Keys McGee Fights Back the Sunday Scaries

Hokay...now that the work front is somewhat stabilized, here goes. 

Broadly speaking, I want to build on the successes of the previous challenge. The waking up early was a huge boon, so that's going to take center stage with this challenge. Keeping up with the lifts has generally been successful (though that was when they were easy), so those stay put as well. Piano has kind of fallen by the wayside. For now, as much as it pains me to admit this, I need to put that one down. I expect that I'll pick it back up later (I intend to, at least), but I'm starting to get overloaded with other things that need to be taking a higher priority for the time being.

One of those higher priority elements is beefing up my coding chops. Now that I'm using a home built application to track my lifts, I need to spend some time getting better at coding so that I can improve its functionality. So I'm swapping out regular piano practice with a regular React study. This is temporary until I can beef up my coding abilities, at which point I plan to bring the regular piano practices back. 

French language practice on DuoLingo stays. As does keeping the budget updated. 

And for now, that's where we'll start, though I anticipate this will all get changed by the end.

In other news...I really ought to make these challenges more interesting. Maybe build a storyline around them or something. I keep mulling over it, but haven't really settled on any ideas I like yet. 

Nope...not adding complexity now. Complexity hurts progress. Just move forward. Hash out the details later.

So, the challenge as it stands:

1. Wake up by 7 am each morning.

2. Lifts 3 days per week (using a modified Starting Strength program).

3. React study for a minimum of 5 minutes each day.

4. French study on DuoLingo for a minimum of 5 minutes each day.

5.  Update the budget daily.

• Like 3

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"The older I get, the more I understand that the only way to say valuable things is to lose your fear of being correct." -Malcolm Gladwell

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

image.png.c48f09aab44c879c6eca874baf59b56b.png

Workout log from yesterday and Sunday. Those dates are wrong-They auto-populate based on the date I'm recording the entry. I need to fix that. Buuut not only is editing these things in the DB kind of a thing, but from what I can tell, dates in Javascript are funky. So, I'm not sure if it's as simple as change the 13 to the 12 or not. Hence adding "learn React" to the challenge. (Yes, that means eventually moving all of this to a React App, but that's a later problem.)

And the rundown for today: 

image.png.382c0f8e0d9bc482c503492d97eba95a.png

(And I owe my wife a litter box scoop-out it appears.)

• Like 3

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"The older I get, the more I understand that the only way to say valuable things is to lose your fear of being correct." -Malcolm Gladwell

Themes for challenges can be fun, but they can also just be something you feel you "should" do and not super motivating. If I have a fun idea for a theme,I go for it, otherwise plain is good.

I like your goals. I also like how you've thought through what you are really  going  to accomplish.  Sometimes we have to set aside one interest goal, and focus on another. But, that's way better than acting like we can do it all, getting overwhelmed, and doing nothing. Not that I know anything about that.😉

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like your goals. I also like how you've thought through what you are really  going  to accomplish.  Sometimes we have to set aside one interest goal, and focus on another.

Thanks! It wasn't exactly an easy decision because I felt like I should be learning piano more regularly. But just from a practical standpoint, it made more sense to focus on coding for the time being.

12 hours ago, Chesire said:

go get that scooping done

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

• Like 1

image.png.7d549d9d33162e68f9d58a19080e6b59.png

Update for today:

Did not wake up at 7 am or earlier. Actually woke up at around 7:10. Did get the French practice in though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chesire said:

I don't know how to feel that I can hear that clip

Like you can hear it through your speakers or like you can hear it in your mind?

4 hours ago, Chesire said:

In my mind

I had to make sure. I'd been fighting strange behavior from computers all morning, so I was fully expecting to do something innocuous to cause strange sounds to come out for real.

(Can I also just say that Ren and Stimpy was legit an awesome cartoon? Cause it totes was.)

• Haha 1

Lifts done. 

image.png.1662a04801cb4b56142a7c177ff4b377.png

(and recorded on the correct date this time.)

image.png.bf460b1f3052420f80b3ab00ea71125e.png

Today's update:

Had thunderstorms last night, which meant that one of our dogs was trying to crawl onto my head / stick his tongue in my eyeball last night (because OMG BOOMIES!). 

Ergo I didn't get much sleep ergo my wake up time was 7:15 and not 7:00. 

Oh well. Least it's almost the weekend.

• Like 2

Update for today and yesterday:

image.png.46b8ab0c911fc252af7f1aee87007299.png

Decided to include both the "yesses" and the "no's." But both have been minimized because brevity.

-Did not wake up at 7 am either today or yesterday. Today was because I stayed up late last night doing coding things. Yesterday was because...I'm not sure why, but I just didn't.

-Didn't get my French lessons in yesterday, either, so that's going to get handled today.

We did (me and Mrs. Keys) get a lot done, yard-work-wise, so I think it balances out. Also finally got around to washing the truck, so my vehicle's color is now recognizable as dark green (as opposed to black). Yeah...it's been needing a washing for a hot minute there.

And got a couple of sundry items to get around to at some point as well. Plus, I might take the kayak out to do some paddling practice. And this evening-lifts.

• Like 1

Kayaking did not work out today because an anxiety thing happened. Not fear of water. Oh no, that would be reasonable anxiety. No, this was my having anxiety that someone would tow my truck while I was gone because I wasn't able to pay for a parking pass because the machine wasn't taking my card. The "high theft area" signs all over the place didn't help, either.

FYI to everyone I've spoken to about this: "Oh, that won't happen" spoken dismissively is not, in my opinion, an appropriate way to respond. 

• Like 1

I am parachuting in here because you commented on my challenge and I was curious about what you were up to (you should update your current challenge link, btw! it directed me to an old one), and then when I arrived I saw you learning French, keeping a budget, and using a cool task tracker and then I had to stay. What app is that, btw? Not the self-built lifts-monitoring one, but the other one.

What motivates you to learn French? I'm a native English speaker, but I love the French language (and language learning in general) and have learned it to a ~C1 level with a combination of schooling and self-study, and I continue to work on improving my skills in a variety of ways. If you want someone to practice with or just want to geek out about it, I'm here!

Sorry to hear that anxiety interfered with your kayaking plans, but I don't think anxiety about theft/towing is any more or less rational than anxiety about water. And towing and theft are both very much possible! Sorry that people were dismissive of your concerns. A lot of people think that saying, "Oh that won't happen" will help people relax, because perhaps they themselves use that sort of (illogical, hope-based) assumption that something bad definitely won't happen in order to avoid worrying about it. For other people, including me, the best way to avoid worrying about something is to acknowledge that it's possible, weigh the likelihood, and then choose to either accept the risk or adjust the plan accordingly. Often, just knowing what I would do in the case of an unlikely but very negative event helps me let go of anxiety about it. So, for example, if I knew that it were possible to get a ride to the impound and pay to get my car back if it were towed, it might help me decide whether to risk it and go kayaking. Conversely, if I were strapped for cash and/or had no convenient way to get home or to the impound, I might decide not to risk it. Maybe I'm the weirdo, but hey, it works for me.

Anyway, your challenge is great and I wish you good luck! I'll be following along. Oh, and FWIW, self-taught React knowledge recently helped a friend of mine get a new job that doubled his salary. Seems like a very in-demand skill set atm.

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
2 hours ago, Severine said:

(you should update your current challenge link, btw!

Hmm...I should get around to that at some point yes...

The app is Click Up. It's got its issues, but it's super customizable and only costs me $5 a month, so I keep it around. Sometimes the loading gets a little clunky and the interface can be a touch unwieldy at times.

What motivates you to learn French? I'm a native English speaker, but I love the French language (and language learning in general)

The French is motivated by my wife and I going on an impromptu trip to France next spring. Our fifth anniversary was coming up, I hadn't gotten her anything yet, she found some affordable tickets on her flight booking app, and I said "Bingo. There's my anniversary present." I expect that knowing the local language may come in handy.

Sorry to hear that anxiety interfered with your kayaking plans, but I don't think anxiety about theft/towing is any more or less rational than anxiety about water. And towing and theft are both very much possible! Sorry that people were dismissive of your concerns. A lot of people think that saying, "Oh that won't happen" will help people relax, because perhaps they themselves use that sort of (illogical, hope-based) assumption that something bad definitely won't happen in order to avoid worrying about it.

The day turned out all right in the end. I think there was definitely a part of my subconscious that just wasn't feeling like taking the thing out. But I got some hang out time with my buddy across town. For what it's worth, no one said that to me this go-round, but it's been said before when I get in my head so I was steeling myself for it. 

In a lot of ways, I think I'm still at the early stages of exploring this thing that I believe is called "anxiety." It hasn't been long since I've been able to recognize that's what's going on--prior to that, I would just get wrapped up in my thoughts and register it as "I don't like the things happening in my brain and I don't know how to respond." But someone wise once said "A problem well understood is a problem half solved."

FWIW, self-taught React knowledge recently helped a friend of mine get a new job that doubled his salary. Seems like a very in-demand skill set atm.

It's been a lot of fun. Certainly pretty addicting, and I'm taking to it more than python which was my first attempt at a language. That lift tracker I'm using now isn't built in React, but at some point, I intend to move it over. Final project, if I can get to where I'm confident in my knowledge, is to build my own budgeting application to replace my current system.

