professors teach in both environments, it is the same degree, etc. I work on campus, so it would be pretty easy for me to pick up a night class or even an afternoon class (that I could attend during my lunch break). But, I work for the online division of the university, so I figured I would give our program a shot, lol. I do plan on doing an on-campus program in the future, though. 

I am registered for an Econ and a Business admin course for the summer, then in the fall, A term I have some accounting (which goes full term) and Econ, then B term the rest of the accounting course and a...I think management course? lol. Pretty much all of them are the bridge courses, so I don't anticipate them being that difficult.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, Teros said:

Fucking awesome - that sort of dance is tough as hell.

The best part - my supervisor actually APOLOGIZED when I talked to him. My past two companies, I worked for the worst leaders - my last job, he wasn't just a bad leader, he wasn't a stellar person either. And I cannot even imagine them ever apologizing. It is so nice to finally work in a healthy environment with people who will actually admit when they are wrong and apologize if they make a mistake that negatively impacts someone. 

• Like 2

Most of this week I did fairly well with my sleep goals. They still kinda go out the window on Friday and the weekend. I know why though; on Friday I work from home, so have extra time in the morning, and on the weekends I don't have to get up early. I need to make sure I get up at the same time when I am working from home as I do when I am going into the office. I will get lots of practice with that this week because it is my wfh week. I think having a regular wake-up time will make it easier to stick to. I think I will start with that and then work on the weekends. I am already naturally getting up a little earlier as I adjust to the new schedule, so figuring out the weekends might be easier in a few weeks.

I also have furthered my commitment to adjusting my sleep schedule by adjusting my work schedule. I told my supervisor I wanted to move my start time up an hour (we don't have rigid hours, but they want us to come in/log in at roughly the same time each day; we can change it, we just need to let them know so they know when to expect us/schedule meetings/etc). So, now I have that to help hold me accountable. My goal is to eventually bump it up another 30-45 min when I start MMA, but this will do for now.

I also got signed up for the gym on campus - and have incentives to go to it. It is a nice gym with tons of machines and free weights, a climbing wall, a lap pool and a lazy river, basketball courts, a run/walking track, etc. Regularly it costs employees $37 a month for a membership, BUT, if you have a health plan through the school and attend the gym at least 8x a month, they cut the cost down to $10 a month. And that works out perfectly. I am on campus probably around 10-12 days a month, so to get my discount, I gotta make sure I get my but in the gym pretty much every day I am there. And I like discounts, haha.

Sometime this month, I am finally going to get some gym mats so Aries and I can start setting up our home gym. We decided when we were moved here that we wanted to convert the one-car garage into a gym. We will have to figure out temperature control for it at some point, but it is a great space for a small home gym. It has like 12ft ceilings, so if we want to drop some rings or have taller cages or push-up bars (we need stuff up high; Aries is 6'3" and I am 5'10"), it will not be a problem. Right now our gym will mostly just be dumbbells and bands and a flat bench, but we eventually want to get a rack and plates, as well as a bag for kickboxing, some other benches, maybe something for cardio, maybe a softer mat for grappling/mma practice, etc.

• Like 1

I have been pretty consistently getting in at least two solid workouts a week with a more conscious effort to getting in a little more movement throughout the week for a few weeks now. In my bodyweight workouts, I have gone from being SO sore for like 5 days after my first workout, to barely feeling it the next day and have made big jumps in the intensity and duration of the workout, so things are coming back on nicely. I am still nowhere near where I was a few months ago, but I am probably double where I was a few weeks ago…so, progress.

I haven’t added any weights or bands back yet, but I feel like I have reached about the place I want to be to start adding them back in, so I gotta get those mats soon…

• Like 1