Cry Havoc™: Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

‘The gods themselves have tried to betray me, slay me even. I have broken daemons and fought deranged wizards and slain beasts and monsters that would tear apart legions of your gold-armoured champions. I have fallen from the skies amidst fire and battled through the depths of the earth for days at a time. I have been flung into an ocean of madness and filth and clawed my way out. The boy knows nothing of fear, because these realms know nothing of it. I spit on your idea of fear.’

~ Gotrek Gurnisson, to Maleneth Witchblade.

slayers.jpg
Behold the Slayers!  A grim countenance is as much a necessary accoutrement as their tattoos, brightly-dyed mohawks, tattoos, and scant armor.

image.png

Challenge Inspiration:  Axes of the Dwarves!  The Dwarves are upon you!  This challenge is inspired by the greatest RPG/fictional class of all time, the Dwarf Slayer! Vengeance is deep and dark and sweet and we all walk with the weight of our sins; the Great Work has been underway some 4 weeks now and we've been living out of a camper during a heat wave - which thankfully has marginally effective air conditioning.  We're finally into the house while renovating at least, which means multiple AC units in different rooms to help mitigate the heat and humidity, plus (and most importantly) a real bed to sleep on!  So we're juggling the cares and concerns of six different beasties (four cats, two dogs) who aren't sure what's what or who's who, while balancing all sorts of logistical nightmares - like Warp-spiders (seriously there are so many fucking bugs here)!  In a word, life is absolute Chaos and it’s my job to stand to though it abounds around us. 

Now I have to uphold my Slayer Oath and sally forth with grim determination and unwavering vigor to accomplish the duties I agreed to.  No one ever said the Big Game of Adulting was going to be easy! I feel rusty and the sheer hours on my feet lately are unprecedented, so the old War Machine™ is running a bit rough and in need of a tune-up - but world weariness is not excuse for breaching a god-oath. 

• [Inevitable Doom] Come Hell or high water, a death-sworn dwarf knows his doom could be the next worthy foe. Hit the road or open country like a proper Slayer on an oath-quest to pit himself against only the toughest foes through daily mileage, whether walking, running, or rucking.
  • [Dragonslayer]:  Any worthy death will not be an easy one, and going quietly isn’t in your nature; only by testing your might against the most dreadful denizens of the Old World can you hope to regain your honor through a worthy death. Any workouts during the week counts, aiming for at least two above the daily workload. 
  • [Embrace the Pain] There's no use sitting back and licking your wounds; want your health back? Go out there and kill for it! Violence breeds vitality, thus keep to the Guidelines: daily tracking, eat more veg, join the Weight Loss PvP, etc.
  • And finally, a guiding philosophy to add - determination matters, and yours is deadly:  [Deadly Determination]:  Complete some form of daily stretching or rehabilitative movement like yoga.
image.png
‘I am a Dwarf! My honor is my life and without it I am nothing. I shall become a Slayer.
I shall seek redemption in the eyes of my ancestors.
I shall become as death to my enemies, until I face he that takes my life and my shame.’
the Slayer Oath. 

image.gif
  • Like 5
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

[Level ??] Half-orc Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Hunter's padded armor & longcoat, Novigrad longsword & flintlock, Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

• Rurik Harrgath changed the title to Cry Havoc™: Chaos and the Art of Jetbike Maintenance
15 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:
So we're juggling the cares and concerns of six different beasties (four cats, two dogs) who aren't sure what's what or who's who, while balancing all sorts of logistical nightmares - like Warp-spiders (seriously there are so many bugs here)!  In a word, life is absolute Chaos.

four cats, two dogs who can't be in the same room at the same time, two rabbits, three humans, and 100,000 spiders, actually.

This Is Fine GIF

🙃😬🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
On 7/25/2022 at 6:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

Following!

You Can Be My Wingman Anytime Maverick GIF - Topgun Wingman Tom Cruise -  Discover & Share GIFs

On 7/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Always here to cheer you on.

Trending GIF happy win tennis winner winning victory rafael nadal nadal us  open rafa nadal us open 2017 2017 us open

On 7/26/2022 at 8:36 AM, MaeradCase said:

War Machine is correct 😲

Accurate representation of me on our walk this morning:

Endor Star Wars GIF - Endor Star Wars Atst - Discover & Share GIFs

On 7/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, spezzy said:

four cats, two dogs who can't be in the same room at the same time, two rabbits, three humans, and 100,000 spiders, actually.

Zoo Keeper Big Meets Bigger GIF - Zoo Keeper Big Meets Bigger Trust -  Discover & Share GIFs

On 7/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

flame thrower fire GIF

Close, but...

Starship troopers GIF - Find on GIFER

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Equipment: Hunter's padded armor & longcoat, Novigrad longsword & flintlock, Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Cull.png  [Chaos and the Art of Jetbike Maintenance™ Quest Log]

Challenge Journal:  Date of 7.28.22

Weight:  230 lbs.

*begin transmission*

As with any Great Work, one begins with humble hands and a fire in their belly.

So too with this...

And so it begins.

We've been busy AF, to the point my feet haven't given me a pain free day in weeks - too many days on the couch have made them soft and weak.  I was weighing around 243lbs before we left Canada and I checked the MIL's mechanical scale the other day to see 230lbs which feels about right given the endless march of clearing out the house and projects since we've been here.  Plus that's with the added decadence of eating a bowl of ice cream together every. single. night.  The dumpster for our main push will be delivered on Monday, so next week will be especially productive and demanding physically; I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing what the scale says after a week spent gutting porches, wrecking garage roofs, and demolishing walls!  At least our brand new king size bed arrived today!  Plenty of space for the whole family to sleep the night away now.

I also have my eye on two motorcycles that I'm particularly excited to take a closer look at as they're a model I hadn't considered before (when did I become an old bagger guy anyway?) and I'm badly in need of a relaxation outlet lately, hence the title of this challenge.  These batteries be in sore need of recharging!

Apparently it's Thursday or something (I can't even tell at this point TBH) so let's just call it #MomoaMonday to kick things off and get down to business.  

Lifts Hard work for the Gains God!  Fuel for the War Machine!

*end transmission*

Even 'Old Man' Momoa is inspirational AF.

[Cover is for Cowards]  ☑☑☑☑☐☐☐
Run/Walk:  Daily walks, halfway uphill New England style, continue inabated.
[Powers on Tap]   kinetic opaque.png
Workouts:  My whole life is an unceasing workout.
[Think Aggressively]  ☑☑☐☐☐☐
Stretching:  I initiated two nights of yoga this week!
[Kill to Heal]   ☑☑☑☑☐☐☐
Nutrition:  Hearty breakfasts and fulfilling dinners with a bowl of ice cream to top the night off have been the norm!  The few times I've tracked a typical day to check calories, I've noticed I'm coming in just around or below maintenance calories which explains why I've been steadily losing weight the past month without even trying.  I totally understand how a daily routine of steady hard work truly is the perfect substitute for exercise.
  • Like 5

Wowie zowie friend WELCOME to NEW ENGLAND :DDDDDD

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

On 7/28/2022 at 11:36 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I totally understand how a daily routine of steady hard work truly is the perfect substitute for exercise.

I was having a similar conversation with a mate earlier who's a tree surgeon - doing heavy work all day every day is always going to build more strength than working at a desk and going to the gym a few times per week.

• Like 1

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 12  -  CON: 9  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 5  -  INT: 10

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric's ADVENTure

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

• Rurik Harrgath changed the title to My Brütal Legend™: Cry Havoc! and take Grimnir’s Slayer Oath
  • Rurik Harrgath changed the title to Cry Havoc™: Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
On 7/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

House reno is very calorie demanding.

A Good Meal is a Good Motivation For a Workout - Señor GIF - Pronounced GIF  or JIF?

