[Preamble]

Welcome to Owlshire, a beautiful woodland property in the Forest of Dean, England.  I’m a 42 year old American woman living here with my British husband (Mr) and young son (Enting). I work in gamedev and when I’m not doing that, I’m tending to my garden, doing needlework of some sort, writing, playing games (of various sorts), and exploring our local woodlands.

image.jpeg.a11ebee513324d5f432d46070a619702.jpeg

This challenge is one of liminal space. Many transitions are afoot over the next few weeks:

• I just received a promotion at work (yay!). However, this will necessitate more work travel through the remaining year, starting in September. 🛤 Once an Adventurer…
  • At the same time, Mr’s job is already picking up on travel - he’ll be away a few times during this challenge alone. So there will be much solo parenting for me! ✈️
  • The Enting is phasing out of nursery, and in September will start primary school. 😱  This will involve a major schedule/routine change on top of balancing traveling working parents! I’m already taking some steps on this, including a shift in my working hours. 

…Also, at the end of this challenge, I turn 43! 

[Challenges]
Organize (Level Up):

• I’m giving the 12 Week Year system another go, which I’ll probably start in Week 1 since I’m not quite ready to start now. I’ll aim for 80% success each week, reporting here.
  • Also keep using my Traveler’s Notebook to keep track of the day to day. 

Reach Mordor:
Finally finish my (tracked) journey to Mordor. I have 255.5 miles to go!

I've been hitting ~30 miles a week consistently for a while now. For this challenge, I want to get to 35 miles a week/average. (That's a daily goal of 5 miles a day, rather than 4 miles a day which had been my previous goal.)

Success requirement is 35 miles a week 80% of the time.

A Hobbit in Attitude, not in Width:

I have a long term plan to lose a few more lbs, but at the moment I’m happy to maintain! This is a pass/fail. 

Admin note: I always start on Week 0, and I track from Monday-Sunday.

• Like 6

“If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change. The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.”
— Grandpa's Letter from Stardew Valley

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Current Challenge: Stardew Valley

3 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I just received a promotion at work (yay!). However, this will necessitate more work travel through the remaining year, starting in September. 🛤 Once an Adventurer…

Congratulations!! Good luck balancing the travel and the parenting :) 

3 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

The Enting is phasing out of nursery, and in September will start primary school. 😱 

Already? Yikes, he's growing up fast!

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Congratulations on the promotion! Lots of change happening for you. I'm happy to be here reading about your adventures and cheering you on! 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, ApfelStrudi said:

How do you typically get your daily miles in?

I just use the total on my Fitbit at the end of the day - that said, walking from my (home) office to my kitchen a few times in the work day doesn’t cut it 🤣, so if I want to hit my 4-5 miles, I usually need to take a long walk at lunch (2-3 miles), or some shorter walks about. If I’m still lacking by evening, I do a loop around the house/garden after the Enting has gone to bed (it keeps me close enough to be aware of any issues) until I hit my goal.

So it takes a little effort to hit the goal, and I don’t manage it every day. But there was a time when I was barely managing 20 miles a week and now 30 miles is my norm, so I thought I’d see if I could take it a few more miles… there will come a point where I just haven’t the time for the mileage, but I don’t think I’m there yet. 

• Like 3

“If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change. The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.”

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

14 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I just use the total on my Fitbit at the end of the day - that said, walking from my (home) office to my kitchen a few times in the work day doesn’t cut it 🤣, so if I want to hit my 4-5 miles, I usually need to take a long walk at lunch (2-3 miles), or some shorter walks about. If I’m still lacking by evening, I do a loop around the house/garden after the Enting has gone to bed (it keeps me close enough to be aware of any issues) until I hit my goal.

So it takes a little effort to hit the goal, and I don’t manage it every day. But there was a time when I was barely managing 20 miles a week and now 30 miles is my norm, so I thought I’d see if I could take it a few more miles… there will come a point where I just haven’t the time for the mileage, but I don’t think I’m there yet. 

