Snarkyfishguts Takes a Hike

It feels a little surreal that its June.  I keep thinking its late May. Or early June. Its perpetually June 6 in my head. I dunno. I am just surprised by the date. 

We went hiking yesterday and saw some cool mountain laurel. The weather has cooled off a little so it's not so miserable hiking right now. We’re going tomorrow morning, too.  Mom and I decided to postpone our trip to Utah until the spring. I’m not physically ready for a week of solid hiking with with lots of climbing.  But by May, I’ll be ready.  I think I could be ready by October, but I would feel a lot more comfortable giving myself some extra time to regain some strength.  Since we decided to do this, hiking is more fun again.  If I can get up to five miles a day, I’ll feel more confident about the trip. 

06CECA93-960E-4142-B9DA-0DB7286E3E9F.thumb.jpeg.8b285b3a9aaf62e8b2d4f3106a0f379e.jpeg

• Like 10

That's so beautiful! All your hiking talk makes me more excited for our family vacation coming up!

• Like 1

Lover of all things Dragons and stuff -~-~-~ Sunrunner | LVL 4* 6/195 (3%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress:

2022 Books completed: The Shoebox Secret,The Candlestone, The Silmarillion

Workout Logs | Previous Challenges: 14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I don’t like soup weather either. Whoaaaa 104!!!!

WHOAAA

It went down to 46 on the weekend lollllllll I was under a heated blanket at one point. I just couldn't warm up! Annnnnd we are back at the soup weather for today and tomorrow. We might reach 108 this time.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:36 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

It feels a little surreal that its June.  I keep thinking its late May. Or early June. Its perpetually June 6 in my head. I dunno. I am just surprised by the date. 

I was just talking about this with someone else the other day! Crazy 😕 Time really is just flying

We went hiking yesterday and saw some cool mountain laurel.

So beautiful ❤️ 

The weather has cooled off a little so it's not so miserable hiking right now. We’re going tomorrow morning, too.  Mom and I decided to postpone our trip to Utah until the spring. I’m not physically ready for a week of solid hiking with with lots of climbing.  But by May, I’ll be ready.  I think I could be ready by October, but I would feel a lot more comfortable giving myself some extra time to regain some strength.  Since we decided to do this, hiking is more fun again.  If I can get up to five miles a day, I’ll feel more confident about the trip. 

That is too bad you had to postpone but it sounds smart! You will be able to enjoy it more for sure if you wait. Love that you are enjoying your hiking again. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Oh that’s great! It’s so good to take a break, isn’t it? I hope you have a lovely time!

It definitely is! Thank you :)

• Like 1

Lover of all things Dragons and stuff -~-~-~ Sunrunner | LVL 4* 6/195 (3%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress:

2022 Books completed: The Shoebox Secret,The Candlestone, The Silmarillion

Workout Logs | Previous Challenges: 14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, Rookie said:

It went down to 46 on the weekend lollllllll I was under a heated blanket at one point. I just couldn't warm up! Annnnnd we are back at the soup weather for today and tomorrow. We might reach 108 this time.

That is bonkers!

On 6/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, Rookie said:

That is too bad you had to postpone but it sounds smart! You will be able to enjoy it more for sure if you wait. Love that you are enjoying your hiking again. 

Thanks! Me too! Once we decided we were postponing, we both were just so much happier and relaxed!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

we both were just so much happier and relaxed!

I love when you know it was the RIGHT decision.  You'll still have such a blast when you go but it'll be even better being able to keep up with what you want to do.  And you can enjoy hiking in the meantime.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

We have returned from a family vacation to Gatlinburg Tennessee and The Great Smoky Mountain National Park.  We had a great view from the cabin and saw bears a lot, which is both cool and terrifying. It’s unlikely we’ll go back. Traveling sucks for my dad unless we’re going to a beach. But here is the view, and a picture of a bear my SiL took038B571E-CC28-4121-A214-0F818237076E.thumb.jpeg.fb8f1003f248413f5bc6cff1bc69db76.jpegF44C5165-9D77-4BEE-BC76-0EC4A4FDB6DF.thumb.jpeg.070ac523e731dd0dfff3e02c82478161.jpeg

• Like 10

I've hit the pause button on the challenge this week and focusing on cleaning the heck out of everything. Between tests, birthday, visiting uncles and family cookouts, I'm already stressed about the next week. Mom and I agreed we'd start up again July 6th, and that if the opportunity arises, we'll go for a hike before then, but we're just doing our best, taking care of our stress one day at a time. And I know my goals are F.U.N., but it helps me relax to verbalize my intentions to take a time out.  Cleaning is stress-relieving, and I'm going to get back to it. 

Also, you know that question about if you could give an impromptu speech about something for 15 minutes, what would your topic be?  I'm curious as to what your topics are.  I have a few that I really enjoyed entertaining, but I decided ultimately that it would be "Unicorns in Literature" mostly because that's the presentation I would definitely attend. :D 

Okay! I'm off to continue cleaning! Have a great day!

Update: Dad just announced he's super excited about his presents, after he told us all he doesn't want presents*. I just warned my brother to get a present before Saturday, and he was like "Oh no, thanks!" 

*he always wants presents. always. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Also, you know that question about if you could give an impromptu speech about something for 15 minutes, what would your topic be?

