Newbie here, need some advices!!!

I’m trying to lose weight and gain muscle.  I’ma female 5’6 weighting at 179 I’ve recently started going to the gym and lift weights and do some cardio my goal is to lose fat but have no idea how much protein or calories (or how to gain muscle). please help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Losing weight depends mostly on nutrition, being in a caloric deficit. Burning energy and getting more muscles (which burn more energy) helps. So basically any program that gets your heartrate up and you enjoy enough to stick to for a long time (multiple times a week) will do. And remember it takes time to see progress (you probably didn’t gain the weight in 6 weeks either ). If you really out of your energy quickly, you can use supplement that can help with this. i've used vital herbal horny goat weed for over 2 months, very pleased with it. something that actually works. u can try it.  

• Thanks 1
On 9/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, Jesse Stice said:

I’m trying to lose weight and gain muscle.  I’ma female 5’6 weighting at 179 I’ve recently started going to the gym and lift weights and do some cardio my goal is to lose fat but have no idea how much protein or calories (or how to gain muscle). please help, it would be greatly appreciated.

To lose fat, you need to create a caloric deficit, as Carson says. There are loads of ways to make that easier, but focusing on eating less processed foods and increasing protein, fibre, or both, is a good way to reduce hunger. There are other tools like time restricted eating and mindful eating that can also help reduce hunger and non-hunger-related eating. To get an idea of how many calories you might want to eat, look for a "TDEE calculator" and plug in your stats. Just keep in mind that people's needs can vary by a few hundred calories so you may need to adjust after a few weeks if your weight is moving too fast or slow. Some people who are very heavy might benefit from reducing carbs, but leaner and more active people are less likely to benefit and more likely to suffer from carb reduction. You can experiment with this if you want to, but you don't have to, especially if you feel fine on your current way of eating.

Building muscle is about training more than diet. You want to pick a few exercises that cover all the major muscle groups. If you choose free weights rather than machines, all you need is a pushing exercise, a pulling exercise, and some kind of squat, though you can do even better by getting a horizontal and a vertical pull (eg rowing and pull up), a horizontal and vertical push (e.g. bench press and overhead press), a squat movement, and deadlifts or something else for the hips. Then you need to do at least few hard sets of each, two or three times per week. A programme that a lot of people start with is stronglifts 5x5, which can be found online. It's simple but effective. If you do a different programme, just make sure you're lifting in the range of roughly 5-15 reps, and that the weights are heavy enough so that your sets are hard but not awful. More than 20 reps means the weights are too light. And don't train hard on consecutive days: lifting gives your body the instruction to grow, but rest is when it happens.

Protein is more important for managing hunger than building muscle, but it does provide a modest advantage in building muscle as well (training is more important!). Many people start with 1g per pound of ideal bodyweight, but more or less is fine, too. At 70kg/155lb, I eat about 90-130g per day. Less leaves me hungry, more is difficult to get down. Another way of looking at it is %. Maybe try to hit 20-25% of calories from protein (though anything from 15 to 35% is okay).

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru