Elastigirl vs The Zombie Carrots

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

We're all trying to cut down here in Germany because our gas supply is uncertain and no one wants Putin to have gas money. I bought extra fluffy shoes and warm clothes. To spare heating and win the war.

Wow. The things we get used to and never know are abnormal because we don't compare, eh? And it's amazing diet changes can help so much but doctors rarely suggest them. I assume paleo means cutting dairy but I don't think I could do that. Do you have to eat meat very frequently? I like to have some but I get really sick of it if I have to have a lot.

Good idea to buy warm clothers

I had to cut dairy a while ago, even before Paleo. I am lactose intolerant. My stomach hates dairy. I  think if it doesn't bother you , dairy is a good choice, and it's delicious.  I was a sick kid, always getting all winter long colds, and having stomach issues. But, in my day, doctors never even considered food allergies.  I'm not strict Paleo now. I took what worked for me of the Paleo diet, and stuck with that.  Yes, I eat meat a lot. I love meat though. Some people who do Paleo, stick to more fats and less protein.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

12 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Persimmon crumble sounds delicious. I have never really cooked with them before but they have always intrigued me. 

I am allergic to celery. I didn't realize it was an allergy until I was 24. I thought everyone's tongue got puffy when they ate it. 🤷‍♂️

Glad you are warmer now, EG. That is serious business. 

It was good. It's interesting how we just  adapt and think everyone has that issue.. When my sister was a kid, she got glasses for the first time.  On the way home she said to my mom, " Look you can see that tree has leaves" Apparently, she just thought trees were a blurry mass of color.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh this is interesting. Have you tried it yet? The variety sold here is super sweet, I wonder if you'd need something to cut the sweetness...

Yes, there were good. I figured they would be good to bake with because of that. I just cut the amount of sugar by about 1/3. 

• Like 3

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Did the high intensity row today. 2 minutes x 12 with rest breaks.  The idea being that you are supposed to get to 5,000 meters in that time. I get to about 3,500 meters, and that's my going pretty hard. So, yeah, I'm slow. But that's ok. I'm just trying to improve my time, not competing against anyone.

Went for a 15 minute walk.Then did GMB Literal Immortality after dinner. This was the first time this week I did it. It's been sunny, so I've opted for longer walks. Part of the reason I bought the program was to give me a fun way to get some movement in when the weather is blah. So, I have no goals for x times a week. Saying this to remind myself as much as anything. I like to have lots of choices for movement. Which is great, as long as  I don't start having guilt for not doing them all.

Had both my lunch and snacks without watching a screen.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Did the high intensity row today. 2 minutes x 12 with rest breaks.  The idea being that you are supposed to get to 5,000 meters in that time. I get to about 3,500 meters, and that's my going pretty hard. So, yeah, I'm slow. But that's ok. I'm just trying to improve my time, not competing against anyone.

You can always blame this on your height. 😉

I've got all sorts of thoughts rambling around in my head after I finished my workout today. I thought if I wrote them out it would help me process and make decisions.

Workout:

My workout usually has me doing  3 or 4 sets of chin ups and then 3 sets of assisted pull ups or chin ups.  It also does elevated pushups.   The boss challenge is dips. Dips are only scheduled to be worked on once or maybe twice a week. I find that kind of frustrating. The push ups helps with that. But dips are a pretty specific exercise. I think in order to get better at them , I need to do them more.  I'm happy with just maintaining my chin ups now. I think I can swap out the extra set of assisted chin ups and do dips. That's what I am doing today.  I think I will try that for a few weeks and see how that goes.

My pike push ups were really improved today. I've been super frustrated with them. Wondering if it is because I did my rowing after the workout (per KBGirl's suggestion)

Rowing:

I  chose a training plan on my rowing videos. I'm not really sure it's going to work to do that along with my workouts. Today I did it after my workout.  2 x 20 minutes, slow , easy row. I didn't get all the way through the second row. Even taking it easy, my arms were tired. The rows are longer than I was doing, and hard to fit in. I chose the training plan because I thought that would be good motivation for me. And having a goal helps. But then I have a goal for strength, and it's hard to do both. Ranger all the things works in my head, but in real life, it's a bit trickier.😉 Of course, my brain is telling me to feel guilty if I stop the program. But, the only way I could see if it worked was trying it. Maybe one time I will have a goal where I only focus on my rowing.  Part of my concern is that I will just go into slug mode, now that the dark season is here. But, I have the Literal Immortality program, and maybe make a goal of doing the row 3 times a week?  Or just say some sort of extra movement 3 times a week?

• Like 5

I had to shift up my weight routine last challenge because it wasn't working in my post-pandemic life so well (not at home so much) and it became more of a stress/anxiety thing than actually being helpful. I stripped it back to something manageable and it's much easier now. Any way you can cut back the rowing so it's more backseat (pun not intended but enjoyed) on this challenge, rather than dropping the program?

• Like 1

Level 26 Rogue Ranger

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

13 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I had to shift up my weight routine last challenge because it wasn't working in my post-pandemic life so well (not at home so much) and it became more of a stress/anxiety thing than actually being helpful. I stripped it back to something manageable and it's much easier now. Any way you can cut back the rowing so it's more backseat (pun not intended but enjoyed) on this challenge, rather than dropping the program?

Yes, I looked at another program, by the same guy,  that's a 2k. It's shorter and not as intense.

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Will doing the rowing programme make you more or less likely to skip the literal immortality?

You make it sound like I can't just  Do All The Things! 😀 So, my strength workout is my number #1 priority. I also would like to get some cardio in. I added in Literal Immortality to do on occasion. I think if I did  Literal Immortality about twice a week that would be good. And then  rowing about 3 times a week. Not sure if that works or not. I guess  I will see.

• Like 2

Wins for the week:

Finished my  Yellowstone Scrapbook

I put my chocolate chips in portion sizes. That worked really well.  For some reason, when I have containers, that signals to my brain, when I am done.

I had some lunches without screens. I didn't do every lunch. Right now, I'm fine with the laid back approach of sometimes doing that and other times not. At one point, I may make a goal for doing it x amount of days during the week. But, right now, I just didn't have the mental bandwidth for that, and so I can do it this way.

• Like 5

Today.

Did a 15 minute rowing session. Then did my morning routine. Then went to my friend's house for a luncheon. Very good time visiting with friends. It's another gorgeous sunny day. Cold, but sunny. Went on about a 15 minute walk, and then came home and did my workout. 

4 sets of jump squats, 4 sets of negative dips, 4 sets of assisted pull ups, and 2 sets of wall slides. I think soon I will do a 15 minute walking video.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I put my chocolate chips in portion sizes. That worked really well.  For some reason, when I have containers, that signals to my brain, when I am done.

I swear, pre-portioning snacks and tasks is a life hack I wish I'd recognized earlier in life, it makes it much easier for brain to see "ok, we're done now" or "ok, task not so big so I can start it now". 

• Like 5

Current Challenge: New Beginnings

8 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

I swear, pre-portioning snacks and tasks is a life hack I wish I'd recognized earlier in life, it makes it much easier for brain to see "ok, we're done now" or "ok, task not so big so I can start it now". 

I was surprised at how well it worked. I don't think of tasks as being preportioned, but that's what I did with scrapbooking and I finished the book.  Instead of looking at a whole big project, I just decided to do 1 page, or 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Today I did a 500 meter rate assesment for rowing. My plan is to follow the 2 k program, at 3 days a week. It's set up for a day of low intensity, a day of medium intensity, and a day of high intensity.  Doing 2k instead of 5k should not be as taxing. Also did Literal Immortality.  Did toe lunges, which is weird and hard, but probably good for balance. And a drill where you place an object on the ground away from you, stand up, then go down in different positions to grab it. I also went for a walk today. Another super sunny day. so I am happy.

Also packaged containers of chocolate chips for the week. Ate lunch while listening to a podcast, so no screens.

• Like 3

Changing the rowing program seems like a good idea :) I'm curious to see what you'll be doing- I was a bit intimidated by the sheer volume from the 5k program, maybe this one will be more inspiring to try a rowing program for myself one day x)

Toe lunges, as in lunges on your toes? 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Changing the rowing program seems like a good idea :) I'm curious to see what you'll be doing- I was a bit intimidated by the sheer volume from the 5k program, maybe this one will be more inspiring to try a rowing program for myself one day x)

Toe lunges, as in lunges on your toes? 

Yeah. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said I'd do a 5k.😀

Yes, it's more like a split lunge, but it's on your toes. 

10 hours ago, Sovalis said:

What podcast are you listening to while you have lunch? 

Mindpump; Its a fitness podcast is what I've been listening to this week. I also like Christian podcasts, and political podcasts.

• Like 1

Did day 1 of my 2k today. A 30 minute slow one. Yesterday, I did a base test for it, to determine my rate.  I  watched the video explaining it ( I thought) and it said do 500 meters, add 10sec and multiply by 4 to get your time for a 2k.  Today's row was the 500 meter rate plus 18 seconds. Which sounds doable. But it was way hard ( have I mentioned I'm slow🤨) I ended up adding more like 30 seconds.  Because I was supposed to be at a 5 or 6 effort level.

Edit: No ,I was closer on time than that. Between 20 seconds and 25 seconds. I just need to work on my math skills.🙂

Did my workout. Swapped out Chin up negative for half dips, to give me more dip practice. Did pistol squat negatives, held it at the bottom.

Also mopped my bedroom. It's been way too long since I did that. It  looks much nicer now. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I just need to work on my math skills

Glad it's not just me that does this :D

Also it's so standard in the UK to have carpet in bedrooms, I was very confused as to why you were mopping it...

Level 26 Rogue Ranger

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

1 hour ago, Silmarilliane said:

Glad it's not just me that does this :D

Also it's so standard in the UK to have carpet in bedrooms, I was very confused as to why you were mopping it...

😉Most  bedrooms in the US have carpet too. We have fake wood (laminate) It really helped my allergies. But I have to mop, instead of vacuum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

😉Most  bedrooms in the US have carpet too. We have fake wood (laminate) It really helped my allergies. But I have to mop, instead of vacuum.

Instead of? or in addition to? :P

We have laminate too, I don't even want to imagine how bad carpet would be for the allergies. 

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Instead of? or in addition to? :P

We have laminate too, I don't even want to imagine how bad carpet would be for the allergies. 

Instead of🙂 I love it.

• Like 1

Did the second session in my rowing today. It was a mid level. 6 minutes at 2k + 5 seconds, then 5 minutes rest , for 5 intervals. The intervals were kind of tough, but doable with the long rests. Since it was such a long rest, I walked during some of the rest breaks. Part of the reason I decided to do a program was to see what effect on my speed/endurance it would have if I followed a program vs just random workouts.

Did a 10 minute Pilate ab workout. I'm getting a  lot out of the a b workouts.  They are helping me focus on my abs. Then, when I do my NF workouts, I am better at focusing on engaging my core.

Another sunny gorgeous, cold day. Went on a 15 minute walk. I actually already had a lot of steps, I guess from the walking I did during my rest breaks. After I finish here I'm going to do my Literal Immortality workout. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Did a 10 minute Pilate ab workout. I'm getting a  lot out of the a b workouts.  They are helping me focus on my abs. Then, when I do my NF workouts, I am better at focusing on engaging my core.

Glad to hear that :) you do the pilates as a sort of warm up? or does it even help when you do the NF workouts much later?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Glad to hear that :) you do the pilates as a sort of warm up? or does it even help when you do the NF workouts much later?

I usually do it on off days,and it still helps. As long as I remember to engage the core.😀 Which isn't always, but more than I used to.

• Like 2