The Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping It Simple

"In the Beginning"

by David Whyte

Sometimes simplicity rises
like a blossom of fire
from the white silk of your own skin.
You were there in the beginning
you heard the story, you heard the merciless
and tender words telling you where you had to go.
Exile is never easy and the journey
itself leaves a bitter taste. But then,
when you heard that voice, you had to go.
You couldn't sit by the fire, you couldn't live
so close to the live flame of that compassion
you had to go out in the world and make it your own
so you could come back with
that flame in your voice, saying listen...
this warmth, this unbearable light, this fearful love...
It is all here, it is all here.

For this challenge, I will be recovering, both from an impact injury to my back after running a 15 mile race and to my heart after some changes to the dynamic of our family (no, I'm not getting divorced). I decided to follow the advice I've been given several times when I have felt overwhelmed.

Keep it simple...

sunrise-new-day.gif

Simple Morning Routine:

• 0445 wakeup
  • read (scripture, poetry, philosophy, etc.)
  • meditate/pray
  • get grounded (bare feet on the earth)

yo-haciendo-yoga.gif

Simple Workout:

• 20 minutes a day of any activity my body can handle without pain (yoga, walking, stretching, etc.)

dietitian-tips-healthy-eating.gif

Simple Nutrition:

• eat real foods with simple ingredients
  • drink simply: water, tea, coffee, juice (no energy drinks, sodas, store-bought protein drinks, etc.)

And that's it. No pressure to "get it right," just the basics. I really need low-stress right now (or is low-impact a better word?).

(edited to add the "drink simply" goal)

• Like 4

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

its-pretty-simple-neil-degrasse-tyson.gi

W1D1 (Sunday):

• 0445 wakeup
  • read a few pages of The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
  • sat in quiet contemplation for 10 minutes, watching the morning mist dampen the grass
  • walked barefoot in the yard while taking the dogs out
  • mowed two lawns using my parents' mower, which is a self-propelled mower and therefore easier on my back
  • took a barefoot walk this evening after a thunderstorm and enjoyed the feeling of puddles on my bare feet
  • Breakfast: Naked juice pina colada smoothie, Nitro brew coffee; Lunch: Tortilla chips with homemade cheese dip (cheddar cheese, ground beef, pinto beans, peppers from my friend's garden, diced tomato, minced onion, garlic powder, cayenne pepper powder, and lots of Frank's Red Hot); Dinner: Moo Goo Gai Pan from a local Chinese restaurant; Evening treat: jasmine green tea with honey and ginger
  • drank coffee, water (although not enough), cranberry juice, and tea

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Obligatory musical connection:

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Just Thinking

by William Stafford

Got up on a cool morning. Leaned out a window.
No cloud, no wind. Air that flowers held
for awhile. Some dove somewhere.

Been on probation most of my life. And
the rest of my life been condemned. So these moments
count for a lot—peace, you know.

Let the bucket of memory down into the well,
bring it up. Cool, cool minutes. No one
stirring, no plans. Just being there.

This is what the whole thing is about.

be-positive-quote-of-the-day.gif

W1D2,3, & 4:

• slept in until 0515 all three days because I haven't been sleeping well
  • read scripture using the YouVersion app
  • sat in contemplative silence while breathing deeply for 5 minutes
  • took a cold shower
  • stood outside barefoot while taking the dogs out
  • walked 30 minutes all three days, did some light Yoga on day 2; my back is getting better but still not ready for intense exercise
  • other than a birthday cake, a slushy from Dairy Queen, and some Warheads cubes that my daughter gave me, all foods were "simple" foods.
  • still not drinking enough water, but no sodas and no energy drinks, just water, coffee, tea, and juice
  • Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

10 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I love how you spend some time outside barefoot nearly every day. I want to be more like you.

Thank you. Being barefoot is one "childhood habit" that I never want to outgrow.

Apologies (again) for the lack of updates. Life has been... unsettling. May share more when I feel I'm emotionally ready.

W1Ds5, 6, & 7:

• 0445 wakeup all three days
  • contemplative scripture reading and prayer using the Lectio365 app; also read a few pages of The Four Agreements
  • sat in contemplative silence while breathing deeply for 10 minutes all three days
  • took a cold shower all three days
  • stood outside barefoot while taking the dogs out all three days
  • Saturday I tried running again on trails with my buddy Rick. I felt good during the run but took it slow. Later, however, my hip started hurting and took two days to feel better. Too much too soon maybe?
  • foods were mostly simple with the exception of a few sweet treats and some snacks
  • water intake improving; no sodas but I did have a can of Zoa, which I guess is a "healthier" energy drink and lower in caffeine than most

I'll post an update for the past few days later and see if I have the emotional energy to share what's going on that has me so down.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hugs friend. Being down is hard. Sometimes it takes a while before someone's ready to share what happened. Take your time.

Thank you. It's a combination of impatiently recovering from my longest race ever, being sick, and some life changes (which are really what I'm not quite ready to talk about just yet).

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

7 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Thank you. It's a combination of impatiently recovering from my longest race ever, being sick, and some life changes (which are really what I'm not quite ready to talk about just yet).

Take your time. And you're certainly not obliged to share anything. Goodness knows I've talked about my mental health frequently in my thread without ever spelling out some of the things I don't want to share publicly. Be as vague as you need to be, and we'll still be here for you with hugs and a listening ear.

• Like 1