Ohhhh man Notre Dame de Paris. I'm not sure how faithful the musical is to the book, but I read it (in translation) when I was on a Victor Hugo kick in the late 90s, and hoooo boy, there were some messed-up relationship dynamics in that book. Plus, the ending still gives me the creeps every time I think about it. Also, somewhat relatedly, "Hellfire" is such a truly baffling song for a Disney movie, IMO.

ETA: of course, none of this is going to stop me from watching the musical later this weekend 😂

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
12 minutes ago, Severine said:

Ohhhh man Notre Dame de Paris. I'm not sure how faithful the musical is to the book, but I read it (in translation) when I was on a Victor Hugo kick in the late 90s, and hoooo boy, there were some messed-up relationship dynamics in that book. Plus, the ending still gives me the creeps every time I think about it. Also, somewhat relatedly, "Hellfire" is such a truly baffling song for a Disney movie, IMO.

ETA: of course, none of this is going to stop me from watching the musical later this weekend 😂

I've never read it but I do remember watching the Disney version at some point like 10 years ago and going "yeah that character is consistent." Now I feel icky just thinking about it lol. 

also, since I'm posting French videos, you should watch this too if you haven't already. (same disclaimer if anyone else is interested, can't vouch for the subtitles). This is the one I went to see. Well, the 20th (?) anniversary version that had made some changes, but still. My introverted, anxiety-riddled ass waited at the stage door to get autographs and photos and looking back I don't even know how I managed it. But some of them asked who to make it out to and when I said my name they were like o_O and I was like "yeah I'm American" and they were like WHOA. Man now I'm excited about it all over again now that I'm reminiscing. 

and since you mentioned the Disney movie, I fucking love the French Canadian version of God Help the Outcasts. The France French version is fucking stupid as hell, it's so weird to me how different they are. 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Let this conversation serve as a warning to everyone else: if you engage me on french or musicals I might not ever shut up. 

unless you mention Colm Wilkinson, because that I will ignore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Haha, notice that I did not follow up re: Mr. Wilkinson! I will respect our détente.

Also maaaaaaan you took me on a nostalgia trip with that song. My brother was a huge fan of Disney music, so growing up, he had all the CDs for the contemporary movies and played them constantly. I heard that version of the song you linked (because Canada) more times than I can count. I didn't even know there was a different European version, but that makes sense. Now I need to go find it and compare. Also, even seeing a cartoon version of the interior of Notre Dame makes me all emotional because of the fire and makes me think of all the times I've been there (I'm not even religious, but I go every single time I'm in Paris, including one very magical Christmas eve candlelight midnight mass with the most amazing choir I've ever heard). Sigh.

I think you've mentioned that production of R&J (I think it might have been the same one you translated too?) but I've never watched it. It'll be a great way to procrastinate work next week while fooling myself into thinking I'm doing something worthwhile, because language practice.

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
On 6/23/2022 at 11:53 PM, fleaball said:

No I hear what you’re saying. I’m not sure I’ll ever actually get to that kind of future at this point, but I get it. 

Noted. Fun cat videos and other fun shit and sarcastic humor for the rest of the challenge, it is :D

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I thought about you last night, flea.

I was told the patient only spoke Arabic and I thought, man I wish flea was here, she could translate. :)  I googled xray in Arabic . Patient was not very alert so I have no idea if she understood what I was saying. I now know how to say  xray in quite a few languages. (Honestly, in most languages it’s just “xray”.) 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Severine said:

Haha, notice that I did not follow up re: Mr. Wilkinson! I will respect our détente.

Also maaaaaaan you took me on a nostalgia trip with that song. My brother was a huge fan of Disney music, so growing up, he had all the CDs for the contemporary movies and played them constantly. I heard that version of the song you linked (because Canada) more times than I can count. I didn't even know there was a different European version, but that makes sense. Now I need to go find it and compare. Also, even seeing a cartoon version of the interior of Notre Dame makes me all emotional because of the fire and makes me think of all the times I've been there (I'm not even religious, but I go every single time I'm in Paris, including one very magical Christmas eve candlelight midnight mass with the most amazing choir I've ever heard). Sigh.

I think you've mentioned that production of R&J (I think it might have been the same one you translated too?) but I've never watched it. It'll be a great way to procrastinate work next week while fooling myself into thinking I'm doing something worthwhile, because language practice.

not religious either but yeah it’s a different experience being there. That Midnight mass sounds amazing and I am jealous. 

I’ve def mentioned it a couple times because obsession lol. And yes, that’s the one I made a terrible (in retrospect; it was accurate but not well done at all) translation of for my friend. Man, if I put that much effort into necessary things I’d be fucking dangerous. 

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you're taking requests for French things to go in about, how about Qubecois French vs. Continental French? I know little about French bit am interested because I'm aware of Mexican Spanish vs Continental Spanish.

that’s a better question for @Severine if only because Canada. My main exposure to quebecois has been Disney songs, so there’s not a huge difference - accents tend to disappear when singing and there’s no slang. I did watch a video before of random people talking about something with the captions on and I could still barely follow because things were fairly different. The only thing I know for sure is the accent is very different from France. 

30 minutes ago, Emma said:

I watched a bit of the videos and I LOVE them. Will watch all of them when I have time.

Merci beaucoup.

De rien :) also I love that you looked up X-ray in a bunch of languages. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

It’s hot. I am bored. But I don’t want to do anything because it’s hot. And I’m kinda pissed my father ignored me when I was pushing for him to update the electrical system in the entire house instead of just fixing one or two things at a time, because if he had then there could be an AC in every room. Instead we’re stuck with the pre-1986 wiring that trips circuits if you even look at two appliances at once. 

i want to be productive. I don’t just want to sit around all day. But that requires energy. 

• Like 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you're taking requests for French things to go in about, how about Qubecois French vs. Continental French? I know little about French bit am interested because I'm aware of Mexican Spanish vs Continental Spanish.

9 hours ago, fleaball said:

that’s a better question for @Severine if only because Canada. My main exposure to quebecois has been Disney songs, so there’s not a huge difference - accents tend to disappear when singing and there’s no slang. I did watch a video before of random people talking about something with the captions on and I could still barely follow because things were fairly different. The only thing I know for sure is the accent is very different from France.

The written, formal form of French is incredibly similar for both France and Québec. As for spoken language, a good analogy is the difference between British and American English. They're generally fully mutually intelligible, but there are noticeably different accents and pronunciation (with some people having stronger/thicker accents than others of course), and quite different expressions and slang. Also some vocabulary differences, some of which can be pretty funny if you don't know about them. For example, "les gosses" means "kids" in France and "testicles" in Québec. There are also some slight differences in the grammar of everyday informal speech. For example, in Québec there's a question marker word that isn't used in France.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Severine said:

For example, in Québec there's a question marker word that isn't used in France.

okay you can't just drop that fact in my thread and not elaborate on it. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Based on what I know of people’s ages and locations here I don’t know that anyone is immediately directly affected by this fucking Handmaid’s Tale LARP (obviously we’re all screwed in the long term), but:

friendly reminder I live in Massachusetts where it’s still legal to do whatever the fuck you want with your own uterus. If anybody ever needs to make a trip here, or knows someone who does, I will help in any way I can. 

• Like 6
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

okay you can't just drop that fact in my thread and not elaborate on it. 

Haha, you'll think it's hilarious because of how confusing it is. In addition to "tu" being the second person singular pronoun, it's also used (same spelling, same pronunciation) as an interrogative particle. So instead of saying "Tu me comprends?" you could, in informal speech, say "Tu me comprends-tu?" Likewise: "Elle va-tu venir?" "Ils savent-tu mon adresse?" This is the best overview I found online (in French with French and English subtitles).

The second tu means nothing really--it's just a particle flagging the question. Obviously, because of "tu" also being an actual important word with an actual meaning, the duplication can be super confusing for people not used to it.

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Based on what I know of people’s ages and locations here I don’t know that anyone is immediately directly affected by this fucking Handmaid’s Tale LARP (obviously we’re all screwed in the long term), but:

friendly reminder I live in Massachusetts where it’s still legal to do whatever the fuck you want with your own uterus. If anybody ever needs to make a trip here, or knows someone who does, I will help in any way I can. 

Hells ya. And FYI, various Canadian politicians have made it clear that Americans who want the cross the border to access services here will be welcome to do so (not free if you're not a Canadian resident, but there are also nonprofits who give out funds to help cover such expenses including travel, and I'd chip in if someone were in need).

• Like 5

If anyone needs a “vacation” in California I will do what I can to help, too.

The shooting in Uvalde really hit me hard. Now, though, I am just feeling numb, waiting for the rest of our rights to be taken away.

• Sad 4

First - great job on keeping up with your challenge!

I'm in TN and extremely thankful that I'm already sterilized and should be going through menopause ANY DAY NOW PLEASE. All of my reps in my rural area are absolute trash and no one is running against them. But I'll vote for flesh eating bacteria as a write in before I vote for our current US Congressman. I've considered calling with a script - but I'll go off script and end up with a visit from the local constabulary. I just want there to be some ALTERNATIVE CHOICES in the election. They Dem that ran for the Congressional District I'm in in 2020 I think would have a real chance today, but he decided not to run. I can't find a SINGLE dem running for state representation for my district. It's frustrating as hell......

/rant

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Started to clean my room, got distracted by some bullshit outside. Attempted to change my sheets, boobcat parked himself on the bed immediately. Decide to take a shower, my father comes home while I’m getting everything together that I need. Clearly some god doesn’t want me to do anything today. It’s 7pm, I have a headache, my father is in some depressed miserable mood that he’s determined to spread around, and nothing has gone right for me. I have to order groceries and I really fucking don’t even want to think about it. Blahhhhh. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Aaaaand the Uber eats guy brought me someone else’s order full of shit I won’t eat so that’s awesome. 

it’s not even Monday today. 

• Wow 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Okay I’m moving to Germany and y’all can nominate me on Queer Eye there because I love these people and want to be friends with them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Dear diary,

today after helping my father complete more than half a dozen tasks and instructing him to do others while I worked on things, I told him “you better hope you die before I move out or you’re screwed.”

he didn’t really appreciate that. 

#sorrynotsorry

• Haha 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

So he said “thank you” more than once and it almost sounded sincere but each time it was accompanied by some variation of “you shouldn’t have to do all this for me/I should be able to do this myself” and as far as I’m concerned that immediately negates the sentiment. I didn’t get to call him out on it directly because I’m currently brain dead, but I did say “I don’t want to hear it, if you want to fix things find a therapist.” Then he got all defensive because the mental health department of the clinic our doctors are at has called a couple times to see if he’s still interested in therapy but no one’s gotten back to him after he says yes, so it’s not his fault. :rolleyes: 

he had a virtual appointment with his doctor yesterday and just now he said something about how he meant to ask her if “those computer ones you see all the time” were any good and “my daughter does that, are they any better than seeing a real person” and I just fucking…. I can’t. Like I get maybe not wanting to ask me about therapy because I’m his daughter and that’s weird or something idfk (despite having no issues dumping his problems on me directly) but holy shit you’re so fucking dumb. He started spouting some other bullshit and I told him to stop talking and go run the errands he was about to do. Not entertaining any more of your shit, thanks. 

(Did i mention one of the things I helped him with today was claiming my mother’s pension, because the supermarket is a union store? And said pension comes out to $63.50 in this case? I lost track of how many times I asked him if it was even worth bothering with it but noooo, he has to get anything and everything he [feels he] is entitled to. I might kill him myself tbh.)

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

(Did i mention one of the things I helped him with today was claiming my mother’s pension, because the supermarket is a union store? And said pension comes out to $63.50 in this case? I lost track of how many times I asked him if it was even worth bothering with it but noooo, he has to get anything and everything he [feels he] is entitled to. I might kill him myself tbh.)

Give him an invoice for helping him in the amount of $63.51.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • That's Metal 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

What an actual fucking waste of a day. Had therapy, then asked my father if he was ready to do the ONE thing he mentioned last night that he wanted to do after my appointment. And then that became “oh, while you’re here” and “hey that reminds me” and ugh. I got so wrapped up in all of it that I totally forgot to eat anything. So between that and the 4 fucking hours of doing his shit with him my day is just shot. I didn’t really have anything in particular planned but there is an ever-present to do list I could have worked on; sadly those tasks require brain power and I currently have none left. 

good(ish) news is that all but one thing we did today are things I’ve been begging him to finish doing and/or have been hearing him bitch about but never do. So I will be quite pleased not to deal with these things again. 

55 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Give him an invoice for helping him in the amount of $63.51.

I love this idea in theory. But the idea of putting in any extra effort related to him, even if it’s to be a petty bitch, just gives me fucking hives right now

• Like 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Wait...he thinks you're seeing a robot therapist? Or does he mean like...setting goals and having friends online?

The pension thing is a classic case of skewed priorities. I've heard so many stories of him doing dumb things that cost him a bunch of money and/or time (poor decisions about repairs on the house come to mind) and he seemed fine with all of that, but can't let that $63 get away.

• Like 4