Waanie's last minute challenge

Hi everyone! I'm Waanie, I like lifting weights and being upside down (not at the same time though!). I wasn't sure if I should do a challenge this round, but here I am. Next month might or might not be crazy, which means that setting appropriate goals is hard :lol:.

🦉Main goal:

Do not disappear :D. You guys are all great, and I get genuinely happier when hanging around here. If my other goals interfere with me coming here for whatever reason, I will change that goal and come right back.

Update here at least twice per week

🏋️‍♀️Keep on lifting

Lifting heavy thing is cool. Seeing numbers going up is great as well. Last week, I did a max deadlift of 100kg and the week before that a squat of 60kg. In October we'll have a "MAX"-day at the gym, where I want to beat those numbers ;).

Go to the gym 2-3 times per week

🍴Eat more protein

Eating enough protein seems to be hard. I'm not tracking it regularly, but I noticed that my muscles are not recovering as they should. I've started drinking a protein shake in the morning, and that does seem to help, but does not feel like a smooth enough habit to be sustainable. This challenge I want to try out some things (preferrably plant based) to get in more protein without effort.

Try out a new protein-heavy thing for breakfast, lunch or snacks every week

🧘‍♀️Get more limber

My body feels so stiff all the time. I have plenty of resources available, it's just hard to do it.

No zero-days wrt stretching/mobility. When in doubt, do molding mobility.

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Great goals. Following. :) 

Welcome :).

My first protein-heavy experiment will be overnight oats with protein powder:

• 30g oats
  • 20g protein powder
  • 2tsp chia seed
  • 120ml soy milk

Total protein: 23g at 260kcal. Tomorrow I'll know how it tastes and if it will become my regular breakfast ;).

• Like 2
8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I’ll make a challenge tomorrow x)

Nice :D.

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Good idea! What kind of protein do you use?

This is a big jar of whey protein, because it's cheaper than the vegan version :lol:. Chocolate-flavoured of course :).

The  breakfast is tasty! And quite filling, although I don't know until lunch if it is filling enough or if I should make more.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yaay, I'm so glad you decided to challenge!

Yay, challenge party! I'm glad you're doing a challenge too :).

On the protein overnight oats: it was not filling enough to last my until lunch, not even with a banana at 10. I guess I'll need a bigger portion?

Challenge progress day 1:

🦉🍴🧘‍♀️

Energy levels: orange with moments of red.

• Like 1

Challenge day 2:

🍴🧘‍♀️🏋️‍♀️🦉

BBQ tempeh is a decent sandwich topping, although I think it misses something fresh.

Today's workout:

Spoiler

A1 5x5/5 bulgarian split squat with 2x10kg

A2 5x5 push ups (it has been a while since I did that :))

B1 5x4 goblet squat with 3x3s pause with 14kg

B2 5x5 ring rows

C 4x8 bench press with 25/25/30/30kg

D 3x3 deadlift with 70kg and 2x8 deadlift with 50kg

I already did the first superset during the afternoon at home, since I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do the full workout before closing time. I'm glad for the extra rest, since the split squats uses similar muscles to goblet squats and push ups use similar muscles as bench press. Both types of squats felt on the heavy side, while the deadlift felt easy. The first rep with 50kg was very funny; it almost flew into the air :lol:.

• Like 2

Today I'm feeling sore again... Oh well. I'm also planning to go clothes shopping because I need more casual clothes and shoes and it's currently sale, but I'm really not feeling it -_-.  I'm also not feeling going to the hairdresser this afternoon, but I've been postponing getting my hair cut for about half a year now 😅.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Waanie said:

I've been postponing getting my hair cut for about half a year now 😅.

Me too!!  I'm going to have to face up to the fact that it's back to work, and I should get a trim.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50

Always here for strength training and protein :D 

On 8/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, Waanie said:

On the protein overnight oats: it was not filling enough to last my until lunch, not even with a banana at 10. I guess I'll need a bigger portion?

Hmm, maybe adding some nuts or nut butter (for fat and protein) would help? 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

5 hours ago, Alanna said:

Always here for strength training and protein :D 

Welcome!

5 hours ago, Alanna said:

Hmm, maybe adding some nuts or nut butter (for fat and protein) would help? 

Multiplying the portion by 1.5 seems to do the trick, but adding some nuts is a good idea as well :). I'd have to check if I have anything unsalted, and otherwise I could also add sunflower seeds.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Chesire said:

Only a little late!  Following!

Those are some impressive max lifts.

Welcome :). Yes, I really like how fast I got strong already! I'm curious to see what my max weights will be on MAX-day in October ;).

Thursday I skipped my workout because I was tired and it was hot. I don't like it that I see those as a good reason to skip, but on the other hand, I know it is likely to hurt mentally if I go when tired and have a bad session. I didn't want to risk crying all night and not sleeping and stuff, you know?

Today's session:

Spoiler

A Backsquat 5x5 at 45kg (warm-up sets at 15kg and 35kg) RPE 8

B1 Dumbbell bench press 5x8 at 2x10kg RPE 7

B2 Step ups 5x4/4 RPE 9

C1 Assisted pull ups 4x5 RPE 10 (the later ones used a lot more legs than the earlier ones)

C2 Single leg deadlifts 8/8 at 18kg RPE 8

During superset C my vision was getting blurry, so I took some extra rest. Generally, my upper back/shoulder/upper chest/neck area is also not feeling great, so I'll have to keep an eye on that and hope it won't become an injury. I was glad I did strength training instead of body control class though; body control class had barely any modifications for the weaker people today, so I would have gone far over my boundaries. This was also the case with the strength group lesson last Tuesday (exercises looked too hard for the participants), so I'm glad that KB Girl wrote me a program to do during her vacation :).

Looking at my general exercise (walking and biking), I seem to average 85 minutes this week. This is approximately where I want to be, so at least I'm seeing progress there again. My time for bike commuting is going down as well, so I'm biking faster now than, say, a month ago. I don't know if it is relevant progress, but progress is progress 🤷‍♀️.

Challenge week 1 (week starts at Monday):

Check in: 🦉🦉🦉🦉⚪🦉⚪

Lifting:      ⚪🏋️‍♀️⚪⚪⚪🏋️‍♀️⚪

Protein:   🍴🍴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

Mobility: 🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️⚪

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Waanie said:

so I'm glad that KB Girl wrote me a program to do during her vacation :).

It's very pleasant to write a program for someone who will actually do it and report back! and it's been great to watch you get strong super fast, I'm curious what you'll lift at max-day too :) 

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

Thursday I skipped my workout because I was tired and it was hot.

Honestly I think these can be good reasons to skip, especially the tired part where there is the risk that the training will do your mental health more harm than good. If you were skipping all the time it might be different but you are very consistent! 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl is a cargo bike mom

my instagram - my gym's instagram

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It's very pleasant to write a program for someone who will actually do it and report back! and it's been great to watch you get strong super fast, I'm curious what you'll lift at max-day too :) 

Thanks, I'm glad I don't have to spend the spoons in figuring out what to do, and at the last workout the RPE was spot on :). I'm curious for max day too, I'm hoping for some impressive numbers :lol:.

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Honestly I think these can be good reasons to skip, especially the tired part where there is the risk that the training will do your mental health more harm than good. If you were skipping all the time it might be different but you are very consistent! 

Thanks, that means a lot to me :). I don't like it that I'm regularly crying all night if a workout was too hard, but I guess that's life. If I can predict on beforehand that it will be bad, I'd rather skip that day and not build up more resistance to go in the future. I didn't have the idea that I'm very consistent though; there are others that seem to be much more consistent (mostly the KB'ers).

Today is a bad day mentally

Spoiler

I've got a lot of chore- and yard anxiety at the moment. Yard-work is always stressful for me because I don't know if it is "good enough": should I prune the ivy more, or less? Is our ivy bothering other people because it's too big? Is it too ugly because I pruned too much? Should I weed all of the clover-things from between my tiles, or doesn't it matter if it looks messy? Repeat this anxiety for all plants visible from the street. Then there's chores; I'm low on energy, the cleaning lady is on vacation and my bf is not carrying the mental load. Our house stinks of cats, the kitchen is dirty, and then there's a hundred tasks that should be done some time but not now, so they do not get done. Even simple things like "clean your sink" feel too overwhelming right now, since every time I see the sink and counters, they are dirty again.

• Sad 1

That looks like a lovely place to hike!

House stuff:

Spoiler

First, hugs - getting behind on house stuff makes me really stressed, too. Is it possible to blitz through some of the easy stuff so that you can relax? E.g., clearing surfaces (even if it's just putting the things in a pile/basket) and straightening blankets/pillows can make a big mental difference for me.  If that's too much, maybe focus on one room so you have a safe haven? 

I hear you on the kitchen side - it's a never ending battle. Hope your reinforcements (the cleaning lady) can come back soon. 

• Like 2

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

House stuff:

Hide contents

First, hugs - getting behind on house stuff makes me really stressed, too. Is it possible to blitz through some of the easy stuff so that you can relax? E.g., clearing surfaces (even if it's just putting the things in a pile/basket) and straightening blankets/pillows can make a big mental difference for me.  If that's too much, maybe focus on one room so you have a safe haven? 

I hear you on the kitchen side - it's a never ending battle. Hope your reinforcements (the cleaning lady) can come back soon. 

Spoiler

That sounds like a good plan... Although I might end up with more boxes with random stuff lying around :rolleyes:. I decided to put 4 pairs of shoes in a box in the attic for throwing away, and tidied the bedroom. Like you said, that's at least one room free of clutter. My bf will vacuum there later today, so that's clean enough. My anxiety levels have lowered enough that I can actually do stuff again, so it is really an act of deciding how much energy I should spend now to have less stress later.

• Like 2

I didn't have the idea that I'm very consistent though; there are others that seem to be much more consistent (mostly the KB'ers).

Don't just compare yourself to the handful of people that are even more consistent, you're easily in the top 10% yourself. Just look at the registration list this past week- I know some people will be on holiday, but many are just not coming because we aren't there, even if I wrote them programs to do. (Please note that I don't blame those people or think less of them, its fine, they're only human too and have their own priorities/issues etc- but just pointing out the contrast. You are doing great!) 

Oh and also those KB'ers are addicted, I literally have to threaten some of them to make them take some rest, they have their own problems x) Or they use black magic, you know who I'm talking about. 

5 hours ago, Waanie said:
Spoiler

That sounds like a good plan... Although I might end up with more boxes with random stuff lying around :rolleyes:. I decided to put 4 pairs of shoes in a box in the attic for throwing away, and tidied the bedroom. Like you said, that's at least one room free of clutter. My bf will vacuum there later today, so that's clean enough. My anxiety levels have lowered enough that I can actually do stuff again, so it is really an act of deciding how much energy I should spend now to have less stress later.

You handled that like a champ, adulting points for you. 

Spoiler

I've got a lot of chore- and yard anxiety at the moment. Yard-work is always stressful for me because I don't know if it is "good enough": should I prune the ivy more, or less? Is our ivy bothering other people because it's too big? Is it too ugly because I pruned too much? Should I weed all of the clover-things from between my tiles, or doesn't it matter if it looks messy? Repeat this anxiety for all plants visible from the street. Then there's chores; I'm low on energy, the cleaning lady is on vacation and my bf is not carrying the mental load. Our house stinks of cats, the kitchen is dirty, and then there's a hundred tasks that should be done some time but not now, so they do not get done. Even simple things like "clean your sink" feel too overwhelming right now, since every time I see the sink and counters, they are dirty again.

Spoiler

What is it that makes you care so much about what other people think about your visible-to-others-yard? Do you live in a neighbourhood where they are very strict about these things? Have there been complaints in the past? Do you think it's ok if it looks messy?

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl is a cargo bike mom

my instagram - my gym's instagram

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Don't just compare yourself to the handful of people that are even more consistent, you're easily in the top 10% yourself. Just look at the registration list this past week- I know some people will be on holiday, but many are just not coming because we aren't there, even if I wrote them programs to do. (Please note that I don't blame those people or think less of them, its fine, they're only human too and have their own priorities/issues etc- but just pointing out the contrast. You are doing great!) 

Oh and also those KB'ers are addicted, I literally have to threaten some of them to make them take some rest, they have their own problems x) Or they use black magic, you know who I'm talking about. 

Now that I look at it, there are many different names on the list past week, and many of them only once. It is harder to just go and workout if your regular group isn't there, so I do understand them as well. I can imagine that you have to threaten some of them to take some rest. I spoke to someone who's now doing a 6-a-week program (KB/strength), and a few of the KB-people are joining body control as well. Their recovery is black magic, especially the person you mentioned :D.

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:
  Hide contents

What is it that makes you care so much about what other people think about your visible-to-others-yard? Do you live in a neighbourhood where they are very strict about these things? Have there been complaints in the past? Do you think it's ok if it looks messy?

Spoiler

Mostly complaining neighbours and the fact that someone else has pruned our ivy without us knowing a few times. I don't really care if my backyard looks messy (trust me, it does), but I don't like handling the complaints. Somehow they also always go to me instead of bf...

Challenge week 1 (week starts at Monday):

Check in: 🦉🦉🦉🦉⚪🦉🦉

Lifting:      ⚪🏋️‍♀️⚪⚪⚪🏋️‍♀️⚪

Protein:   🍴🍴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

Mobility: 🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️

Week 2

Today was a good day, with a quick and relatively light strength training at the end of the afternoon:

Spoiler

A1 Walking lunges 6x8@14 KB (RPE 7-8)

A2 Ring rows 5x8 (RPE 6-7)

B1 Backsquat with 3s pause 5x4@40kg (RPE 7-8)

B2 Bench press 5x5@35kg (RPE 9)

C Deadlift 5x5@65kg (RPE6-7)

I took less rest than usually, which was good because I planned everything a little too tight. The gym was really quiet at that time as well, so claiming 2 squat racks for the squat/bench superset was no problem at all. It felt very intense to superset them with short breaks and then ALSO do deadlifts, but since the weights were on the light side, it felt good over all.

This morning I added some walnuts to my overnight oats with protein powder. It tasted nice, but somehow it was still too little to get me to lunch even with a banana as a snack.

On the bad side, I seem to be developing a cold. In the evening my nose started running, and since about 10 minutes ago I developed a sore throat :(. I hope I won't get all-out sick, but recover in the morning...

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Waanie said:

you have to threaten some of them to take some rest.

Ah, the discipline to take rest ..... elusive sometimes!!

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50

13 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Ah, the discipline to take rest ..... elusive sometimes!!

Generally not a problem for me, but I can easily go over my boundaries during a training :rolleyes:.

Today I indeed have a cold, as feared. It's not too bad, but since I'm out of covid self-tests, I'm isolating myself until my bf brings them home after work. It's nothing too bad, but staying at home is so... alone 😑. Even the cats are sleeping during daytime.

• Sad 2