Mistr makes today better

Mistr makes today better

August will mark my 9th year in NF. I will also be turning 60 just after the end of this challenge. I am going to use what I have learned in the last several challenges and change my approach a bit.

My goal for this challenge is to work on dealing as well as I can, one day at a time. This is a mental health challenge, not a physical fitness challenge.

Sure, I still have plenty of fitness goals. I've seen that figure of how people lose strength in their 50s and 60s and it terrifies me. I want to lose the extra 10 pounds I've had since the pandemic started. I would like to get some sign that I actually am on the right track in how do zen meditation. All those things will fit in the implementation pieces of my larger goal.

I was going to say that my job is more stressful than normal, but after two years I need to face that this level of work is the new normal and just deal with it. I am considering applying for other positions in my company. I am too close to retirement to want to switch to a different company. I am also feeling very risk-adverse, since I am supporting a family of four. Elf (my non-binary adult offspring) is looking for a full-time job again. I am sure they will find one soon. That will cover their phone, clothes, gas and incidentals. It would be nice if they could kick in for groceries, but I'm not holding my breath.

I feel overwhelmed and show spikey anxiety behaviors when I try to look at all the things that I need to do. So I am consciously going to focus just on the next task instead. I can make it across the gorge and even enjoy the scenery if I keep my eyes on the goal and don't look down.

Lynn-canyon-3.jpg

I will not try to do All The Things.

• Instead, I will pick a thing to do that is fun or necessary.
  • I will do that thing, then I will pick another thing.
  • When in doubt, it is fine for me to pick an easy thing.
  • Doing all chores does not make for a better day. Some of the things need to be fun things or my brain gets cranky. 
  • Small things count. I can do 5 minutes of zen, or knit one row.
  • If I decide to let something wait, I will actually let it wait and not stress about it.

I don't have to log everything, but it helps if I write down some of it to have a feeling of accomplishment. For the last several months I have been noting if it was a good day or not in my log book. I would like to have more good days.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

Level 68  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I was going to say that my job is more stressful than normal, but after two years I need to face that this level of work is the new normal and just deal with it. 

I'm really struggling with this as well. One of the main reasons is that I don't want this to be my new normal, and rather than accepting it so I can weaponize my acceptance properly, I'm resisting and trying to force reality to conform to what I want instead. 

Now that I type this out, it looks to me as if it might not be the most productive approach.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I feel overwhelmed and show spikey anxiety behaviors when I try to look at all the things that I need to do. So I am consciously going to focus just on the next task instead. I can make it across the gorge and even enjoy the scenery if I keep my eyes on the goal and don't look down.

I love this mental image. I'm stealing this.

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42

I'm starting to realize mental health goals are just as important as physical health goals.

Happy I found you at the beginning of the challenge this time :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Wrestle, It's all about the pin

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 75

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

That is a really beautiful picture. It reminds me of the treetop walks in Lamington National Park in Australia. And similar but less beautiful ones in California, where the redwoods are.

I am sorry you are in an ongoing stress situation. The strategies sounds good and I hope they work well.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

So far, so good. The theme for this challenge seems to be not doing things and not stressing about it. 

On Monday I did a regular strength workout for the first time in months. I scaled back from what I was doing last spring.

• bodyweight squats - easy but very noisy in the joints
  • bench pushups - challenging
  • step-back lunges - easy, much better balance than expected
  • bent-over rows - easy
  • T-arm and Y-arm raises from hands-and-knees, with bird-dog leg extension for fun - easy

My quads let me know about it yesterday. I even did quad stretches right after my workout on Monday. 

I totally forgot I had offered to host my spinning group. I was not able to do it because of my work schedule. Normally I would have felt bad for dropping the ball, but I would have had to pass regardless. I'm glad someone else was able to host on short notice. Only five of us showed up (including the host), so I'm glad I went. I wasn't even the last person to arrive.

On Tuesday I stopped by the co-op on my way home from work. After I talked a bit with Elf and Cleo and had some food, I did not have time or energy to do the cooking I planned. So I just melted the butter and chocolate for brownies and set it aside to finish later. That looks to be Thursday sometime. I am still planning on going to aikido tonight, although it is a close thing.

The garden is doing well. Here is a photo of the front garden that I planted two years ago. The daylilies are spectacular enough that no one notices the weeds along the edges. ;) 

X2ZAdun.jpg

• Like 7

Level 68  Viking paladin

On 7/28/2022 at 7:35 PM, Mistr said:

The short pink flowers are snapdragons and the tall feathery ones are cleome. The grass around the edges is the weedy bit.

It's less "weed" than I've ever had in any of my gardens. Anyone who's going to judge you harshly about something like that is unlikely to be the kind of person you'd want to befriend anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49 

I am happy to report that the new plan seems to be working. I am mostly staying on top of things at work and not stressing too much about stuff.

One really good change is that I have started doing bodyweight strength training again. It has been more than a week with four days of workouts so far, so I feel safe in saying that I can do this again. I'm not sure what was going on earlier this summer that made my brain shy away from it. The actual workouts are still pretty easy. I am scaling up one rep each time until I get to 12, then I will increase weight and drop reps. I think I will keep increasing reps for bodyweight squats and not add weight. I have been doing squats with a pole where the bar would be. My shoulders are still really tight and I find the balance challenging in this position. I want to work on form for a while so that I can do weighted squats later.

Between the weight training and the aikido, I feel like my body is getting back to normal, for pre-Covid levels of normal. I still have all the extra weight.

I will be doing more cooking. Elf has been doing some cooking, but not enough for variety for the whole family. Dumbledore complained about boring food at lunch today. After he had something to eat, I asked him which day of the week he would like to have as his for regular cooking a meal or batch-cooked dish to share. He chose Mondays. 😇

I agree we could use more variety in our food. I just don't have the energy to devote to that at the moment. In fact, I stocked up on frozen veggies and frozen meatballs as easy-to-pack food for work. Not great, but better than peanut butter sandwiches.

Family news

Spoiler

Elf and Cleo have both signed up for school for the fall. Cleo is going full time and has a full financial aid package. Elf is signed up for half time because they are planning on working full time. They have had several interviews over the last couple weeks. They were at Starbucks for two weeks before deciding it wasn't working out. I think it might have been okay if they had found a position at a location closer to home that was not quite so badly understaffed.

Elf is worried about school because their last experience was poor. I encouraged them to get their books and start reading now, before the semester starts. There is no rule that people have to wait until the first class to start. Especially when the classes are online.

Cleo just had gender-affirming surgery. She is happy and very sore. The recovery from it will take weeks. Luckily all of her classes are online. I am hoping that she will be a good example for Elf.

• Like 5

Level 68  Viking paladin

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

I will be doing more cooking. Elf has been doing some cooking, but not enough for variety for the whole family. Dumbledore complained about boring food at lunch today. After he had something to eat, I asked him which day of the week he would like to have as his for regular cooking a meal or batch-cooked dish to share. He chose Mondays. 😇

Ooh, nicely done, nicely done.

• Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

Today Elf texted our group chat to say that they wanted to go grocery shopping, and shared the ad from one of our usual grocery stores. There were no outstanding specials, so I suggested we start from what people felt like cooking/eating instead of from what was cheap this week. Elf posted a list of six things that they and Cleo could cook. Dumbledore posted an idea for next Monday.  Guys, I think I finally have my family onboard for cooking!

Next step is chores. That can wait until the cooking habit is solid. See, I have learned from NF about changing habits. B) 

I am going to skip aikido tonight so that I can do stuff at home. I am going to leave work on time with a bunch of things undone. Hopefully that will give me time for both projects and downtime this evening. I just don't want to face another day of being programmed from when I wake up until I go to bed.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Level 68  Viking paladin

The last two evenings I did a combination of projects and taking time for myself. That has helped tremendously with my feeling of being overwhelmed.

So you saw that I mentioned chores still being an issue? I have positive signs on that front.

