WhiteGhost Sticks to the Side Quests

On 9/20/2022 at 1:56 AM, WhiteGhost said:

In previous years I have seen all the cool kids doing their Inktober drawings and I was hesitant to try because I wasn't at that level. This year I somehow discovered that I no longer care and am just doing my own creativity even if it is actually pretty terrible.  It is the first time I have been able to enjoy it regardless of the actual outcome.

I know it's super common and I have a bit of that myself, but it's such a weird way of thinking. You'd never say something like "well what's the point of lifting weights if I can't lift as much as the top guys?".  It's especially weird since art is not even competitive (unless going pro). And how come it's not the same with for example playing instruments...? Anyways, it's an awesome mind shift! And it sounds to me like we should put together an inktober crew. :) 

Btw it's crazy to me that you can get teacher certified in a year, here you need a master's degree to be allowed to teach! On top of a subject specific or teaching bachelor's. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1
1 hour ago, deftona said:

What is this an interview for? I have been away and missed a lot it appears! 

I applied for a job at a school (for a non-teaching position), and am waiting to hear back if they have any interest

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Btw it's crazy to me that you can get teacher certified in a year, here you need a master's degree to be allowed to teach! On top of a subject specific or teaching bachelor's. 

I think this is typically true most places, but they have something called a SME waiver (Subject Matter Expertise or Subject Matter Equivalence, or something) in which the certifying agency will typically consider 5 years of relevant work experience to be equivalent to a Masters and 10 years work experience equivalent to a PhD.  This is done to attract working professionals to come into education and pass on real world experience.  When I was university (studying finance), the majority of my professors were hired based on this program.  

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I know it's super common and I have a bit of that myself, but it's such a weird way of thinking. You'd never say something like "well what's the point of lifting weights if I can't lift as much as the top guys?".  It's especially weird since art is not even competitive (unless going pro). And how come it's not the same with for example playing instruments...? Anyways, it's an awesome mind shift! And it sounds to me like we should put together an inktober crew. :) 

You are not wrong, it really is strange and illogical, but I assume it is also super prevalent.   

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think this is typically true most places, but they have something called a SME waiver (Subject Matter Expertise or Subject Matter Equivalence, or something) in which the certifying agency will typically consider 5 years of relevant work experience to be equivalent to a Masters and 10 years work experience equivalent to a PhD.  This is done to attract working professionals to come into education and pass on real world experience.  When I was university (studying finance), the majority of my professors were hired based on this program.  

Pretty sure the same is true for universities here (when relevant to the subject), but primary/secondary school education have much stricter requirements. :) 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Pretty sure the same is true for universities here (when relevant to the subject), but primary/secondary school education have much stricter requirements. :) 

I am no expert in education, but based on what I have read up based on the certifying boards own websites, the requirements are not more strict for the lower grades except to the extent that relevant expertise becomes harder to get.  High school offer far few classes than a university, and elementary school teachers have to be able to teach from a very broad curriculum, and that kind of expertise is rarely found in the business world.

But let's be real here, I am never going to be certified to teach history.  I could probably convince the school that it is reasonable to create a financial literacy class for high school seniors and I could get certified to teach that class.  Then they could also staff me to teach PE, which is a class they are currently desperate for teachers.  Having teachers pull double duty to cover PE is so common it is pretty much a meme.

• Like 4

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Sunday Sep 25

I had church int he morning as usual and then in the afternoon I did a sketch and practiced piano.  After that Ghostess asked me to bake her another pumpkin pie because she wanted to take it to her salon.  In the evening we had D&D and it was really nice to be able to play again.  I had missed the last couple of sessions due to connectivity issues and while yesterday I was only barely connected it was enough to participate.  We were one dice roll from a TPK at one point and our rogue pulled out a Hail Mary and saved us all.  Well, almost all of us, @DarK_RaideR's character's cursed swords turned on him and he ended up petrified.  I hope we are able to find a way to reverse the curse, but at this point it seems unlikely.

I cleaned the vacuum and read scriptures before going to bed

I have been promoted to the rank of Journeyman in the Mages Guild (Spirituality)

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

Level 2 Ninja

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Then they could also staff me to teach PE, which is a class they are currently desperate for teachers.  Having teachers pull double duty to cover PE is so common it is pretty much a meme.

That's funny, when I was in secondary school (11-16 years old here) I had a year of our PE teacher doing double duty to teach French. It was an interesting choice, as he couldn't really speak French.

• Haha 6

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 12  -  CON: 9  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 5  -  INT: 10

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric's ADVENTure

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

13 hours ago, Jarric said:

That's funny, when I was in secondary school (11-16 years old here) I had a year of our PE teacher doing double duty to teach French. It was an interesting choice, as he couldn't really speak French.

I feel kind of bad for the poor students who were hoping to learn some French.  When I was in high school we never had a dedicated coach and I learned PE from first the geography teacher and later from the geometry teacher.

-------------------------------------

Monday Sep 26

I went to the park in the morning for a workout and primarily focused on gymnastics skills.  I finished it off as usual with sprinting and stretching.

I have been promoted to Swordsman in the Fighters Guild (Cardio)

I practiced piano for a bit and then planned to play some Skyrim in the afternoon but it had to update so I ended up playing some Cyberpunk instead.  In the evening I took my father in law and his relatives to the train station because his relatives were heading back home.  After I got back I spent the rest of the evening playing more Cyberpunk.

• Like 5

Level 2 Ninja

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

We were one dice roll from a TPK at one point and our rogue pulled out a Hail Mary and saved us all.  Well, almost all of us, @DarK_RaideR's character's cursed swords turned on him and he ended up petrified.  I hope we are able to find a way to reverse the curse, but at this point it seems unlikely.

Oh my gosh!! That's wild!!

• Like 1
On 9/25/2022 at 1:03 AM, WhiteGhost said:

The conclusion was the same, though, in that if she wants her back to recover completely she is going to have to spend less time in the office and more time laying down.  We are trying to figure out how she can do that given how busy she is at work.

Nooooo! Phone calls can be made lying down, but laptop use is harder, if you need a certain back position that's not propped up a little.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:55 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I know it's super common and I have a bit of that myself, but it's such a weird way of thinking. You'd never say something like "well what's the point of lifting weights if I can't lift as much as the top guys?".  It's especially weird since art is not even competitive (unless going pro). And how come it's not the same with for example playing instruments...?

I think it often is true for playing instruments. There are a lot of people who pick up a guitar, get discouraged, and quit. Practicing scales and chords kills so many budding musical interests. People start doing art of all sorts (painting, writing, music) because they have art they love, and for a long time after they begin, their taste in art is better than their skill to produce what they have in mind, so they only see the shortcomings in their work compared to the work they love, and it's pretty battering on the ego, until you get to the point of seeing it as a good part of the process rather than a failure. It's kind of less of an issue with lifts, because if you do a set of lifts with good form, you've done a set of lifts with the form, even if you haven't hit a weight goal.

(The lesson of this, I suspect, is to place the importance on the process rather than the goal. The practicing is what we should measure for our sense of accomplishment, not the end product. We usually do it with lifting, and even have a whole mental model of ladders and small progressive improvements to put our focus back on process, but it's a much harder mindset to adopt with painting or writing. Music, slightly easier, but still very rough on some people.)

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

(The lesson of this, I suspect, is to place the importance on the process rather than the goal. The practicing is what we should measure for our sense of accomplishment, not the end product. We usually do it with lifting, and even have a whole mental model of ladders and small progressive improvements to put our focus back on process, but it's a much harder mindset to adopt with painting or writing. Music, slightly easier, but still very rough on some people.)

I think the other benefit lifting has is how easy it is to track. With all types of art you can usually see improvement from one year to the next, but it's really hard to see it on a shorter timescale. With lifting, particularly for new lifters, it's really easy to see that the weight/reps are increasing incrementally each session and that gives an immediate feeling that you're getting better.

• Like 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 9/25/2022 at 11:55 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I am no expert in education, but based on what I have read up based on the certifying boards own websites, the requirements are not more strict for the lower grades except to the extent that relevant expertise becomes harder to get.  High school offer far few classes than a university, and elementary school teachers have to be able to teach from a very broad curriculum, and that kind of expertise is rarely found in the business world.

In Finland it is. For the lower grades you'd absolutely need a bachelor's in pedagogy, plus a masters. For other subjects you can get away with the masters and a subject specific undergrad degree. PE is the same, you need a master's in sports pedagogy. It's kinda crazy really. I don't know if Sweden has the same strict requirements but I highly doubt that PE is much better in Finland than it is in Sweden. And PE in Sweden sucked. Teaching is a very competitive here though.

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think it often is true for playing instruments. There are a lot of people who pick up a guitar, get discouraged, and quit. Practicing scales and chords kills so many budding musical interests. People start doing art of all sorts (painting, writing, music) because they have art they love, and for a long time after they begin, their taste in art is better than their skill to produce what they have in mind, so they only see the shortcomings in their work compared to the work they love, and it's pretty battering on the ego, until you get to the point of seeing it as a good part of the process rather than a failure. It's kind of less of an issue with lifts, because if you do a set of lifts with good form, you've done a set of lifts with the form, even if you haven't hit a weight goal.

Totally. But I feel that while the initial drop off for music is insanely high (with people playing an instrument once or twice, realizing it's hard and giving up), at some point it stabilizes and they're happy noodling about on their guitar. While amateur visual artists beat themselves up indefinitely. But it could also be that for most people the visual system is way more developed than the hearing system, so maybe it is the same thing but the scale is different. 🤔I think there's also a strong harmful narrative of the lone creative genius and that either you have the talent or you don't. But I'm just speculating here, my impression is mostly based on comments I see scattered around on the internet. 😛 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Oh my gosh!! That's wild!!

It was pretty wild.  We were doing really well at first but then the dice betrayed us :D 

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Nooooo! Phone calls can be made lying down, but laptop use is harder, if you need a certain back position that's not propped up a little.

At her level most of the stuff she has to be in the office for are face to face meetings, at which, while technically doable laying down, it tends to reduce your negotiating leverage significantly ;) 

I am not sure how this works for other people, but I have studied enough musical theory and practiced musical instruments enough that I understand the steps for progression and can recognize progress even when incremental.  For art, I have no idea if the things I am practicing are helping and if any progress is even happening, which leads to frustration.

While that is certainly a useful takeaway, I think the lesson for me is that I need to identify the indicators of progress so I can feel like I am leveling up rather than engaging in fruitless effort that will leave me frustrated but no more skilled, or significantly less skilled, than if I had been doing something better.  Or at least try to figure out ways to recognize when I am leveling up.

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

I think the other benefit lifting has is how easy it is to track. With all types of art you can usually see improvement from one year to the next, but it's really hard to see it on a shorter timescale. With lifting, particularly for new lifters, it's really easy to see that the weight/reps are increasing incrementally each session and that gives an immediate feeling that you're getting better.

The sense that you are leveling up definitely helps

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

In Finland it is. For the lower grades you'd absolutely need a bachelor's in pedagogy, plus a masters. For other subjects you can get away with the masters and a subject specific undergrad degree. PE is the same, you need a master's in sports pedagogy. It's kinda crazy really. I don't know if Sweden has the same strict requirements but I highly doubt that PE is much better in Finland than it is in Sweden. And PE in Sweden sucked. Teaching is a very competitive here though.

Ha, well I can tell you that I will never get certified to teach in Scandinavia :D 

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Totally. But I feel that while the initial drop off for music is insanely high (with people playing an instrument once or twice, realizing it's hard and giving up), at some point it stabilizes and they're happy noodling about on their guitar. While amateur visual artists beat themselves up indefinitely. But it could also be that for most people the visual system is way more developed than the hearing system, so maybe it is the same thing but the scale is different. 🤔I think there's also a strong harmful narrative of the lone creative genius and that either you have the talent or you don't. But I'm just speculating here, my impression is mostly based on comments I see scattered around on the internet. 😛 

That is an interesting theory.  I do agree that the notion that you either have the talent or you don't is highly damaging

----------------------------------------------

Tuesday Sep 27

First thing in the morning I secretly sat in on a Board of Directors call with Ghostess for a US company they have invested in to make sure she wasn't missing any of the nuance. 

After the call, instead of going to the park, my in-laws needed me to chauffeur them around to get their drivers licences renewed.  It took pretty much all morning because they had to go to multiple different places: first to get a physical (checking for visual, hearing or other signs of aging that would impair driving, then to a place where they were told to take a cognitive test only to discover that it was the wrong place and so we ended up having to drive almost to the edge of the city for the their cognitive tests (all of this is required for anyone over 70, and the tests are annual) .  In total it ended up more than 3 hours.

In the afternoon I practiced piano for a bit and then played Cyberpunk.  In the evening I did a sketch, read some scripture and cleaned out the vacuum and then changed over and played some Skyrim

I have been promoted to the rank of Prowler in the Thieves Guild (Sketching)

• Like 8

Level 2 Ninja

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think there's also a strong harmful narrative of the lone creative genius and that either you have the talent or you don't.

Definitely agree with this. There's a real romance to the notion of the starving artist, and a huge myth that successful artists (in which I include musicians, actors, any kind of art) do it all on their own. People don't seem to realise that most artists aren't actually self-taught, and even those who are still don't learn how to do what they do in a vacuum.

This also creates another common misconception; the idea that talented people just get it and that they don't have to work hard. In reality talent helps, but 90% of success is putting in the work.

• Like 3

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

On 9/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, sarakingdom said:

People start doing art of all sorts (painting, writing, music) because they have art they love, and for a long time after they begin, their taste in art is better than their skill to produce what they have in mind, so they only see the shortcomings in their work compared to the work they love, and it's pretty battering on the ego, until you get to the point of seeing it as a good part of the process rather than a failure. It's kind of less of an issue with lifts, because if you do a set of lifts with good form, you've done a set of lifts with the form, even if you haven't hit a weight goal.

I am conscious of my bodyweight exercises improving because I track my numbers and increase the difficulty slowly but steadily, but I also suffer the insecurity of feeling like it's not enough so I should give up. I know it's wrong, so maybe I'll bring my artist brain into the fight to stand up for the improvements I've gotten by drawing people over and over as my skills developed.

(Thanks for your comments)

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

While amateur visual artists beat themselves up indefinitely. But it could also be that for most people the visual system is way more developed than the hearing system, so maybe it is the same thing but the scale is different. 🤔I think there's also a strong harmful narrative of the lone creative genius and that either you have the talent or you don't. But I'm just speculating here, my impression is mostly based on comments I see scattered around on the internet. 😛 

I've seen that, too. My best guess is that it's along the lines of comparing to others rather than comparing to your past self. Also of comparing the image against the reference. If the brain has a picture and the hand can't convey it in the style and detail the brain had, they might give up hope of ever managing to do so, but continuing to practice and learn would eventually bring them success.

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For art, I have no idea if the things I am practicing are helping and if any progress is even happening, which leads to frustration.

While that is certainly a useful takeaway, I think the lesson for me is that I need to identify the indicators of progress so I can feel like I am leveling up rather than engaging in fruitless effort that will leave me frustrated but no more skilled, or significantly less skilled, than if I had been doing something better.  Or at least try to figure out ways to recognize when I am leveling up.

In looking at my art growth since childhood, my abilities to draw a person developed as my style changed. They started out angular, transitioned to flat, started rounding out, and now have a fairly realistic look. The easiest way to know you're improving is to draw the same thing more than once. 

As for resources to know what to improve, there are art books to consider, or classes online. I will say I primarily draw women, but I found an art book on how to draw men (in a style that matched my level of realism) that was useful in instructing me on how to pose them differently, and on how to draw them differently from women without making them some caricature. If you're drawing people, places, animals, cartoons, things, etc. there's definitely a number of art books that will help you see what you can improve in the things you're already drawing. :)

6 hours ago, Jarric said:

This also creates another common misconception; the idea that talented people just get it and that they don't have to work hard. In reality talent helps, but 90% of success is putting in the work.

True :D

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Jarric said:

And to continue to put in the work. Professional musicians don't stop practicing often and regularly just because they've reached the position they want (lead guitarist, orchestra member, and so on). If anything, that's when the really hard work begins.

• Like 4

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V

17 hours ago, Jarric said:

Very good reminder.  This is so easy to forget, regardless of what it is we suck at.

11 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

am conscious of my bodyweight exercises improving because I track my numbers and increase the difficulty slowly but steadily, but I also suffer the insecurity of feeling like it's not enough so I should give up. I know it's wrong, so maybe I'll bring my artist brain into the fight to stand up for the improvements I've gotten by drawing people over and over as my skills developed.

(Thanks for your comments)

Having some kind of measurable metric makes a huge difference.  

11 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

As for resources to know what to improve, there are art books to consider, or classes online. I will say I primarily draw women, but I found an art book on how to draw men (in a style that matched my level of realism) that was useful in instructing me on how to pose them differently, and on how to draw them differently from women without making them some caricature. If you're drawing people, places, animals, cartoons, things, etc. there's definitely a number of art books that will help you see what you can improve in the things you're already drawing. :)

I have looked for resources and even found some good video tutorials back when I had access to online videos.  I will look for some more when (if!) internet connection comes back to normal

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And to continue to put in the work. Professional musicians don't stop practicing often and regularly just because they've reached the position they want (lead guitarist, orchestra member, and so on). If anything, that's when the really hard work begins.

Very good point

-------------------------

Wednesday Sep 28

I wanted to go workout in the park but I forgot to do my covid test on Tuesday so I was out of date and couldn't get into the park.  I thought about working out in the park (or at home) but in the end decided I would really rather just stay home and play xbox.  I ended up playing xbox pretty much the entire day.  The only thing I did towards my goals was practice piano.

I have been promoted to the rank of Honored Madman in the court of Madness (piano)

Oh, wait!  I also read some scripture so I made progress toward 2 :) 

• Like 7

Level 2 Ninja

On 9/28/2022 at 8:15 AM, Jarric said:

Yes, one thing I was going to say about measuring the process rather than the output is that it ties in heavily to growth mindset versus fixed mindset sorts of things. The irony is that putting the value on the process and not on the output is far, far more linked to successfully producing better output. It seems like the thing we evaluate and measure should be the thing that improves, but it's not really the case.

Actually learning to trust the process is very difficult, though.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yes, one thing I was going to say about measuring the process rather than the output is that it ties in heavily to growth mindset versus fixed mindset sorts of things. The irony is that putting the value on the process and not on the output is far, far more linked to successfully producing better output. It seems like the thing we evaluate and measure should be the thing that improves, but it's not really the case.

Actually learning to trust the process is very difficult, though.

Oh yeah, especially difficult because in most cases we don't understand the process enough to measure it without those result based milestones.

-----------------------------------

Yesterday I had the time to go to the park but I still didn't really want to.  So I didn't.  I spent the morning playing Skyrim instead.  In the afternoon I practiced piano for a bit and then when our cleaning lady was here I did a bunch of reading, finishing the 4 out 5 books in the Ender Saga.  In the evening I did a sketch, read some scripture and cleaned out the vacuum.

I have been promoted to the rank of Mymidon in the Arena (Sanitation)

• Like 5

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh yeah, especially difficult because in most cases we don't understand the process enough to measure it without those result based milestones.

Yeah, absolutely. Or worse, we made it up ourselves from what we've read, and we know we're not experts, so what is there to trust? (When the reality is that it's probably fine, because it's not magic, it's just a method to keep doing work, and if ìt does need to be improved, we'll probably notice that long before we max out the gains from what we're doing.)

• Like 3

On 9/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, absolutely. Or worse, we made it up ourselves from what we've read, and we know we're not experts, so what is there to trust? (When the reality is that it's probably fine, because it's not magic, it's just a method to keep doing work, and if ìt does need to be improved, we'll probably notice that long before we max out the gains from what we're doing.)

Yep

------------------------------------

Friday Sep 30

I went to the park in the morning, but instead of doing my sprints I stopped off at the vet on my way home to see if they have any of those newborn kitten bracelets to identify birth order.  I was thinking about this and as far as I know this isn't a big deal in the US, but here in China it is apparently extremely important for some reason.  Unfortunately the vet didn't have any so we bought some online and I hope they get here in time.  Wraith's due date is tomorrow and she looks ready to go any minute.

When I got back I did some stretching and then practiced piano.  I then proceeded to spend the entire rest of the evening playing Skyrim, even though the last update seems to have broken the game (NPCs can no longer move from the spot they spawned, which makes combat much easier if you can maneuver behind them, but if you need to follow someone or have someone move to progress the quest, you are SOL)

I have been promoted to the rank of Assassin in the Dark Brotherhood (Flexibility)

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

Saturday Oct 1

The rest of the family was sleeping in so I headed over to the park in the morning for a workout.  I followed it up with some sprints and stretching.  I practiced piano for a while and then spent a good part of the afternoon baking up a batch of cookies for Ghostlet to take with him on his campout the next day, and then in the evening we invited the in-laws over for dinner with plans to follow it up with a movie.  Dinner was great (I made some Yakisoba and Ghostess made some egg & tomato noodles, but as we were getting ready to walk out the door to the movies Wraith started going into pre-labor.  We cancelled the movie and spent the evening at home instead playing mahjong and watching wraith to see if she was going to go into real labor.  She still hadn't made any progress by the time the in-laws left and so Ghostess and I set up a rotation through the night to keep an eye on her

In the excitement of the day I forgot to get my covid test, so I drove over to the one place in town that does them after midnight so that I would be able to join Ghostlet in his campout.  While I was waiting for the testing place to open I did a sketch, read some scripture and cleaned the vacuum.

I have been promoted to the rank of Evoker in the Mages Guild (Spirituality)

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday Oct 2

Wraith had not made much progress through the night but continued to show signs that labor was imminent.  I got onto my church zoom call, but before it finished the excitement started

Trigger warning for unhappy content in the spoiler

Spoiler

Wraith went into labor about 10:45 and struggled to give birth to the first kitten until about 11:30 when the first one was delivered stillborn.  Deciding that this wasn't going well, we rushed over to the pet hospital.  We were there pretty much all day as Wraith struggled with her difficult labor.  In the end all 4 kittens ended up being stillborn, with the last one dying before it even entered the birth canal.  By some miracle, however, the doctor was able to resuscitate one of them through some amazing cat CPR.  Wraith stopped her labor before the last kitten came out, so we had to have surgery to get it out.  As long as we were cutting her open, we decided to have her spayed at the same time.  While we were waiting for the surgery, the one surviving kitten was able to find wraith to feed but wraith had no interest in the kitten,  she allowed him to feed but did not show any signs of affection toward him.  When we brought them all home it was almost midnight.  Ghostlet was a trooper and was completely understanding about having to miss the campout he had with his friends and we all helped Ghostess grieve for a while.  We arranged a small funeral for the 3 dead kittens and then proceeded to spend the rest of the night caring for the survivor because Wrath was in no condition to do so after her surgery.  

No progress was made toward any goals

• Sad 12

Level 2 Ninja

Spoiler

I am so sorry about the kitten situation. I know this meant a lot to Ghostess and I'm glad she has you and Ghostlet there to support her right now. I also really hope the surviving kitten makes it. 

• Thanks 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V

On 10/3/2022 at 11:52 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Reveal hidden contents

So far the little fellow seems to be doing well

---------------------------------

Monday Oct 3

The drama continued:

Spoiler

We spent pretty much the whole night getting up every couple of hours to feed the kitten and make sure he pooped.  It brought back memories from those days when Ghostlet was just born and made me really empathetic towards all new parents.  We continued to do this until early  afternoon when we took Wraith to the hospital for a checkup.  She seemed to be doing OK but still wasn't showing any signs of affection toward the kitten.

In the afternoon at some point after the hospital visit, we were feeding the little one and suddenly it was like a light switched on inside Wraith and she decided it was time to take custody of her kid.  She climbed into the little bed with him and started doing the normal cat mothering stuff.  She wanted to feed him, but after her surgery she needs to wear a special bib to keep her from licking open her stitches and the bib happens to also cover all of her nipples.  Apparently, I am the only one who has watched A Clockwork Orange and immediately saw the solution.  We cut holes in her bib to expose her nipples and from that point on was able to feed the little one by her own.  We couldn't be sure that she was generating enough milk, though, so we still continued to supplement with cat formula.  Now that it was looking more likely that he would survive, Ghostess and I spent some time in the evening thinking about names.  She came up with a Chinese name called FuBao (lucky baby) but I want to call him Lich, because he was brought back to life with powerful magic (cat CPR) and because I enjoy having the undead theme :) 

Stay tuned tomorrow for the next episode in the roller coaster saga of The Wraith Family Chronicles

I somehow managed to find time during the day to practice piano, draw a sketch, read some scripture and clean the vacuum twice.  

I have been given the title Duke of Dementia in the Court of Madness and rule over the District of Crucible (Piano)

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Level 2 Ninja

Spoiler

Sorry to hear about the kittens.  It's crazy how things can take a turn into the unexpected.  I'm happy to hear one was revived and Wraith is feeling better enough to jump in and care for her kitten.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Spoiler

Does the cat have to have only one name? FuBao Lich, or Lich Baby, seems more than fitting to me.

And that is great news, both that the kitten is doing better and that Wraith is feeling so much better that she is actively attempting to care for the kitten. That is very promising, and bodes very well for the kitten's future. Fingers firmly crossed and hoping that the good fortune continues!

• Like 1