• Like 1

image.png.d0b8d987c0bfcdd0a2688711834ac6a3.png

Rundown for today. Did not get my lifts in yesterday, so I'm moving those to this afternoon. I did manage to get up before 7 am, though, so that's a win. I also got back to the French lessons. 

Today's going to be a busy day for me. Various meetings all over the place. Need to take puppies to the vet. I've got a dentist appointment. Etc etc. Not to mention, we're drawing close to period end for a ton of client reports.

• Like 1

Lifts done.

image.png.664cc1219c148032dcc384766a8fda22.png

And I failed a few reps on the OHP, which  I take as a good thing as it means I've hit my strength threshold. The next time I am able to bump the weight up will mean that I've gotten measurably stronger.

• Like 1

image.png.a6191ba0c0510a464694bf26262b4a8b.png

The rundown for today. It's entirely likely that I might not make that home depot run today, but we'll see. Due to all of the running around yesterday, I wasn't able to get as much work done, so today's my day to get caught up on all of that stuff.

(and I just finished updating the budget, so we can mark that one off).

• Like 1

image.png.3c69153fa816b742d4bdabcab18528eb.png

Did not wake up at 7 am today due to lack of sleep from snoring spouse and from puppy who likes to sleep in the middle of us and sometimes digs his claws into my back.

Coming downstairs to continue searching for a solution to fix this React app I've been practicing with from 12 to 1 probably didn't help, either.

Here's the issue in a nutshell (Using spoiler tags to hide the technobabble.)

Spoiler

I used a tutorial I found on YouTube to build a MERN stack that was from 2018. So it's using an older version of a lot of stuff. I did fine right up until the end when he had me building the edit route. This involves passing some data from the URL to the application, but because he's using this older react version and there were some huge changes going from React Router 5 to React Router 6, his method no longer works. He's using Class Components instead of Functional components, and I can't really find anything on how to update this code using class components. I'd rather not use Functional components since that's not what I learned. So I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

In the end, I'm probably just going to say to hell with it and rebuild the thing using a Functional component. But I'm still a little salty that I did all that work for nothing.

Lifts are today. 

And I really ought to get that stuff with my wife's gym cancellation sorted out (She doesn't want to go anymore because she didn't like the place, but she also isn't big on filling out forms.)

• Like 1

Lifts done:

image.png.e56c419d91b0ce684150fb8573fa9f64.png

Failed all three sets on inverted row. Good. Means I can start seeing how strong I get with that one, too.

Today, one of my managers / also my coach at work made an awkward joke when asking me to help out with an administrative task (one which, I did my level best to make clear that there's a lot of complications involved and that I wasn't sure his time estimate was realistic given my understanding of the task). I am 85% sure that he was mostly joking when he said "I could always order you to do it, but that would be counterproductive" [yes. it would be highly counter-productive, my dude.]

I mean, this guy isn't the best communicator at the best of times. I do think it's a case of him winning the there-are-some-things-you-just-don't-fucking-joke-about-with-Keys lottery. And I need to take a moment to consider how the conversation with this person who, I genuinely believe, has his heart in the right place but just says weapons-grade stupid shit sometimes, should go down. There's no need to obliterate any relationships nor my career over a casual slip of the tongue. But I think a chat needs to be had so that we can hash out the finer points of effective vs. ineffective leadership strategies.

BUT rage is a great workout motivator, and I think it helped make today's workouts a little bit more pleasant. :)

Blaring Cro-Mags out of my cell phone speakers also helped add to the pleasantness of today's lifts.

• Like 2

Today I learned: Turns out that simply re-loading an earlier build of react-router-dom was all I needed to do to fix my issues with the application. Like it didn't occur to me until sometime this afternoon that that was even an option.

Okay then. Now the application I built with that training video works I guess. So yeah...

I'm tired of coding. Piano is easier. At least the sheet music doesn't change right out from under you.

• Like 2

image.png.fcd1311889f9f862629ebb3e92223693.png

Update for today. Did not make 7 am wake-up this morning.

• Like 1

image.png.b1c07e099dfc006a048333d2b7e9d2bf.png

Again, did not make the 7 am wake up time (was more like 7:08). I think this was mostly due to staying up later than I should playing Valheim last night (but I got that dock looking pretty nice tho, so). 

I feel like I'm coming to an inflection point with some of the irons I've got in the fire. Work is starting to ease up a little bit--enough to give me some breathing space at least. I knocked loose one of my biggest sticking points with React (getting that app from that YouTube tutorial to work). I'm (more or less) getting up at a consistent time each morning and (more or less) going to bed at a consistent time each night. 

All that to say that I'm not feeling the intense drive to just work work work work work right now. Right now, what I'm feeling is the urge to spend time outside, do some physical things, do some right brain things, etc. Might take the kayak out this weekend (hopefully, it'll go better than last weekend). 

• Like 1