• On Sunday Dumbledore asked for my help sorting stuff in the mud room. We went through a big pile of boxes. Two boxes of gift wrapping stuff are now in the garage with the holiday decorations. The extra extension cords have been put away. At least four boxes and a bunch of artwork are in a pile to take to the charity shop. In the process we moved things around and vacuumed the floor, which really needed it. Dumbledore still has four boxes of old papers and stuff to sort, but he knows they are there and mostly what kind of stuff it is. 
  • The success in the mud room encouraged Dumbledore to sort stuff in the game room. The gaming table has accumulated books and papers since we had to drop in-person gaming when the pandemic hit. It took three days of steady work, but he got the table clear for gaming on Wednesday. 
  • He also cleaned the downstairs toilet before gaming. He thought it would be best not to have the bathroom be part of a monster scenario.
  • Dumbledore was heading out of town on Thursday to go visit friends. He said he was going to get an early start, so I did not expect him to do anything around the house before he left. Around 11am he texted me a photo of the dining room table and coffee table in the living room - both with nothing on them. He is planning on using the gaming table to sort the stuff that he had in piles upstairs.
  • Cleo mentioned that she had tried to clean the toilet but was not able to do it with her current mobility restrictions. I cleaned it yesterday morning, and she was grateful. Why she didn't ask me or Elf to do it is a mystery, but I suspect there are historical reasons. She is used to living with unhelpful or abusive people and having to do everything herself. It is going to take steady effort to get her to communicate and negotiate.

I am happy that Dumbledore is willing to put time into sorting and getting rid of stuff. About 80% of the stuff that needs sorting is his. Of course that means there is plenty of my stuff to deal with too. I need to either schedule a fancy party to use the china and crystal, or acknowledge that we really don't need those things and get rid of them. That project is not top of my list for this weekend. The first thing is to deal with the health care paperwork and taxes. I have had a pile of papers on the corner of the couch for a month that needs to go

• Like 4

Level 68  Viking paladin

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I need to either schedule a fancy party to use the china and crystal, or acknowledge that we really don't need those things and get rid of them.

You don't use them for special occasions? My parents would break out the "fancy stuff' (crystal glasses, silverware that literally was silver, and the thin china plates with gold details, etc.) for holidays, and when we celebrated something as  family. If you want to keep your crystal and "good china", that could be a way to get use out of them, which in turn, of course, justifies keeping them. :) 

As for Cleo, I think you're spot on about her reasons for trying to do the cleaning herself. Which in turn means that indirectly asking for help by mentioning it means that your steady efforts are helping, and she's learning to take up space and ask for things, now that she lives in a healthy environment that supports her. And that is awesome. 

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42

On 8/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, Scaly Freak said:

You don't use them for special occasions? My parents would break out the "fancy stuff' (crystal glasses, silverware that literally was silver, and the thin china plates with gold details, etc.) for holidays, and when we celebrated something as  family. If you want to keep your crystal and "good china", that could be a way to get use out of them, which in turn, of course, justifies keeping them. :) 

We have not been having special occasion dinners that way. We learned a while back that family dinners at the dining room table were triggery for Elf. We went back to having meals in the kitchen, and that was okay. I would like to have a fancy dinner for Thanksgiving if Elf and Cleo are up for it. Maybe also for Yule. We will have to see.

Yesterday was a mixed day. It started off with my water bottle coming open and dumping water all over the drivers seat of my car. I used the car towel (in the trunk for just this sort of situation) to mop it up, but that was not quite enough. Neither was the dry hand towel I put on the seat. I got into work with a soaking wet rear end. We have been having ongoing climate control issues with the renovated office. Yesterday was a cold day. I spent all morning cold and damp.

I was in a planning session all afternoon. It went a lot better than I expected. I had two cups of decaf coffee to warm up and stay awake. That was a calculated decision that I knew I'd have to pay for later. During a break I checked email and found a couple things that I needed to deal with. That meant staying late at work and not going to aikido. I think I made the right choice, but I was not happy about it. No aikido, no zen, no exercise, no down time.

I was grouchy when I was driving home. Dumbledore was grouchy because the kitchen was full of dishes and the fridge was badly organized so he could not do the cooking he had planned on. We went for a walk and shared our grievances. That actually helped a lot. We dealt with both being upset much better than we ever have in the past. 

No surprise that I was slow to fall asleep. Even so, I had a much better day today. I did TGUs and silk reeling as a short exercise session this morning. I took a much-needed nap at lunchtime. It is a lovely evening and I have the house mostly to myself. If I am good, I will do prep so that tomorrow can be a good day too.

• Like 4

Level 68  Viking paladin

13 minutes ago, Mistr said:

We have not been having special occasion dinners that way. We learned a while back that family dinners at the dining room table were triggery for Elf. We went back to having meals in the kitchen, and that was okay. I would like to have a fancy dinner for Thanksgiving if Elf and Cleo are up for it. Maybe also for Yule. We will have to see.

That is a very good reason to avoid family dinner in the dining room. Though now I'm curious... is there room enough to have them at the kitchen table? Staying in the kitchen might make it less triggery, and you could still use the nice glasses and china. Within reason, of course. Protecting your kid's mental health obviously comes first.

The water bottle situation sounds awful and I hope it never happens again! 

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That is a very good reason to avoid family dinner in the dining room. Though now I'm curious... is there room enough to have them at the kitchen table? Staying in the kitchen might make it less triggery, and you could still use the nice glasses and china. Within reason, of course. Protecting your kid's mental health obviously comes first.

The kitchen island fits three comfortably. We could make space for four, but we only have three tall chairs. Which points out that this is a fixable problem. I could get another chair from Ikea so we would have a spare for when we need it.

I would prefer to make eating at the table a more normal thing. Right now Elf is going through a rough patch with anxiety. We are all worried about them. I hope it is something with their meds that can be easily changed. Brain chemistry is tough to get right.

On the positive side, Cleo is healing up and showing a lot more energy. She just got her books for starting school this fall. She is going to encourage Elf to start studying now, so they will be ahead of the game when classes start.

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

Ouch. Elf has all my sympathies and hopes for improvement, via medication changes or otherwise. Brain chemistry would be a cooler if it wasn't so frustrating. 

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but reading your posts about Elf and Cleo always makes me a little happier than I was before reading. This kind of obvious reminder that there are genuinely good  people in this world, who open their home to someone who really needs one, has been badly needed this summer. You and Dumbledore are gradually restoring some of my lost faith in humanity. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

Which points out that this is a fixable problem. I could get another chair from Ikea so we would have a spare for when we need it.

This is the best sort of fixable problem: easy, cheap, and comes with meatballs.

GIF by 8it

Re: the good crystal and china, dinner parties in the dining room are not the only option. The 50s-70s gave us all sorts of fancy retro cocktail parties with buffets in the living room. Coincidentally, this is also a problem that can be solved with Swedish meatballs. (Or a chocolate party, or drinks and hors d'oeuvres, or a Christmas cookie party with mulled wine, or six jello salads and a lot of Frank Sinatra, or a Midwestern casserole buffet and mingling, or a fondue party. There are options. No one says you have to use all the plates in a traditional place setting.)

spoon GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 8/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, Mistr said:

The kitchen island fits three comfortably. We could make space for four, but we only have three tall chairs. Which points out that this is a fixable problem. I could get another chair from Ikea so we would have a spare for when we need it.

I would prefer to make eating at the table a more normal thing. Right now Elf is going through a rough patch with anxiety. We are all worried about them. I hope it is something with their meds that can be easily changed. Brain chemistry is tough to get right.

On the positive side, Cleo is healing up and showing a lot more energy. She just got her books for starting school this fall. She is going to encourage Elf to start studying now, so they will be ahead of the game when classes start.

Sorry to hear about Elf's anxiety right now. It's great that Elf and Cleo will be encouraging each other with the studying. I imagine that having a study buddy can only be motivating and multiplicative. I mean, more than twice as good as one person studying alone.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 8/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, sarakingdom said:

This is the best sort of fixable problem: easy, cheap, and comes with meatballs.

Sadly, the Ikea stores in the US no longer carry this style of chair in the color we have. We can get dark brown or white, but only by special order. They have the chairs we want in Canada and Europe. Why not here?

Spoiler

Ekedalen bar stool in medium brown.

7f67d8be51c13b008fb2144bc79a7d2d.jpg

I noticed that the Canadian website does not list the white version of the chair. What's up with that people? You clearly manufacture all the colors. Why not distribute them?

