[Preamble]

Welcome to Owlshire, a beautiful woodland property in the Forest of Dean, England.  I’m a 42 year old American woman living here with my British husband (Mr) and pre-school son (Enting). I work in gamedev and when I’m not doing that, I’m tending to my garden, doing needlework of some sort, writing, playing games (of various sorts), and exploring our local woodlands.

image.jpeg.a11ebee513324d5f432d46070a619702.jpeg

However, this challenge will involve a lot of time away from home….

[Challenges]

image.gif.2de66fdb008406cff4c385d70d88ed3f.gif

Zero Week we are headed off across the country for a wedding and will be away for 4 days.

During Weeks 2-4, we will be headed across the globe to attend my father’s memorial hike in the US, staying a bit extra to reconnect with family and friends that we’ve been separated from due to life and pandemics.

And in the spaces in between we’re going to be preparing and catching up on what’s fallen behind at home.

… so I’m keeping this challenge very simple.

Organize:

• Keep using the planner every day. I started it again a couple of weeks ago and it’s been so helpful.
  • Keep on top of travel-related organization. This has its own planner…

Continue to Mordor:

• I will aim for 30 miles walked on a week (average).
  • 435 miles left to Mordor… my goal is to reach it by November.

Hobbit in Attitude, not in Width:

• I’m starting this challenge with a BMI of 22. My goal this challenge is to be the same or less by the end of the challenge. I have a longer term ambition to get to 21 BMI, but at the moment I’m focusing on maintenance. 

I will check in weekly on Mondays or thereabouts, optional when I’m traveling. 

• Like 14

Sometimes you have to wander to find your way home…
🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Epic Quest: Tales of Owlshire 

Good luck with all of your travel, I know how that can seriously throw off routines.  One day at a time, you got this!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

37 minutes ago, shaar said:

I know how that can seriously throw off routines. 

Thanks! It’s hard to shake off the urge just to say “I give up on all goals until after the travel is done” but actually I can test things out and still do some things regularly even if I can’t establish a “rock solid” new routine during this period. (And no routine ends up being rock solid fro me anyway :P) 

• Like 2

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

7 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

“I give up on all goals until after the travel is done”

I had this mentality during the move, and am paying for it now! 

Its A Trap GIF

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Just now, RES said:

I had this mentality during the move, and am paying for it now! 

Its A Trap GIF

Moving is a big thing!

But yes, I’ve learned if I wait for things to “settle down”… well, I’m never going to get to it. It never settles down, and when it does, it doesn’t stay that way for long! 

• Like 2

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Following.  I have the travel challenge coming up at the end of this challenge.  So, following for success tips!!!

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Week 0

This was Adventure 1 of the Challenge - a 4 day trip to Yorkshire for a wedding. Our first family trip of any sort since before the pandemic!

Organize: I solo parented the front of the week (something I’m still learning how to do and kind of an adventure in itself), and the Mr basically returned from his business trip just in time for us to throw in our luggage in the car and head to Yorkshire (about a 3 1/2 hour drive). So while solo parenting (and working full time) I packed and sorted out the chicken-sitters and... yeah. I think I did plenty of organization! And got us successfully on our way!

Walk to Mordor: 30.25 miles/405 miles to Mordor... 

Hobbit:  Jumped on the scale this morning, and was pleased to see my weight was down fractionally, even after a routine disrupting weekend (with cake).  

29FBEFFD-EA89-4EEB-A049-988FC80D4617.jpeg.5f65e59c0d64f056ad5a1b2d8a7bb67e.jpeg

Adventure 1 - Yorkshire: 

The wedding went well. The Enting was the ring bearer/page boy and did his role perfectly, and looked very grown up and handsome in his formal outfit!

The day after the wedding, we went out to Bolton Abbey (Yorkshire Dales) to explore a bit with a couple of people before we headed back to the Forest the next morning. It was nice to reconnect with an old friend and get to know her new beau who seems like good people.

We took Enting to a couple of local playgrounds during the trip and found they had mini obstacle courses. It made me realize two things: 1) mastering an obstacle course like that is a good short term fitness goal, 2) I am in many ways strong and healthy, but whatever muscles I need to be able to do the monkey bars, I don't have them.

So, after the America trip (um, that starts next week), I'm going to see how to change that. And also I'm going to look for local little obstacle courses in my area to master. This is probably going to be a theme for next challenge...

• Like 7

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

LOVELY photos!!  I'm glad it all went well!

And on the monkey bars - oh my gosh, being able to do that as a kid? Piece of cake! When I tried a few years ago? Yeeeeah just let me fall off, because this isn't happening anymore. It kinda blew my mind!  That is a great future goal though, and also fun!

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

1 hour ago, shaar said:

And on the monkey bars - oh my gosh, being able to do that as a kid? Piece of cake! When I tried a few years ago? Yeeeeah just let me fall off, because this isn't happening anymore. It kinda blew my mind!  That is a great future goal though, and also fun!

For real, and I’m much stronger and active now than I when I was a child! 

• Like 4

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Week 1

Organize: Haha. Everything. No, not everything. But it's been a lot - coordinating with housesitters and AirBNB and other hosts, getting critical paperwork together that we're going to need, the actual packing which has been in iterations to trim as much as necessary as we're trying to stay carry-on only… and that’s far from all of it…

Walk to Mordor: Walked 31.2 miles/ 373.6 miles remaining to Mordor...

Like a Hobbit: This weekend I tried on a dress I hadn't worn since (at least) last summer and I'm really pleased by how it looks on me now! Moments like that reinforce that my weight loss is real (not just a “number”) and motivate me to keep it up.

On Thursday morning we're off from Owlshire and beginning on our lengthy journey of 8,000 miles. This has been made somewhat more complicated by the Enting coming down with a stomach bug this afternoon and not allowed back to nursery for 72 hours… by such time we’ll be traveling anyway. So now instead of focusing on getting our work and travel ducks in a row these next couple of days, we’re trying to do all that and look after a (surprisingly, for someone who is ill) bouncy 4 year old. 🤣

I already exhausted. 

Updates while I’m away may be sketchy, but if I can’t get them posted on the trip I’ll post them upon my return. Happy Adventuring!

image.gif.2de66fdb008406cff4c385d70d88ed3f.gif

• Like 9

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

.giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476s21474z20x8k4dh5k

The jet-lag is real. And compounded by a jet-lagged Enting whose screwed up sleep schedule doesn’t even align with mine. Oof.

The trip was emotional and nonstop, both due to my Dad’s memorial, but also the emotional charge of returning to the place I lived from aged 0-36 before I moved to the UK. I’ve done lots of travel. I’ve never returned. It’s a totally different thing.

I will post pictures… later. 

I’ve got through 2 days of work and now it’s the weekend and we’re heading into Week 4 or 5 (I can’t remember) I just wanted to update the challenge since all the traveling is over.

Organize: Still active - only now it’s picking up the pieces from all our time away this challenge. Update the notebook. Use the notebook. Get things done. 📝

Walk to Mordor: Carry on with this one. I expected to do a lot of steps on the trip, but actually other than the memorial hike it was mostly sitting on my bum driving places to sit down on my bum some more and socialize with people. 🤷‍♀️

Like a Hobbit: Not very surprisingly given all the sitting on my bum and a lot of eating out and difficulty sourcing healthy food my weight nudged up a tiny bit on the trip.  Now I need to get it back to where it was before the trip, and go from there. 🍲

• Like 6

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Sounds like many adventures were had, and Yorkshire looks beautiful! Hope you take time to rest up from the adventuring though!

• Like 1

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge:   https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/120325-rhovaniel-stronger-wiser-healing/

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728

Week 4 Update

Organize:

Have been using my notebook. Have been plotting future goals. Need to check my old “big list” and start taking action on those.

I didn’t exactly put things “on hold” while planning and going on this trip, but some big but-not-yet-urgent things were reshuffled to happen afterwards and now… well it’s after. I need to get them into action.

I’m very determined to get things in order and I’ve been eyeing the 12 Week Year system again. I love the system in theory, but as anyone who follows my 5 Week Challenges knows, I can’t even get through that without something blowing up and throwing my plans into disarray so the 12 Week system is kind of laughable. But I’m going to keep trying anyway… better to try than not.

Anyway, this week I’m figuring out the 12 Week Year I want to pursue coinciding the start of the next challenge. 

Reach Mordor:

29.5 miles walked.  284 miles left to Mordor… My Fitbit got a little bit confused when I suddenly lost 8 hours and part of a day in the time zone shift, but I think it’s as accurate as it can be…

A Hobbit in Attitude, not in Width:
I didn’t weigh myself this week. 

837C884A-CD81-420C-9734-0488AA186992.jpeg.97d0df407932f883f65273945f769627.jpeg

I didn’t take very many photos on the trip, actually. Here we have Enting at the start of a long set of queues through London-Heathrow Airport. LHR is a hot mess. We got there 4 hours early and were literally running for the gates as they were closing boarding for our plane because check in and security queues were so long. Luckily, we still got on. On the way back, Sea Tac Airport was a breeze, but our flight was delayed because they were delayed leaving LHR… presumably because of waiting for passengers stuck in long queues. *sigh*

That said, Enting was a fantastic traveler. Though queues and long flights, changing accommodations frequently,  meeting endless new people… he was all smiles and all good cheer.  I have no desire to do more travel at the moment, but if we did, I’d at least I know that Enting is good for it. 

I got a few photos of our way up on the memorial hike. On our way to the Olympic Mountains, I stopped by my childhood home (and where my Dad continued to live until a few years ago) to show Enting. It turns out the new owners had moved out the week before and the house was empty, waiting to be rented out. I knocked on my neighbor’s door (they’ve lived there since I was a little girl) and chatted with them for a bit, mentioned I had hoped to ask the owners of my old house if I could take photos from the backyard (where there are views of the mountains we were headed to), and they took me back there and said if there were any complaints they’d take care of it. So there’s some (clouded over, LOL) photos from the deck.

I don’t know if I’ll ever get back to that house or see those neighbors again….

One of the “fun” parts of having the area divided by the Puget Sound is the ferry system - so Enting got his first trip on a ferry! (That he remembers; he did take the Dover-Calais channel crossing when he was 5 months old.)

Otherwise the trip was hanging out with family, with friends, and it was all good but fast-paced and exhausting. Still, we’re glad to have done it.

And we’re also very glad to be home. And home it is. I’ve often felt conflicted between Seattle and the UK, but after that trip… well, I still miss my friends, but I definitely feel that the UK is now my home.  That may change someday, but not today, and I expect not for many years to come.

• Like 6

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

27 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

And we’re also very glad to be home. And home it is. I’ve often felt conflicted between Seattle and the UK, but after that trip… well, I still miss my friends, but I definitely feel that the UK is now my home.  That may change someday, but not today, and I expect not for many years to come.

That's a really wonderful feeling, when you know that where you are is where you want to be :) 

• Like 1

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge:   https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/120325-rhovaniel-stronger-wiser-healing/

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728