1 hour ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Today was supposed to be another long, fast walk,  but I had a consultant out this afternoon to talk about installing a solar energy system... that took three hours... so I didn't have time to walk before work. (And it was 94 degrees out)

However, it was time well spent, and I'm gonna go through with it. It wasn't a total no brainer tho. It's all gonna be financed and I'm actually going to be paying a higher monthly bill for energy. But, it's for the sake of being green. I won't have to worry about power outages (backup battery), I'll likely get credits for extra energy in the summer, and it's a longterm investment adding value to the house and buffering against the rising cost of energy and inflation. 

Any who... that's what your getting into with solar if your considering it. 

@Tanktimus the Encourager, no drones yet. 🙁

I didn't expect the drones for the sales consult, they don't do that till after you sign the contract. The drones will be part of your site survey. Its the batteries that drove your payments higher than the savings. We didn't get the batteries and we're going to come out ahead month to month.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

59 minutes ago, Maigs said:

That's exciting! I want solar but we have too many trees around the house 

That's a tough tradeoff. I was, and am still worried I might have to have my one tree trimmed in the future. 

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I didn't expect the drones for the sales consult, they don't do that till after you sign the contract. The drones will be part of your site survey. Its the batteries that drove your payments higher than the savings. We didn't get the batteries and we're going to come out ahead month to month.

Not in my case.  The savings without the battery wouldn't decrease the monthly cost any lower than my highest bills in the summer.

Texas vs Indiana: you're getting more sunshine year round. You've probably got a bigger roof too... my house is tiny. 

But yeah, it does add an extra $100/ mo. 

Are you with Pink Energy?

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

1 hour ago, Stronkey Kong said:

That's a tough tradeoff. I was, and am still worried I might have to have my one tree trimmed in the future. 

Not in my case.  The savings without the battery wouldn't decrease the monthly cost any lower than my highest bills in the summer.

Texas vs Indiana: you're getting more sunshine year round. You've probably got a bigger roof too... my house is tiny. 

But yeah, it does add an extra $100/ mo. 

Are you with Pink Energy?

No, it's a relatively local outfit called Freedom Solar. The use SunPower panels. Agreed about the more sunshine and bigger roof, I have about 2200 square feet, though it's a two story, but it's still plenty of roof.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I had to think about it more. Why the battery is probably worth it...

Without it, excess energy will go back to the grid when the panels are making output, and generate energy credits. At night, when they're not generating, I'd pull power from the grid. The catch here, is that the electric company buys energy with credits at the wholesale rate, then what I pull at night I'd be buying at retail rate.

With the battery, the excess I generate goes to charging the battery first, then extra goes back into the grid and I get credits when the battery is full. At night I pull my free electricity from the battery, and don't have to buy more from the electric company unless I deplete the battery, which is unlikely, even when you figure in that I'm a night owl and have the lights on longer than most others. However, without the battery, I'd certainly be pulling more energy from the grid than other similar solar users.

Also, it provides additional security in a zombie apocalypse scenario...

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Which is the importantest part.

Yep. Need to charge cattle prods and keep the flood lights on all night.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Today the solar guy came back and finished up the last of his assessment... so I was up a little earlier than usual. That's two days in a row, so tonight's gonna be 'fun.' This return trip also necessitated me going through the breaker box, and boy is this 100 year old house wired up stupid 🤔. The kitchen, plus all the ceiling lights on one circuit. Then another for like half the house, but not EVERY outlet on that half. I've seen 'em room by room (nice), wall by wall (not always convenient, but it makes sense), but this is almost like the wired every other outlet on one, then the rest on another. But, now I know I can keep the fridge, ceiling lights, wifi, and TV all on during the zombie apocalypse.

Running: Today's visit wasn't three hours long, so I had time to make up yesterday's walk. I just went around the block, a little over a mile in 20 min. Wasn't trying hard, just ticking the box. Currently 88 deg F, sunny, nice breeze. It was actually quite nice.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Joggo sucks (for me at least).

I was looking at the GPS tracking paths, and they are showing things that are all over the place... might just be my phone and it's signal, but the app isn't doing a good job of tracking what I bought it to track. I don't think it's getting accurate distances.

It never unmutes the audio cues when I tell it to. I feel like this might be because I'm also playing music, but a good app would know to stay unmuted.

