Better late than never? 

At the end of this challenge we'll get the keys to our new house. I'd very much like a fresh start in the battle against chaos and clutter, which means that we should not move all of our stuff with us. While prepping for the move I'd also like to maintain my tenuous grasp on sanity and not completely lose all the progress made against chaos and anxiety* these past few months, which means keeping up with the things that help with that aka exercise, gardening or otherwise being outside and attempts at bullet journaling. 

Decluttering: 

- block out time for some major work together with Jaap

- tackle clothing (mine and the kids) and paper clutter on my own

- throw away 5 random things every day 

Maintaining grasp on sanity: 

- run, lift kettlebells and strength train twice a week each.. but try to be content with at least once

- do 5 min of work in the backyard or the garden every day

- just brain dump in my bujo, anything else is bonus, but just brain dump as often as possible

*The good news is that last Monday during our holiday I spend 4 hours catching up on admin stuff that I've been avoiding for literally months. I had build up a nice block against doing some of the things and somehow broke through all of that in one sitting. If only I could bottle some of that magic! 

• Like 6

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl is a cargo bike mom

my instagram - my gym's instagram

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I strongly recommend Marie Kondo's method for decluttering and tidying your house.

I tried that once after reading bits of her book at my sisters house and then watching some YouTube.. never got beyond the clothing part though x) 

but it was so nice to have the clothing done and I still fold most clothes her way. Ofcourse that was before baby nr2 and it definitely needs to be done again. 
But you guys working on it already did throw some sparks my way, I’ll definitely keep it in mind. 

14 hours ago, sylph said:

Here for this :)

Good to see you! How goes? 

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Moving is great motivation for de-cluttering.  

It adds a deadline that definitely lights a fire in my behind 😬

• Like 2

Im watching the kids at the playground while Jaap packs up our camping stuff. It has been fun, but camping with 2 young kids is intense and I honestly kinda need a vacation to recover from this vacation. We had planned to have a couple days off, but now we will be using those for moving prep instead of rest x) 

During our 7 day camping trip I went running twice and hiking twice, I did some kayaking and supping (which was surprisingly fun). I’m sore and stiff from sleeping oddly, hopefully that will sort itself out with a return to regular movement and beds :) 

• Like 3

Found you :). I really love your challenge. Six exercise sessions per week sounds a little high considering how much you did in the last past months, so I'm glad you're going to accept it if you won't manage that. It would be awesome though if you can get back to that volume :D.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, KB Girl said:

- throw away 5 random things every day 

You are so full of good ideas! I should do this too even though I'm not moving :lol:.

I'm glad that your vacation was fun, you guys really earned it :).

On 8/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, ApfelStrudi said:

Moving is the worst right up until you're done moving and got rid of so much stuff and know you won't have to move again for a very long time. Throwing away 5 random things every day sounds like such a good plan, I've spotted 5 things just having a look around where I'm sitting 😅

I'm looking forward to that point! seems a bit far away right now x) 

I do wonder if 5 things would ever get me anywhere if I wont also be doing some rigorous sessions.. still, all the little bits help :) all or something. 

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

Found you :). I really love your challenge. Six exercise sessions per week sounds a little high considering how much you did in the last past months, so I'm glad you're going to accept it if you won't manage that. It would be awesome though if you can get back to that volume :D.

Ah you're absolutely right! There definitely won't be 6 separate sessions, but with luck I'll combine some :)

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

You are so full of good ideas! I should do this too even though I'm not moving :lol:.

I'm glad that your vacation was fun, you guys really earned it :).

You know it really wouldn't be a bad thing to keep up forever and ever x) 

And thank you! I appreciate that more than I can say! 

• Like 1

Today we took the kids to my mom and then worked on the attic for 4-5 hours. It was mostly books, just lots and lots of books. We split them into three categories;

1. take to goodwill (5 boxes)

2. fantasy (9 boxes)

3. non-fantasy (2 boxes)

x) 

After coming back from my trip to the goodwill, I looked around at the mess and had some panicky feelings. Partially from being overwhelmed at the enormity of the task before us and partially from the thought of living in a mess of packed boxes for the next 5-6 weeks. So instead of continuing I went to the garden. In the past I would have felt too guilty at leaving Jaap alone with the mess or too guilty for not using my kid-free time for what I was supposed to use it for. This was much smarter as I'm pretty useless when panicking anyway. Adulting points for me. 

My last visit to the garden was 9 days earlier so there was lots to do. Again feeling a little overwhelmed, but it was much easier to handle- probably because worst case scenario is I do nothing and go home and there are lots of weeds and harvest goes to waste. Sad but not the end of the world. I started with picking all the cucumbers, they had already grown a bit too large. Then planted broad bean seedlings, cut back some weeds and zucchini leaves that were taking over, admired all the growing things and watered a bit. More tomorrow. 

After taking the kids to bed I went for a run. A 5 minute bike ride to the woods then 6x1:30 intervals with 2:00 walking in between. It had gotten a bit dark under the trees but I could still see where I was going so it was all good. Calves were complaining though. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I'm looking forward to that point! seems a bit far away right now x) 

I do wonder if 5 things would ever get me anywhere if I wont also be doing some rigorous sessions.. still, all the little bits help :) all or something. 

I think even if you move with some stuff you don’t want to keep, getting rid of a portion of it helps. I did this trick in my last move where I procrastinated unpacking things, which I don’t necessarily recommend but it did show me what I actually use and what just takes up space cause it stayed in the boxes and then I just threw the whole box out after 😅

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

My last visit to the garden was 9 days earlier so there was lots to do. Again feeling a little overwhelmed, but it was much easier to handle- probably because worst case scenario is I do nothing and go home and there are lots of weeds and harvest goes to waste. Sad but not the end of the world. I started with picking all the cucumbers, they had already grown a bit too large. Then planted broad bean seedlings, cut back some weeds and zucchini leaves that were taking over, admired all the growing things and watered a bit. More tomorrow. 

After taking the kids to bed I went for a run. A 5 minute bike ride to the woods then 6x1:30 intervals with 2:00 walking in between. It had gotten a bit dark under the trees but I could still see where I was going so it was all good. Calves were complaining though. 

Your garden honestly sounds fantastic. I tried growing cucumbers on my balcony and failed enormously (they’re still alive, they just don’t have cucumbers on them). If you end up with tons of cucumbers and don’t know what to do with them: I’ve been making green goddess salad at least once a week and it’s so, so good. 

i think I’m gonna try the bike ride for warm up idea! My calves are mostly alright (although my running intervals are much shorter than yours so that might change) but the Z5K program is gonna make warm up walks much shorter so biking seems like a perfect idea. 

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Following! Moving can be super exciting (especially when it is to your own house!) but it's definitely also very stressful. I like your balance of tackling what you need to while also making time to stay healthy and sane. 

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

1. take to goodwill (5 boxes)

2. fantasy (9 boxes)

3. non-fantasy (2 boxes)

x) 

That's about a third of the attic books that you won't have to move - that's a great start! 

I approve of the amount of fantasy books, too :D 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

13 hours ago, ApfelStrudi said:

I think even if you move with some stuff you don’t want to keep, getting rid of a portion of it helps. I did this trick in my last move where I procrastinated unpacking things, which I don’t necessarily recommend but it did show me what I actually use and what just takes up space cause it stayed in the boxes and then I just threw the whole box out after 😅

Your garden honestly sounds fantastic. I tried growing cucumbers on my balcony and failed enormously (they’re still alive, they just don’t have cucumbers on them). If you end up with tons of cucumbers and don’t know what to do with them: I’ve been making green goddess salad at least once a week and it’s so, so good. 

i think I’m gonna try the bike ride for warm up idea! My calves are mostly alright (although my running intervals are much shorter than yours so that might change) but the Z5K program is gonna make warm up walks much shorter so biking seems like a perfect idea. 

