I'm new! Look at me!

Bonjour all,

I'm Eddard. I'm 26 and live in New York (Staten Island, ohpleasestoplaughingatme). I've read Nerd Fitness for years, lurked a bit on the boards a while back, then disappeared for a while. In the meantime, I got married and started grad school (studying Urban Planning). After going through one of my weekly existential crises, I decided to try something different and actually act on an impulse.

So here I am.

I'm a fledgling nerd as evidenced by both my username and my bizarre fixation on inconsequential continuity errors.

Oh yea, fitness goals! I'm 5'8, weight about 170. About 2 years ago, I was at 160, finally put on a bit of lean muscle, and dropped a significant amount of body fat. I was running 5ks weekly, and was getting my runs up to almost 10 miles. I do like to run, but more for fun and ritual rather than fitness. I'm very much into short, high intensity body weight workouts, though I've fallen badly off the good food/exercise wagon. Can't afford a gym just yet, and would really enjoy spending most of my workout time outside.

Laziness has transformed by body into a shape resembling a flabby pear. My waist is at about 35 inches. I'd like to get that down significantly. It's almost as if craft brews (which I love oh so much) deposit themselves directly in my gut. The numbers are pretty tangential. I'd really like to increase my strength, speed, and endurance first, and enjoy the physical improvements as a happy afterthought.

Thanks for sitting through the rambling. Looking forward to getting started.

Cheers.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.â€

-Tyrion Lannister

Current weight: 180

4 Week Challenge Goal: 175

Long Term Goal: 165

Waist Measurement: 37.5"

4 Week Challenge Goal: 37.5

Long Term Goal: 32"

That's a good idea. Goals to follow!

1) Get mile time down to 7 minutes. (Currently around 9 minutes-ish)

2) Do 10 dead hang pullups (I'm at three, at the most)

3) Do 75 pushups in a row (I can do about 20)

4) Do 50 kb swings in a row (I can do about 20 now)

5) Bike to work every day for a month (I'm doing maybe 3 days a week now)

6) Complete a 10 mile run (for the first time in about 2 years)

I just started yesterday with a basic bodyweight circuit, and 5 sets of 40yard wind sprints. Tiring, but I feel good so far. Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to getting involved.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.â€

-Tyrion Lannister

Thanks Pat! You rock.

-Tyrion Lannister

Welcome and it's always depressing when people's starting point beat my end goal (I'd kill for a 10 minute mile, I'm that cr@p at running).

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Think about it this way. I'd say a ten minute mile would be better than a very large majority of the population. It's a great goal to have, and one that was once my end point as well.

It's amazing how well incremental changes work for running. About 3 years ago I started with very slow, .5 to 1 mile runs. I left my watch at home, and just focused on getting comfortable with the distance. Every couple of weeks, I'd either increase the distance or intensity. Within about 3 months I was up to comfortable 5k's, and hit a high of about 10 miles without being terribly exhausted.

Again, I fell off the wagon, so I'm basically back to square one. But it's great having a plan. Thanks for the kind words.

-Tyrion Lannister

Think about it this way. I'd say a ten minute mile would be better than a very large majority of the population. It's a great goal to have, and one that was once my end point as well.

It's amazing how well incremental changes work for running. About 3 years ago I started with very slow, .5 to 1 mile runs. I left my watch at home, and just focused on getting comfortable with the distance. Every couple of weeks, I'd either increase the distance or intensity. Within about 3 months I was up to comfortable 5k's, and hit a high of about 10 miles without being terribly exhausted.

Again, I fell off the wagon, so I'm basically back to square one. But it's great having a plan. Thanks for the kind words.

No, thank YOU for the kind words :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask