forge_278.jpg

SYRRAN: [My name is] Arev.

T'POL: That means 'desert wind'.

SYRRAN: Does it. Why are you here?

ARCHER: We could ask you the same thing.

SYRRAN: I follow the path of Surak in meditation and study.

Challenge goals:

• Walk
  • Meditate
  • Study
  • Train traditional Vulcan arts

Walking is, well, walking. But I'm going to add some light exposure goals, stolen from Andrew Huberman. He says they're the one important thing to do, so on the list they go. Blackout from 11pm-4am, and sunlight early in the day.

Vulcan_2137.jpg

Meditation, I will technically count anything, but I'll mostly be using Plum Village's pebble meditation, minus the pebbles, and possibly plus swords. I think that's a set of metaphors that Vulcan could go for. They're big into religiously significant mountains, and, like, water, and space and stuff. Maybe I'll add some rest tracking.

tumblr_inline_ng7fsrY9KM1qcc1sf.gif 103ee4cad0c143930e051167d75f70437bc66b7a

Studying for challenge purposes will be mindset stuff, encompassing Zen, martial arts, and ADHD. Also I have a book that I want to go through that should fit in there, sorta. I'm keeping a reminder for the dopamine increment habit, because it's not quite sticking yet.

Vulcan-Atheneum.jpg

Martial arts is sort of limited, since I cannot study space naginata.

il_794xN.2099850067_9svl.jpg

Even aikido is not really available locally. Heck, even other stuff is a little hard to come by. So we'll work on strength and mobility.

star-trek-discovery-vulcan-martial-arts.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Those pictures contain a lot of weapons for a supposedly pacifist planet, don't they?" Yes. Yes, they do. We're not falling into the soft Zen trap this challenge.

The Needs of the One  Mon   Tue   Wed   Thu   Fri   Sat   Sun   Week 1   Week 2   Week 3   Week 4   Week 5   Total 
Walk                          
Evening Blackout                          
Morning Sun                          
Meditate                          
Take a rest break                          
Sleep deficit < 7h                          
Study                          
Dopamine Increments                          
Strength                          
Mobility                          
Week 1                          
Week 2                          
Week 3                          
Week 4                          
Week 5                          
Total                          

• Like 9

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

ADHD Tasks:

Spoiler

Summary:

• Exercise that stimulates the cerebellum, like balance (See, I should be doing aikido)
  • Coaching
  • Pick the right career and domestic partner, which is pretty damned vague
  • Look at your ADHD via a strength-based lens
  • Find a creative outlet

• Exercise
  • Non‐covid-filled touch

Action Items:

1. Figure out a way to balance twice a day?  I guess, man.
  2. Test the coaching-related service I'm considering subscribing to.
  3. Look at my ADHD via a strength-based lens.
  4. Reconsider my career or something. How do people do this, guys? This is not a real action plan. But I figure I should look at my strengths first.
  5. Make a list of desired features for new domestic situation.
  6. Sign up with Stabbr, the dating app for sword fetishists.
  7. Schedule doing reative things more.
  8. Exercise. (On the list already.)
  • Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Improve Work Efficiency Tasks:

Spoiler
  1. Start big tasks the end of the day
  2. Start with the hardest task first.
  3. If it takes two minutes, do it now. Contraindicated for ADHD reasons.
  4. If it's daunting, just do five minutes.
  5. Try a switch in scenery to get out of ruts.
  6. Leave things where you work to make you return to the task.
  7. Reframe the activity as something fun.
  8. Go for a walk.

Action Items:

1. Print a copy and stick it in my work planner.
  2. Test it.
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:16 PM, sarakingdom said:
  1. Reconsider my career or something. How do people do this, guys? This is not a real action plan. But I figure I should look at my strengths first.

No freaking clue. Looking at your strengths is a good start. The next logical thing for me would be thinking about what you don't like in a job and what you want your future job to look like. Do you want a Mon-Friday 9-5 job. Do you want a job where you are at a desk all day. etc. I would probably also do a quick budget/figure out how much I would need to make to cover my life. I feel its frowned upon to base a job on salary lol but my hobby is expensive so I would need to make sure my job could cover my basic expenses + hobby.

After those I would probably do a few career quizzes to see what comes up.

That being said I haven't switched careers before... I have thought about it but at the end of the day my dream job is being retired or lottery winner :P

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Nice challenge goals!

On 7/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, sarakingdom said:

Action Items:

1. Figure out a way to balance twice a day?  I guess, man.
  2. Test the coaching-related service I'm considering subscribing to.
  3. Look at my ADHD via a strength-based lens.
  4. Reconsider my career or something. How do people do this, guys? This is not a real action plan. But I figure I should look at my strengths first.
  5. Make a list of desired features for new domestic situation.
  6. Sign up with Stabbr, the dating app for sword fetishists.
  7. Schedule doing reative things more.
  8. Exercise. (On the list already.)

I can help on some of these.

1) My PT recommended doing "airplane" exercise for knee and hip stability. This is the same exercise I learned in yoga where you stand on one foot with the other leg stretched out straight back and your torso parallel to the ground. For the full PT, she wanted me to go from airplane to upright and do front leg extensions (like front kicks, but slow and with control) and back to airplane. All in sets without putting the moving foot on the ground. It is good core and balance practice.

For a simple balance practice that does not add extra time, brush your teeth while standing on one foot.

4) List the things you have experience at as if you were a Vulcan observer. Analysis of complex problems and selection of likely successful solutions. Creative use of materials to construct devices as needed. Ability to use computers for x, y and z. Maintains composure when faced with idiotic behavior. Able to turn substrate into food with an energy source of the appropriate spectrum. Ability to swim. Writes concise summaries of lectures and stories.

Make note on the list of things you enjoy doing and things no one could pay you enough to do again. Add another list of things you would like to try, given a chance. That will help you sort possible opportunities.

With the current state of the job market, "has a pulse, speaks the local language and is willing to show up" is all the qualification needed for a wide range of jobs. Being a decent human being with skills is frosting on the cake.

5. What is the timeframe for the change in your domestic situation?

6. If the app isn't giving you good options, go to an aikido weapons seminar.

• Like 2

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

18 minutes ago, Mistr said:

1) My PT recommended doing "airplane" exercise for knee and hip stability. This is the same exercise I learned in yoga where you stand on one foot with the other leg stretched out straight back and your torso parallel to the ground.

Oh, nice! All I could think of was, like, mountain pose or something, which is basically just standing on one leg. And it's fine, but not exciting.

19 minutes ago, Mistr said:

4) List the things you have experience at as if you were a Vulcan observer.

The really tricky part, aside from getting past a ton of imposter syndrome, is figuring out what specifically is a good fit with various ADHD issues. Partly this is because I'm still working put what those things are myself.

23 minutes ago, Mistr said:

5. What is the timeframe for the change in your domestic situation?

Flexible. I need to get a little more strategic about it. It's something that makes a big difference to my general mental health, so I should be less laissez faire about my options. It's also a lot of moving parts and things that are still up in the air, so I know why no major decisions are getting made, but I should at least figure out what I need and what I want, and if there are interim modifications that would be useful.

29 minutes ago, Mistr said:

6. If the app isn't giving you good options, go to an aikido weapons seminar.

I'd like to, though I don't know if it's practical right now. (Apart from all the proximity and logistical reasons, I've just been off the mat far too long to jump back in like that. It wouldn't come back in time.) I don't even recall the hakama hanky code for things like "single and looking for someone to hit with a practice sword". That's why I'm counting on Stabbr to come through for me. I can slash left on their profile or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:30 PM, sarakingdom said:

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Those pictures contain a lot of weapons for a supposedly pacifist planet, don't they?" 

No, actually, I was thinking, "that space naginata looks like a poorly designed shovel".

On 7/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, sarakingdom said:
  • Reconsider my career or something. How do people do this, guys? This is not a real action plan. But I figure I should look at my strengths first.

Well, no, that's a goal, or possibly a project statement of some kind... and my trainer brain is kicking into needs analysis mode, which means my starting point is to look at what's wrong with your current career that makes you want to reconsider it. From then, determine what needs to happen to right those wrongs, and what is preventing it from happening. Start big and narrow it down, basically. 

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

13 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

No, actually, I was thinking, "that space naginata looks like a poorly designed shovel".

I have reservations about a heavy weight opposite the blade. Sure, you want to say it's counterbalance or a useful crushing surface, but honestly I suspect it'd just gratuitously tire out the user with absolutely minimal martial benefit. That does not seem like it was designed by anyone who actually uses pole weapons. "I know! Let's stick fifty pounds of steel on one end for funsies," said no one ever.

(Or maybe it's hollow, in which case, what the fuck is that? Distributing blunt force trauma over that surface area without added weight behind it seems less effective, because the force per square inch is going to decrease, surely.)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I have reservations about a heavy weight opposite the blade. Sure, you want to say it's counterbalance or a useful crushing surface, but honestly I suspect it'd just gratuitously tire out the user with absolutely minimal martial benefit. That does not seem like it was designed by anyone who actually uses pole weapons. "I know! Let's stick fifty pounds of steel on one end for funsies," said no one ever.

(Or maybe it's hollow, in which case, what the fuck is that? Distributing blunt force trauma over that surface area without added weight behind it seems less effective, because the force per square inch is going to decrease, surely.)

That's a Terran-Centric viewpoint. Remember these weapons were designed by Vulcans who are far stronger (and possibly have more endurance) than humans. For them it might not be too heavy.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's a Terran-Centric viewpoint. Remember these weapons were designed by Vulcans who are far stronger (and possibly have more endurance) than humans. For them it might not be too heavy.

I pondered that reasoning, and will certainly accept it as rational sci-fi handwaving, but I'm unconvinced about the real world logic of it. There are plenty of stupidly heavy earth weapons that only the strong can use. And also light ones. The thing is, none of them, light or heavy, add extra weight that is not essential to function, even as a supposed counterbalance or whatever, so because extra weight is by definition a resource drain. And that thing on the end has no use that I can see. An added centripetal force makes no sense; it'd drive the user's hands into their own curved blade. A large point of impact makes very little sense; the surface area reduces the force of contact, not increases it. (It's like using a snowshoe instead of a stiletto heel. It may hurt like crap, but it's less likely to injure. Even if it were like some sort of sledgehammer head, sledgehammer heads are small to concentrate force.) As an actual counterbalance, I suspect it'd throw off the balance rather than assist it; it's balancing a very thin blade with a very heavy end, and that'd push the pivot point of the weapon to the very end of the shaft or beyond. I think it'd prevent an easy pivot rather than help it. It's very well balanced halfway or slightly past halfway down the shaft without the weight.

I think my best handwavium is that it wasn't originally designed for Vulcan on Vulcan combat, but to fight giant wild sehlats with an oversized slashy blade on one end and a hammer sized to drive the surface area of some piece of their anatomy on the other. It's not my best explanation, cuz we dealt with our megafauna with dinky little spears to maximise our endurance, keep our distance, and concentrate the impact of the force behind our weapon, but a civilization that has stone arenas for violent sports may have moved on to very ritualised ways of killing things, or possibly just slashing and concussing them into submission for use as comedy pets.

• Like 4

On 7/13/2022 at 1:16 AM, sarakingdom said:
  • Reconsider my career or something. How do people do this, guys? This is not a real action plan. But I figure I should look at my strengths first.

I have no clue but I really, really want the answer to this too... 😄 Looking through the strength lens is as good as any places to start, but it can come with A LOT of traps.

1. Your strengths most likely like in areas where you'll have the most XP. Which is most likely in the job you have now.... It's kinda easy to get stuck in this roundabout.
2. As you already mentioned, impostor syndrome...
3. You might have a huge strength potential that never got challenged simply because you've never tried it.

4. Or, what you might think is a weakness might be a strength in the right context. Like I thought I'd be a garbage lead because I can't organize my life for shit. And yet organizing people turns out is not a problem. (Well as long as nobody butts in or forces me to make spreadsheets and timelines!) And what I see as repeating myself 3 times because I got lost in tangents and can't remember if I said it in my head or out loud is apparently seen as clear communication. 🤯 Maybe you have better self awareness but I realized I'm a terrible judge of how other people see me. 😛 And I wouldn't be surprised if your ADHD has planted even more gremlins over the years.

It could be an interesting experiment though to guess your strengths but then ask for feedback from a couple of different people to see if it adds up. 🤔 Negative feedback is super useful too, because it might not at all be what you think. It's more difficult to get good negative feedback though.

Having said all that, I'm clearly the worst at this as I've been having a career/life crisis for half my adult life so obviously take everything with a bucket of salt. 😅 

The one method/website that resonated with me is this one https://www.careershifters.org/ Their approach is very active, interviewing people, a lot of exploring and taking detours, doing mini projects and internships... I haven't been in the headspace to actually do anything about it, but it makes a lot more sense to me than the classical career advice. Changing career as an adult often comes with a huge opportunity cost so this small scale experimental approach seems logical. Uncomfortable, but logical. I say uncomfortable because it's designed for action and not overthinking and that's the worst.

The others have raised really good points too, knowing how you want to work and what you like and dislike might provide a good jumping off point. And if you ever get jealous of somebody else's career or lifestyle it can be worth dissecting further to find out exactly which aspects are appealing. 

• Like 5

This is gonna be a real zero week for me, cuz I'm traveling, I'm a little sick (mostly holding it off, but), my sleep deficit is ridiculous, and it's stupidly hot.

The heat is a total mess. Days that are not that grueling are just wrecking people. (They did not initially believe me when I said how much water per day we should be taking with us, even before the heat. They do now.) Even going slow and hydrating, it feels like we're pushing twice as hard as we are, or more. I had a sick day Sunday, did two normal days, slept well, was aiming for a slow afternoon of stuff, and then just hit a wall. So I'm hydrating and resting.

• Like 6

On 7/26/2022 at 1:41 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Well, no, that's a goal, or possibly a project statement of some kind... and my trainer brain is kicking into needs analysis mode, which means my starting point is to look at what's wrong with your current career that makes you want to reconsider it. From then, determine what needs to happen to right those wrongs, and what is preventing it from happening. Start big and narrow it down, basically. 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:05 AM, sarakingdom said:

On 7/26/2022 at 2:57 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad we're discussing this, because I, too, had reservations about the shape.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:17 AM, sarakingdom said:

I pondered that reasoning, and will certainly accept it as rational sci-fi handwaving, but I'm unconvinced about the real world logic of it. There are plenty of stupidly heavy earth weapons that only the strong can use. And also light ones. The thing is, none of them, light or heavy, add extra weight that is not essential to function, even as a supposed counterbalance or whatever, so because extra weight is by definition a resource drain. And that thing on the end has no use that I can see. An added centripetal force makes no sense; it'd drive the user's hands into their own curved blade. A large point of impact makes very little sense; the surface area reduces the force of contact, not increases it. (It's like using a snowshoe instead of a stiletto heel. It may hurt like crap, but it's less likely to injure. Even if it were like some sort of sledgehammer head, sledgehammer heads are small to concentrate force.) As an actual counterbalance, I suspect it'd throw off the balance rather than assist it; it's balancing a very thin blade with a very heavy end, and that'd push the pivot point of the weapon to the very end of the shaft or beyond. I think it'd prevent an easy pivot rather than help it. It's very well balanced halfway or slightly past halfway down the shaft without the weight.

I feel that a heavy weight on a stick is fine: mace (although the shape is a bit odd). And a fine pointy bladed stick is fine: spear. But the combination is unconvincing. As a spear, the heavy weight would slow you down and throw you off, and as a mace, the bladed end would be insecure to grip. The only thing I can think of is that it is a tool, first, and a ceremonial weapon second. What kind of tool? Well maybe it's for digging crabs out of the dessert sand and smashing them. But honestly, a plain shovel would be better. Unless the crabs are very hard and you need extra super smashing power. Then you might be willing to put up with extra weight on the other end of your sand digging tool. Or maybe it is deliberately designed to slow down the digging, to give the crabs a fighting chance. Maybe it's deliberately non optimal.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

So, non-Trekkie here, but as someone who's studied his own rationality for a while, it may be reasonable to conclude that we're expecting too much of them.

Even the most rational person has places and times where they aren't rational. And to my knowledge, the weapon in question is used in situations where Vulcans are experiencing a breakdown in their rationality. In which case, perhaps the irrationality of the weapon is actually intentional, a kind of symbolic representation of a break from logic.

Of course, I don't know the canon, and if this is something like a bat'leth or something that sees more than ceremonial use, then this is not a useful hypothesis. Still.

• Like 4
On 7/25/2022 at 4:41 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Looking at the weapon, what comes to mind is the following conversation:

Director:  I need a dueling weapon, mean looking but small enough we we can get some tight framed shots of Leonard, I mean Spock, looking pissed while smacking Kirk around.  *turning to shout towards the writer table* Hey Gene, do Vulcans even get pissed?  .....What? What's that?.....  Only when needing to get lai.... Geeze, really, Gene?  Really?  *turning back to the prop guy*   Did you hear that, Dan?  I mean, really.  Ok, ok, Well, we still need a short range weapon that looks mean, and no prissy swords.  He's a Vulcan, not Erroll Flynn.  Slash, slash, smack kind of thing. 

Prop Guy Dan (former Marine):  Ok boss, I'll have something later today.   *comes back with an old pugil stick with a rounded spade on one end, some kind of ball head on the other*  Will this work? 

Director:  Hmmm...pain the spade silver, and make that ball end huge, make it look heavy.  Aren't Vulcan's supposed to be stronger than people?  Paint that silver, too.  Yeah...slash, slash, smack, bang, Kirk goes flying! It'll be great!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

non-Trekkie here,

That statement is completely undermined by this part:

40 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Hey Gene, do Vulcans even get pissed?  .....What? What's that?.....  Only when needing to get lai.... Geeze, really, Gene?

• Haha 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

The only thing I can think of is that it is a tool, first, and a ceremonial weapon second. What kind of tool? Well maybe it's for digging crabs out of the dessert sand and smashing them. But honestly, a plain shovel would be better. Unless the crabs are very hard and you need extra super smashing power. Then you might be willing to put up with extra weight on the other end of your sand digging tool. Or maybe it is deliberately designed to slow down the digging, to give the crabs a fighting chance. Maybe it's deliberately non optimal.

It must be deliberately non-optimal in some way. Either to limit the damage done by the smashy end, or... you know, I wonder if it's shaped like that to give the rubber truncheon effect. Very painful, maybe a lot of internal damage, but nothing that's gonna end your fight too efficiently. The slashy end, fine, slash slash whatever. But the smashy end must be there to really fuck a dude up without injuring him enough to end the fight. (And in fact, even the slashy side is shaped for superficial damage, not deep spearing. It's painful and a slow bleeding out, maybe a cutting of hamstrings to maim, unless you cut the neck directly. It's a weapon designed to injure and slowly incapacitate, not to kill. Which honestly kind of fits its use.)

4 hours ago, Kishi said:

Even the most rational person has places and times where they aren't rational. And to my knowledge, the weapon in question is used in situations where Vulcans are experiencing a breakdown in their rationality. In which case, perhaps the irrationality of the weapon is actually intentional, a kind of symbolic representation of a break from logic.

Of course, I don't know the canon, and if this is something like a bat'leth or something that sees more than ceremonial use, then this is not a useful hypothesis. Still.

As far as I can tell, it has only this ceremonial use in canon. Elsewhere they use non-lethal (or preferably non-lethal) martial arts. They're big on not killing, except in the deliberately primitive circumstances where this weapon is used, where the killing is both traditional and mandatory. And it's circumstances where I would utterly believe a deliberate brutality over efficiency. Canon kind of hints that's what they were back then. It may be made for torturing, not efficient combat. I mean, the dude dies and all, but people need a show and the winner needs to show off who's the baddest warlord in the ring.

38 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Looking at the weapon, what comes to mind is the following conversation:

Director:  I need a dueling weapon, mean looking but small enough we we can get some tight framed shots of Leonard, I mean Spock, looking pissed while smacking Kirk around.  *turning to shout towards the writer table* Hey Gene, do Vulcans even get pissed?  .....What? What's that?.....  Only when needing to get lai.... Geeze, really, Gene?  Really?  *turning back to the prop guy*   Did you hear that, Dan?  I mean, really.  Ok, ok, Well, we still need a short range weapon that looks mean, and no prissy swords.  He's a Vulcan, not Erroll Flynn.  Slash, slash, smack kind of thing. 

Prop Guy Dan (former Marine):  Ok boss, I'll have something later today.   *comes back with an old pugil stick with a rounded spade on one end, some kind of ball head on the other*  Will this work? 

Director:  Hmmm...pain the spade silver, and make that ball end huge, make it look heavy.  Aren't Vulcan's supposed to be stronger than people?  Paint that silver, too.  Yeah...slash, slash, smack, bang, Kirk goes flying! It'll be great!

I mean, the reality is definitely this, right down to the side-eye of Roddenberry. :D

It's definitely designed for tight shots. Just looking at the thing, there's no way it's long enough for what they're doing with it. You just can't get homoerotic wrestling shots with nipple-baring wardrobe malfunction from a longer weapon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I hope you have found a cool place to nap in the shade. I am sorry your travelling companions had unrealistic expectations. That can lead to a lot of unnecessary stress on a trip.

My traveling companions (at least the ones I had most responsibility for) have a long history of utter irrationality around issues like observing sensible physical limits that allow one to accomplish more, versus burning out. But it was mostly manageable through sheer numbers. It was just the days I had 'em to myself and was also fighting off something that were rough.

I at least convinced them successfully of the basic need for 2-3 liters of water on those hot days. They're not regular hydrators, and were all, "pshaw, our usual three glasses of water a day are plenty". They honestly thought my baseline of two liters a day per person was silly rather than standard, and did not even listen to the "and more because it's so hot". But they learned fast. I packed everyone out with a liter each and refills in the car, and we were still going through liter after liter at every meal. Like, guys, this heat is a shit show. You cannot walk 8-10 miles a day in 40C/100F without a huge water supply.

And I learned that I simply need to carry salt in summer. I sweat out a lot of salt in hot weather, and it messes with my muscles. (I wear a lot of black, and it ends up with a fine layer of white salt dust all over it.)

• Like 4

I am home where the thermometer says it is cooler, but the humidity says it is far worse. I should probably be in bed, but I need food. It's been a day. So I'm trying to fill the house with cool air, and I ordered some groceries so we can at least do coffee tomorrow, and I can deliver some more garlic and vitamin C, and I’ve got a meal tonight. I'll do one more day of juice till this runs out, then get off the carbs.

The garlic regimen seems to have helped somewhat. I was pretty good for two days, albeit really wrecked by heat and exertion. Hit a slight wall (also less garlic), developed a cough, and seem to now be at the "ejecting all the mucus" tail end phase of the cough in under 24 hours. I am looking forward to a lot of sleep, though. And more garlic.

My ears have still not unblocked from the plane. It kinda sucks.

Food time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

You cannot walk 8-10 miles a day in 40C/100F without a huge water supply.

I'm glad your travel companions finally listened to reason (=you) and begun hydrating properly. I hope they won't suffer any lasting damage from the heat. And while I hope that for you as well, I am not nearly as worried about you, since you understand the value of hydration and electrolytes. 

Eat and sleep and take care of your body, because it has carried you through this heat and braved every indignity in order to keep you upright. And I feel your pain on the mucus ejection phase and I do hope it ends soon and efficiently.

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm glad your travel companions finally listened to reason (=you) and begun hydrating properly. I hope they won't suffer any lasting damage from the heat.

Nothing lasting. I had those days nearly well planned, they just relied a little on "make sensible choices on pace and taking breaks for hydration and rest", and there came a point in the day where there was no longer democratic buy-in for that. After the first day, I made sure the second was pared down, the walking much shorter, the water supply we carried with us was doubled, and a lot of the rest was enforced by the structure of the day, so there was a lot less room for stupidity. But man, it was much easier when I had other people (who also respect the value of hydration) to pull aside and go, "we've gotta pace these guys, what do you say we make these stops".

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And I feel your pain on the mucus ejection phase and I do hope it ends soon and efficiently.

So gross, yet so weirdly satisfying. I just don't know where it all came from, because there was no sign of it when I was in the earlier days.

• Like 4