Waanie logs her food

Waanie

Soo... last challenge was focused around powerlifting, and since then I've also travelled with the wind orchestra I'm playing in recreationally and I just got my covid booster yesterday. I don't really have any new exercise goals yet, except for having fun of course ;). For now, I'm fine with half-assing my exercise by doing group lessons in strength training, kettle bell sport and body control (also known as "cool tricks") whenever they fit, and being generally active by bike-commuting and walking/hiking regularly. My mental health is more or less stable at the moment as well, so I think I can finally start focussing on weight loss.

All in all, I'm not really that much overweight, but my weight has been slowly creeping up for some time now, which is no bueno. This challenge I want to see if the minimum amount of effort is already enough for me to lose.

Main goal: write down all the food I eat on a day, either digitally in an app or on paper.

That's it. In the past I noticed that I already eat snack much healthier if I have to write down everything, so let's try doing that for the next 5 weeks :).

• Like 5
8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Following! 

A great idea really, I'm curious to hear about the results :)

Thanks, that means a lot to me!

Yesterday was still a day of post-covid-shot-blugh. I did write down my food as a test-run, and it worked fairly well. I've decided to not log meals into detail, so e.g. dinner is "oven-roasted potatoes with mushrooms and chickpeas in cream-sauce" instead of writing out all the ingredients. I'm curious how this all will turn out!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

This is such a good exercise goal tho!

It really is! I find the gym very welcoming :). I'm also silently achieving exercise goals like only getting handed heavy things when we need to build up stuff with orchestra B).

My food log is not very forgiving, and when I look at it I totally understand why I'm slowly gaining weight 😅. So much sugary snacks, especially when I'm tired and need something to distract myself from work... It's good to know this at least, and I think I really need to get some more filling snacks again. Fruit and vegetables are seemingly satisfying for a too short time-frame.

• Like 2

Why oh why can't I do a body-control class without ending up crying? I like the idea of body control, I also like the start of the lesson. Then I get dizzy when hanging, and keep sinking through my arms when doing stuff on parallettes. Next time I'm going to try getting an RPE with each exercise, and scale it back until I can do it at that RPE. I hope that works, otherwise that will be the last body control lesson. Mr. W. already wants me to stop body control right now, but he's okay with me trying one last time if there's a plan to do it different. Blugh. Also, I can't do an elbow lever anymore, but that might be because I already did 10 too heavy sets of parallettes before that.

• Sad 2
27 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh no, that's awful! :( It really does sound like a cool class, so hopefully you'll find a solution. Scaling everything back is a good call!

Thanks, we'll see tomorrow what will happen!

Today was not too bad, considering my mental state yesterday evening. I played a lot of slay the spire, got my groceries and went to clarinet lesson. My lesson went quite well :). We'll start rehearsing new pieces with the orchestra starting Monday, so I brought a challenging-but-doable-if-I-practice piece to my lesson and got tips on how to practice it. The jazz-duet I studied also went well, so that was really cool all in all. Now to keep it up and keep practising enough ;).

My food was quite good today, although my dinner was not filling enough, so I might up snacking a bit tonight. I also went to IKEA to get the vegetarian meatballs for my lunch at workdays. I hope those will be enough to keep the hunger at bay! Dinner was very tasty by the way, it was quinoa with bell pepper, tomatoes, chickpeas and olives, with a very garlicky dressing.

• Like 2

Love this challenge. Following! :) 

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

Dinner was very tasty by the way, it was quinoa with bell pepper, tomatoes, chickpeas and olives, with a very garlicky dressing.

Dinner sounds yummy. :) 

Yesterday's body control class was fun :). Went for a RPE 5-6 for the entire workout, and apparently that's correct at the moment to feel tired but not exhausted at the end. I have to swallow my ego quite a bit during training, since stopping a set when you can do 4-5 more reps feels wrong, but I'll learn. Basically, when I start feeling an exercise in my muscles I have to stop ;). I'm still sore the day after, but not as badly as I was after Tuesday. On the positive side, my tuck shoulder stance in parallettes is super stable now, and I'm starting to work on opening it up :D.

• Like 3
On 10/28/2022 at 11:49 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Wow impressive! Glad you found a way to scale it. And well done for beating the ego, that’s helluva boss fight. 😄

Thanks! It's really a change in mindset, going from all out to barely feeling an exercise at that time.

On 10/29/2022 at 12:07 AM, KB Girl said:

Very glad to hear you had a good class :) fingers crossed you can repeat that for the next one! Really sounds like you’re on the right track!

Thanks, I really appreciate it that such adaptations are possible at the gym, and that Jaap has thought about it and come up with a good solution :).

Yesterday's body control class was a good one again :D. I did a few inverted hangs without getting dizzy, which has not happened for a long time now. After 2 sets I asked for a regression though, since coming back slowly with straight arms is not doable at RPE 6 for me ;). We ended the hanging with a fun game where one person pointed a stick, and the other, hanging, person had to touch the stick with their foot. It reminded me of climbing drills where you need to be precise with your footwork. I decided to hang the rings low enough to keep one foot on the ground to make it easier, which made it more fun for me as well :). On the parallettes I decided to place a mat behind them and try opening up my shoulderstance. I was not afraid of falling, so I could really experiment with it. My shoulder stance is not stable yet after the first training, but I'm starting to get a feel for it :D.

My food has been generally okay, although I would like to snack less. My first step will be to cut out hot chocolate at work. I'm considering if I should make my meals bigger to prevent snacking, since I'm actually hungry at the end of the afternoon. My starting weight this week was 66.5kg by the way, which is significantly higher than where I'd like to be (around 62kg).

• Like 2
9 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Light weight x) 

It just depends on your perspective, I guess :lol:. It's funny to see that on the whole, the body control women are significantly thinner than the KB women -_-. My main motivation is my clothes fitting worse though, I hate shopping.

9 hours ago, KB Girl said:

An intentional snack at the end of the afternoon could also be an option? 

I now do a 3pm snack, but that's apparently not filling enough, since I need to eat again at 5:30 to even contemplate cooking dinner.

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

It just depends on your perspective, I guess :lol:. It's funny to see that on the whole, the body control women are significantly thinner than the KB women -_-. My main motivation is my clothes fitting worse though, I hate shopping.

As you know I fully understand this motivation. 

My theory is that if you're heavier then body control is no fun at all so you find other things to do like lift external weights :P If you're 100+kg then the chance of ever progressing beyond assisted pull-ups is just very very very small. In KB sport however, you can level up all the time x) 

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; 370/5000km & reading to my kids 32/365 days (updated feb-5)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 10/31/2022 at 2:24 AM, Waanie said:

I now do a 3pm snack, but that's apparently not filling enough, since I need to eat again at 5:30 to even contemplate cooking dinner.

out of curiosity, what have you been using? I know for me, something with a higher protein/fat percentage will stick to me longer than something higher in carbs - peanut butter banana seems to do pretty ok, but nuts or a tuna salad snack (maybe chickpea salad instead if you're vegetarian) seem to hold me over better so I don't get eyes bigger than my stomach by dinner time.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: New Beginnings

On 10/31/2022 at 1:49 PM, KB Girl said:

As you know I fully understand this motivation. 

My theory is that if you're heavier then body control is no fun at all so you find other things to do like lift external weights :P If you're 100+kg then the chance of ever progressing beyond assisted pull-ups is just very very very small. In KB sport however, you can level up all the time x) 

Yup, I agree with this assessment (although I'd guess one of the guys would be more than 100kg and can do several pull-ups). Body control is also more fun if you have good movement patterns, so if you exercised a lot as a kid. I'm a bit like you in the sense that you can't really see in my movement how heavy something is for me, especially in body control-type movements.

2 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

out of curiosity, what have you been using? I know for me, something with a higher protein/fat percentage will stick to me longer than something higher in carbs - peanut butter banana seems to do pretty ok, but nuts or a tuna salad snack (maybe chickpea salad instead if you're vegetarian) seem to hold me over better so I don't get eyes bigger than my stomach by dinner time.

Usually some nuts and fruit (apple or defrosted smoothie-mix fruit). I'm experimenting a little with keeping one of my sandwiches for the afternoon snack instead of lunch, and n=1 [day] says that it works better than just a light afternoon snack. Basically my ideal day currently looks like this:

• breakfast: overnight oats with protein powder and chia seed
  • 10am: banana, possibly extra snack if there's something special at work
  • 12am lunch: 3 slices of bread with hummus or cheese, 4 IKEA vegan meatballs, some snack-vegetable (radish, tomato, cucumber)
  • 3pm: 1 slice of bread with topping, handful of almonds, apple or defrosted frozen fruit
  • 6pm dinner (e.g. almost anything from pick up limes)

Today I added a little coleslaw to lunch since that was left over from yesterday instead of the snack-vegetable, and also two stroopwafels just before cooking because I felt like it. I probably should count calories a few days to see if this is actually enough energy (around 2000kcal), but that is too much effort at the moment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Waanie said:
  • breakfast: overnight oats with protein powder and chia seed 250-350 
  • 10am: banana 100, possibly extra snack if there's something special at work
  • 12am lunch: 3 slices of bread 225 with hummus or cheese 200-275, 4 IKEA vegan meatballs 150, some snack-vegetable (radish, tomato, cucumber)
  • 3pm: 1 slice of bread with topping 200, handful of almonds 100, apple or defrosted frozen fruit 50
  • 6pm dinner (e.g. almost anything from pick up limes) 600-900

Guesstimating, since I don’t have weights etc, but seems like it could be around 2000. 

• Thanks 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; 370/5000km & reading to my kids 32/365 days (updated feb-5)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 11/2/2022 at 12:06 AM, KB Girl said:

Guesstimating, since I don’t have weights etc, but seems like it could be around 2000. 

Thanks! I appreciate it  lot :). I actually put in today's food in Eetmeter (eyeballed the amounts), and resulted in almost exactly 2000kcal (with 109g protein, yay!). According to "voedingscentrum" I'm mostly low in several B-vitamins, but that is no surprise and why I take supplements. To be fair, today I ate exceptionally well without any extra snacks, so it's not too surprising that I'm overall slowly gaining weight.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I very much understand the desire to avoid clothes shopping, but this is kinda sad.

Well, it's just machine-hot-chocolate and not even that tasty. I mean, it's not bad, but also not amazing. It's more of a "I want to drink something sweet" kind of drink.

• Like 3
On 11/7/2022 at 11:20 PM, KB Girl said:

Eetmeter is really not a bad calculator at all. Taking B supplements is wise indeed! 

Thanks! I like it more than the other options I have tried, and overall it is not in your face and such. I really like that it is non-commercial as well, and not working with a "budget" like e.g. MFP does. I want to just track, not budget, if that makes sense. I feel that could easily lead to more stress or even disordered though patterns.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:20 PM, KB Girl said:

How goes?

Meh. I'm tracking about 60%-70% of the time, which is fine by me, and my diet is decent overall. However, I'm tired all the time and I don't know if that's because my period is due, because I'm eating slightly less or because of work stress/lack of recovery from orchestra travel. I'm starting to fall into the negativity again as well, which is no bueno. I'm not keeping up with chores either, so I'm starting to see a spiral here. I'm considering to start eating more again, but I kinda also want to lose a little weight and I seem to be always down mentally.

• Like 2