SakuraKitsune's 3rd Challenge | 19/06/22 | Controlling the Beast- Part 2 & Second Wind

Last Challenge Review

9802480.gif

✨Achieved✨

• Buy chalk bag & wrist straps: and these really helped me with my goals!
  • Read a book about a style other than your own: The Swoly Bible: An amusing read that I needed.
  • Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg): And I still feel like I have more in me.
  • Snatch 1/3x your bodyweight (30kg): But not the best form, I'm still learning this one.
  • Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m): Had to use straps though and definitely at max.

🐾Attempted🐾

• Bench press .5x your bodyweight (45kg): Current max is 37kg. I learned about how to bench though!
  • BONUS: Deadlift 1x your bodyweight: Wasn't able to get to the gym due to being unwell.
  • Complete a Wall Walk: Studied how to work up to it NF and managed to put feet up the wall but too scared to walk hands in to wall. I feel I need to lose more weight first for the confidence to hold my weight.

❄️Didn't Work❄️

• Delete all delivery apps on my mobile: This got uninstalled and reinstalled over and over. Fact is, they're way too easy to get again and in actuality, they're useful for even healthy days when I can't be bothered to cook.
  • Work through the Eat, Drink and be Mindful workbook again: Didn't even open it. I don't know why, to be honest. Apparently I just didn't prioritise it. I feel like maybe at this stage it isn't discovering why I have these habits, I know why- I've done a lot of work into the why. 
  • Get an A on your 4 Week Challenge: My food addiction let me down. I did not control the beast at all, I let it ravage across the countryside destroying previously built villages.
  • Like 3

⭐2022 Challenges: Mar-Apr, May-Jun, Jun-Jul, Jul-Sep, Sep-Oct, Oct-Nov, Dec(Mini)

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Lvl1 Warrior Skills- Second Wind: Get Back into Regular Nutrition

its-a-trap-anime.gif

Using the Fighter Class, I'm going to start levelling up! I'm going to add this to my signature for some fun later 😊 I feel like my first month was writing up my character. My second month I got out there starting my quest as a Level 1 fighter, and tried out my Fighting Style: Weightlifting (Great Weapon Fighting). Usually I would be levelling up per month, but my nutrition affected my training severely last month. So this month we're going to use my Level 1 Second Wind skill to get myself back on track for Levelling Up next month!

The Background

Last month did not go well with nutrition. I have piled the weight back on as I binge ate through takeaway after takeaway order. Why? Essentially, it felt good fucking up and it tasted delicious. I have little other reason. And now I am back at 108kg when I had been at 89.9kg a few months ago. Crazy, right? Yeah. -That- kind of binging emotional eating. I feel extremely uncomfortable in my own body right now. My skin is itchy and stretching, my clothes cut in a little and my tummy hangs in a way that feels weird. It's awful and I'm ashamed that I've done this to myself again. 
So, I got help! (Hopefully.) I signed up for a coach! I had a lovely call from Big Red, filled out the questionnaire and I'm now in the queue waiting for probably a week and a half. I really feel like having accountability like this will help.
I also start my quite hard work contract in 3 weeks and counting so I need to get a grip on my routine before this starts or I'll stress out.
So, what now? I have about a week and a half and I want to say I'll use that time wisely to get back on the horse, but my motivation is still wavering. Maybe it's about the slow adaptation back? That seems a little more doable. Baby steps. I'm all about the baby steps. Time to heal so I can get out of this hole.

Ability: Second Wind

You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

I have indeed been getting harmed by my old enemy Crave. My HP are far too low and help is still a little way off. I need to hold on for a few more rounds. Time to use Second Wind. 

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

"Crave's ambush had critically impacted the new kitsune warrior.
Had her archenemy crept up on her out of no where? No. As she lay there nearing defeat, she knew that was a lie to herself. 
She had known a trap would have been laid, it was too obvious, and the new warrior had wandered into it far too easily.
Her first piece of action since she had started training and she had been cut down in one fell swoop.
Even worse, she had failed to climb back out the pit so far. With each attempt she had just sustained more and more injuries.
Crave had barely had to do anything; she had injured herself over and over until she had just sat in the hole for far too long.
'How embarrassing', she thought, staring to the sky far above. 'I better try heal before I attempt anything more.'

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Completed Nutritional Weeks:

Spoiler

The Goals Baby Steps: Pre-Week Plan

Technically this challenge doesn't start until the 19th, but I'm going to use this pre-week to do some baby steps up to starting. This will get me ready for my coach, work starting soon, and stop me feeling so uncomfortable.

✅ Day 1 | Mon 13/06: Control the addiction until 6pm. You can do this, deep breaths. No drinking from now on unless social out. 
✅ Day 2 | Tue 14/06: Only 1 "cheat meal". One. No follow ups, no desserts, no sides. One meal only and the rest healthy.
✅ Day 3 | Wed 15/06: Only 1 ordered meal. A healthy decision, even if large. No burgers, pasta, deep fried, etc. 
✅ Day 4 | Thu 16/06: First full day of healthy food. You better be ready!
✅ Day 5 | Fri 17/06: Follow it up! Don't start thinking about rewards, and 'ifs/when's', just do it.
✅ Day 6 | Sat 18/06: Takes 3 days to really start a new habit. Feel good!

The Goals: Start Foober Plan (Delivered Keto meals)

Week 1 - 1100 cals

✅ Day 1 | Sun 19/06: (Weightlifting Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Peanut Satay Chicken with Cauliflower Fried Rice | Creamy Lemon Dijon Fish with Vegetables
✅ Day 2 | Mon 20/06: (800 Fast Day) Creamy Yoghurt with Mixed Berries | Almond Choc Chip Cookie | Vegan Corn Zucchini Fritters | White Chocolate Coconut Protein Ball |  Blueberry Cheesecake
✅ Day 3 | Tue 21/06: (Weightlifting Day) Big Brekky Frittata | Chicken Aioli Burger with Low Carb Bread | Coconut Butter Chicken topped with Kale and cauliflower rice 
✅ Day 4 | Wed 22/06: (Boxing Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with Low Carb Noodles | Buffalo Chicken Wings with Summer Slaw and Ranch Dipping Sauce | Protein bar
✅ Day 5 | Thu 23/06: (Rest day) Creamy Yoghurt with Mixed Berries | Donut Cakes | Vegan Corn Zucchini Fritters | Peanut Butter and Choc Protein Ball |  Cheesy Broccoli Chicken | New York Cheesecake Slice
✅ Day 6 | Fri 24/06:  (Onboarding Movement Assessment- Strength & Boxing Day)  Cheese and Vegetable Morning Omelette | Keto BBQ Chicken Drummettes with Summer Slaw and Ranch | Thai Fish Cakes | Protein bar
✅ Day 7 | Sat 25/06:  (Rest Day) Creamy Yoghurt with Mixed Berries | Cheesy Broccoli Chicken | Peri Peri Drummettes with Sauerkraut and Lemon Herb Dip | Protein bar

Week 2  - 1200 cals
✅ Day 1 | Sun 26/06: (Weightlifting Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Chicken Aioli Burger with Low Carb Bread | Coconut Butter Chicken topped with Kale and cauliflower rice
✅ Day 2 | Mon 27/06: (Rest Day) Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Coconut Cream | Almond Choc Chip Cookie | Vegan Corn Zucchini Fritters | White Chocolate Coconut Protein Ball | Cheesy Broccoli Chicken | Blueberry Cheesecake
✅ Day 3 | Tue 28/06:  (Weightlifting Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Tangy Chicken Dijon with Cauliflower Rice | Creamy Tomato and Basil Chicken Pasta (Low Carb) | Protein pudding
✅ Day 4 | Wed 29/06: (Boxing Day)  Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Peanut Satay Chicken with Cauliflower Fried Rice | Peri Peri Drummettes with Sauerkraut and Lemon Herb Dip | Protein pudding
✅ Day 5 | Thu 30/06: (Squat Day) Cheese and Vegetable Morning Omelette | Keto BBQ Chicken Drummettes with Summer Slaw and Ranch | Thai Fish Cakes | Protein pudding
✅ Day 6 | Fri 01/07:  (Boxing Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with Low Carb Noodles | Buffalo Chicken Wings with Summer Slaw and Ranch Dipping Sauce | Protein pudding
✅ Day 7 | Sat 02/07:  (Bench Day)  Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Coconut Cream | Vegan Corn Zucchini Fritters | DINNER OUT 

Week 3 - Work Contract Starts Mon-Thu (Mon & Wed in office) 1200 + other snacks to make 1400
✅ Day 1 | Sun 03/07: (30 min cardio walk) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Chicken Aioli Burger with Low Carb Bread | Coconut Butter Chicken topped with Kale and cauliflower rice | Peanut Butter and Choc Protein Ball
✅ Day 2 | Mon 04/07: (Rest Day- Office Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Tangy Chicken Dijon with Cauliflower Rice | Creamy Tomato and Basil Chicken Pasta (Low Carb) | White Chocolate Coconut Protein Ball | Donut Cake
✅ Day 3 | Tue 05/07  (Deadlift Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Peanut Satay Chicken with Cauliflower Fried Rice | Peri Peri Drummettes with Sauerkraut and Lemon Herb Dip | Donut Cakes | Protein bar
✅ Day 4 | Wed 06/07: (Boxing Day- Office Day) Cheese and Vegetable Morning Omelette | Keto BBQ Chicken Drummettes with Summer Slaw and Ranch | Thai Fish Cakes | Blueberry Muffins | Protein bar
✅ Day 5 | Thu 07/07: (Squat Day) Big Brekky Frittata | Saucy Grilled Chicken Quesadilla | Vegan Corn Zucchini Fritters | Choc hazelnut Paleo ball | Protein bar
✅ Day 6 | Fri 08/07:  (Boxing Day- RDO) Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Coconut Cream | Spinach, Feta and Ricotta Lasagna | Sticky Sesame Chicken Wings with Cauli Fried Rice | Berry bliss Paleo balls | Protein bar 
✅ Day 7 | Sat 09/07:  (Rest Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with Low Carb Noodles | Buffalo Chicken Wings with Summer Slaw and Ranch Dipping Sauce | Blueberry Cheesecake | Treat cookie

Week 4 - Work Mon-Thu (Mon & Wed in office) 1300 cal + other snacks to make 1500 (introducing fruit)
✅ Day 1 | Sun 10/07: (Bench Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Chicken Aioli Burger with Low Carb Bread | Coconut Butter Chicken topped with Kale and cauliflower rice | Peanut Butter and Choc Protein Ball | Donut Cakes | treat cookie
✅ Day 2 | Mon 11/07: (Rest Day- Office Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Tangy Chicken Dijon with Cauliflower Rice | Creamy Tomato and Basil Chicken Pasta (Low Carb) | White Chocolate Coconut Protein Ball | Almond Choc Chip Cookie (Keto) | Fruit
✅ Day 3 | Tue 12/07  (Deadlift Day) Cheese and Vegetable Morning Omelette | Keto BBQ Chicken Drummettes with Summer Slaw and Ranch | Thai Fish Cakes | Lemon cashew and chia ball | Blueberry Muffins | Fruit
✅ Day 4 | Wed 13/07: (Boxing Day- Office Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Peanut Satay Chicken with Cauliflower Fried Rice | Peri Peri Drummettes with Sauerkraut and Lemon Herb Dip | Peanut Butter and Choc Protein Ball | Donut Cakes| Fruit
✅ Day 5 | Thu 14/07: (Squat Day)  Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Coconut Cream | Spinach, Feta and Ricotta Lasagna | Sticky Sesame Chicken Wings with Cauli Fried Rice | Berry bliss Paleo balls | Donut Cakes | Fruit
✅ Day 6 | Fri 15/07:  (Boxing Day- RDO) Big Brekky Frittata | Saucy Grilled Chicken Quesadilla | Vegan Corn Zucchini Fritters | Choc hazelnut Paleo ball | Blueberry Muffins | Fruit
✅ Day 7 | Sat 16/07:  (Rest Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with Low Carb Noodles | Buffalo Chicken Wings with Summer Slaw and Ranch Dipping Sauce | White Chocolate Coconut Protein Ball | Blueberry Cheesecake | Fruit

Week 5 - Work Mon-Thu (Mon & Wed in office) 1600 cal (introducing one carb meal per day)
✅ Day 1 | Sun 17/07: (Bench Day) Cheese & Vegetable Omelette | Keto Chicken Aioli Burger | Tender chicken ribs with smoky bbq sauce | Keto NY Cheesecake slice | Fruit | Protein Ball
✅ Day 2 | Mon 18/07: (Rest Day- Office Day) Cheese & Vegetable Omelette  | Tangy Chicken Dijon with Cauliflower Rice | Spaghetti Aglio e Olio | Donut Cakes | Fruit
✅ Day 3 | Tue 19/07  (Deadlift Day) Big Brekky Frittata | Saucy Grilled Chicken Quesadilla | Coconut Butter Chicken topped with Kale and cauliflower rice | Choc hazlenut paleo ball | Fruit | Protein bar
✅ Day 4 | Wed 20/07: (Boxing Day- Office Day) Big Brekky Frittata | Keto BBQ Chicken Drummettes with Summer Slaw and Ranch | Creamy Garlic Chicken with rice | White Chocolate Coconut Protein Ball | Fruit | Protein bar
✅ Day 5 | Thu 21/07: (Squat Day) Coconut Yoghurt and Granola Parfait | Creamy Chicken Mushroom Penne | Peri Peri Drummettes with Sauerkraut and Lemon Herb Dip | Donut Cakes | Fruit | Protein bar
✅ Day 6 | Fri 22/07:  (Boxing Day- RDO) Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Coconut Cream | Spinach, Feta and Ricotta Lasagna | Peanut Satay Chicken with Cauliflower Fried Rice | Keto Blueberry Cheesecake | Fruit | Protein bar
✅ Day 7 | Sat 23/07:  (Rest Day) Big Brekky Frittata | Chicken Mushroom Risotto | Buffalo Chicken Wings with Summer Slaw and Ranch Dipping Sauce | Choc hazlenut paleo ball | Fruit

2. Controlling the Beast: Get Back into Regular Training

happy-thanksgiving-food.gif

The Background

Although I hit a number NF Quest goals last month, I was not training regularly at all. Last month was perhaps more benchmarking. In fact, in memory, I think I only did 1 trip to the gym once I got back from holiday. Not great. Time to get back into a routine.
Might seem weird to have this goal now focusing on exercise instead of nutrition, but I feel like focusing on my training will in turn support my motivation to keep my nutrition going well. 

After working on my nutrition to heal back my HP, looks like I need to do some more training to get myself strong enough to climb out of this hole and get back onto my quest to destroy my archenemy Crave!

The Goals

Once the challenge starts I need to start getting back into working out regularly every week. This includes daily movement of 20 minutes and at least 3x strength workouts per week. I would like to keep going to my 2x boxing classes per week but these are bonuses in reality but are counted as cardio.

Completed Exercise Weeks:

Spoiler

Week 1 W/C 19 June
Daily 20 min Cardio:  
✅ ✅✅✅✅✅✅
3x Strength Training: ✅ ✅✅

Week 2 W/C 26 June
Daily 20 min Cardio:  
✅✅✅✅✅✅✅
3x Strength Training: ✅✅✅

Week 3 W/C 3 July
Daily 20 min Cardio:  
✅✅✅✅✅✅✅

Week 4 W/C 10 July
Daily 20 min Cardio:  
✅✅✅✅✅✅✅ 

Week 5 W/C 17 July
Daily 20 min Cardio:  
✅✅✅✅✅✅⬜

3. Quests
f36fa92ad28b0c4eb9db0a38fdde389607b7e62d
This has become it's own separate section and much bigger because I'm including things I'm working towards now as well. I like Quests because even when I don't feel like being good, I always feel like I can squeeze in an attempt at a quest and at the end of the challenge even if I've messed up that month, the quests help me feel like I'm still accomplishing things.

