Starting Strength for runners?

Hi there!

I hope there's someone who can help as these topics don't seem to get much answers. 

After a long break I started running again at the end of May. I'm not at the point of a structured training 4 times a week. But I need some kind of strength training to prevent injuries and keep my back pain free. I just struggle with finding the right program. I had a look at every book I bougth in the last 10 years but nothing seems to work. 

I need something with few repetitions and heavier weights to do 1-2x a week.

My schedule looks something like this: 

Monday easy run

Wednesday inverval/sprint

Thursday short run

Saturday easy long run

I would love to go back to the gym - wasn't there for 2 years. Could Starting Strenght work if done 1-2 times a week? I know I won't make huge progress  but would it be harmful or risky in any way if done with way less progression than written down?

I'm hardly an expert on Starting Strength, but in the vein of something being better than nothing, doing Starting Strength once/week is better than not lifting. It seems to me that twice/week would be better as then you'd do each workout in the program once/week instead of every other week. 

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 9/20/2022 at 2:35 PM, stubborn_girl said:

Hi there!

I hope there's someone who can help as these topics don't seem to get much answers. 

After a long break I started running again at the end of May. I'm not at the point of a structured training 4 times a week. But I need some kind of strength training to prevent injuries and keep my back pain free. I just struggle with finding the right program. I had a look at every book I bougth in the last 10 years but nothing seems to work. 

I need something with few repetitions and heavier weights to do 1-2x a week.

You can write your own programme if you like. If you're interested in whole body strength, then ideally you'd do one vertical pull, one horizontal pull, one vertical push, one horizontal push, and a squat type movement and some variation of deadlift or something for the glutes/hips. If you want to go even more minimal, it's also okay to do one push, one pull, and one movement for legs. Working out twice a week instead of three times is fine. The worst thing that can happen is you won't make as much progress as you want. But you can offset lower frequency with more sets per visit, if you want. But save that for later because beginners can make a lot of progress with not much work. With two gym visits a week, it makes sense to put all three movements (push, pull, legs) into each workout if you can. As with starting strength and similar programmes, you can alternate two workouts with different variations on the push pull and legs.

You can always choose your own reps--just match lower reps with higher weight to ensure most of your sets are reasonably hard (e.g. if you're doing sets of 5, make it heavy enough that you could have done, say, 2 or 3 more reps, but not 10 more reps). It's a little trickier below 5 reps since the weights are heavier--doing super heavy singles or triples can be exhausting so it's not good to do all the time--but reps of five are fine.

The only danger I can foresee is that the combination of running and weights might be too much for your knees. If your knees hurt after you start a new programme, you might have to cut back on something, preferably the running.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru