Gemma wanders and wonders and writes

Gemma

I did not intend to challenge this round, because Brain™ has been locked into super-scattered-fugue mode for a few months now and I'm having trouble committing to anything further in the future than lunchtime. 

But it's NaNovember, and that always does a few things for me.

1. Most important, it gives me a ready-built excuse for mental drift (sorry, what did I miss? I was trying to figure out how Hazel dies ...) 
  2. It reminds me that all writers pretty much struggle with the same things I struggle with; fair defense against the What Is Wrong With Me demon.
  3. It puts me back in the headspace of "heck with it, it's story!" and lets me beg off the pressure to try and write something that other people will like. 

Also, 

giphy.gif 

I've done NaNoWriMo every year for the past 12 years, it would feel weird to not do it now. I don't always 'win' (currently batting about .500) but I always do it. And I very, very often say that I'm not going to do it 'this year' and then cave and create a new project sometime after Oct. 27. This is one of those years. 

Fitness-wise speaking, walking is what I have the bandwidth for, so walking is what I shall do. My Apple Watch says that I am currently averaging <4,000 steps per day, so I plan to increase that by 1k/ week until the end of this challenge. 8,000 per day seems like a fundamentally doable goal, considering that I am lucky enough to work on a highly walkable campus and live in a fairly walkable neighborhood (with an exuberantly walkable dog!)

That's it. Write and walk. If I do any GMB workouts, then that's bonus points, but it's November so best if I don't get too attached to other outcomes. (Good advice for all the year, but somehow easier to take during NaNoWriMo)  

I'm still timeboxing and it is working pretty well, so there's that. I have very specific things to do with my Creativity blocks for this month. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Here to cheer you on! :D

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello, fellow writers, walkers, and nerdfriends! 

Yesterday was a good day. :D

🚶‍♀️ 4,499 steps

✍️ 2,179 words 

Today I am teleworking, as the internet is down on campus. That puts me in danger of lower step count since I won't be walking around to various classes. I'll have to do an extra-long parter walk this afternoon. Cassie the walking partner will be thrilled!

Cassie2.jpg.1d1105d72199f7a1f378ce6e36012276.jpg

• Like 5

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

17 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

OMG OMG OMG this dog!!!!!!! so cute!!!! :) 

Shh, don't tell Cassiopeia she's cute, she's already gone off the diva princess deep end! And she was named for a Greek mythology character whose besetting sin was extreme vanity, so this can't be good for her. I call her "mange butt" to try and keep her grounded (doesn't work!) 😆

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Doggo! 😍 So many people do nano and it makes me want to jump on the bandwagon every year. Not that I've written anything since elementary school. 😄

LOL, it's a heck of a fun bandwagon, though! 

Yesterday was a good day. Little Miss and I had a nice long walk, I ended up way over step count for the day. 

🚶‍♀️ 6,131 steps

✍️ 2,395 words 

I forgot to mention yesterday that I jumped back onto the Elements bandwagon, but that is now happening again. Just 15 minutes for now, maybe I'll bump it up to 30 when I take my annual November staycation from Veterans Day to Thanksgiving (November 11 to 24). 

I just finished a session of Literal Immortality, hoping my wrists aren't too sore from the Low Forward Break Falls later on. That would suck for writing 😮 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

-J. R. R. Tolkien

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

I just finished a session of Literal Immortality, hoping my wrists aren't too sore from the Low Forward Break Falls later on. That would suck for writing 😮

Oh, break falls make me so nervous for my wrists, but I force myself to do them ever since my mother broke BOTH of hers in what should have been a minor fall.  Fall-proof wrists are definitely part of my immortality vision.  How are you liking the program?  GMB generally puts out good stuff.

• Wow 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Glad to have you on team NF NaNo! I didn't expect to have so many cohorts. It's keeping me super motivated, and I hope we can help each other through the tougher parts. :)

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

On 11/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, Gemma said:

I've done NaNoWriMo every year for the past 12 years, it would feel weird to not do it now.

Amazing! Though the four day novel writing must be a bit rushed.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, Gemma said:

That's it. Write and walk.

Looking good. Walking is apparently good for untangling writing ideas, too.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 11/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, Everstorm said:

Oh, break falls make me so nervous for my wrists, but I force myself to do them ever since my mother broke BOTH of hers in what should have been a minor fall.  Fall-proof wrists are definitely part of my immortality vision.  How are you liking the program?  GMB generally puts out good stuff.

I really like it, but I've been a slacker. I bought it weeks ago and yesterday I did session 2. Still, though, I like the general concept of improving proprioception, joint resiliance, and balance. 

I'm sorry that happened to your mother! 😢

On 11/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Wow that sucks! Fall training really is a useful skill.

I took a really bad fall a few years ago and have a super prominent scar on my lip to show for it, if I can not repeat that experience it would be a good thing. So far it's been from VERY low, yesterday's falls were from kneeling and ATG squat. 

23 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Glad to have you on team NF NaNo! I didn't expect to have so many cohorts. It's keeping me super motivated, and I hope we can help each other through the tougher parts. :)

You've assembled a great team! This is fun, I usually do very solitary NaNos and having a tribe is a super nice change. 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Amazing! Though the four day novel writing must be a bit rushed.

LOL, I may have conveyed a very wrong impression - I've been known to throw together a rough draft of a half-decent short story in 4 days, but never a novel. (There are folks in NaNoLand who do that, or even one day, but they are not regular plain mortal persons such as myself.)  I take the full 30 days, and if I want anything good to come of it I need to take the whole 11 months afterwards for revisions and edits and beta readers and revisions and edits and ... y'know, the stuff that has to happen to take the roughest of drafts to readability. 

My attention span is not really up for that, which is the main reason I'm just doing short stories this year! That way I have a chance of getting through all those edits and betas and so on with at least one or two of them before Brain™ hares off after a new shiny idea! 

Yesterday was pretty good until mid-afternoon. I did the telework thing again, which is not my favorite except for getting to spend the whole day with my doggies. Hubs came home stressed, though - he had a high-drama experience at work and had to spend most of his pre-dinner time drafting his written statement about it and trying to calm himself. 

Spoiler

He loves his job and likes most of his co-workers, but his boss is ... a nice man, but a terrible boss, I guess? Constantly messing up the schedules, forgetting to order supplies, refuses to hold lazy employees accountable, completely unwilling to listen to anyone's ideas except his own, stuff like that.  It's a retail job, so the manager is basically the final word and if the manager is ineffective the whole environment is kinda toxic. 

As I said, Hubs likes most of his co-workers, but they are all increasingly disgruntled and cranky. One of the ones he doesn't get on with is a massive drama addict and seemingly cannot speak without complaining. Yesterday Bossman wasn't there, but DramaLlama was so angry about a list of directions that Bossman left to be accomplished that she came and asked - with a straight face - if Hubs would let her borrow a gun. He refused, of course, and DL repeated the request two more times (e.g. "c'mon, man, I only need it for a few minutes.")

No one else heard the conversation. The assistant manager didn't want to take it seriously, preferred to believe that DL was "just blowing off steam" and wasn't serious, but Hubs has pretty well developed threat instincts and felt that this was a 'do not ignore' sign of potential violence, so he called the District Manager. Hence, written statement. 

Somewhat relevant fact: Hubs is an Iraq veteran retired Marine with diagnosed PTSD, so the last thing he needs in his life is the possibility of workplace violence. He's been looking for another job, so we are hopeful that effort bears some fruit soon. 

So Cassie and I had to walk by ourselves; Hubs and Apollo stayed home while he wrote his statement and tried to chill. It was a nice walk; my girl is getting much better on leash.

🚶‍♀️ 4,268 steps

✍️ 1,774 words 

• Like 3

-J. R. R. Tolkien

I am so sorry your Husband is needing to deal with that. Not cool. Not cool at all. I hope it all goes the way it needs to to be resolved, including new job mojo if that is what he wants!

Glad to have you in the NaNo tribe! This is my first year with people, too, and I am enjoying it so much. Seeing everyone’s progress is hugely inspiring. 

• Like 2

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

All has calmed down in GemmaLand. Hubs has entered "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's out of my hands now, the district manager can handle it" territory, while continuing to browse Indeed for other job listings that he thinks might fit his skills. We did a TON of very heavy work up at the church this morning - I used to complain about 12' lengths of pressure-treated lumber being heavy, well, it is nothing compared to fiber-cement siding. We (work crew of three) got three sections of siding done as high as we could reach, and now we wait for scaffolding. We had to stop frequently to tear out boards that were rotted and replace them with heavy-duty plywood, so a lot of the hardest part of the work doesn't show, but here is some of what does. 

Siding.jpg.bf7d36fcdd7c1c11ad8e6c81ecd12442.jpg

I'm wiped out, but I have about an hour and a half to write before I need to get ready to go out for dinner with friends, so I guess I need to stop procrastinating here and get over to 4theWords. 

Yesterday's final score: 

🚶‍♀️ 5,353, and I bumped my daily goal up to 5,000 as of today

✍️ 2,009 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Yesterday was an extra-good day, and today I have the DOMS to show for it 😜.  I got a lot more writing done than what I thought I was up for, and one of my 'short stories' has turned into something that I think might expand into an actual book; there is more in there than I originally planned on, and it meshes (mashes?) up nicely with snippets I wrote years ago.

