Snarkyfishguts Takes a Hike

For this challenge, I am going to focus on two things: hiking and languages.

I think I'm going back to Germany next year, and I really loved learning German, so I'm going to dust off my learning tools and get back to it.  I'm also going to keep studying Spanish with more intention because I really do believe that will be beneficial living in the US. 

Mom and I are going to Utah for a hiking trip in the fall, and we're not physically at the level we need to be for the trip. So we're going hiking a lot more! Western Pennsylvania offers a lot of great hiking opportunities from steep hills to giant rocks to climb over and cool looking streams, rivers, and waterfalls.  We've already started today and I'm so tired, but I know the more we hike, the easier it will get.  I'm going to stretch before and after hikes, and maybe do some supportive leg and balance exercises to protect my hips and knees. 

That's it! :)  Thanks for being here!!

• Like 10

This will be a fun challenge!  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

37 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Sounds like you have some great adventures in the works :)

Great to see you and THANKS YEAH! I'm really excited!  The Germany trip is surprisingly inexpensive, and the tour guide is my old middle school German teacher.  That trip isn't official yet though, but I'm hoping we'll get to go. We're definitely going to Utah though. I've been there once for a conference, and I remember standing outside looking at the red mountainous landscape and it was so DIFFERENT from Western PA, and I'm so excited to go back for fun and not work.  

36 minutes ago, deftona said:

I love the sound of this, it's a nice stripped back challenge! I'd love to see some hiking pictures too if you're so incline :) 

Hi buddy!   Yes! I wanted to have some intention for this challenge, but not the structure! I will DEFINITELY share photos :D 

11 minutes ago, Shello said:

This will be a fun challenge!  

I think so!  I'm really excited about it and am glad you're here!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Conquius said:

Sounds like a lot of fun! I've heard Utah is gorgeous.

Welcome and YEAH! The pictures are bonkers pretty. We're going to 2 National Parks, Bryce Canyon and Zion.  We're going to visit a state park too, but the name eludes me at the moment.  I'm excited to see somewhere that different from home. 

• That's Metal 1
1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Mom and I are going to Utah for a hiking trip in the fall, and we're not physically at the level we need to be for the trip. So we're going hiking a lot more! Western Pennsylvania offers a lot of great hiking opportunities from steep hills to giant rocks to climb over and cool looking streams, rivers, and waterfalls.  We've already started today and I'm so tired, but I know the more we hike, the easier it will get.  I'm going to stretch before and after hikes, and maybe do some supportive leg and balance exercises to protect my hips and knees. 

This is the perfect time of year for a hiking meet up!

• Like 1

IMG_3928.jpg.85787844840036a54a57c0ac7e748939.jpg

This is from Saturday's walk. I thought I had pictures from today, but nope!

Saturday we went to a different park and it was disappointing. The trails were completely overgrown and not safe to hike in because we're in Prime Tick Season. And my mother wasn't wearing long pants.   But the wildflowers were pretty.  It also looks like they're doing a lot of construction in the park, so I'm wondering what's going on there.  But I thought of @Tanktimus the Encourager because there was a disc golf tournament at the park that day! So we watched some disc golf after we gave up on the trails. 

The trail today was better and one of our favorites to walk.  The second half was a little more overgrown, but there was still a clear path. It has steep hills, and creeks to cross and roots for steps.. It's just nice to walk in the woods, but this path was really pleasant and challenging. The weather was wonky. it's humid and buggy while the creeks are almost dried up, which made crossing them easier, but the small waterfalls were like trickles. Dry and wet at the same time.  My favorite part about today's trek was a robin was ahead of us at one point and would run ahead of us and wait. And then would run ahead again for a while. and I said "I think it's leading us to a trap!" but while I'm sure it was just trying to get away from us, it really looked like we had a birdie tour guide :D 

• Like 6

Oh I love the simplicity of this challenge! And I'm looking forward to pictures! 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today's photo is brought to you by the gym my dad goes to. When we pulled up, the wildflowers were knee high and so pretty. And were about to be mowed down. The guy running the mower was super nice and waited for me to take a photo of the flowers. It's small kindnesses that make me love people.   Now it's just a tidy grass lawn so the guys at the gym can flip tires to their heart's content, but we'll know what was. 597127374_schrecfield.thumb.jpg.a861b590c363b82e4c69c3ffd527cfe7.jpg

No hiking today.  I did 20 minutes of fitness boxing on the Switch and felt TIRED, which means, stretching and resting. Mom and I went for a lazy 10 minute stroll in the neighborhood. It's unusually hot. I'd say honestly it doesn't usually get above 80 degrees in June here. That's more July/August weather. It's supposed to be above 90 tomorrow. I might go for a walk then too and just carry my water bottle with me. 

My sister-in-law now refers to my nephews as Bert and Ernie and OMG it's so accurate.  And good code names for here too.  Bert is the 19 yo nephew, and Ernie is definitley the 11yo. 

• Like 9

That field was so pretty!   We have a heat wave here as well.  We walked last night and the air was thick! 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

2 hours ago, Shello said:

That field was so pretty!   We have a heat wave here as well.  We walked last night and the air was thick! 

Yeah! That's really the only time to do it when it's this hot. But we've just been staying in and doign Fitness Boxing for exercise and strolling in the evenings just for fun. It's too hot for serious exertion. It feels super early for this level of heat. 

• Like 2

IT IS TOO HOT TODAY. 

Mom and I stayed in and boxed. I walked around the yard for a critter check and so far they are mostly on their side of the fence. We still have birds, chipmunks, and squirrels, but NO SNEAKY GROUNDHOGS.  And the deer seemed to figure out which side of the fence is theirs. So that's good . There's a lot of yard work to do, but it's too dang hot. 

It's 90 degrees but it feels hotter. 

Weird thing that happened. Mom burned brussel sprouts last night ("They're just lightly charred!") and when I went to sleep, I had weird sprout dreams. AND when I woke up, I could smell lightly charred brussel sprouts. The smell got into my sheets and blanket! WHAT THE HECK? At 3am, I finally gave up and shook out my blanket and sheets and sprayed pillow mist on them.  So weird. Lesson learned: close my bedroom door. 

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

weird sprout dreams

That is funny!   Those are some powerful lightly charred brussel sprouts!

• Haha 1