Dumbledore and I planned out an exploratory drive that included a stop at Ikea (which is 1.5-2 hours away). Looks like we can drive wherever we want and will have to come up with something creative to get another chair.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, sarakingdom said:

Re: the good crystal and china, dinner parties in the dining room are not the only option. The 50s-70s gave us all sorts of fancy retro cocktail parties with buffets in the living room. Coincidentally, this is also a problem that can be solved with Swedish meatballs. (Or a chocolate party, or drinks and hors d'oeuvres, or a Christmas cookie party with mulled wine, or six jello salads and a lot of Frank Sinatra, or a Midwestern casserole buffet and mingling, or a fondue party. There are options. No one says you have to use all the plates in a traditional place setting.)

Excellent point. I have a set of tea party china from my grandmother that have plates with a spot for a teacup. Like a saucer, but dinner plate sized. Perfect for a cup of tea and some  hors d'oeuvres.

I have lived through too many Midwestern hotdish buffets with jello salads. I have the recipes to prove it. My grandparents and their siblings loved Frank Sinatra. I'm sure those shows were not actually as bad as I remember, but I have no desire to find out. 

That said, a buffet party with Swedish meatballs is a great idea. Dumbledore has wanted to do play reading for a long time. Or we could do movie night with historical costume dramas. There are possibilities.

The actual next social event will be an open house on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. This will definitely be a paper-plates and potluck type event. Probably with Swedish meatballs, because they are easy, popular and can stay warm in a crockpot. I need to come up with an alternative vegetarian protein source.

• Like 2

Level 68  Viking paladin

Tuesday I ended up working late and then taking Cleo shopping for bras. I wanted to go on a week night, before the stores get full of back-to-school shoppers. That was a good choice. We were also lucky to find a good sale and the store was nearly empty.

Spoiler

This was a big deal on several fronts. 

• Cleo is trans and shopping for bras is an entirely new thing. Being in the women's lingerie section is scary. 
  • Actually needing bras is a celebration of her successful surgery. She has wanted this for years.
  • Elf stayed home and cooked. I was expecting that they would come along for moral support. Cleo did this outing with just me. I feel like I did when our cat Dorian finally let me pat him.

When we got home, I talked with Dumbledore's mom while I did prep for the next day. Thank goodness for the new cordless headset. She is in the hospital with edema again. She still thinks that the doctors put in stents without her permission and that one of the meds she is supposed to take makes her walking shaky. Dumbledore and I suspect she is not taking her meds, which is why she is back in the hospital. I can tell she is not okay because she did not go into her usual rants about relatives and politics.

I did not have time for exercise or zen. Turns out I should have sat zen anyway, because I could not fall asleep. After a couple hours I gave up trying and got up and did some low-key things from my list. I'm puzzled about what caused the insomnia. I didn't eat anything after 6:30pm, had no caffeine at all, and did get outside for a short walk at lunch. I wasn't especially worried about anything. My brain just would not switch gears into sleep mode. Frustrating.

That sets up a quandry for today. I could go home after work and go to bed early or I could go to aikido and go straight to bed when I get home. TBD

• Like 3

Level 68  Viking paladin

16 hours ago, Mistr said:

My brain just would not switch gears into sleep mode. Frustrating.

My brain likes to do the same thing, especially when I get in bed with plenty of time to get an adequate amount of sleep. 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Wrestle, It's all about the pin

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 75

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I ended up going home because I did not trust myself to take care of my partners on the mat. It felt like the right choice when I got home.

I did zen and got to bed on time for a change.

Do you think there is such a thing as interview fatigue?

We are getting lots of applicants for our two open positions. We have been struggling to find and keep good candidates. There have been several promising people who took other offers before we could finish our interviews or decided to go elsewhere. We are averaging five interviews a week. The first interview questions are always the same. That allows us to make fair comparisons between candidates. However, doing the same thing over and over gets boring. I struggle to stay focused and come back to paying attention when the candidate gets to talk. I do better on days I am working from home. Then I can card wool during the interview. When I am in the office I want to work on other things on the side.

That suggests that I should bring in my knitting. My project is on hold again because I was moving it from double-pointed needles to a circular needle and some of the stitches fell off the end of one of the needles. They completely unraveled before I caught it. I'm only three rows in to a doubleknitting project. In theory I could pick up the stitches, but I am not sure how to start. I may just give up and start over for the fourth time. Once I get it going the project should be fun. The casting on has been a bear.

• Like 4

Level 68  Viking paladin

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Do you think there is such a thing as interview fatigue?

Yes.