Went out to dinner last night with our best friends. I carried half of my dinner home in a to-go box and still ate way too much, so sleep was a bit disturbed. But when I woke up and picked up my pen for Morning Pages I got a couple of paragraphs of actual writing (vs. just my usual brain-dump freewriting) and some character direction for another story. This is all quite nice.

Plan for today: church, aggressive kitchen cleaning, long walk with doggies, and write write write. 

Yesterday stats: 

🚶‍♀️7,623 (and a lot of that was weighted walks with heavy siding pieces ... hence the DOMS!)

✍️ 2,146 

• Like 4

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Yesterday actually went according to plan - who could imagine such a thing!

🚶‍♀️ 5,323 and a 7 day streak of meeting my step goal :) 

✍️ 2,368 for a day 6 total of 13,141 

This is all very good, and the aggressive kitchen cleaning and long walk with Cassie happened, too. 

Today is shaping up to be somewhat less productive, at least step-count wise. Work was crazy (always a bad day when we have to investigate whether a student has commited plagiarism) so I didn't walk on my lunch break. I did get some writing done, and I'm glad of it, because two things were true when I got home.

a) my incredible husband cleaned the oven (that's the only kitchen chore I can't do, the fumes from the cleaning chemicals are a virtually instant migraine trigger

-and-

b) my incredible husband used the lawnmower to chop up fallen leaves in the yard, and the mower kicked up an acorn and hit him square in the eye. 

So he is in a fair bit of pain, but he doesn't think his cornea is scratched. It just hurts from the impact. And I am flirting right around the edges of migraine land, because no matter how many windows you open/ fans you run while cleaning an oven, that smell lingers for a long long time.  I am extremely happy that it is supposed to be a nice night with no rain, because I am 100% sleeping with all the windows open!  I can't afford to be sick tomorrow, we are having an 'ooh this is a really big deal' visit from a major military bigwig 🙄

• Like 5

-J. R. R. Tolkien

On 11/6/2022 at 2:40 PM, Gemma said:

I got a lot more writing done than what I thought I was up for, and one of my 'short stories' has turned into something that I think might expand into an actual book; there is more in there than I originally planned on, and it meshes (mashes?) up nicely with snippets I wrote years ago.

Nice! I love seeing you and everyone else getting some creative writing done this challenge!

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

my incredible husband used the lawnmower to chop up fallen leaves in the yard, and the mower kicked up an acorn and hit him square in the eye.

Yikes, I hope he's okay. And may your head be well protected from fumes.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Good job getting your words and steps. Sorry to hear about the confluence of discomfort. Hope everything settles soon and there's no permanent damage to the eye!

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, Everstorm said:

How is everything going?

Ah, got a bit distracted there for a time. But everything is going well. The hubs' eye healed up just fine. We had an insanely busy weekend - the Marine Corps Birthday Ball (fancy dress party associated with my job) was Thursday night, and Friday we prepped for a two-day competition that the hubs was involved in. So we were out on site all weekend, and I've just begun to get caught up. 

Walking has been difficult, so I've missed target on a few days (but gone waayyyy over on others, so I guess that is balance). I'm not going to increase my goal to 5k until I am consistently hitting 4,500.  Words has been going better. I am happy with my choice to focus on short stories this November instead of a novel, because when I start to (inevitably) lose interest in a story, I can just switch to another for a while. Then, generally, when I come back to the first one a few days later, I've got a better idea for where it might go next. This is the best NaNovember I've had in a long time. 

So, catching up: 

🚶‍♀️ Nov 8 -  4,649

Nov 9 - 5,491 

Nov 10 - 3,670 (I know I did more than that, but I took off the watch when I put on the fancy party dress, so it didn't count anything after. Including a fair bit on the dance floor)

Nov 11 - 3,715 (I was exhausted! Much dancing + out past bedtime - whew!)

Nov 12 - 5,070 

Yesterday - 5,043 

✍️

Nov 8 -  2,184

Nov 9 - 2,430

Nov 10 - 1,944

Nov 11 - 1,736

Nov 12 - 1,673 (hey, barely over target is still over target, right?) (NaNoWriMo daily goal is 1,667,  to get to 50,000 words in 30 days) 

Yesterday - 1,671 

I'm on staycation for the next two weeks, which seems like it should be super productive but often leads to "eh, I've got all the time in the world so I don't need to do anything right this minute" problems. I will need to take full advantage of the Rebellion, the NFNaNo gang, and 4theWords to keep me from just laying on the sofa watching YouTube the whole time! 

Onwards! 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zn6im07wewxdetokul

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

-J. R. R. Tolkien

12 minutes ago, Gemma said:

which seems like it should be super productive but often leads to "eh, I've got all the time in the world so I don't need to do anything right this minute" problems

I resemble this remark lol

13 minutes ago, Gemma said:

the Marine Corps Birthday Ball

Did you have a nice time?  I only went once, and it seemed overrated

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination