Hi,

I'm looking for an android app that will track distance walked, not just steps, and doesn't require/give any information regarding body weight or calories consumed/burned. I'm wanting to improve my health and that stuff isn't conducive to good mental health for me! I've looked but I can't find any that fit the criteria that don't use other apps that ask that info (like Google fit).

Thank you in advance for your help ❤

It sounds like you are looking for an app that turns your phone into a pedometer? There is one called Pedometer on Android (the app avatar is a blue square with two white footsteps), that won't ask for any information about your body or food, it just counts steps. It does run in the background non-stop, so it will use battery faster than if you wear a pedometer, but it might be a good fit. 

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

It sounds like you are looking for an app that turns your phone into a pedometer? There is one called Pedometer on Android (the app avatar is a blue square with two white footsteps), that won't ask for any information about your body or food, it just counts steps. It does run in the background non-stop, so it will use battery faster than if you wear a pedometer, but it might be a good fit. 

Hi thank you for the reply, but sorry I'm looking for distance, like miles/km, not steps. Thanks though!

10 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you have a Samsung phone, the Samsung Health app that should come pre-loaded on the phone will, if you have it turned on and keep it in a hip pocket, both count steps and measure distance walked.

Hi, thank you for the help but it also counts calories and there isn't an option (on my phone at least) to turn it off.

45 minutes ago, bibliophile394 said:

Hi thank you for the reply, but sorry I'm looking for distance, like miles/km, not steps. Thanks though!

If you look up the app the screenshots will show you distance in miles, along with the step count ;) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Clearly I missed that. How rude of it. I'm assuming the app won't let you turn off the calorie counter?

A traditional pedometer device might be a good option for you, if you can't find an app. A lot of these will show distance, and don't count calories.

16 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Clearly I missed that. How rude of it. I'm assuming the app won't let you turn off the calorie counter?

A traditional pedometer device might be a good option for you, if you can't find an app. A lot of these will show distance, and don't count calories.

It won't unfortunately no. I might have to do some searching for a traditional one tomorrow-I was hoping one of the hundreds of free pedometer/fitness apps in the store would be what I needed, but I think I've checked them all now! Worth buying a GPS pedometer to get an accurate measurement and not have to look at all that weight/calorie BS :P I was worried I would forget to use one but I can always just fix it to my walking stick.