Love that! I recently installed a step tracker on my phone (I'm sure a fitbit is more accurate, but I don't have one) and even on days where I take a walk in the morning, lunch and evening I never seem to get a whole lot of steps/miles in (and def nowhere near the 10k steps per day floating around on tiktok). I'm gonna try to pay a bit closer attention to where I walk and how much walking vs "omg look a squirrel!" it actually is.

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

28 minutes ago, ApfelStrudi said:

Love that! I recently installed a step tracker on my phone (I'm sure a fitbit is more accurate, but I don't have one) and even on days where I take a walk in the morning, lunch and evening I never seem to get a whole lot of steps/miles in (and def nowhere near the 10k steps per day floating around on tiktok). I'm gonna try to pay a bit closer attention to where I walk and how much walking vs "omg look a squirrel!" it actually is.

I don’t have my phone on me at all times, whereas the Fitbit is on my wrist and just does the thing and uploads it to the app and I don’t have to think about it. That said, as to its accuracy, when Enting was a newborn and I was rocking/swaying him all the time, I sometimes hit 10k steps by 6AM! So methinks it’s sometimes not quite so accurate… but I can live with that for the convenience.

… also I must have done a LOT of rocking. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

On 7/25/2022 at 3:07 PM, Ann of Owlshire said:

… also I must have done a LOT of rocking. 

aint they hot george harrison GIF

Doesn't seem conducive to quieting a baby, but what do I know, I've never had kids.

Congrats on the promotion!

• Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Interested to hear how it goes with the 12 week year. I love the idea, and find a little success with it. But, as with all planners, struggle with the actual doing part of it.😉

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

How are things, Ann? Getting more miles in? 

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Week 0 Update]

Organize (Level Up):

• 12 Week Year - Uh… still trying to get all the model week and tactics and those shenanigans together. I think I have too many goals and need to slimline it. But still executing some of it. Hopefully I can sort this out by the end of Week 1. 
  • I’m still using my Traveler’s notebook daily, and have included a set of pages for work tracking/12 Week Year stuff as well. 

Week 0:  ???

Reach Mordor:
35.56/35 miles. I didn’t think getting that extra mile in a day was going to be that hard, but actually it’s quite a challenge and I find I have to plan my day around it!

220 miles to Mordor…

Week 0: 100%

• Like 4

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

It wouldn’t be a 5 Week Challenge if it didn’t get derailed by the family coming down sick… 🤣

We’re all down at the moment, so I may just scrap this week from scoring. 

• Sad 3

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

32 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

It wouldn’t be a 5 Week Challenge if it didn’t get derailed by the family coming down sick… 🤣

Oh boy. I hope you're all on the mend soon! 💜

On 8/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, Ann of Owlshire said:

Really sorry to hear this! Really hope it is not the dreaded plague that curses all these lands and is something you all recover from soon! 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Week 1

As mentioned in a previous post, early last week the family came down with a lurgy. It wasn’t Covid (again) but it’s been pretty awful none-the-less and I spent much of last week sacked on the sofa binge reading graphic novels and playing on my Switch. #nerdlife4ever

Scoring below for the record, but not going to factor it into my overall score:

Organize: No surprise that I didn’t start my 12 Week Year, but during some of my time on the sofa I did ruminate on my goals and decided I might be trying to do too much on my current plan so I’ll be revising it again… 

Walk to Mordor: 19/35 miles. 200 miles to left to Mordor (!).

Hobbit:  On the one bit of good news, when I hopped on the scale on Sunday, it indicated that I finally lost that bit of weight I gained while in America. This has motivated me to continue to try losing the few more lbs I wanted to get to 20 BMI.

The coming week:

So… still not fully recovered (although I’m back to work), and we’ve got another hot week on the books which would have been a challenge for my walks in itself since my walking time usually happens at the peak of the day. I’m not expecting to hit 35 miles this week, either, but I am going to try to push myself a little each day from my current state and get my stamina back up. Unless I decide after doing that that it’s a bad idea and I need to rest more. This will probably mostly happen in the form of trying to tame the weeds in my garden. It’s a jungle in there!

Organize will also not be a priority this week, outside of trying to keep the day to day from falling apart and trying to keep visibility on things that are currently being postponed but I need to remember to do when I’m feeling better. Maybe 12 Week Year starts next week?

• Like 4

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

I hope you're all recovered swiftly and completely! 

