KB Girl is an event planner

15 hours ago, Waanie said:

Yay! The weather has been so great for cycling these past few days :D.

Great for anything outdoors really :) did you get to enjoy it?

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

All three get used interchangeably, though biking can sometimes refer to motorcycles.

ok! I’ll keep that in mind, thanks. What would you usually say when you’ve been… riding a motorcycle?

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Tank is correct. Cycling would be my preference, but I would also say riding if the context made it clear that bikes, not horses, were involved.

And riding for horses, ok. I think I’ve got it 😄

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; 370/5000km & reading to my kids 32/365 days (updated feb-5)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Week 1, day 5

(writing headers like that makes me miss @raptron)

I last minute scrambled to get all the homeschool meet stuff together + food for the kids. This title is wishful thinking, I am obviously NOT an event planner but it would be very useful to learn some of those skills instantaneously riiiight now. It was a good meet tho. 

Then we went to buy a bike. Jaap had put the cargo bike upside down to do some maintenance work and then the box part of it, the part that holds the (precious) cargo, fell apart. Wood was rotted through. It was suddenly very easy to make a decision on which bike we wanted. So we went and got it. It’s a real beauty! If we’re not counting the house it is the most money I ever spent on something. Yes it was more expensive than my car. It’s really freakin’ great though!

Went to work feeling so tired I got kinda hot, you know? But woke up during classes so I did get training nr3 done. Had to adjust nr of sets on this one as I had overestimated myself a liiiiittle bit and was losing form. Did 8 sets of kb jerks instead of 10 and only 6 out of 10 barbell clean&jerk sets. 

Left the house at 9, got home at 9. I need some downtime pretty please. But I’ll settle for a good nights sleep! 

Spoiler

• Like 3

Week 1, day 6

Went to swimming classes and then drop off at grandma's by bike, it was awesome. 20 minutes instead of 35. I'm still working, which I like, I'm just going faster with the same amount of work. And I don't have to get off and walk on the steepest hill anymore x) 

After work I did training nr 4. The snatch part went well enough, about halfway through my technique clicked and it even started feeling easy. The single leg deadlifts and pull-ups went well, but when I got to the split squats I kinda died since my legs were so sore already and then I did my first set of dumbbell bench press and could barely even get the db's in position and then the press itself was a wobbly bit of misery.. so decided to call it quits. 

Picked kids up by bike. Was sooo tired.. we ordered sushi (first time ordering food since moving, not bad right) and then I fell asleep while putting the youngest to bed. 

Spoiler

Week 1, day 7

Work in the morning, was sad I didn't have the kids with me so I had to take my regular bike :P Then went for a bike ride with my oldest (her on her own bike), just a little trip around the neighbourhood.. and then took both kids to a friend of mine, who also has 2 kids this age, for coffee/tea. We had a good time, mostly because the kids had fun. Then we all went back to my place so I could make pancakes. My pancake making skills got a lot of compliments, yay. 

Now I have been sitting here not doing the enormous amount of paperwork I still have to do, including taxes that are due tomorrow. And I'm actively not even thinking about the three invoices I still have to make and send, because who wants to get paid anyway right? Just so y'all don't think I'm suddenly a functioning human being now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Now I have been sitting here not doing the enormous amount of paperwork I still have to do, including taxes that are due tomorrow. And I'm actively not even thinking about the three invoices I still have to make and send, because who wants to get paid anyway right? Just so y'all don't think I'm suddenly a functioning human being now. 

I think this reaction is a very normal reaction! Paperwork procrastination is a thing.

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 10/28/2022 at 11:30 PM, KB Girl said:

Great for anything outdoors really :) did you get to enjoy it?

Of course! We even had an outdoors concert with the orchestra yesterday :).

Ouch, I feel you on the legs. Before I had a car I did everything by bike, including going to climbing in the next town over. Physios couldn't really help me there either, the best they could come up with was 1) don't bike 100+km per week 2) massage/foam roll and stretch. It helped a little, but it's frustrating all around.

9 hours ago, KB Girl said:

then I did my first set of dumbbell bench press and could barely even get the db's in position and then the press itself was a wobbly bit of misery

This was one of the few exercises where you programmed more weight for yourself than what I'd do, which is one of the reasons why I thought that workout 4 would be intense. I'm glad that the SL deadlifts went well though, and I hope your hamstrings won't be too sore.

14 hours ago, deftona said:

I think this reaction is a very normal reaction! Paperwork procrastination is a thing.

Yes I suppose.. though, not making those invoices is really stupid. 

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

Of course! We even had an outdoors concert with the orchestra yesterday :).

Ouch, I feel you on the legs. Before I had a car I did everything by bike, including going to climbing in the next town over. Physios couldn't really help me there either, the best they could come up with was 1) don't bike 100+km per week 2) massage/foam roll and stretch. It helped a little, but it's frustrating all around.

This was one of the few exercises where you programmed more weight for yourself than what I'd do, which is one of the reasons why I thought that workout 4 would be intense. I'm glad that the SL deadlifts went well though, and I hope your hamstrings won't be too sore.

Ah yes.. I suppose rest days from cycling should also help x) 

and you were absolutely right, I put the presses at 15kg because I remember doing them at that weight before.. back when I was stronger 😛 

Week 1 recap

76A9A47E-4406-446F-A73B-717707CD011C.thumb.jpeg.911a8884894751ac594a2e297389ee36.jpeg

As you can tell by this photo my training was pretty heavy and quite a change from the weeks before, going from lightly orange to lots of red. And I knew that going in, but hey it was super motivating- worth it. I only missed 1 running session, would have rather not missed it but I'm not that upset. 

I've adjusted some weights and things for week 2 and also shuffled some stuff around because our national championship is on Sunday and I need some rest from the KB's before that and count my participation as a training day. Normally I would take a full rest week before competition, but I haven't properly trained for this one and won't put up a great result anyway so I'll just go in sore and see what happens. 

Spoiler

training 2.1 

A. front squats 4x5 with 42,5kg

B. KB jerks 2x16kg, 3:00 & 2:00 & 1:00 

C1. KB deadlifts 32kg 4x10

C2. ring rows 4x8

training 2.2

A. KB snatch 16kg 0:40 work, 0:20 rest x10

B1. pushups (7.2) 4x6

B2. cable rows (50kg) + reverse lunges (9kg) 4x5/5

C. back squats 3x3 with 52,5kg 

training 2.3

A1. pull-up negatives 3x2 & assisted pull-ups 2x5

A2. bulgarian split squats 4x8/8 with 2x6kg

B1. cable assisted single leg deadlifts 4x5/5 with 12kg

B2. dumbell floor press 4x8 with 2x10kg

C1. pallof press 3x8/8

C2. bird dogs 3x20

training 2.4 (Dutch Championship)

A. 10:00 jerks with 2x16kg

B. 10:00 snatch with 16kg 

running 2.1 

2:00 steady, 3:00 slow x4-5?

Event planning needs some attention.. Missed a couple things already and I really need to do some stuff for my daughter's birthday (like sending invites) and I need to figure out what I'll be surprising Jaap with on Wednesday. 

• Like 4

Ahhhh, the colour is for RPE!!! I never picked up on that. Anyway, glad you got a sweet new bike--the electric one, I presume. And I hope the paperwork fairies come for you soon because aint no one wanna do that themselves.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ah yes.. I suppose rest days from cycling should also help x) 

Yes, they should xD. Your cycling volume is not as high as I thought, but of course your bike is much heavier than mine :lol:. I think that this(1-1.5 hours per day) is a volume that you can get used to, although it might take a little time.

I'm glad that the first week was motivating and you got your workouts in! I don't want to be "that" person, but why don't you cut either the weight or the volume in half for bulgarian split squats? This is quite brutal! Anyway, your log is beautiful as always, and I love the colours :D.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:10 AM, KB Girl said:

Week 1 recap

76A9A47E-4406-446F-A73B-717707CD011C.thumb.jpeg.911a8884894751ac594a2e297389ee36.jpeg

As you can tell by this photo my training was pretty heavy and quite a change from the weeks before, going from lightly orange to lots of red. And I knew that going in, but hey it was super motivating- worth it. I only missed 1 running session, would have rather not missed it but I'm not that upset. 

I've adjusted some weights and things for week 2 and also shuffled some stuff around because our national championship is on Sunday and I need some rest from the KB's before that and count my participation as a training day. Normally I would take a full rest week before competition, but I haven't properly trained for this one and won't put up a great result anyway so I'll just go in sore and see what happens. 

Reveal hidden contents

training 2.1 

A. front squats 4x5 with 42,5kg

B. KB jerks 2x16kg, 3:00 & 2:00 & 1:00 

C1. KB deadlifts 32kg 4x10

C2. ring rows 4x8

training 2.2

A. KB snatch 16kg 0:40 work, 0:20 rest x10

B1. pushups (7.2) 4x6

B2. cable rows (50kg) + reverse lunges (9kg) 4x5/5

training 2.3

A1. pull-up negatives 3x2 & assisted pull-ups 2x5

A2. bulgarian split squats 4x8/8 with 2x6kg

B1. cable assisted single leg deadlifts 4x5/5 with 12kg

B2. dumbell floor press 4x8 with 2x10kg

C1. pallof press 3x8/8

C2. bird dogs 3x20

training 2.4 (Dutch Championship)

A. 10:00 jerks with 2x16kg

B. 10:00 snatch with 16kg 

running 2.1 

2:00 steady, 3:00 slow x4-5?

Event planning needs some attention.. Missed a couple things already and I really need to do some stuff for my daughter's birthday (like sending invites) and I need to figure out what I'll be surprising Jaap with on Wednesday. 

That layout is a really smart idea! Looks like you've also been absolutely killing it

Current Challenge: New Beginnings

On 10/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, Harriet said:

Ahhhh, the colour is for RPE!!! I never picked up on that. Anyway, glad you got a sweet new bike--the electric one, I presume. And I hope the paperwork fairies come for you soon because aint no one wanna do that themselves.

Yes! I made it colour coded so I could easily see what my volume has been like. I used to have to regulate volume back when I was training lots x) 

paperwork fairies would be bloody brilliant. 
And yes electric bike indeed! So insanely happy with it :) 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:39 PM, Elastigirl said:

That's a great idea to color code the RPE's.

thanks! It has the added benefit of being nice to look at :) which can be a factor in my using it or not.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:27 PM, Waanie said:

Yes, they should xD. Your cycling volume is not as high as I thought, but of course your bike is much heavier than mine :lol:. I think that this(1-1.5 hours per day) is a volume that you can get used to, although it might take a little time.

I'm glad that the first week was motivating and you got your workouts in! I don't want to be "that" person, but why don't you cut either the weight or the volume in half for bulgarian split squats? This is quite brutal! Anyway, your log is beautiful as always, and I love the colours :D.

I didn’t cycle that much before moving, maybe half an hour once or twice a week.. so this volume is still new for me and my legs just don’t have the endurance yet.. 

maybe you’re right about the split squats.. but I don’t know, it’s one of the few things I consistently kept doing so I want to be able to do this. I’ll give it one more shot before deciding x)

4 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

That layout is a really smart idea! Looks like you've also been absolutely killing it

Thanks! Training wise it has been going well :) and we’ll just pretend there are no other things that are going terribly to compensate.

• Like 3

Week 2, day 2 

Felt bad because I didn’t do my taxes on time and will get a fine and other things… had absolutely zero motivation to do my training after work, but a part of this challenge was to just do it, motivation or not. So I did it. Thanks challenge! Wasn’t so bad once I got over the hurdle of actually starting.

Spoiler

Filming a lot to form check myself so I’ll just keep sharing some of it 🤷‍♀️

Did some paperwork in the afternoon (not taxes tough, or those bloody invoices) and also worked through most of my backlog of messages/emails.

• Like 5

On 11/2/2022 at 5:16 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The first rep is always the hardest. 

I strongly agreed with this when I first read it but I had a competition yesterday and I gotta tell you the last reps were really much harder xD 

On 11/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Your commitment to training is super cool to see! Anything particular thing triggered this? 

Thanks! It has been a long time coming really, things just kept coming up (too rough nights, illness, holidays, too busy, moving house etc) and I knew I wasn't ready to commit to it and would fail if I tried.. now that we were done moving i thought I stood a chance of succeeding so it is now worth trying. 

On 11/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Shit happens, no point in beating yourself up about it. The deadline's passed anyway.🤷‍♀️ Fines suck though.

Meh I don't know, if the same shit keeps happening then what do you do? 

• Like 2

The rest of week 2; 

Day 3 was our 13 year anniversary, I cancelled Jaap's appointments and surprised him with a lunch date and a book he had been eyeing. It was 30 minutes by bike both ways, which was also nice to do together. I did most of my training but had to skip the last part due to time management issues x)

Day 4 we went to a museum that had a lot of kid activities, it was nice but too long in the car which was not so nice. 

Day 5 I skipped my training in the morning because I woke up with a sore throat (negative self test) but I felt better in the afternoon so I did it after my evening shift. 

Day 6 I took the kids to swimming classes by bike and on the way back, at the bottom of a huge hill, the battery was empty.... it was a 45 minute intense workout x) and my butt still hurts. 

Day 7 was the kettlebell sport dutch national championship. The organisation went well, just a couple hiccups. My team did well, we won all the ladies gold medals available. My own sets were the worst I have ever done x) The lack of preparation didn't help, but I hadn't eaten well and shark were about to attack and my legs were so sore from that epic unplanned bike ride the day before x) it's alright. 

Week 3, day 1; 

Sharks attacked! I did pretty much nothing all day. Ok, I did go to the garden by bike but I put it on its highest setting and I don't think my heart rate even left zone 1. I've also noticed a pattern of spending less time with NF pre-shark attack week, but it could be coincidence. 

• Like 3

Training plan for this week; 

Spoiler

training 3.1 

A. front squats 4x5 with 45kg

B1. KB deadlifts 32kg 4x10

B2. ring rows 4x8

training 3.2

A. KB snatch 12kg 1:30 work, 0:30 rest x15 

B1. pushups (7.3) 4x5

B2. cable rows (45kg) + reverse lunges (9kg) 4x5/5 

training 3.3

A. KB jerks 2x14kg 1:20 work, 0:40 rest x6

B. barbell clean&jerk 8x2 with 35kg

C1. pull-up negatives 5x2

C2. walking lunges 4x10 steps with 12kg KB off centre

training 3.4

A. KB snatch 16kg 0:30 work, 0:30 rest x14 

B1. cable assisted single leg deadlifts 4x6/6 with 12kg

B2. assisted pull-ups 4x5

C1. bulgarian split squats 4x5/5 with 2x7kg 

C2. landmine press 4x8/8 with 20kg 

running 3.1

1:00 steady, 1:30 slow x8

Taking out jerks from the first training to allow for a bit more recovery there. And a lighter snatch session the following training for the same reason. Chose an easier running training to help with the dontwannas there, and also since it's shark week. Decided to ditch bench/floor press altogether because it is super uninspiring to me atm, chose landmine presses instead. Decided to be sensible and lower my Bulgarian split squat reps but upped the weight a little. 

• Like 4

On 11/7/2022 at 8:19 PM, KB Girl said:

Day 7 was the kettlebell sport dutch national championship. The organisation went well, just a couple hiccups. My team did well, we won all the ladies gold medals available.

Oh my, that is beyond excellent! Now, the only sensible thing to do is to disperse your excellent kettlebellers among the general population so there can be a harder competition next time. You don't want to just keep winning everything, now, do you?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru