Stronkey Kong... runs?

Hello. I'm back. I'm still like 280 lbs.

All this year I've been toeing around, trying to get back to some cardio. I talked about it with my Punch Out! challenge. I even bought new running shoes back in January. I still haven't run.

I remember gym class, in 7th grade, we had to do a 1 mile run. We went out to the football/track field on a hot muggy day in August. The track was this awful, ugly black gravel (that I'd be picking out of my shoes the rest of the day). I was fat, and had never tried to run a mile before. At this point, it had even been a couple years since I played football with the neighborhood kids regularly. I remember the gym teacher blew the whistle, and I started out at a good pace keeping up with everyone... that lasted about 10-20 sec. By the time we reached the first turn, I was falling behind, and before I finished that turn I was walking, breathing hard, sweating, and feeling awful in the muggy August heat. I paced 14 min, and I'm pretty sure I was the last person to finish that day.

Every time I think about running, I think of that day, if only for a nanosecond. I think I need to get over it.

The other time I did get over it, I gradually built up a tolerance for running one summer in grad school. The next year, I would go on a 4+ mile run 2x a week (most weeks).

Now when I try to run, I feel like anything less than that is failure. I need to get over that too.

(my one and only) Goal: Run... or walk as my program dictates... get get to level 5.

Specifically, I am using the JogGo app. It is a graded running program with assessments every two weeks to see if you're ready to move up. Level 5 is the 'Beginner' running level. At the moment, I'm at level 3, 'Walker'. It has me doing workouts 4 days/week, with a mix of fast walking and lower body strength training (BW squats, lunges, etc.) The next week looks like:

M: Fast walking (short distance) and strength intervals

T: Recovery

W: Fast walking (long distance)

R: Recovery

F: Strength intervals

S: Fast walking assessment

S: Recovery

It's easy at the moment, I just need to stick to the schedule. I'd be surprised if I didn't level up my assessment on Saturday this week. Then I'll have four weeks and two chances to get through level during the challenge.

That's it. My one and only goal.

I'm not focusing on diet/nutrition this challenge. I'm still trying to eat mostly plant based, but mostly I play it by ear. I usually go for tofu and beans etc. first, but I'll eat meat, fish, eggs, dairy, etc. if it's available and the plant foods really don't appeal to me at that moment.

I'm also still gardening and working on home repair, playing music, and all the usual stuff.

My tomatoes are flowering so expect photos of big, juicy heirloom tomaotes soon!

• Like 9

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Dude, I remember hating the mile run as a kid. Absolutely grueling. I'm proud of you for working past it to try and embrace a mode of exercise you might really like.

Also sticking around for juicy tomato pics 👀

• Like 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

TOMATOES!!!!

This app sounds good. your plan sounds good. This is a good challenge. You got this! 

11 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

I'm not focusing on diet/nutrition this challenge. I'm still trying to eat mostly plant based, but mostly I play it by ear. I usually go for tofu and beans etc. first, but I'll eat meat, fish, eggs, dairy, etc. if it's available and the plant foods really don't appeal to me at that moment.

I really read this as "bear" and "bears" so when you were talking about meat, fish, eggs, dairy, etc, I was like "BEAR"  And even after I read it properly, it still makes me think of bears. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following for support and tomato pics.

I saw three, green, golf ball sized tomatoes on the vine when I went out for my "run" today... Soon.

2 hours ago, Conquius said:

Dude, I remember hating the mile run as a kid. Absolutely grueling. I'm proud of you for working past it to try and embrace a mode of exercise you might really like.

Also sticking around for juicy tomato pics 👀

Today I walked 1.12 miles in 15 minutes. I think doing the math, that's a little better pace than I did as a 7th grader.

Soon.

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

TOMATOES!!!!

This app sounds good. your plan sounds good. This is a good challenge. You got this! 

I really read this as "bear" and "bears" so when you were talking about meat, fish, eggs, dairy, etc, I was like "BEAR"  And even after I read it properly, it still makes me think of bears. 

SOON!

App is okay. I forgot to unmute the audio cues and walked a little longer today. I also have to keep an eye on it because it goes from one section to another without any pause and I'm not going to do jumping jacks and shit in the middle of the street or just wherever.

=================================

So yup. I did the run workout for today.

15 min fast walking

"Strength" intervals: jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, and diagonal forward bends (I think you can picture that)

15 min cool down walking

Stretching: hams, quads, etc.

It started to storm at the end of my fast walk, so everything else was done inside. I basically just didn't sit down for 15 min and kept moving as much as possible.

• Like 4

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Minor epiphany:

I hate running. 

But I only want to get as far as running 5k 2 or three times a week. 

If I do that well enough, it should only take 60-90 min each week. 

I can sacrifice 60-90 minutes a week,  doing something I loathe,  if it means a healthier heart, leaner body, and feeling better overall the rest of the week. 

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

According to my runner friends, running is for sure something that people hate to do at first, but eventually come to love. I never stuck with running long enough for that to happen to me, but maybe it'll happen for you!

If it doesn't,

20 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You could figure out if some other cardio is less loathsome to you.

And you could come join the bicycle gang B)

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

14 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Minor epiphany:

I hate running. 

But I only want to get as far as running 5k 2 or three times a week. 

If I do that well enough, it should only take 60-90 min each week. 

I can sacrifice 60-90 minutes a week,  doing something I loathe,  if it means a healthier heart, leaner body, and feeling better overall the rest of the week. 

So I don't necessarily like running. It'll never by my favorite thing, but I've realized that running makes things I like to do easier. So getting better at running leads me to have more enjoyment at things I like to do. It's not the best motivation, depending on how well it factors into what you like to do. 

Also, do you hate it because you aren't good at it? Or for other reasons? If it's for the second, I 100% support the people above to who say alternative cardio (you my friend, look like a EMOM Kettlebell swing type of guy to me). 

• Like 1

Today is a recovery day :)

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Oorrrrrrrrrrr

You could figure out if some other cardio is less loathsome to you. You just won't stick with something you hate, and you'll burn willpower that could go to your other goals 

They're all loathsome. Though I probably could dial back my use of the words hate and loathe. The burning willpower thing is a good point, but... umm... what other goals?

This is the reason for only one goal. ;)

6 hours ago, Conquius said:

According to my runner friends, running is for sure something that people hate to do at first, but eventually come to love. I never stuck with running long enough for that to happen to me, but maybe it'll happen for you!

If it doesn't,

And you could come join the bicycle gang B)

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

I was in the bicycle gang, before the last time I was into running. Being a bicycle commuter helped me get over my hatred and doubts of cardio. But, I think running is the least efficient means of movement, hence more calories burned. Plus, I have to think about developing motor patterns that are useful and functional... and pedals (and elliptical machines) develop weird muscles and motor habits. Also, I still have my stationary bike inside too, and I've used that work on cardio, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

So much like the human and two robots sitting in the theatre seats in that gif, I'm going to laugh and make wisecracks about the bicycle gang. 😜

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

So I don't necessarily like running. It'll never by my favorite thing, but I've realized that running makes things I like to do easier. So getting better at running leads me to have more enjoyment at things I like to do. It's not the best motivation, depending on how well it factors into what you like to do. 

Also, do you hate it because you aren't good at it? Or for other reasons? If it's for the second, I 100% support the people above to who say alternative cardio (you my friend, look like a EMOM Kettlebell swing type of guy to me). 

I think that's the thing.* I want the benefits of running, even though I don't like the activity itself much. I definitely feel heavy all the time and want to feel lighter on my feet etc... and have better cardiovascular capacity for work.

Here's the other thing. I'm finding that I DO NOT LIKE HIGH INTENSITY. I've been trying all sorts of HIIT work for years trying to avoid running for cardio, and I don't stick with that either. Now I know, HIIT is supposed to give you the cardio benefits without the huge time investment. But for me, at my weight all running is a HIIT workout. So I might as well run.

But I think this program will be useful, because it will manage and optimize the amount of time I spend doing HIIT cardio vs. steady state endurance cardio while my feet are hitting the pavement.

* Could this sentence be any more amorphous? 'I think' is not an assertion of any kind. 'That' is an neuter pronoun, and 'thing' is just one of the major classes of noun. Useless sentence.

=============================

I think it all boils down to...

I feel that being able to run 5k is valuable fitness benchmark, I want to work on that right now, and it's worth the less enjoyable aspects.

• Like 6

--Stronkey Kong--

I'm worried that you keep pursuing intense fitness/diet plans that make you unhappy and suffer and that you're too deep in the "put your head down and get through it" mode until you're burned out. It is 95 degrees outside! THAT'S TOO HOT, STRONK. No one is going to enjoy that! I know you're not a quitter, but holy hell, don't run yourself into the ground. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't have to choose the most punishing road to reach the finish line!!

All puns are intentional. *hugs* you are awesome and I'm so glad to know you. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Thanks for listening. 💜

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm worried that you keep pursuing intense fitness/diet plans that make you unhappy and suffer and that you're too deep in the "put your head down and get through it" mode until you're burned out. It is 95 degrees outside! THAT'S TOO HOT, STRONK. No one is going to enjoy that! I know you're not a quitter, but holy hell, don't run yourself into the ground. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't have to choose the most punishing road to reach the finish line!!

All puns are intentional. *hugs* you are awesome and I'm so glad to know you. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Thanks for listening. 💜

Okay. Here's the 'running' workout I just did in the 93 degree heat.

Warmup: Drank a pint of water then a cup of coffee while sitting on the couch. Then I put on my running shoes/clothes and did some warmup stretches.

Workout: 15 min of fast walking (at 3:00 pm on a 93 deg F day, full sun). I covered 1.25 mi. in that 15 min. (That's +0.13 mi. from Monday). Today I went down the bike trail and walked past a small horse farm and the 'power line prairie'.

Cooldown: I walked at a slightly slower pace all the way back to my apartment. All in total I walked 2.5 miles. I then went inside and did some cooldown stretches in the AC while I drank another pint of water and a plant based protein shake.

THIS WAS TOTALLY FINE AND DO-ABLE!!! :P

The JogGo app has me easing into this. I'm still walking, I won't start running until I level up two more times. That's probably not until the end of this challenge, maybe later. I'm not going hard, I'm just a little out of my comfort zone, slight increase in heart rate, and sweating. I'm good.

Friday I have a short, just 15 min of strength stuff like BW squats, then Saturday is my (25 min) assessment walk.

If I were in head down, power through mode, I'd have probably attempted to just do a 5k over and over until I burned out.

I feel good. I'll be a little tired and sore, but I feel good.

• Like 8

--Stronkey Kong--

Today is recovery day!

I spent an hour texting with a local solar installation company about getting solar panels for my roof... entirely providing information that I already provided in the online form I submitted to get them in touch with me in the first place. We live in the age of data. No doubt, in the next 30 days, I'm going to buy an extra gadget or nutritional supplement I don't need because Google, YouTube, and Amazon are spamming me with ad content based on data from my online activity. But a company that I intentionally provided answers to basic questions directly has to re-hash a mere half-dozen basic questions I had already answered for them.

What are we doing? Eh?

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

On 6/15/2022 at 2:57 PM, Stronkey Kong said:

Okay. Here's the 'running' workout I just did in the 93 degree heat.

Yuck for outdoor cardio in 90+ weather. 

And extra bonus points to you for doing it anyway!

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

On 6/16/2022 at 4:26 PM, Teros said:

Awesome on the JogGo and also looking forward to tomato pics.  I got some little yellow tomatoes to plant and also hungarian hot wax peppers.

Thanks. I might snap some tomorrow, still green though. I've also got broccoli, cauliflower, serranos, jalapenos, bell peppers, and pickle plants.

4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yuck for outdoor cardio in 90+ weather. 

And extra bonus points to you for doing it anyway!

Dude. Again. Walking. Not that big a deal. 😛

====

Today was just a quick BW strength session. High-ish rep sets of squats, lunges, frog jumps and the like. I did it indoors. It was quick (like 15 min at most including warmup) but my legs are sore. 😕

Tomorrow, is my assessment walk and we'll see if I level up or not.

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

9 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Dude. Again. Walking. Not that big a deal. 😛

In my world, even going outside when it's 93 F, earns bonus points... because yuck.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

On 6/14/2022 at 3:48 PM, Stronkey Kong said:

I think that's the thing.* I want the benefits of running, even though I don't like the activity itself much. I definitely feel heavy all the time and want to feel lighter on my feet etc... and have better cardiovascular capacity for work.

The thing with cardio is that not all cardio feels the same, even when it's all hard and stupid and we hates it. I used to be a runner; it never gave me a single endorphin or good feeling afterwards. (Now I value my knees too much, and stick to lower impact cardio.) But rowing does feel good, even though it's miserably hard and mostly the same leg muscles in use. So there are options up and down the misery scale that'll still give nice misery bragging rights without the bad kind of misery. Like, it might at least be the good hurt. :D

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

In my world, even going outside when it's 93 F, earns bonus points... because yuck.

Fair enough. Today at least was just about perfect. It was 80 F tops, clear sky, nice breeze.

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

The thing with cardio is that not all cardio feels the same, even when it's all hard and stupid and we hates it. I used to be a runner; it never gave me a single endorphin or good feeling afterwards. (Now I value my knees too much, and stick to lower impact cardio.) But rowing does feel good, even though it's miserably hard and mostly the same leg muscles in use. So there are options up and down the misery scale that'll still give nice misery bragging rights without the bad kind of misery. Like, it might at least be the good hurt. :D

The knees thing is something I'm going to have to be careful of with this. I have a bum knee, my sister has one, and my Mom too, so it runs in the family, but until I detect any issues with it I'm going this. I can also say though, that I my most active periods of life whether it was running, weight lifting, or Kung Fu, were the ones where I had the fewest issues, and proper mechanics, stretching, hydration, and recovery time are key (as with all things fitness).

================================

I did my assessment walk today. I covered 1.5 mi in 25 min (that was the basic requirement to level up I think), but the app said my program wouldn't post until Monday. Which sucks because I wanna know now... but maybe they're actually going to carefully review something, maybe even a human is going to look at my performance and think semi critically about it. I could be reset at the current level because I didn't do ALL the level 3 workouts because I downloaded the app and did the very first assessment in the middle of week 1 and skipped the rest of the week. Idk. But, I wouldn't mind two more weeks of walking while I acclimate to the routine and get used to the app and program.

As I go on with this challenge, I'm adding another sub-goal to running, which will be some sort of list of PRO's for running, or reflecting on a positive experience or memory of some sort while running to help me build up encouragement and positive reinforcement.

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

It looks like I'm restarting level 3. Which is fine and the more sensible thing. 

Today I did my 15 minute walk and strength training. I replaced a 15 min cool down walk with gardening in the interest of time and getting my natives planted... finally. 

• Like 6

--Stronkey Kong--

On 6/18/2022 at 3:29 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

Thanks. I might snap some tomorrow, still green though. I've also got broccoli, cauliflower, serranos, jalapenos, bell peppers, and pickle plants.

I have little yellow tomatoes, some knight red peppers, hungarian peppers, green beans, lettuce, squash, blueberry bush, strawberry bush.  Did a lot of outside cleaning and have a couple empty pots to maybe do herbs in.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:34 PM, Scaly Freak said:

/agreed

I barely function once it hits the 80s, nevermind moving.

• Like 1

Today was supposed to be another long, fast walk,  but I had a consultant out this afternoon to talk about installing a solar energy system... that took three hours... so I didn't have time to walk before work. (And it was 94 degrees out)

However, it was time well spent, and I'm gonna go through with it. It wasn't a total no brainer tho. It's all gonna be financed and I'm actually going to be paying a higher monthly bill for energy. But, it's for the sake of being green. I won't have to worry about power outages (backup battery), I'll likely get credits for extra energy in the summer, and it's a longterm investment adding value to the house and buffering against the rising cost of energy and inflation. 

Any who... that's what your getting into with solar if your considering it. 

@Tanktimus the Encourager, no drones yet. 🙁

• Like 5

--Stronkey Kong--