Rebel Quests

✅ Get an A on your 4 Week Challenge
✅ Complete 3 4 Week Challenges in a row: this is my 3rd in a row!

Warrior Quests

Feels Doable
🔄 Research historic lifters and their style: I bought Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopaedia of Modern Bodybuilding!
✅ Deadlift 1x your bodyweight
✅ Find a coach: Yey! In the process of right now and starting soon!
✅ Film your main sets for one workout
✅ The 50/50 squat challenge
✅ Squat .75x your bodyweight
✅ Work with a coach on a personalized program

Challenging
🔄 Bench press .5x your bodyweight: Currently at 0.4x
⬜ Farmer’s walk with .75x your bodyweight: Currently at 0.5x

Assassin Quests

I promised the next 5 week challenge I would try some Assassin Quests as I would love to be this class but don't feel confident in my dexterity at this weight.

✅ Complete a line of 20 Walking Lunges
✅ Learn to do a Forward Roll
✅
Learn to do a Backward Roll
✅ Learn to do a Cartwheel: I can still do one!
✅
 Complete 50 bodyweight squats in 2 minutes
✅ Complete 5 Assisted Pistol Squats (Each Leg)

Working Towards (too hard but want to or is next step in Quests):

Spoiler

Rebel Quests
⬛ Complete a Wall Walk: Can put legs up but not walk hands into the wall (also an Assassin Quest) - Note: I've decided I'll do the Handstands course for another 5 week challenge now that I have access to it due to my NF coaching.

Academy Quests
⬛ Fitness: Defeat Boss: Fitness: Defeat Boss: Lady MacBench (Gym Level 4): stuck because I can't do pushups or negative chin ups
⬛ Fitness: Pushup: Still a while away from this but going to keep trying!
⬛ Nutrition: NF Diet Level 8: currently on pause
⬛
Fitness: Double Unders: Ahhh it bugs me so much that my brain can't figure this out!

Warrior Quests
⬛ Pick a program and stick with it! (I'll have a better idea about this once I have my coach)
⬛ Snatch 0.5x your bodyweight: Currently maxed at 0.3x 
⬛ Squat Jerk .5x your bodyweight: Not recorded- I don't get the difference from a Snatch)
⬛ Overhead press .5x your bodyweight: Not recorded
⬛
Clean .75x your bodyweight: Not recorded
⬛ Clean and jerk .75x your bodyweight: Not recorded
⬛ Push Jerk .75x your bodyweight: Not recorded
⬛ Split Jerk .75x your bodyweight: Not recorded
⬛ Push Press .75x your bodyweight

Assassin Quests
⬛ Learn to do a One Handed Cartwheel: feels like my body weight is too high still at the moment
⬛ Take a Hip Hop Dance Class: didn't get the time- next challenge

• Like 3

⭐2022 Challenges: Mar-Apr, May-Jun, Jun-Jul, Jul-Sep, Sep-Oct, Oct-Nov, Dec(Mini)

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

18 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:
  • Squat .5x your bodyweight (45kg): And I still feel like I have more in me.
  • Snatch 1/3x your bodyweight (30kg): But not the best form, I'm still learning this one.
  • Farmer's walk with .5x your bodyweight (45kg for 25m): Had to use straps though and definitely at max.
  • Bench press .5x your bodyweight (45kg): Current max is 37kg. I learned about how to bench though!

Oh hey, these look fantastic! Really well done. 🤘

15 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

Last month did not go well with nutrition. I have piled the weight back on as I binge ate through takeaway after takeaway order. Why? Essentially, it felt good fucking up and it tasted delicious.

I understand this so hard. I can have no peace around takeaway and other hyperpalatable foods. There is no satisfaction, only craving, resisting and giving in. Alas. I wish you the best of luck getting back where you want to be.

15 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

This has become it's own separate section and much bigger because I'm including things I'm working towards now as well. I like Quests because even when I don't feel like being good, I always feel like I can squeeze in an attempt at a quest and at the end of the challenge even if I've messed up that month, the quests help me feel like I'm still accomplishing things.

This is a lot of items 😅

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

11 hours ago, Rookie said:

Why is it so easy to get stuck in the takeout cycle. I am right there with you. 

I am liking your quest format! :)

Especially thanks to covid, I’m so used to ordering food! I also live with someone who tends to tell themselves, and myself by proxy, that he deserves it a lot- which gets difficult. I wouldn’t swap him for the world but sometimes I wonder if living with a health freak would be easier 🤣

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

I understand this so hard. I can have no peace around takeaway and other hyperpalatable foods. There is no satisfaction, only craving, resisting and giving in. Alas. I wish you the best of luck getting back where you want to be.

This is a lot of items 😅

Yeah, the cravings are hard. It’s so disappointing to lose to lack of willpower when you’re so sure the opposite is what you want. But we’ll get there. I gotta get all warrior at it rawr >:0

Yeah… probably too many items 😅🤣 But I got to an odd stage of trying to track on going things. Maybe I’ll delete some later.

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

On 6/13/2022 at 10:25 PM, SakuraKitsune said:

Especially thanks to covid, I’m so used to ordering food! I also live with someone who tends to tell themselves, and myself by proxy, that he deserves it a lot- which gets difficult. I wouldn’t swap him for the world but sometimes I wonder if living with a health freak would be easier 🤣

Oh, this part absolutely would be. But living with a health freak would bring its own, different, set of issues instead, so nothing is ever perfect.

Do you have "lesser evil" takeout options  available to you? If the person you live with is willing to branch out, you might be able to find food delivery options that work out for both of you?

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Oh, this part absolutely would be. But living with a health freak would bring its own, different, set of issues instead, so nothing is ever perfect.

Do you have "lesser evil" takeout options  available to you? If the person you live with is willing to branch out, you might be able to find food delivery options that work out for both of you?

True, true, grass is always greener.
Yeah- I try to get things like sashimi, but there really isn't too many options. Even the "healthy" options are questionable.

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Welp, anxiety is both a bitch and a blessing it turns out.
I've been in a panic attack for my third day because of something that shocked me (some unfortunate heartbreak, but it will be okay and we'll work through it). On top of everything else apparently it was a little too much and my fight or flight got set off hardcore (except for me it's always flight. The irony when trying to be a warrior). I'm fine and I'm very well supported. It's just something that I know takes time to go away. But I keep mentally talking myself through everything and telling myself I'm safe and everything is okay 😊
It's an odd blessing because I've been sleeping a lot. The first day I somehow many 22 hours in bed, not able to face anything. That's crazy. Last night I did 12 hours asleep- again, crazy for me. 
The other thing has been the nausea, I've been on juices and protein bars. I'm about to try a quinoa frittata slowly and already I'm not looking forward to it, but I know I can't get into a cycle where starting myself eating again is too hard. But considering I had been depressed about not only going back over 90kg but back over 100kg up to 108, it wasn't too surprising to see 103 on the scales this morning when I've been struggling to eat. Not the best way, never the best way, but at least it's created a fresh start with my food addictions and I'm trying to see the positives in the situation so I feel better about the future.

I haven't heard about my new NF coach yet, but that's probably a good thing while I go through this. I'm not even sure if I can exercise with this at the moment, my stomach is awful with nerves. I'm going to try something little tomorrow at home- I'll be near the bathroom and rest if I need it, and I hope I can transfer a little bit of this nervous energy into workout energy. We'll see how I go.
I'm also really glad my new work contract doesn't start for 2 weeks so I can relax and get through this first.

So yeah, I guess my goals are going well.....??? O.o 
989.gif

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

5 minutes ago, SakuraKitsune said:

Welp, anxiety is both a bitch and a blessing it turns out.

That's why I reframed mine as pyromancy. ;) 

And metaphor aside, anxiety is a bitch, and you have all my sympathies for the anxiety stomach! When mine hits me in that area, ginger seems to really help, as does bland crackers or bread.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That's why I reframed mine as pyromancy. ;) 

And metaphor aside, anxiety is a bitch, and you have all my sympathies for the anxiety stomach! When mine hits me in that area, ginger seems to really help, as does bland crackers or bread.

Ginger is a good idea, maybe I'll have some calming ginger tea 😊

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 1, Week 1

Started this challenge a different way than I expected: trying to get well. I thought I was going to be trying to get off my food addictions, and here was me instead with anxious nausea trying to convince myself to eat. It's a funny world. But as I said before, my recent extreme anxiety has been both a bitch and blessing: I have successfully restarted my food, sleeping and hydration (incl. caffeine-free) habits, and I'll welcome that as a positive.  

I didn't think I'd be able to convince myself to exercise today, but in a moment of nerves I decided to quickly put that energy to better use and asked my partner to come for a walk with me. I told myself "just to the end of the road and back" but kept going. Once we got back, I felt more perked, so did some arms/chest workouts too- just light work:
4x10 17kg Bench Press 

4x25 Assisted Push-ups
4x10 5.3kgx2 Dumbbell Bench
4x10 4.5kgx2 Dumbbell Overhead Press
4x10 2.5kgx2 Shoulder Side Raises

By the end of the day it felt like my slow baby steps were paying off. I still have moments of anxiety when I think about my issues but it's not constant anxiety now, I didn't feel nauseous with my last meal, a bit less cold/shaky and I feel a bit more energised. 

I hear who might coach might be assigned to me today and responded yes, but I was honest about my state at the moment so understood if they wanted me to take a few days to recover. I guess we'll see. Now that I managed some exercise today and a full normal day of eating I feel like starting from scratch having this with a coach isn't a terrible idea.

I think that's a pretty good first day all things considered! Back to puzzles and happy lo-fi until bedtime.
animesher.com_sun-peaceful-leaf-165097.g

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

12 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

I think that's a pretty good first day all things considered! Back to puzzles and happy lo-fi until bedtime.

It is a fantastic first day, especially considering the high anxiety! 

What kinds of puzzles do you do? I've discovered that nonograms are a great focal point for my nervous energy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

My words feel inadequate, but I'm sorry you've had such a rough go of it lately . I'm glad you're here - and consistent, slow baby steps are ALWAYS better than inconsistent leaps and bounds.

Aw, that's really sweet of you, thank you 🥺 I'm glad I'm here too. I want to focus on this journey even more so to help myself recover and feel good about everything. 

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It is a fantastic first day, especially considering the high anxiety! 

What kinds of puzzles do you do? I've discovered that nonograms are a great focal point for my nervous energy. 

Thank you 😊 Someone told me about a game called Paint it Back I've been playing on PC (Steam). It's like sudoku paint by numbers. Last time I had an anxiety attack I got obsessed with a game called Unpacking. And before that a japanese animated pixelart puzzle game called Daylife in Japan. All recommended for those who need chill mindless games.

• That's Metal 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 2, Week1

Continued with my baby steps today. Slowly ate all my food- nausea seems a little better although food still seems effort. Got my 20 minutes of cardio in with a walk listening to chill upbeat music. Even did a quest:

✅ Complete 50 bodyweight squats in 2 minutes
Turned out to be very doable. I calculated it was 2.4 seconds per squat so I found a song I knew had one beat per second and did my ups and downs to that- did it well under the 2 minute mark. Felt good to tick something off when feeling like this. Used a classic for timing: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjI67KBbRg 

Even though I still had some anxiety, I still did things today- looked after Mum this morning for 4 hours, managed to vc with a few online friends briefly, spent quality time with my partner, watched some anime. I'm doing better every day 😊
LastingNegativeLeech-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 3, Week1

Better and better as each day passes with all my baby steps. I felt capable of working out today and pushing myself a little despite my fear of anxiety stomach causing issues. Actually, maybe I accidentally went overboard with leg day while I was lost in my thoughts about everything. I already can't walk 😅
That's another thing, I never used to separate into different days- but one of my online gym bros passed on their workout list and it's essentially just days split into Push, Pull and 'Pain' (Legs and Abs) days with a list of exercises under each to choose 4 or so from. I've been enjoying it, makes me feel like a gym bro 😂😊 But it's also making me really think about what exercise works out what muscle and how to combine exercises to get a whole workout and I really love that I'm thinking on that level.
Other little baby steps, although lunch was quite late at 7pm 😅 I tucked into it quite happily without even thinking about nausea. Finally!
I slept a lot today still, but I didn't feel any pangs of panic, just kind of general low anxiety- still better. Even noticing I'm not reaching for my microwavable bear as much needed the comfort of heat. I really do think I'm getting there slowly! And I still think this oddly was all a bit of a blessing to get me back on track, so despite my hard moments feeling overwhelming sadness or anxiety, I'm still smiling about it all. 

Wall sit 4mins, 2mins, 1min

Good mornings 17kg 4x12 

Romanian deadlifts 27kg 4x12 

Walking lunges 4x20 

Weighted lying side leg lifts 2.5kg 4x20 

Calf raises 6kg 4x15

Oh and I got another quest marked off which I was doing my workout!
✅ Complete a line of 20 Walking Lunges

OH oh! I'm supposed to start my coaching tomorrow! (Tuesday for them in the US, but Wednesday tomorrow for me in Australia.)

s7AsfuwC-rKICanU6ozihEVh61wuEOhOiJB0iTGL

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

On 6/18/2022 at 8:24 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

I've been in a panic attack for my third day because of something that shocked me (some unfortunate heartbreak, but it will be okay and we'll work through it). On top of everything else apparently it was a little too much and my fight or flight got set off harcore (except for me it's always flight. The irony when trying to be a warrior). I'm fine and I'm very well supported. It's just something that I know takes time to go away. But I keep mentally talking myself through everything and telling myself I'm safe and everything is okay 😊

So sorry to hear about the anxiety and whatever event has upset you. Anxiety is indeed a most odious companion.

8 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

That's another thing, I never used to separate into different days- but one of my online gym bros passed on their workout list and it's essentially just days split into Push, Pull and 'Pain' (Legs and Abs) days with a list of exercises under each to choose 4 or so from. I've been enjoying it, makes me feel like a gym bro 😂😊 But it's also making me really think about what exercise works out what muscle and how to combine exercises to get a whole workout and I really love that I'm thinking on that level.

I love nerding out over programming, even though I'm rarely able to do as much lifting as I want. A great resource is juggernaut training systems--lots of the information online is really bad, but JTS has the knowledge and will give you the right advice on programming. Also good videos on technique.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

So sorry to hear about the anxiety and whatever event has upset you. Anxiety is indeed a most odious companion.

I love nerding out over programming, even though I'm rarely able to do as much lifting as I want. A great resource is juggernaut training systems--lots of the information online is really bad, but JTS has the knowledge and will give you the right advice on programming. Also good videos on technique.

Thank you 😊 I'll be okay, I always am. It was interesting re-read what you quoted from me because the phrasing made me realise how hard I was having it that day and how far I've come. Considering I had an anxious day today, it was a nice reminder that at least I wasn't back there again.

JTS was recommend to me last challenge by @Alannafor a benching series- I loved it, it helped me so much! I've even passed it on to others to help them now! I need to check out more. It's okay, I don't lift as much as I want either, but at least we lift! 😀

• Like 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 4, Week 1

Still doing well! I had an anxious day and woke up after 10 hours sleep feeling nauseous again 😅 but the sun was shining and decided today was the day I went back to the gym for a boxing class, even with my fear of having an anxious tummy during it! And it was fine! The trainer was so welcoming and happy I was back and I punched my little heart out. It felt good and I'm happy I'm back.
It was also my first day of NF Coaching! My coach sent a video with was lovely and made me smile all the way through it. I got a little too enthusiastic taking all my photos and measurements and logging things before I need to, but I was just so excited to feel like I was working on myself and that soon someone can support me with all this! (Although you guys are amazing at supporting each other too!)
Nutrition is still going well to. I'm still using an ordering service, but their ingredients are clean and it feels good to be eating well.  My tummy still isn't amazing from anxiety so started taking fibre tablets and probiotics too to try help. Might start my multivitamin tomorrow again too.
I even completed a quest today:

Okay, so it wasn't the best one. I wasn't even sure if I could still do them and I was still sore from leg day the other day. I thought I'd try from standing, I knew I could do it on a bed or something. Definitely knew I could still do rolls while swimming. Oh man, the tummy in the way didn't help getting into the right position and it was a bit of a bump on my head on the way into it despite my best attempts 😂 But I did it, so I'm taking it >:0 
1ZXu.gif

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 5, Week 1

My coach chatted to me about non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) being reduced when on lower calorie diets today. As I lay in bed watching his video feeling exhausted, I started to wonder how much of it was from anxiety and how much was from a long time on deficit calories or binging on nutrition-less food. It's start hard to ignore all of Michael Mosely's research, but it probably wasn't a plan for people wanting to be weightlifters either. I'm probably also due for a blood test to check for other deficiencies, admittedly. So I'm not longer doing 800-fast days and working to raise everything to the 11/1200 calorie level at the moment. I don't know what calorie level he's going to end up calculating for me, but it's a start on my new nutrition path and I'm very curious as to what will happen. I liked the idea that if my calorie's increased my naturally my energy would to compensate anyway- more energy would be nice. I like to imagine myself as a high energy person.
I only did my walk today. Tomorrow is my Onboarding Movement Assessment and boxing class. I'm recording my form for my coach for the assessment. I can't help but wonder how terrible my form will end up being- I know for a fact I suck at lunges 😂 but I'm excited to be given pointers. But I did also do another quest today:

✅ Learn to do a Backwards Roll
I didn't do it from standing. I didn't feel like I had the room for one, but after yesterday I did feeling like anything crazy either on essentially a concrete floor. Turns out I find backwards rolls way easier. That's good news, I like that.

🔄 Research historic lifters and their style: Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopaedia of Modern Bodybuilding!

I also started work on this quest last night. Man, this is a thick ass book- this is going to take more than 5 weeks probably, but it's the kind of thing I'll probably be referring back to for the rest of my life. I just read the forward last night and today about half of the introduction- which has been a fascinating read through history with so many wonderful photos. I definitely don't want to be on that level of muscle 😳 but it's all very inspirational for the motivation.
4nvYmHlkpEUYqw-qJ2ijvAPKf_whA_23Ebbr7yPU 

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 6, Week 1

Anxiety was almost non-existent today except for a brief moment when I remembered some things. I'm doing well. Better and better every day 😊 My anxiety stomach still isn't great, but hopefully I'll see some improvement tomorrow with the fibre I've been taking and healthy eating. My sleeping is still kinda crazy but I fell asleep faster last night in 25mins, that's a good start. But I had 9 hours sleep and still snoozed for another hour. I still can't get over how much I'm sleeping as the person who never used to sleep enough. Considering I used to have b12 injections and low iron I've decided to book a doctor's appointment for tomorrow to go get a blood test, I guess maybe this stress episode could have taken the last of my reserves. Better to be checked before I go back to work that I'm all good anyway.

Nutrition was still good today, I'm enjoying my ordered meals from a delivered keto plan at the moment, it helped me through this period a lot.
tumblr_m22gasH2k11qzqnxxo1_500.gif

Exercise has left me aching. A walk with my partner, then I did a 40 minute boxing class which was so much fun but my trainer murdered me- my hands were shaking so much after 😂, and then I did my onboarding fitness assessment for my NF Coach which involved filming squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, and wall arm raises. I made the mistake of doing the planks after my boxing class and I literally couldn't do my left side one at all- had to wait until home later to do a terrible one. Ah well, better to be seen at your worst, I suppose. I did notice that my lunges are waaaaay lower than I thought they were! It always felt like my knee was too high but it was okay. Meanwhile, I don't think my squats are quite low enough and maybe a bit too forward. I guess we'll see with the feedback. All very interesting. Which meeeeeans:
✅ Film your main sets for one workout

Asked my partner if he wants to come with me to the park tomorrow to see if I can still do cartwheels and do that goal! He said he would! It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow so should be fun. I hope my boxing arms don't weaken with DOMs!

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

On 6/23/2022 at 9:47 AM, SakuraKitsune said:

It's start hard to ignore all of Michael Mosely's research, but it probably wasn't a plan for people wanting to be weightlifters either.

I've seen Mosely's documentary on fasting. I presume he's still in that area. (He seemed to land hard on the alternate day fasting wagon, although that's just one of many similar ways to do intermittent fasting.) The thing in that doc is that it presents (and I believe studies bear out) intermittent fasting as being as good or better than the old studies on calorie restriction - and the thing about intermittent fasting is that it's not necessarily calorie restricted at all. So if you're doing a 20/4 or an OMAD or an alternate day fasting, you don't actually need to net fewer calories, just shift when you consume them, so you have long stretches of not actively digesting food. (For a lot of people, the timing change alone causes weight loss.)

So I think there are a lot of ways to do Mosely's kinda deal without 800 calorie days or underfeeding your training. There's a lot out there on intermittent fasting patterns.

Given your current activity level and weight, toss out any trainer who recommends less than 1800-2000 calories a day, IMO. 1200 is less than what they ate in the Minnesota Starvation experiments. No TDEE calculator will give that number for anyone but 70‐year-old women who are 5 feet tall or less, and sedentary. It comes from the same place as all those six foot models who tell magazines that they never weigh more than 110 pounds - it's aspirational fiction that's fueled an unrealistic and harmful set of dieting myths. (I mean, educated opinions do vary, but mine is that women have been trained to undereat from adolescence in ways that damage their metabolisms a lot, and they'd be healthier, stronger, control their weight more easily, and possibly have lower rates of mental health issues, if they stopped undereating and started eating like properly fueled athletes.)

• Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I've seen Mosely's documentary on fasting. I presume he's still in that area. (He seemed to land hard on the alternate day fasting wagon, although that's just one of many similar ways to do intermittent fasting.) The thing in that doc is that it presents (and I believe studies bear out) intermittent fasting as being as good or better than the old studies on calorie restriction - and the thing about intermittent fasting is that it's not necessarily calorie restricted at all. So if you're doing a 20/4 or an OMAD or an alternate day fasting, you don't actually need to net fewer calories, just shift when you consume them, so you have long stretches of not actively digesting food. (For a lot of people, the timing change alone causes weight loss.)

So I think there are a lot of ways to do Mosely's kinda deal without 800 calorie days or underfeeding your training. There's a lot out there on intermittent fasting patterns.

Given your current activity level and weight, toss out any trainer who recommends less than 1800-2000 calories a day, IMO. 1200 is less than what they ate in the Minnesota Starvation experiments. No TDEE calculator will give that number for anyone but 70‐year-old women who are 5 feet tall or less, and sedentary. It comes from the same place as all those six foot models who tell magazines that they never weigh more than 110 pounds - it's aspirational fiction that's fueled an unrealistic and harmful set of dieting myths. (I mean, educated opinions do vary, but mine is that women have been trained to undereat from adolescence in ways that damage their metabolisms a lot, and they'd be healthier, stronger, control their weight more easily, and possibly have lower rates of mental health issues, if they stopped undereating and started eating like properly fueled athletes.)

Funnily enough I ended up helping work with the documentaries to some capacity through the work I do. But the documentaries tend to come before his research has properly finished, in my opinion- like they're following the journey of him discovering and then he goes away and does the actual research and writes the books. He's come a long way since the fast 500 alternate days. He's now on 800 Keto which is an every day thing to slam off weight back into the healthy range before using intermittent fasting. So yeah, as of the last published book (last year?) he's changed his tune a lot since the earlier days. 

But yeah, my NF coach is definitely slowly rising my calories back up and I'm learning to more think about putting exercise first and my nutrition supports those needs, than the other way around and not have the energy I need to do more. It's been a long time since I have thought like that. That's more my issue. As much as the recent studies Moseley did make sense to me, I want to be way more active than that and do weightlifting building muscle. It's just not going to work. I want to be stronger and that means fuelling myself more. 

It's a slow learning process as I rewire my brain from growing up with that diet mentality 😊

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Day 7, Week 1

I obviously have my appetite back now. I eat no problems and even was hungry for a bit more by the end of today. Nice to have a symptom gone. My anxiety is pretty much gone, I just get a little sad or worried now- still better about anxiety. It really is just time for my brain to adjust to a change now and build new habits. 
Saw the doctor today- getting my full bloods done, results on Wednesday. (Also being sent to a specialist since two of my immediate family have had cancer now- one passed, one currently being looked after.) I was anxious about this, but it feels good to be moving on the issue and the doctor was lovely about it.

Wanted to go to the gym today for a weightlifting sessions and maybe do the 50/50 squat challenge quest, but I was an idiot and didn't realise the weekend closing times. It was way closed by the time I dragged my ass there. Oh well. Still got a quest ticked off today:

✅ Learn to do a Cartwheel
Exercise today was a walk around a park while trying to cartwheel, as planned! It was great fun when I realised I could still cartwheel. Maybe not quite upright, but I feel my weight had something to answer for there. Still a good laugh and way better than I thought I would be. Didn't even try the one-handed cartwheel, I quickly realised I needed to lose more weight first to make it easier. 
tumblr_n83shmjs0g1s5f9ado1_500.gif

• That's Metal 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Week 1 Summary

✨Achieved
1. My biggest achievement has been my progress with getting a hold of my anxiety. I'm very proud of that.
2. I stuck to my nutrition plans! Small changes are happening with coach, but no delivery, no alcohol, and no caffeine!
3. Did my cardio every day and my 3x strength training sessions this week! I wish I could have gotten in a weightlifting session today, but I count my onboarding test as a strength session- even if it was a short one.
4. So many quests completed this week despite everything going on:
✅ Find a coach
✅ Film your main sets for one workout
✅ Learn to do a Backward Roll
✅ Complete a line of 20 Walking Lunges
✅ Complete 50 bodyweight squats in 2 minutes
✅ Learn to do a Cartwheel: I can still do one!
5. Proud of myself for going to doctors to get checked and starting that process.

💭Plan for Next Week

A lot of things for next are 'keep going'. Keep going with food plans, exercise plans, working with my coach, attempting quests, following up with the doctor, etc. but I am also aware that next week is my last week of freedom before starting a 7 month contract. I suspect with this there will be a few challenges I need to meet:
1. Move my bedtime to earlier slowly while still getting plenty of rest.
2. Probably will end up going out to lunch or dinner with my future manager: work with my coach to tackle food and drink for this.
3. Get clothes and bag ready for Monday in the office. 
4. A few little tasks I've been putting off I need to take care of like rescheduling appointments around work. 
5. But myself mentally prepared and positive about work: this one is actually super important and it probably involves some relaxing quiet time to myself to think over things ready.

924f65b64b63415318b4d439c57c02be.gif

• Like 1

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★