The nutritional advice is only meal plan based, i.e. no macros. I could use the examples as basic guidelines, but... well I just don't like an app telling me exactly what to eat especially when it's always expensive foods I don't keep around.

Also, I don't care for their strength exercises. I can design a better routine.

Until further notice, I'm going to do:

M: >= 20 min fast walk

T: NF KB workout... one circuit, AMRAP each exercise

W: >= 20 min fast walk

R: Recover: Casual walk (optional), stretch

F: NF KB workout... at least one circuit

S: 30 min run/walk... or maybe just fast walk for now

S: Recover: Casual walk (optional), stretch

New Goal: BUDGETTING

In light of the solar panels it looks like I'm getting, I am going to need to tighten my belt. It's not like a total necessity, but it will be helpful if I can rein in some bad spending habits.

1) Don't buy any more musical instruments... I think I'm good for quite a while with 2 basses, 2 electric guitars, 2 acoustics, 2 ocarinas, a violin, a trumpet, an electronic drumset, a keyboard, and a small MIDI-controller.

2) Cancel Amazon prime. and other delivery subscriptions.. end the impulse buys and if I'm not willing to drive to the store for it, I probably don't need it.

3) Stick to grocery lists, batch cook for work meals, and no more restaurant deliveries.

• Like 7

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

12 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

1) Don't buy any more musical instruments... I think I'm good for quite a while with 2 basses, 2 electric guitars, 2 acoustics, 2 ocarinas, a violin, a trumpet, an electronic drumset, a keyboard, and a small MIDI-controller.

Ah yes, GAS, my partner told me about this. With bicycles we call it "N+1". When determining the number of bicycles you need, the answer is always N+1 where N = the number of bicycles you currently have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 8  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

1 minute ago, Conquius said:

Ah yes, GAS, my partner told me about this. With bicycles we call it "N+1". When determining the number of bicycles you need, the answer is always N+1 where N = the number of bicycles you currently have.

Don't forget it's also D-1, where D is the number of Bikes that  causes a divorce.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge

Friday night I wound up working 2.5 extra hours. Our company had an order that they wanted to ship on Monday morning, so another employee and I stayed to finish it up. I was back out on the shop floor and walking back and forth a lot, and I felt it Saturday. I got some beers on the way home Friday. I am currently drinking my 16th beer of the weekend... that'll be the last, but I really didn't need these calories. I bought these beers because my former grad school cohort and I had some plans for a virtual happy hour, which went well. .. except I spilled some beer on my keyboard. Computer still works, but it just has a few sticky keys and smells like stale beer. 🤣

Okay, scratch the most recent plan (before I even started it)... I just deja vu'ed HARD! :P

I started reading Run Your Butt Off, and I'm gonna follow that plan, starting now with week 1.

Week 1: Walk 30 min, 4 times. Pick 4 days and times, and stick to them.

I'm gonna start at or before 2 pm  on M, W, F, Sat. So I can get it done early. If the weather doesn't permit it, I can sub the NF KB workout, but I have to do all three rounds, but I'll only accept one sub. If I have to do two, I'll stay at this level another week.

RYOB emphasizes that diet is the most important in the beginning, but for the first week just has you journalling. Mostly what, when, and where. I'm a bit more experienced with this, and I know my main eating habits, so I decided to put together a list of my most common meals, and figure out the calories and macros. That way I've got a quick way to track calories and protein: just look at the list, if I ate it, add it and count up all the calories and protein.

I also calculated my BMR and TDEE (before exercise) according to their formulae, which comes up with:

BMR: 2480 cals

TDEE (before exercise): 3058

With numbers like these, it should not be hard to lose several pounds in the next few weeks so long as I do the basics of what I'm supposed to be doing.

That's the last thing I bought with prime and it has arrived. Time to cancel!

GARDEN PICS!!!!

Spoiler

dd324709dd57b89d323f6d905eb13639a9a43f5d

Just about the whole thing there.

ff35a6abdb92d75ef045e3757c216d6b20ad5f28

Tomatoes!

ecded51e71aafe961b90df7c35523e2a53285b17

I think these are just the same tomatoes from the other side. There are other plants producing too, including cherry tomatoes.

5257f08cc77b27e906dee02b54aaf50541501009

I nailed a trellis to the side of my deckso the pickle plants can climb up and grown on the railing etc.

eb0d5df60838b694a7e1339f75ed40be11eba5a6

BABY PICKLE!

5b545ae01c31b731d2bac12181876c131484ba12

Baby Broccoli... tho I'm betting this isn't gonna get much bigger. Broccoli is an early season plant.

0682fc4ec1a3da8db52999e595e5ecf3ee9bef98

Swiss chard is doing well. Very colorful stems.

d0b310dc70760cd0909bb8e424a891173ad9a1f0

Peppers, peppers, peppers... still tiny, but I think I saw a few flowers starting.

• Like 9

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

MONDAY 6/27/22

I did the thing. 30 min of fast walking, plus a 10-ish min. cool down walk.

I set a workout timer for 2x 15 min intervals. At the 15 min mark I was just shy of the edge of the power station driveway... I note this because I'm gonna try to beat it next walk. I made it back to my street with 2 min to spare so I just kept going and did a lap around the 'block' to let the timer run out and do my cool down walk. Stretched on the front porch, and went inside.

I'm eating my breakfast while typing this.

Food Calories Protein Carbs Fat
Banilla Protein Shake 525 50 47 11
Grape Walnut Salad 333 18 14 24

Lunch will be: 2x

Spaghetti and Meatballs 533 30 51 22

That will get me to 1924 calories, which is a huge deficit below my  roughly 3358 calories for today (3058 pre exercise TDEE, + 300 burned while walking). I'm gonna make a PB&J:

PB&J 336 10 48 12

In case I get really hungry on the tail end of my shift at work. And bring some grapes and carrot sticks to snack on (Maybe 300 more calories).

That should get me to around 2500, and at a roughly 800 calories deficit. And it's enough that I'm confident I will be full if I finish it.

I'll spare you al this much detail in future posts, but that should give you an idea what's going on here.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

I mentioned I can adjust my days as needed right?

Yeah. Scheduling conflicts are abounding already.

I am going to get out and do my second walk tomorrow... err, today, Tuesday... cuz the weather will be nice. Also, Saturday, T-storms are likely and my Mom is hosting Father's Day/4th of July dinner, and I have to go over and fix the chicken coop (that I was supposed to but didn't this last weekend) beforehand anyway. <sigh>

So, I'm amending the week to

M -- walk 30 min... done!

T-- walk 30 min

W-- Rest

R-- walk 30 min

F-- walk 30 min

S-- chicken coop, dinner, fireworks

S-- rest

Then, I just got semi-official notice of a schedule adjustment at work... <more sighing>

Our new operations manager (been there 2 months or so) has decided that night shift will start at 3:30 pm and last until 2 am, with 30 min automatically being deducted for lunch.

This means, I am going to have to start getting up earlier. I am actually okay with that part. Often the challenge with working nights for me has been not having enough daylight hours to get things done. If I'm forced into a routine of getting up earlier, this will help me in the long run. Especially when Fall and Winter roll around. So my run/walk times can start happening before noon starting next week.

This also means that instead of having the option to work 10 hours straight, and have an extra half an hour at home each day, I now have to stay at or near work for an extra 30 min for which I am not paid. I normally, eat lunch at my desk while keeping the machine running or whatever. Now since I'm stuck there and not getting paid for 30 min of my time, I am going to MOST DEFINITELY NOT WORK FOR 30 MIN WHILE I'M THERE. I realize most of the working world functions mostly like this and I've been lucky to have the flexibility, but I am a little annoyed at having to give it up.

The question is: What do I do for those 30 min? I did think of using that time to do my running/walking... but the 30 min would include changing clothes on each end of the workout, warm up, and cool down. But some sort of exercise might be an option. Read? Nap? All of the above?

Now here's the thing... the last two managers tried to put the shop on a more structured schedule, and both of those left within a month or two after the new schedule was implemented. Further, when we were introduced to him, he said better communication was going to be his top priority... I heard about this change a couple of weeks ago through the grapevine. Not once in that time has he paid a visit to the lab to talk to us. Now I don't work directly under him, but in the past, operations managers usually communicate regularly with the quality lab because we impact their productivity pretty directly. Part can't be made until we approve the first one out of the machine, not to mention in-process inspections. I don't know how long this is going to last. One of the more senior guys, and our team lead on night shift is  likely leaving over the schedule change, and the fact that he wasn't notified. Not a good sign when skill and experience start leaving the company.

😕

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

11 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:
7 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

The question is: What do I do for those 30 min?

Whatever is stress relieving! 

Seconding this!

Ive been getting really into listening to fantasy audiobooks, and that's how I spend my lunch breaks mostly.

• Like 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 8  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

I might just hook up my RetroPie to the break room TV and play video games.

===========

I finished all that food and still went to bed hungry. I slept well, but very lightly, and on the verge of waking up early. Last night and this morning, I decided to get Lumen going again... remember that? I blew a 3 last night (burning carbs and fat) and a 1 this morning (burning mostly fat). Then I weighed myself at 280.6 lbs. I was 284 yesterday, and 287 when I started Joggo. So that's all moving in the right direction.

Did my walk today! I thought I blew away yesterday's distance (end of the power station), but then I realized that today I started my time when I got on the actual bike path, and not from my house. 🤭

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to eat for lunch.

Banilla Protein Shake 525 50 47 11
Grape Walnut Salad 333 18 14 24
Guac-rice-tofu 484 26 44 20
PB&J 336 10 48 12

Doubling up on the Guac-rice-tofu (w/tomatoes) and adding some carrot sticks and grapes again.

2462 calories (assuming carrots and grapes together are about 300).  104 g PRO.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

7 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This.

I read, play games on my phone, or listen to a podcast.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I’m not someone who is productive during breaks. I need to just relax and be left alone to turn my brain off for a bit. Otherwise I get exhausted and overwhelmed on the second half of working. 

This is probably pretty telling, but...

At work is probably when my brain is the most relaxed. I tend to do a good job of finding things to over complicate and stress over. My job can often be a mind numbing distraction from the usual existential crises and ethical quandaries my brain produces when it's not engaged in the monotony of working. 

At home, I can pick up a guitar. Work on fixing the tub, garden... do something useful and productive to ignore these problems. Now I have to come up with something I can do while at work... which likely will be nothing productive at all. 

<sigh> 

The real problem is just that now I am forced to spend an extra half hour of my day at work. 😕

8 hours ago, Conquius said:

Seconding this!

Ive been getting really into listening to fantasy audiobooks, and that's how I spend my lunch breaks mostly.

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

This.

I read, play games on my phone, or listen to a podcast.

I think I'm gonna use that half an hour to learn javascript so I can start a new career in web programming. 

And I ought to do it conspicuously so my boss and colleagues are aware that this extra 30 min of being in the building without being paid could be the reason I left my position there. 🤣

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

3 minutes ago, Stronkey Kong said:

I think I'm gonna use that half an hour to learn javascript so I can start a new career in web programming. 

And I ought to do it conspicuously so my boss and colleagues are aware that this extra 30 min of being in the building without being paid could be the reason I left my position there. 🤣

Rebel Cereal GIF by Rebelicious

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

NGL... I had two beers before bed last night.

But, I woke up and blew a 1 on Lumen, 🤷‍♂️

Today is recovery day, so I slept in a bit. Pushing close to 3000 calories for the day.

There's some other pains in my ass from work aside from the new schedule starting next week. I keep getting word that somebody's leaving, or pissed off/upset about something else, getting written up, yada, yada, yada. And for a while now, the day shift crew in the lab has been feuding over bullshit. There's a triangle of three personalities all kind rubbing each other the wrong way and creating a lot of friction and tension. And people outside the lab are noticing it. There's just a lot of unnecessary negativity precipitated by petty bullshit. It's all lightweight from my perspective, but it starts to wear on ya.

Lately, I'm bored at work. There's always something to do when I walk in, but not enough to 'entertain' me for the whole 10 hour shift. We're doing a good job of keeping up with the workload, but I'm also not feeling very challenged... though that could change in an instant... 99% of everything lately is routine and boring, or just a hastle.

I think it's time again to start looking around. I'm in a good spot where I'm comfortable, I can look without feeling pressure to jump, and I can weight options carefully. And I think I want to lean on that old MS Genetics of mine and steer myself back toward life sciences, and most likely go for something like quality engineer at a biotech company. There are a lot of companies locally, so lot's of options.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

On 6/27/2022 at 12:43 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

BABY PICKLE!

Pickle Rick - Wikipedia

On 6/28/2022 at 4:50 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

But some sort of exercise might be an option. Read? Nap? All of the above?

Pushups?

On 6/30/2022 at 4:14 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

quality engineer at a biotech company

So....

T Virus Resident Evil GIF - T Virus Resident Evil Vial - Discover & Share  GIFs
Become Wesker?
  • Haha 1