Harriet's Year of Battle

The objective: to gain the mountain and obtain the precious treasures of lifting, writing, painting, walking, cooking and spirit work.
The enemies: fatigue, emotional resistance, distraction addiction, hopelessness

The weapons: axe of strength, sword of courage, staff of clarity, reflective shield

----

Fifth Skirmish: Another Stab at Meditation

All right. I am adjusting to the fact that I have limited forces and the best strategy is to take and hold small pieces of territory, not to declare war on entire continents, oceans, and outer space.

Reflective Shield: Meditate fifteen minutes
I want to build up a much longer and more consistent meditation practice, because there are evidence based reasons to think it can help with anxiety, fatigue, and brain fog. Fifteen minutes is long enough to see a nice effect, but not so long as to be intimidating. It should be done daily, first thing.

Staff of Clarity: Adjust the internet block

I promised myself I would free myself of internet addiction this year. I made a start last challenge with a two hour limit on my desktop, but that allows me too much leeway: I can check the internet, then turn it off, repeatedly and all day long. This keeps me in the distraction addiction state. So I will adjust the ban: internet after 7pm only, unless there is some administrative need.

Axe of Strength: Rest fifteen minutes

I am coming to terms with the fact that diet will likely not cure me. I am now turning my attention to pacing, which can be extremely and unpleasantly strict if done correctly. I can’t face that, so I am just going to create a tiny new habit: rest for fifteen minutes after walking, grocery shopping, or the gym instead of diving straight into computer, reading, etc. That’s it. For the gym, I will rest AT the gym after my workout, AND at home after walking back.

Sword of Courage: Letters from Source

I have begun a practice from The Artist’s Way that supposedly helps heal creative blocks and reduces resistance to creative practice. I will continue this. It just involves typing a page of whatever is on my mind, each morning. I call it letters from source. Maybe it will alert me to themes in my life that need attending to, or help me shed mental clutter, or put me in touch with deities or the miraculous source of nature. Who knows.

I will also try to get to the gym, of course, but I think my idea of increasing frequency to four or five days a week was outrageously stupid and born of denial. I’ll go three times, keep the volume even lower than I think it needs to be, and maybe use the sauna. I need a consistent habit before I can even think about increasing. And to get a consistent habit I need to stabilise the push-crash cycle which means not doing the stupid push bit.

• Like 15

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

thats a wonderful challenge and Im happy to follow!!! :)

I especially like the letters from the source thing. Forgot about it and reading this reminded me that I want to steal the idea!

Im battling against hopelessness too and totally get it.

this challenge I will be a better friend and follow properly.

HUG ❤️

• Thanks 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Here to follow along ❤️❤️ 

xx

Thanks, Sal ❤️

23 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

thats a wonderful challenge and Im happy to follow!!! :)

I especially like the letters from the source thing. Forgot about it and reading this reminded me that I want to steal the idea!

Im battling against hopelessness too and totally get it.

this challenge I will be a better friend and follow properly.

HUG ❤️

I'm very glad you're here, possum ❤️

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Following. If I may ask a question to make my unsolicited advice seem more humble, might it be helpful to put an end point on internet time as well as a start time of 7pm? Not having an end time could lead to more internet usage than last challenge.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

All right. I am adjusting to the fact that I have limited forces and the best strategy is to take and hold small pieces of territory, not to declare war on entire continents, oceans, and outer space.

Quality over quantity of conquest. This is wise.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. If I may ask a question to make my unsolicited advice seem more humble, might it be helpful to put an end point on internet time as well as a start time of 7pm? Not having an end time could lead to more internet usage than last challenge.

You're allowed to be blunt but this is nice, too. You're not wrong. What I in fact have is layered blocks. I have a total of 120 minutes. No more than fifteen of these can be used before 6pm (in case I need to do actual adulting stuff), no more than fifteen on the worst distraction sites, and zero minutes after 10pm.

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like the  plan of resting after an activity.  

Sensible yet strangely hard to implement because I always feel I must be rushing to something, or hurrying away from something else.

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Quality over quantity of conquest. This is wise.

Quality conquest should be our new motto. We're not building some slapdash empire here, we're going for a small but really well administered kingdom.

11 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Harriet, hope you have a wonderful day xx

Thanks, Sal!

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hiii Harriet!

I really like this focus on acceptance. You might not like it, but I think it's very wise and my feeling is that it will help in the long run. :) Excellent goals, love the Sword of Courage. Sounds epic.

I really don't like it. I just want you all to know this is not what I wanted. I want to be hitting the gym twice a day and spending all the hours in between painting and reading and maybe going on hours-long hikes to get rid of all the surplus awesomeness. I really didn't imagine my life would be a lot of waiting and killing time for the earliest respectable hour I can go to bed, only to wake up feel the same way the next day. But hey. If wishes were magic swords, beggars would be legendary heroes.

33 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

just dropping by. You will be on later I think. Hope you are well Hase!🐇

I always wanted to be a hase. Thank you, possum!

• Like 3

Monday & Tuesday

Set up the block and did not interfere with it. I set it to be useable between 6pm and 10pm, but with a max of 2 hours total use. 15 minutes allowed before 6pm in case of necessity. Must try not to use for checking NF.
Rested after activities.
Meditated 15 minutes.
Did the letters from source.

I went back to the gym today despite being tired. I just don't want to leave it too long and get into a different sort of tired, you know? Oh goddess, the band between overdoing it and doing so little I decondition and become depressed is so narrow at the moment. Oh well. Let's turn things upside down and try to find the absolute minimum amount I can do that isn't nothing. I did three sets of hack squats (I thought of doing one set, but that seemed downright silly) and then sat in the sauna for fifteen minutes (longest time yet), and then in the rühebereich (rest/peace area? with loungers) for a while, before walking home. I saw that they have solariums. Can you get vitamin D from those or do they just give you cancer?

• Like 2

I like how you are modifying your goals based on what you learned last challenge.

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I really don't like it. I just want you all to know this is not what I wanted. I want to be hitting the gym twice a day and spending all the hours in between painting and reading and maybe going on hours-long hikes to get rid of all the surplus awesomeness. I really didn't imagine my life would be a lot of waiting and killing time for the earliest respectable hour I can go to bed, only to wake up feel the same way the next day. But hey. If wishes were magic swords, beggars would be legendary heroes.

I hear your frustration about having to deal with all this. I just read a post by the author Elizabeth Bear where she talks about the time and effort she has had to devote to dealing with brain issues (bipolar and ADHD) and trauma. Like you, she wishes she could have back the 10 years she spent experimenting and struggling to find strategies that worked. She resents having to follow the routines that allow her to be a functioning adult human, while knowing that the alternative is much worse. Chronic health issues suck.

14 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I went back to the gym today despite being tired. I just don't want to leave it too long and get into a different sort of tired, you know? Oh goddess, the band between overdoing it and doing so little I decondition and become depressed is so narrow at the moment. Oh well. Let's turn things upside down and try to find the absolute minimum amount I can do that isn't nothing. I did three sets of hack squats (I thought of doing one set, but that seemed downright silly) and then sat in the sauna for fifteen minutes (longest time yet), and then in the rühebereich (rest/peace area? with loungers) for a while, before walking home. I saw that they have solariums. Can you get vitamin D from those or do they just give you cancer?

Good for you going to the gym despite being tired!

The solarium will help you make vitamin D if the light includes UVB in the 290-315nm range (according to a very quick search). This is the same range that can give you a sunburn, so be cautious. It does not penetrate glass well, so if the solarium is set up like a greenhouse, you will not get much UVB.

• Like 3

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh goddess, the band between overdoing it and doing so little I decondition and become depressed is so narrow at the moment.

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

I did three sets of hack squats (I thought of doing one set, but that seemed downright silly)

I'm gonna refer you back to the video of that dude who was all, "the minimum effective workout is one set per day". One set per day is seven sets per week. That is 2-3 full workouts a week. And, importantly in your case, spread out in a way that makes it very hard to overdo it on any given day and has a low baseline of daily strain. (Which, honestly, may be the best thing you can acclimated yourself to. A small daily uptick in load may help you build reliable daily capacity in a way that going on and off doesn't.)

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

14 hours ago, Mistr said:

I hear your frustration about having to deal with all this. I just read a post by the author Elizabeth Bear where she talks about the time and effort she has had to devote to dealing with brain issues (bipolar and ADHD) and trauma. Like you, she wishes she could have back the 10 years she spent experimenting and struggling to find strategies that worked. She resents having to follow the routines that allow her to be a functioning adult human, while knowing that the alternative is much worse. Chronic health issues suck.

Could you share the post? I have bipolar and likely ADHD.. so be interested ! xx

On 7/26/2022 at 7:44 PM, Harriet said:

I don't want this for you either. 😢 But I do think you have surplus awesomeness already.

Waiting for bed time is one of the worst feelings.

• Thanks 1
On 7/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, Mistr said:

Yeah, it sucks but the alternative is worse. Whatcha gonna do. And I have so much to be grateful for, as well.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, Mistr said:

This is the same range that can give you a sunburn, so be cautious. It does not penetrate glass well, so if the solarium is set up like a greenhouse, you will not get much UVB.

It's these little tanning beds, and I can't figure out whether they have UVA or UVB or both. I think I'm going to skip it and get some real sunlight.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, sarakingdom said:

I'm gonna refer you back to the video of that dude who was all, "the minimum effective workout is one set per day". One set per day is seven sets per week. That is 2-3 full workouts a week. And, importantly in your case, spread out in a way that makes it very hard to overdo it on any given day and has a low baseline of daily strain. (Which, honestly, may be the best thing you can acclimated yourself to. A small daily uptick in load may help you build reliable daily capacity in a way that going on and off doesn't.)

I forgot, are we talking about Ted Naiman? He does one set each of push, pull and legs per day, I think, so that's 21 total sets. And he does each to absolute failure, then a drop set to failure, then failure on eccentrics. He calls it triple failure. I thought about one set to failure, but I didn't feel comfy taking the hack squats anywhere close to failure, because I'm not sure what happens if I lose control with that machine. I can't tell just by looking at it. But it could be an option for, say, deadlifts. The question is whether one set to absolute failure is truly less fatiguing than three moderately challenging sets. Or whether one set each for three exercises is better than three sets for one exercise. Hmmm.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:13 PM, SakuraKitsune said:

Learning to rest properly is on my goals this challenge too 😊

Much regeneration to you!

cat sleeping GIF

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't want this for you either. 😢 But I do think you have surplus awesomeness already.

Cheers! I'll try to put it to use.

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Waiting for bed time is one of the worst feelings.

Yeah it is

23 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

how are you today? 

temperatures have dropped here, which makes existing much easier! ;) 

I am okay, thank you! I slept badly because I ate/drank late, which always gives me reflex. And because my toes were too cold. Damn you fickle weather! But I'm all right.

• Like 2

Wednesday and Thursday

I meditated both days.
I rested after walks/groceries

I did my morning letters

The internet ban continues

I felt really depressed yesterday, not sure why. Maybe just internet withdrawal? Dopamine receptors chucking a tantrum? At least I have some experience and was able to look at the negative thoughts as symptoms of the low mood, rather than true things. My mother in law asked me if I'd like to write a small article for a newsletter related to her work in women's health, and instead of saying no I thought about it and decided to nudge the door open a little, as recommended by The Artist's Way. I asked more about the topic and decided I can do it, so I will. Started drafting an outline, and that cheered me up. Went to a restaurant with my brother yesterday. Great wines but the food was, you know, those fancy small plates where there's a tiny amount of a star ingredient surrounded by small artistic amounts of foams and sauces and crumbles. My time on low-plant keto has really made me appreciate simple meals without a lot of sauces and stuff, so I would have swapped all that smoked miso butter foam for a piece of venison the size of my hand, not the size of my thumb. But it was delicious and we had a lovely time. Didn't get to the gym as the lateness and quantity of food and drink kept me awake all night with reflux. Will go tomorrow hopefully.

• Like 5

you are being very disciplined even while feeling shit! 

yay for writing for the newspaper! Ive seen your writing and think its really good. So good that you can put this talent to use!

is the letter writing feeling good? 

sending a warmer  bed cover  and a hug! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

I forgot, are we talking about Ted Naiman?

Nope, never heard of him. Forget the dude's name, he came up I think last challenge?

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

I forgot, are we talking about Ted Naiman? He does one set each of push, pull and legs per day, I think, so that's 21 total sets. And he does each to absolute failure, then a drop set to failure, then failure on eccentrics. He calls it triple failure. I thought about one set to failure, but I didn't feel comfy taking the hack squats anywhere close to failure, because I'm not sure what happens if I lose control with that machine. I can't tell just by looking at it. But it could be an option for, say, deadlifts. The question is whether one set to absolute failure is truly less fatiguing than three moderately challenging sets. Or whether one set each for three exercises is better than three sets for one exercise. Hmmm.

I remember a long time ago someone on the forum did an experiment with minimum effective dose, and I think it was something really extreme, maybe even as low as 1 rep per week of high level BW work. And he never went to failure. It's a bit different from what you're after but it's still interesting. I think finding your MED for maintenance and for improvement would be a very smart experiment, not silly at all!

Congrats on the article!

• Like 1
On 7/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Harriet said:

That is probably one of the worst feelings in the world but despite that you are still working towards that mountain and making mini hoards. And mini hoards turn into grand hoards. That counts for something you know? 

The letters from the source sounds interesting! I wonder if I could adapt that into drawing somehow. Though usually if I just start doodling I tend to do eyeballs and daisies. 

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}