Sara Kingdom's Hogswatch Hibernation Challenge

Guys. I am watching a Christmas special. I had totally forgotten how to do this. How can I possibly forget how to have fun this often?

• Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 3 Day 1

After a little getting worse, my sleep deficit is getting better. But I am actually sick from it, cuz bits of me hurt and I'm exhausted beyond all reason. This is like a mild cold, only with narcolepsy. I'm planning to spend all day chugging miso soup, although that feels like some effort.  I need an electric kettle in bed, which, come to think of it, is very Ridcully.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I recommend Yeti thermal tumblers. They really do keep things hot (or cold) much better than other types. Enough so that you have to be careful if you make tea with boiling water. It will still be far too hot an hour later if you leave the lid closed.

I have been having good results with taking ibuprofen and melatonin before bed. The ibuprofen helps with the achiness and the melatonin helps with my less than ideal sleep hygiene. I hope you find an approach that lets you sleep and feel better.

• Like 1

Level 68  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

37 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have been having good results with taking ibuprofen and melatonin before bed. The ibuprofen helps with the achiness and the melatonin helps with my less than ideal sleep hygiene. I hope you find an approach that lets you sleep and feel better.

It's still my sinuses. Now they've decided my whole ears-nose-throat system of tubes is just gonna be fucked. I'm working on it. More hydration would help, but it's tough to drink so much, so late in the day.

I guess that's the main job, though. I gotta get the fluids down.

• Like 1

I can tell my sleep is getting better, cuz my brain is no longer in crisis mode and has decided it's time for an illogical meltdown.

star trek spock GIF

So I'm giving it some methodical fixing-things work to do, have downed some vitamin D, and I'm gonna do more food and hydration and, like, meditation and exercise and stuff. It's probably a recovery phase or something.

Bad Decision Reaction GIF

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

So I'm giving it some methodical fixing-things work to do, have downed some vitamin D, and I'm gonna do more food and hydration and, like, meditation and exercise and stuff. It's probably a recovery phase or something.

Okay, on my list of 24 jobs, I've done everything except eat my final meal, take a walk, watch a Christmas special, and go to bed. Food will be ready soon, then I will do the first two while doing the third, and end with the fourth.

It is now time for rewarding dopamine increments to improve function in my dopamine-deprived brain.

Meditation was maybe not a great call today. It is often good for brain calming, but there are sometimes days when it really, really is not, and this was one of those. Well, no, part of it was good. Part of it really was not. But I finished, so I guess it was good training in not letting the brain win. Today is more of a distraction day, though.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's still my sinuses. Now they've decided my whole ears-nose-throat system of tubes is just gonna be fucked.

Ah yes, the tubes. I also have frequent tube sadness.

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I can tell my sleep is getting better, cuz my brain is no longer in crisis mode and has decided it's time for an illogical meltdown.

That's nice of it to wait for the meltdown until you're marginally better. I suppose an illogical meltdown actually requires some energy to pull off.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Ah yes, the tubes. I also have frequent tube sadness.

I even did the forbidden hydrogen peroxide in the ears, and pretended it didn't help, but it did. Two earaches gone, plus some sinus congestion cleared. (It's probably not the worst thing one could stick in their ears, as home remedies go, but I understand why it's probably something that should be rationed.)

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

That's nice of it to wait for the meltdown until you're marginally better. I suppose an illogical meltdown actually requires some energy to pull off.

Same theory as not getting sick till the crisis is over, or whatever. It's when you let your guard down that shit can get in. Or out in this case, I guess.

• Like 2

This was not an amazing day. I slipped on some slippery steps. It was a controlled fall, nothing I was holding broke, and I think some minor bruises is the worst of it. But one of my most bruised things was my foot, so I didn't feel like doing errands or cleaning on it, and nothing else was too bad, but I was very tired and bits hurt, and I did not want to do desk work either. I managed some. I'm cranky about that lack of productivity.

Puppy Bad Mood GIF by Simian Reflux

• Sad 5

I'm glad the fall didn't end worse and rust minor bruising is all you need to deal with. Shame about your foot, but it will heal as well. 

This situation calls for chocolate. 

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This situation calls for chocolate. 

Unfortunately, grocery buying me agreed with you, and too much chocolate is arriving. At which point, I'm taking my work to bed to put my foot up and do work and rest. Today is a "do more by doing less" kind of day. All brain work, no foot work.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

too much chocolate

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF by Ben L

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Unfortunately, grocery buying me agreed with you, and too much chocolate is arriving. At which point, I'm taking my work to bed to put my foot up and do work and rest. Today is a "do more by doing less" kind of day. All brain work, no foot work.

Sounds like a great plan. Dumbledore just went out for chocolate.

I hope your foot feels better soon.

• Like 1

Level 68  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yikes, I hope the foot heals up quick. Feet are so tricky.

It's just a bruise, from what I can tell, so probably there's little I can do to help or hurt it at this point, but yeah, feet are the worst, cuz, like, what are you supposed to stand on? It's not like you can just not use them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's just a bruise, from what I can tell, so probably there's little I can do to help or hurt it at this point, but yeah, feet are the worst, cuz, like, what are you supposed to stand on? It's not like you can just not use them.

Right and they're deceptive. They don't hurt at first, but then it turns out they were sprained all along and you shouldn't have been walking on them. Instead of a clear 'stop' signal with sharp pain, you then get months of chronic aches and years of stiffness. Better for it to hurt a lot up front.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Today is going to be kitchen cleaning day, foot or no foot. (And a couple days of foot rest did help.) I will turn on the Christmas music and settle in for a deep winter's clean. Then maybe I will bake, or maybe that's tomorrow.

• Like 4

I'm down to one more sink of dishes. I'll do it tomorrow, and bake all the things, because tomorrow is surely a baking day.

Also, note to self:

0e27107554ae56e9cc3255e04c432b791635194c

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 12/21/2022 at 6:03 AM, sarakingdom said:

Un Fortunately, grocery buying me agreed with you, and purchased an inventory of  too much chocolate which will be available for treats, recipes, and - most importantly-  emergencies, such as "it's 10 am, and I want some chocolate".  It is arriving soon.  

Happy Hogs Watch! If by some chance grocery buying self was a little ambitious with inventory of say, truffles or butter creams, please note they usually freeze well, just make sure the container they're in is tightly wrapped.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook