12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Season 2 Vulcan GIF by Paramount+

image.png

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

If you have a ton of stuff to shred, you can take it to Staples and they charge $1/pound to just shove it in their bulk shredding bin. My shredder is a piece of garbage and not having to deal with it saved my sanity.

11 hours ago, Severine said:

I was going to say the same thing except that my shredding emporium of choice is UPS. Laziness is self care 😁

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Ugh, I remember that. It took me the longest time to shred our paper.  The memory of that has prompted me to  be a bit more on top of it, shredding it more often. When the basket gets full, I  shred. Not as often as I should, but before it becomes Mt Shredme and takes over our office

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

FYI, Most UPS Stores will securely shred papers.  It's like a buck a pound or something?  Less if you have more.  In my experience, 100% worth the cost.

ETA:  LOL, ok, I kept reading and realize I'm just repeating everyone else.  :D

The problem is not putting things through the shredder. It's taking out the stuff that needs to be shredded from stuff that doesn't. As much stuff as we have, we really have to separate it because it would really make a difference on price. Like Elastigirl said, I think if we do it the hard way it will help us not get back into this situation. Some of the stuff we are going through is older than our relationship.

9 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Yes, it does do that, and my recipe only had a cup of pasta sauce to begin with. I guess I just thought of it more as a sausage and peppers dish and not a tomato sauce dish.

I think of it as sausage and peppers too, but I REALLY hate watered down pasta sauce.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Some of the stuff we are going through is older than our relationship.

When I did a shredding cleanout for our move in 2021, I found random admin documents from my first year of university (in 2000). It's amazing what we hang on to through pure inertia. Feels great to let it go.

• Like 4

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
7 hours ago, Severine said:

When I did a shredding cleanout for our move in 2021

Frequent moves have done wonders for our paper stacks.  And file drawers ....

• Like 3

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

14 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Yeah the sad thing is that I moved five times between the generation of those papers and 2021! I just had this box of "important papers" that I always carted from one place to another without ever actually sorting through it.

Good reminder to re-evaluate once in a while  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
8 hours ago, Severine said:

When I did a shredding cleanout for our move in 2021, I found random admin documents from my first year of university (in 2000). It's amazing what we hang on to through pure inertia. Feels great to let it go.

It really does good to let it go. Just doing the clothes and the books was a freeing process.

1 hour ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

One would have hoped that would have been the case for us, but we hired movers and have always had plenty of storage so...

54 minutes ago, Severine said:

Yeah the sad thing is that I moved five times between the generation of those papers and 2021! I just had this box of "important papers" that I always carted from one place to another without ever actually sorting through it.

Good reminder to re-evaluate once in a while  😄

Our box was labeled "Papers to sort."

Today is a good day. I'm working this evening, and normally have Wednesdays off, so I've been a bit thrown off. We got groceries in the morning, and I did cook. I at least did some OHP reps on my meal break at the gym here. That's for sure better than noting.

Lunch was pork chops with roasted butternut squash and shaved brussels sprouts. The sprouts had onion and bacon in them.

• Like 12

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Today is a day. Work was fine. Before work I did the lower body part of the KB workout. Little Bit did not nap at school today, and she went to bed late last night and she was GRUMPY. She did not listen well today, and had several meltdowns. We handled the first couple well, but our patience wore out and we simply survived the others. 

I do not like this phase.

Dinner was good. I got some beef cut up for stew meat and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar and cooked it in a skillet. I took it out and cooked some frozen broccoli florets (1 pound) in the drippings with the same seasoning. I put the beef (a pound and a half's worth) back in, along with 1.25 cups heavy cream and a package of garlic and herb spreadable cheese. The cheese melted and I stirred stuff together. I really nailed the cook time on the beef, it was very tender and the flavors were amazing. It went really well with mashed potatoes.

• Like 13

Current Challenge

9 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

our patience wore out and we simply survived the others. 

I do not like this phase.

I did not like this phase either.

The boys were only 2 years apart, 25 months to be precise, so just as one phase was really ramping up I was dealing with a different, equally exhausting phase on another. I was alone, overworked but somehow poor, and doing the best I could, which often wasn't anything near what I wanted.

One hot muggy night after a long day of work, as the three year old melted down and the toddler oscillated between throwing the organic-from-scratch food I had just spent twenty minutes making (they both had infant allergies that they outgrew, but the organic habit stuck) and trying to kill himself by climbing on things, I sat down in the middle of the playroom, a room off the kitchen quarantined by a baby gate. The boys were in the kitchen and I could see them. I sat down on the carpet and just watched, the most literal version of babysitting ever to be seen.

I was too tired to parent. I was too tired to freak out. I was too tired. So I sat behind the gate, in parent time-out. This was unheard of, and it stopped them dead in their tracks. The Three year old came and sat on the other side of the gate and watched me back. The one year old sat and watched his brother. We stayed that way for about five minutes before I removed the gate and said "who would like to read me a story?" And lo, the three year old lit up with suggestions of which story, and the one year old came over and crawled in my lap. We read and played low-key with toys, and then had bath time and all went to bed.

I don't think either of them ever threw a temper tantrum again.

• Like 8
  • Wow 3

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

45 minutes ago, Heidi said:

I did not like this phase either.

The boys were only 2 years apart, 25 months to be precise, so just as one phase was really ramping up I was dealing with a different, equally exhausting phase on another. I was alone, overworked but somehow poor, and doing the best I could, which often wasn't anything near what I wanted.

One hot muggy night after a long day of work, as the three year old melted down and the toddler oscillated between throwing the organic-from-scratch food I had just spent twenty minutes making (they both had infant allergies that they outgrew, but the organic habit stuck) and trying to kill himself by climbing on things, I sat down in the middle of the playroom, a room off the kitchen quarantined by a baby gate. The boys were in the kitchen and I could see them. I sat down on the carpet and just watched, the most literal version of babysitting ever to be seen.

I was too tired to parent. I was too tired to freak out. I was too tired. So I sat behind the gate, in parent time-out. This was unheard of, and it stopped them dead in their tracks. The Three year old came and sat on the other side of the gate and watched me back. The one year old sat and watched his brother. We stayed that way for about five minutes before I removed the gate and said "who would like to read me a story?" And lo, the three year old lit up with suggestions of which story, and the one year old came over and crawled in my lap. We read and played low-key with toys, and then had bath time and all went to bed.

I don't think either of them ever threw a temper tantrum again.

star-wars-revenge-of-sith.gif

• Haha 7

Current Challenge

38 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

star-wars-revenge-of-sith.gif

Well yes, but are you sure?

christina ricci film GIF

• Wow 1
  • That's Metal 2

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I am holding out hope for your tantrum-y survival and also hope that this ends for you ASAP.  That sounds terrible but you and Sra are strong badass parents and will get through this!

• Thanks 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

20 hours ago, Heidi said:

Well yes, but are you sure?

christina ricci film GIF

There are times a lightening strike seems preferable to waiting out a tantrum.

11 hours ago, shaar said:

I am holding out hope for your tantrum-y survival and also hope that this ends for you ASAP.  That sounds terrible but you and Sra are strong badass parents and will get through this!

Thank you.

Today is a good day. It helped that I went to work. I did the arm part of the KB workout before leaving. Work was fine. We had dinner delivered, as was the plan.

• Like 7

Current Challenge

20 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There are times a lightening strike seems preferable to waiting out a tantrum.

Agreed.

And apparently the lesson of that long ago day held. One day as we were all piling home after a respective long day at work/school/daycare, the three children and I were in the kitchen, unpacking day bags, prepping dinner, and suchlike. Vivian, all of 18 months, had had ENOUGH OF THIS and started wailing to high heaven. I looked at her from where I was at the stove and said, "it's frustrating. Cry. I don't mind." Graeme, 11 nearly twelve, looked at her and said "she really doesn't." 

And *floomf* Vivian sat down so hard her diaper poofed out and her skirt fluffed up. She sulked for half a second. I gave her a spoon to taste and asked if she wanted to help cook. She was fine and never had a temper tantrum again.

• Like 3

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

On 7/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, Heidi said:

Agreed.

And apparently the lesson of that long ago day held. One day as we were all piling home after a respective long day at work/school/daycare, the three children and I were in the kitchen, unpacking day bags, prepping dinner, and suchlike. Vivian, all of 18 months, had had ENOUGH OF THIS and started wailing to high heaven. I looked at her from where I was at the stove and said, "it's frustrating. Cry. I don't mind." Graeme, 11 nearly twelve, looked at her and said "she really doesn't." 

And *floomf* Vivian sat down so hard her diaper poofed out and her skirt fluffed up. She sulked for half a second. I gave her a spoon to taste and asked if she wanted to help cook. She was fine and never had a temper tantrum again.

Yeah, we rolled up VERY different character sheets for parenting. 🤷‍♂️We've told Little Bit for her whole life it's ok to cry.

Today is a good day. I had some chest congestion, but it was coming up as mucus when I coughed. I took some mucinex and with my other meds it's ok, though I can't exert myself too much without feeling winded. We did get a lot accomplished today. Little Bit and I went to the library to drop off some books, then to Ikea to pick up her Bigger Girl Bed™ 

She's getting too tall for her toddler bed, so we got her a Twin bed and mattress. She picked out sheets and a comforter yesterday with Sra. Tanque (Jurassic World themed. A friend at school had a dinosaur themed birthday party the day before we think might have influenced the decision, but she does like dinosaurs). We got her the Kura from Ikea. We will use the non-loft configuration for now, we'll flip it over when we move her out of the room she's using now and turn what is currently the guest room into hers. That will be in a year or two. I'll put it together for her next week. She didn't nap, but miraculously didn't have any melt downs today. She also got her first haircut today, which went beautifully. No problems at all. We prepped her pretty well for it. She was nervous at times, but we worked through it with her. We took her to a kid's place that has a first haircut special, so they know how to give people haircuts. They have old PowerWheels as the seats for the kids, and TV's hooked up to Netflix or Disney Plus at each station. The place is legit. We went out to eat after that and had a lovely time. It was a real blessing to enjoy the whole day with Little Bit again.

• Like 12

Current Challenge

On 7/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yeah, we rolled up VERY different character sheets for parenting. 🤷‍♂️We've told Little Bit for her whole life it's ok to cry.

I always said the same thing, but this was kind of a verbal shrugging off of her budding temper tantrum, a thing my friends back then called my Willy Wonka voice: go ahead, throw a fit, it will change absolutely nothing, but perhaps you'll feel better when you're through. Temper tantrum s are, of course, different from situation-derived tears and (in Ethan's case) autistic meltdowns. Those get supportive immediate responses.

I'm glad you and Little Bit had a good day. Vivian had a Kura also. 🙂

• Like 2

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

1 minute ago, Heidi said:

I always said the same thing, but this was kind of a verbal shrugging off of her budding temper tantrum, a thing my friends back then called my Willy Wonka voice: go ahead, throw a fit, it will change absolutely nothing, but perhaps you'll feel better when you're through. Temper tantrum s are, of course, different from situation-derived tears and (in Ethan's case) autistic meltdowns. Those get supportive immediate responses.

I'm glad you and Little Bit had a good day. Vivian had a Kura also. 🙂

Thanks. 

Today is a good day. I worked during church again, but that's the last time. I gave the hospital three Sunday mornings, next week I'll be back to working Sunday Evenings instead. Dinner was good. I cooked a chopped onion and some diced ham in three tablespoons of butter. After five to six minutes. I added three tablespoons of flower stirred, then slowly added 3 cups of milk, stirring the whole time. I also added a tablespoon of Mustard and salt and pepper to taste. After that, I added eight ounces of shredded cheddar. When that was melted in I added 3 packages of microwave elbow noodles and a package of frozen creamed spinach I had heated in the microwave. I stirred it all together and it was INCREDIBLE. 

• Like 6

Current Challenge

Today is a good day. Did the leg part of the KB workout in the morning. Played with Little Bit some, then started setting up the grill. The propane bottle was empty, so we loaded it and Little Bit into the wagon and walked to the hardware store (our back fence separates our property from the hardware store property, literally just going around the block) to get a full one. Fortunately I started early enough this did not delay Lunch. Lunch was burgers. I took two pounds of grass-fed ground beef and added 1.5 tbsp Montreal steak seasoning, mixed, and formed it into patties. When my grill was hot I turned off the gas and sprayed the grates with PAM, then turned the fire back on (DO NOT DO THIS when the burners are lit, for obvious reasons). That was a good idea, as there were no problems with the meat sticking and I got better than normal grill marks. We put them on Hawaiian Buns with Garlic and Herb spreadable cheese on the bottom bun, and Apricot Preserves on the top bun. We put some baby spring mix between the meat and the top bun. It was INCREDIBLE. We had some waffle fries from the air fryer to go with it. At work now, getting time and a half.

• Like 12

Current Challenge

That's a neat bed! I've never seen a reversible bed like that ... What fresh sorcery  🤯 very very cool, may the assembly go very easily and I hope lil bit enjoys it! I love that she picked Jurassic world bedding 😂 right on, kiddo, dinos are for everyone. 

• Like 1

Matthew 25:34-40

On 7/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, Maggie-Miau said:

That's a neat bed! I've never seen a reversible bed like that ... What fresh sorcery  🤯 very very cool, may the assembly go very easily and I hope lil bit enjoys it! I love that she picked Jurassic world bedding 😂 right on, kiddo, dinos are for everyone. 

To reverse it you literally just flip it over.

Today is a good day. We woke up early-ish, which was difficult since I worked the swing shift last night and took a while to fall asleep. I did get my arm workout in. We took Little Bit for her first round of Covid Vaccine. She did really well, it was over before she knew it, and the nurses were very good. They gave us a $50 HEB gift card too, probably part of some incentive program, but we weren't gonna turn down a gift card to the grocery store we use every week. We had donuts to celebrate Little Bit's bravery at a Hipster Donut Place™. After that, we went home and Sra. Tanque took little bit to the library so I could put together the bed. It was harder to get out of the package than to put together, but before I could do that I had to take apart the crib, which was a pain due to all the bolts being difficult to get to. Taking the new bed out of the package was a bit difficult, but I got it done. Putting it together was fairly easy, just tedious in places. I was almost done when the ladies came back and helped me with the last part. It looks really good in Little BIt's room. She enjoyed it at nap time. After her nap we put the rest of the furniture back in the room. 

Dinner was good. I cooked some couscous with butter, salt, pepper, and a bit of cinammon. I also cooked a diced onion in oil for about five minutes. I then added some rotisserie chicken I had chopped, along with golden raisins, green onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, the couscous, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. I stirred it together. We served it with hummus and toasted pita. 

I am tired. Between less sleep, the workout, then using different muscles to put together the bed, but mainly due to the hassle of taking apart the crib. It's okay though, I used my energy in worthy pursuits.

• Like 10

Current Challenge

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hipster Donut Place™.

Whatever happened to a good old fashioned chocolate covered donut... kids these days....

Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

(I say this knowing full well if offered a Hipster Donut I'd mow that sucker down too)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

21 minutes ago, shaar said:

Whatever happened to a good old fashioned chocolate covered donut... kids these days....

Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

(I say this knowing full well if offered a Hipster Donut I'd mow that sucker down too)

I had a yeast donut with Nutella spread on it with Reese's Puffs Breakfast Cereal on that. 

Also, the donut itself was so good I asked if they ever sold the donuts plain without any toppings.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That bed is coolness.  Glad  things are going well!

The new hasn't worn off yet on the bed. I even still smell fresh pine when I go in the room.

Today is a good day. I woke up about 4am with a migraine starting to go, I took meds and went back to bed. When I woke up I wasn't hurting, but was low energy like I jumped straight to the post-migraine hangover, so I didn't work out today. All symptoms were gone by lunch. We did go to the grocery store in the morning, where Little Bit had a big meltdown at checkout. Sra. Tanque had to carry her screaming from the store. Everybody was cool though. I told the checker and the bagger, "It's hard being two years old" and they commiserated with stories of their kids when they were two. Little Bit mostly calmed down by lunch, though she didn't nap. I took her to Ikea for dinner, she fell asleep in the truck on the way there. Sra. Tanque has a one-off game night with some friends (nothing too nerdy, mostly mainstream board games). Bedtime was fairly easy. We have entered the time-out portion of child raising. We are also being a lot more quick with consequences. This will pay off. I was able to be pretty calm about her acting out, it was all pretty typical two year old stuff so I was able to keep perspective. Little Bit was very sweet in between the few issues she had. 

• Like 14

Current Challenge

Five years ago tomorrow (Posted today as I plan to be too busy to get online much tomorrow :P)

image.png

image.png

@darkfoxx @Raxie @Wild Wolf @Sloth the Enduring @DrFeelgood @EricMN @Sam Ashen I tagged out of order, EricMN is in Purple, and DFG is in Green

Thank you for making our wedding day even more special. Also, as I often do when I post the second photo, please direct your attention to the lady in the black and white dress at the right of the picture. That's my Sister-In-Law (married to Sra. Tanque's brother). One of her four boys is there on the floor messing with something, and her "I'm So Over This" look makes me smile every time I look at it.

• Like 18

Current Challenge