Either Buffy, or why Dirty Dancing is a feminist masterpiece

• Like 5

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Also, you know that question about if you could give an impromptu speech about something for 15 minutes, what would your topic be

Barbecue

Texas History

Breakfast Tacos

Theology (multiple topics)

Bible (multiple topics)

Light Saber Combat forms

Star Trek (warp engines, Federation History, the Starships Enterprise)

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 6/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, deftona said:

Either Buffy, or why Dirty Dancing is a feminist masterpiece

I am really surprised by the Dirty Dancing topic!! That's really interesting. 

On 6/28/2022 at 5:16 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Barbecue

Texas History

Breakfast Tacos

Theology (multiple topics)

Bible (multiple topics)

Light Saber Combat forms

Star Trek (warp engines, Federation History, the Starships Enterprise)

Light Saber Combat Forms surprised me! I didn't realize this was a thing until someone pointed out the Obi-Wan stance online. It's a good list. 

I would attend all these topics! Thanks for sharing Def and Tank. <4

• Like 1

Dad definitely has neuropathy in his legs and it's starting in his hands too. He took a test yesterday where they used electrodes and needles to test his responsiveness, and it's not good. I've been reading a lot about different types of neuropathy, since we can rule out diabetes. based on his symptoms, his looks to be a sensory motor type and it looks like he's had it for a really long time.  It's a slow progressing thing, so once we confirm what type he has, we can determine if there is an intervention available to make life a little easier for him. But he's walking around and doing everything right. He could do more stretching, but that's a battle we've fought for decades.  

Next he's going to get ultrasounds in his legs to check for blood clots, because his feet turn blue when he sits.  That's the test I'm really nervous about.

I'm not okay right now.  I'm just taking it one test at a time, and I'm cleaning the house.  I knew that the test wasn't going to go well. I know that really none of these tests are going to go well.  But I think I just packed it all into a box in my head and the test results took the box out and unpacked it and said "And now we're going to deal with this feeling"  Today I'm going to go for a walk, schedule a hair appointment, and then clean some more and let my brain process.  He's going to be okay. I just hate this for him. I feel like his life has been hard enough, he doesn't need any more hardship.  

Deep breaths. Today we'll process it. And then keep going. 💜

• Like 6
On 6/28/2022 at 3:16 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Also, you know that question about if you could give an impromptu speech about something for 15 minutes, what would your topic be?  I'm curious as to what your topics are.  I have a few that I really enjoyed entertaining, but I decided ultimately that it would be "Unicorns in Literature" mostly because that's the presentation I would definitely attend. :D 

That is a good question and I have no absolutely idea lol

I could probably talk about horses for 15 minutes but I am not sure I would want to unless I knew the other people were interested haha. Maybe I could talk for 15 minutes of mistakes I've made while gardening. 15 minutes is a lot haha~

On 6/28/2022 at 3:16 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Update: Dad just announced he's super excited about his presents, after he told us all he doesn't want presents*. I just warned my brother to get a present before Saturday, and he was like "Oh no, thanks!" 

*he always wants presents. always. 

Idiot Facepalm GIF

Silly Dad but at least he gave you a little hint there! :P

Big hugs Snarky ❤️ 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rookie said:

That is a good question and I have no absolutely idea lol

I could probably talk about horses for 15 minutes but I am not sure I would want to unless I knew the other people were interested haha. Maybe I could talk for 15 minutes of mistakes I've made while gardening. 15 minutes is a lot haha~

WE CAN TALK ABOUT HORSES :D 

We can also talk about gardening mistakes. OMG. So much fun. But that would be a discussion more than a presentation. :D 

Idiot Facepalm GIF

Silly Dad but at least he gave you a little hint there! :P

Yeah! we found some awesome last minute presents, and we're celebrating again on Saturday with everyone all together, so that's awesome! Bonus present time!!

Big hugs Snarky ❤️ 

Thanks! We'll keep getting more information about Dad's health. He said he's going to treat it like a murder mystery and he's the detective going around to doctor's offices picking up clues and figuring out the culprit. So he's found his bright side. Dude never stops surprising me. 

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

He said he's going to treat it like a murder mystery and he's the detective going around to doctor's offices picking up clues and figuring out the culprit. So he's found his bright side. Dude never stops surprising me. 

Your Dad is so precious and we must protect him at all costs... AT ALL COSTS.

I hope he has a fabulous birthday party ❤️ I am sure he will 

40 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

We can also talk about gardening mistakes. OMG. So much fun. But that would be a discussion more than a presentation. :D 

To be fair I was never very good at presenting.. I am excellent at making good presentations but not good at the presenting part :P

Some fun topics for me (I would need to do more research before my "presentation" though ;))

- How to start a Homestead on less than 5acs

- Growing your own food

- LARP: Character design*

- Medieval Food

* One of my guilty pleasures that I LOVE watching on Youtube is of people who go thrifting to come up with cosplay or LARP outfits. I find those so much fun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Your Dad is so precious and we must protect him at all costs... AT ALL COSTS.

I hope he has a fabulous birthday party ❤️ I am sure he will 

💜

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

To be fair I was never very good at presenting.. I am excellent at making good presentations but not good at the presenting part :P

Some fun topics for me (I would need to do more research before my "presentation" though ;))

- How to start a Homestead on less than 5acs

- Growing your own food

- LARP: Character design*

- Medieval Food

* One of my guilty pleasures that I LOVE watching on Youtube is of people who go thrifting to come up with cosplay or LARP outfits. I find those so much fun. 

Whoa! I know nothing of any of those topics and will be attending your presentation. :D