Weekly(ish) Battle Log

Trying to get back into the swing of things. Lots of life changes since I was here last. The biggest and most recent is that I went from a job where I was averaging 10k steps and endless staircases everyday just from being at work, to a job where I'm driving a truck for 10 hours a day 3 days a week. Less stressful by a long shot, but definitely gonna have to make a point of being more active.  The company I'm driving for is putting me up in a hotel the days that I work, so my plan is to use the treadmill when I'm there and do strength training at home. Being away from home (and on a somewhat tight schedule) means I have to take food with me, so I'm able to plan ahead a little more and eat healthier. The schedule is a bit odd, but I think I've come up with a way to make it work. I leave the house at 11pm, drive 40 minutes to get to my truck, and drive 5 hours down the road with 1 stop on the way. Shut down in a hotel for 10 hours, then drive 5 hours back with 2 stops and head home. I end up back home between 8 and 10pm so I'm gone for almost 24 hours 3 days a week. I intend to workout just before bed and sleep from about 7am to 3pm.

Short term goal is to just get back into a workout/healthy eating routine. Gonna start slow, walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes and gradually working my way up to an hour.  Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings I'll check into the hotel and hop onto the treadmill. Strength training I'm basically starting over as well. Gonna do the Beginner Bodyweight Workout Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Monday and Tuesday are gonna be light workouts since they're back to back days, but it's what fits in my schedule right now. Saturdays are D&D days or puppy class/walk when we don't have D&D.

Long term goal is losing weight and being more active. I don't really have a set goal weight, just want to feel healthier and be slimmer. I'd love to get into parkour or freerunning, but that's not something I quite feel ready for. Not gonna stop me from doing little jumps here and there and whispering to myself "parkour" when no one is watching, though. But getting as hardcore (or even mediumcore) into it as I want is gonna have to wait a little bit. I wanna do some kind of self defense/martial arts class at some point, but I need a little bit more free time to make that fit, so pursuing any kind of belt is gonna have to wait as well. I do have a friend who has offered to show me a few things when he comes over for our weekly D&D sessions, though.

Diet wise I'm trying to hydrate better, cut down on soda (I have a root beer addiction), and eat more fruits and veggies. Currently taking fruits and veggies with me when I'm on the road, so that part isn't a problem. The problem is that there's delicious food and soda at home that I have to practice willpower to keep from eating. Thankfully I like fruit, so if I get hungry and want a snack I'm not sitting there miserably chewing on a piece of celery while staring at the cookie jar. Perfectly content with some cut up strawberries.

Last time I was on here I think I was trying to update my battle log too often. This time I'm gonna try to update it a little less often. My current goal is once a week, but I may change that to every other week. Gonna try and get my BuJo back up and running so I can keep track of things better during the week. I intend to post progress with how much I walk/run, weights/difficulty level with strength training, hydration and food goals being met, and whether I kept up with my journal.

I have a few apps that I'm hoping will motivate me to keep up with the walking, btw. Zombies!Run, The Walk, PokemonGo, and Walkr. Not 100% on the PokemonGo just because I remember getting overwhelmed with how complicated some of the things in it are. May focus more on the simpler parts of it; leveling up my friendships with buddies and hatching eggs. If anyone wants to add me my code is 8814 6697 9983, but I'm not super active. Walkr has the ability to add friends as well, but there's a limit to how many friends you can benefit from unless you're in a lab together. (Which could be cool; creating a nerdfitness lab and helping each other explore planets and whatnot.) It does have a lot of ads, though. If Pikmin ever straightens themselves out so their app is no longer breaking Android phones, I'll download it again. Back when it first came out and again last week when I gave them a second chance, it turns my phone into a brick until I hard reset and uninstall the app. Sad that Wizards Unite got discontinued. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I've tried Jurassic World Alive but it's too slow and laggy for me. I also downloaded Active Arcade, which looks cute, but haven't tried it yet. Might incorporate it into my strength training days just for a bit of variety.

• Like 1

Looks like it's going well so far! I used to work nights, and that can really drain you. The daytime life has a strong pull, so I ended up sleep deprived pretty quickly. Hopefully the hotels have good blackout shades and plenty of white noise from the AC! 

• Like 1

I tend to gravitate towards night shift, so that part doesn't bother me. The times when I haven't been working I tend to stay up until about 4 and get up at noon. The bad part is that my boyfriend and I are on different sleep schedules now. Thankfully we still have opportunities to nap together. The hotel has fairly thick shades but they don't close well. A well placed binder clip solves that problem. And I've always been a heavy sleeper, so even the vacuum running in the hall outside my room doesn't wake me most of the time. Unfortunately sometimes my alarm doesn't wake me either, lol.

• Like 2

Been a slow week. Got on the treadmill once. That's about the only step I've taken in the right direction other than researchy type stuff. Trying to come up with a good way to get more veggies into my diet. I'm lazy and don't wanna do a ton of prep and I don't have access to a fridge or a microwave when I'm on the road. Raw veggies would be the easiest, but they're not as appetizing. Dip is messy and is one more container to wash. Veggie chips would be great, but the prep is too much. Leaning towards roasting them and just snacking on them when I'm at home. That or things like broccoli and green bean casseroles. I know that's not the healthiest option, but I'm not really getting that much bad stuff in my diet, so I'm not too concerned with cutting a corner to make sure I'm getting enough veggies.

I'm also trying to figure out how I'm gonna track stuff. Being on night shift I wake up one day and go to bed the next. So do I track from wake-up to bedtime, or midnight to midnight? There's pros and cons to both but I'm leaning towards midnight to midnight.

I'm remembering how much I prefer grazing to eating large meals. Having containers of snackable fruit, cheese, and meat in the truck has been great. I eat a few bites (parmesan cheese and blueberries pair ridiculously well together) and drink 4-8 oz of water. As long as I have stuff pre portioned it should make it easier to not over eat as well as making sure I'm eating enough of the right things.

• Like 1

Not much to report. Still getting into the swing of things. My right ankle has been a bit tender the last 2 weeks. Got some compression socks to wear while driving and I'm trying to be mindful of how I'm walking when I'm at home and barefoot. I have a bad habit of walking around on the balls of my feet and when my ankle was messed up before the physical therapist said that might be a contributing factor. Taking it easy on the treadmill for now and working on some physical therapy to build strength back up.

• Like 1