On 7/29/2022 at 1:20 PM, MaeradCase said:

It's true, really it is!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/7d57447ae436bab489faccb4550565ba/tumblr_n1mjniLKy01ql56ddo1_500.gif

On 7/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, shaar said:

Wowie zowie friend WELCOME to NEW ENGLAND :DDDDDD

Legit love it here.  Especially this place we found... Laconia?  Yeah, I hear they like motorcycles as much as I do.  I especially like it there.  ;) 

Best Laconia Restaurant on Winnipesaukee: Lobster in the Rough

On 7/30/2022 at 11:43 AM, Jarric said:

I was having a similar conversation with a mate earlier who's a tree surgeon - doing heavy work all day every day is always going to build more strength than working at a desk and going to the gym a few times per week.

I am definitely a convert, which is saying something because I've been historically averse to 'hard work' conditions 🤣 Really can't wait to get around to renovating the garage though so I can get that indoor gym built!

21 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Moar updates plz

As ye request!

Warhammer Dwarf GIF - Warhammer Dwarf Dwarven - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 2

marta-dettlx-realmslayer-02.jpg  [Baruk Khazâd Quest Log]

Challenge Journal:  Date of 8.4.22

Weight:  230 lbs (ish)

*begin transmission*

The Great Work continues.

We forge on.

Until death, or ruin.

I've begun the arduous quest (dungeon boss, really) that is the rotted out and collapsing back porch. Most of my day last was spent masked up and gloved, tearing decayed insulation from the ceiling/roof and removing loads of rubbish to fill our dumpster and just prep the area for full demolishing.  It's bloody hot (again) today and I'm illsuited to this weather, coming from norther climes, but I've set a reasonable goal to accomplish that both propels the Work forward and allows for some respite.

Blood & Glory!

None spared.

*end transmission*

God of war GIF - Find on GIFER

I could see Kratos becoming this challenge's unofficial mascot.

[Inevitable Doom]  ☑☑☑☑☐☐☐
Run/Walk:  I both love and hate our backwoods hill walking path with equal fervor.
[Dragonslayer]   ☐☐
Workouts:  Hoping to get into town for the gym this weekend, although I should really unpack some of our workout kit.
[Embrace the Pain]  ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Stretching:  We're way behind on the limbering effort but seeing this is a good reminder!
[Deadly Determination]   ☑☑☑☑☐☐☐
Nutrition:  Haven't eaten like an arse at all this week, even shied away from Dairy Queen instead of home ice cream even though I was in town and drove by it twice, and as of today I've added a protein shake to breakfast just to dial that macro up a bit - shouldn't affect my calorie intake much although I need to keep an eye on fats with sausage or bacon for breakfast and fattier cuts of beef commonly for dinners lately.
  • Like 5

On 8/4/2022 at 2:49 PM, MaeradCase said:

Oh, I know. I know all too well. Frozen sugar milk is my kryptonite in all forms. X)

Ditto, and fortunately or unfortunately - depending how you look at it - I seem to have mostly lost the crippling lactose intolerance which limited my enjoyment of said aforementioned frozen sugar milk!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Ditto, and fortunately or unfortunately - depending how you look at it - I seem to have mostly lost the crippling lactose intolerance which limited my enjoyment of said aforementioned frozen sugar milk!

I'll choose to note the correlation of your stay in America with your ability to ingest frozen sugar milk.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 8/5/2022 at 7:01 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'll choose to note the correlation of your stay in America with your ability to ingest frozen sugar milk.

I cannot argue with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 5:53 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Same. I had to cut out dairy for 3 years because it was causing headaches, which caused a temporary lactose intolerance (your body stops producing adequate amounts of lactase, which is required to digest milk) when you don’t consume it, but starts producing it again when you start consuming dairy regularly). It stopped causing headaches, so I was able to work dairy back in. But now cheese and ice cream are my kryptonite! 🤣

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

But now cheese and ice cream are my kryptonite! 🤣

Well gosh golly gee if that don't just sound all too familiar 😛 

4 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Well gosh golly gee if that don't just sound all too familiar 😛 

I am still trying to figure out how I actually survived for 3 years without real cheese though…

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

I am glad I am not the only one struggling to keep my thread alive 😉

• Like 1