What are you playing on your Switch? I've been on an Animal Crossing kick again after not having played it in a few months. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss. I think having too many goals was why I burnt out with the 12 week goals. That's really just two challenges, plus two weeks. It seems like a long time but it's not. Interested to see how your goals go once you feel better

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, Sovalis said:

What are you playing on your Switch? I've been on an Animal Crossing kick again after not having played it in a few months. 

Primarily Cozy Grove ^_^ I did a bit of poking at Cat Cafe Manager, and I intermittently play Spiritfarer, except I’m stuck at the moment and even looking online I haven’t unstuck, but I’ll get there eventually.  I go weeks and months without picking up my Switch, as I also play a lot of mobile games in relation to work (we call it “competitive analysis”) and I like gaming of course, but my time to do it is limited and I need to prioritize ;) 

To make my life more complicated, I’ve also reserved a Steam Deck so I can get into PC games again. I much prefer handhelds and mobile for gaming. 

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think having too many goals was why I burnt out with the 12 week goals. That's really just two challenges, plus two weeks. It seems like a long time but it's not. Interested to see how your goals go once you feel better

12 weeks is a long time for me in terms of planning because there’s always a spanner in the works. (I sometimes tell the story of writing a very beautiful, decorated, and detailed plan out for the week in my Bujo and then before the ink was dry getting a phone call from my husband about something that basically just made me have to tear it out of the notebook - this is pretty much normal life at Owlshire.) That said, what I hope to get from  12 Week Year is a baseline, a track to come back to after the train has derailed (and again and again). Because it will.

This time around I’m using the 12 Week Year for Writers which is a more focused supplementary book. Despite that, I seem to have goals and tactics based around admin and exercise and a lot of other things. I used to do this with my NF threads, too, turn it into a place for my whole life. I’ve had to learn to slim that down, too, to mostly focus on health.

So I think I’m going to slim down the 12WY to just writing related tasks. My professional goals and my side project goals. And I’ll leave exercise here, and organization/admin is in the notebook, so that should take care of itself… right? 😂

All that said, one of the things I like about the 12WY is that it’s finite (I find a lot of people make goals like “do yoga every day” and don’t put an end date on it, which makes it more overwhelming. Like. “Now I must do yoga every day for the rest of my natural life or I’m a failure.”) Rather than “I’m going to try yoga daily for a 5 weeks and then evaluate.”  And the other thing is it reminds me of the quarter system I had in university where I was really focused on a couple of subjects for 10 weeks, and then got to move on to other things to be intense about.  I loved that part of academic life and I’’ve spent the nearly 20 years since my graduation failing to replicate it. 🤣

(I have also thought about changing the 12 Week Year to a different amount of weeks, which the original book discourages, but the Writer one says is cool.) 

• Like 3

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

11 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

12 weeks is a long time for me in terms of planning because there’s always a spanner in the works. (I sometimes tell the story of writing a very beautiful, decorated, and detailed plan out for the week in my Bujo and then before the ink was dry getting a phone call from my husband about something that basically just made me have to tear it out of the notebook - this is pretty much normal life at Owlshire.) That said, what I hope to get from  12 Week Year is a baseline, a track to come back to after the train has derailed (and again and again). Because it will.

Very good point. Yeah, that's the difficulty with far range plans, life always gets in the way. But, having a track to come back to is a very good point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Very good point. Yeah, that's the difficulty with far range plans, life always gets in the way. But, having a track to come back to is a very good point.

They do talk about an 80% success rate being enough to see a good result, so while I don’t recall them stating it explicitly, they don’t expect everything to go exactly to plan! 

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

7 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

They do talk about an 80% success rate being enough to see a good result, so while I don’t recall them stating it explicitly, they don’t expect everything to go exactly to plan! 

Somehow, I always forget about that. Yeah, I think they actually talked about it quite a bit, as I recall.

• Like 1

1.  Congrats on the promotion

2.  Enting is getting so big!!   

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

My current pondering is whether I should be focused on tending to the Shire, or accelerating progress to Mordor. IE, is the extra time better spent on my garden and grounds activities, or on walking? Both have benefits.

• Like 3

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