I actually proposed something like that to Jaap, I said, why don't we just move our essentials and start living in the new house and then take 3 weeks to go through our stuff. He thought that was ridiculous, though tbh I still think the idea has merit. 

Did you get flowers on the cucumbers? Tbh normally the cucumbers don't actually leave the garden, the kids eat them before that can happen. If this batch tastes alright (they start to go bitter when they grow too big) I'll make some pickles :)

11 hours ago, Alanna said:

Following! Moving can be super exciting (especially when it is to your own house!) but it's definitely also very stressful. I like your balance of tackling what you need to while also making time to stay healthy and sane. 

That's about a third of the attic books that you won't have to move - that's a great start! 

I approve of the amount of fantasy books, too :D 

Hey! :) I'm aiming for somewhat sane, gotta be realistic ;)

I'm looking forward to having those books in an accessible location, this attic doesn't have a permanent stairs so you have to go up with a ladder, but the new house has real stairs going up to the attic so I can just easily go up there and pick something out. 

• Like 1

This morning we went for a long hike with friends, it was nice. Then we went to the garden for a couple hours. The kids enjoy it the most when there is a lot to harvest. We took out all the potatoes, a good basket full, lots of beets, zucchini/courgette, a pumpkin, chard, lettuce, radishes, green beans and our first red tomatoes :)

I found a spot for some seedlings (snow peas, sugars snaps, string beans and marrowfat peas), normally they're spring crops but I'm hopeful they'll give a fall harvest. 

My plan was to go to the gym this evening but my neck/upper back was a lot worse when I woke up and even worse after hiking/gardening.. After dinner Jaap did some manipulation on my spine and it feels a lot better now but general rule is to not lift heavy things after having your spine manipulated. So no lifting/kettlebells at all this week, but since I was on holiday for most of it that's ok and I'll just start fresh tomorrow- hopefully with a better neck situation. 

Spoiler

9FBC7E1C-3DFF-463E-8150-7DD8E5290726.thumb.jpeg.e851bf8ad5c12263d87121bcb1bb6a00.jpeg

FF4043A4-FFEA-4CA2-967E-DDA2A6378C88.jpeg.7c258645fa4479e8a61750535cad03b9.jpeg    86BAC930-38D9-471D-B7AF-E3E116CB795F.thumb.jpeg.f4ae2f5b15a456a247a6d6b14e7747f5.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/6/2022 at 11:03 PM, KB Girl said:

After coming back from my trip to the goodwill, I looked around at the mess and had some panicky feelings. Partially from being overwhelmed at the enormity of the task before us and partially from the thought of living in a mess of packed boxes for the next 5-6 weeks. So instead of continuing I went to the garden. In the past I would have felt too guilty at leaving Jaap alone with the mess or too guilty for not using my kid-free time for what I was supposed to use it for. This was much smarter as I'm pretty useless when panicking anyway. Adulting points for me. 

I'm proud of you for recognizing you had to get  out and then also did something productive! I'm sure that Jaap would rather have you not panicking than panicking, even though that means he has to pack a few more boxes. Do you maybe have an attic or garage where you can dump the boxes for now? Or one of the children's rooms?

Your harvest looks amazing :). Fresh tomatoes are absolutely the best.

• Thanks 1
On 8/8/2022 at 8:54 PM, Waanie said:

I'm proud of you for recognizing you had to get  out and then also did something productive! I'm sure that Jaap would rather have you not panicking than panicking, even though that means he has to pack a few more boxes. Do you maybe have an attic or garage where you can dump the boxes for now? Or one of the children's rooms?

Your harvest looks amazing :). Fresh tomatoes are absolutely the best.

Jaap's been great and patient and helpful :) 

The boxes are all in the children's room right now yea.. we might move them back up to the attic once it's completely emptied out.. it's a pain to move stuff on that ladder, but we've got 4-5 weeks to go so..

• Like 1

Yesterday was a rough day. Jaap and our 5yo went to the garden to make new compost bins and take care of some other things. Our 2yo stayed home with me and the idea was that we would tidy up and clean the house + continue with decluttering. Honestly I did get quite a bit done in the end, but it was a continuous fight against my brain either panicking or freezing or shutting down. What a pain! 

Today Jaap's mom took the kids to do fun things while he and I continued the decluttering. I did the last of the books and my own clothes while Jaap got started on all the kids clothes we had in storage containers. We ended up bringing 7 bags of kids clothes to the goodwill, 1 bag of my regular clothes and 1 bag full of my pregnancy clothes... that last was a bit difficult because a part of me really wants another child and another part of me is much more practical and thinks its a terrible idea. 

My brain was still being a pain but it was easier without a small child around and Jaap there to help coregulate me with hugs and his calm. 

We ordered Chinese for dinner. I had lots of chocolate. Tomorrow I need to lift a barbell or I will go crazy. 

• Like 2

Sorry it was a rough day yesterday. Hugs, good food, and chocolate seems like good comfort. . Hoping you get to lift tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Wednesday I did indeed start my day by lifting some barbells. Took it easy and was careful both because my neck was still feeling off and to avoid crazy post-holiday DOMS. It felt good to lift though. Went to the garden, made zucchini soup and beetroot soup to freeze and did some sorting through stuff. Wednesday was also my first day back to work, had 3 classes in the evening. It was good to be back. In the evening my neck felt quite bad again, Jaap popped one vertebrae back in position for me which gave some relief. 

Thursday was hard because we had all slept very badly, our 5yo has chicken pox and woke us up frequently. In the morning she was feeling great though, which was ironic but also a relief. I let Jaap sleep in and we took the day off from sorting through stuff. We went to the garden and into town for an errand and ice cream. 

Today was a long day. Good though. My neck was feeling a lot better, did the morning classes/appointments and then got some training of my own in, still careful. I even did some snatch work, started with an 8kg and worked my way up to 14kg very conscious of how my neck was feeling. Spend the afternoon with the kids in the park and then went back to the gym to teach the evening classes. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChKK8qjokA4/

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Today was a long day. Good though. My neck was feeling a lot better, did the morning classes/appointments and then got some training of my own in, still careful. I even did some snatch work, started with an 8kg and worked my way up to 14kg very conscious of how my neck was feeling. Spend the afternoon with the kids in the park and then went back to the gym to teach the evening classes. 

I'm glad you're feeling better! How did the training feel today?

9 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm glad you're feeling better! How did the training feel today?

Thanks! Not bad really.. hot though ;) 

I did some extra hip work in between sets and split squats were heavy but aren’t they always? 

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad your daughter felt better soon, and your neck is improving.

What is your zucchini soup recipe? I have so much zucchini !

Me too, thank you!

We have a crazy amount of zucchini too, but plenty of favourite recipes :)

My soup is a Turkish recipe from my mom, I use the lighter green skinned zucchini for this, but I’m pretty sure it’ll work fine with the darker green. Fry up one onion and 3 cloves garlic, then add 1 big carrot and 3-5 potatoes (diced small). I usually add some salt at this point to bring out the flavour. Throw in either one overgrown zucchini or 2-3 smaller ones in a slightly larger dice, then add vegetable or chicken broth and a bit of water until the veggies are just under. While it simmers dice up a couple of tomatoes and add those. 5-10 more minutes and it’s all done :) 

And I have a recipe that probably works with gluten free pasta just as well, I use a cheese slicer to make thin zucchini slices and fry those up in lots of butter with lots of garlic powder, then I add those to some boiled pasta, optionally some halved cherry tomatoes stirred in or avocado cubes. It’s lovely! I’ve served it with fish before or just like that. 

Spoiler

A0ECFD7E-81CD-4E78-9B88-41D4836440B2.thumb.jpeg.b56477563e24a2e280ecb5202f092341.jpeg

• Like 2

Oooh, beautiful vegetables. And yay on the new house, though not so much yay about the moving. I hope your new home is blessed ❤️

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru