Last challenge was about starting to learn to bulk. As a female-type person, purposefully gaining weight seems a bit alien so it's a work in progress.

I've been very consistent with working out (3-4 weight lifting sessions per week in a 2 on/1off pattern when I can manage it, and EOD when I have a scheduling conflict). Our gym set up is in our garage and the death-humidity-heat (which is honestly not even that bad) season is over, so obstacles to lifting due to weather/environment should be minimal.

I haven't been terribly consistent with my diet, however. I don't track my food, but have been in this game long enough to eyeball most things. I know I'm low on protein. I consistently chase my workout with a scoop of protein powder, lunch is usually a cold cut sandwich and dinner has SOME protein in, but if I had to make a wild guess, I'd say I'm usually around 60g of protein per day. This isn't TERRIBLE but absolutely leaves room for improvement.

From that list, breakfast is an obvious place to adjust. My current every day breakfast is two pieces of toast smeared with peanut butter and a bit of honey. It is delicious and filling but not terribly high in protein. I do it because it is quick, easy, and doesn't require too much thought. If I can find something else that I can do as quickly and automatically that has a better ratio of protein to calories, that would be great. Experiments will ensue. Four weeks (including zero week here) will give me some time to figure out some better options, or to decide that I should get protein somewhere else since this toast-in-the-morning habit is not going to be broken.

Goals

1. Consistent workouts. I know this sounds vague, but it basically means 2 on/1 off unless there's a very good reason otherwise: trip to a Disney park (we're passholders so go often for just an afternoon/evening), major house chores, major social event, etc.
  2. Eat more protein, particularly experiment with breakfasts (see above)
  3. Various adulting tasks. This is mostly a brain dump for my own self as I have a lot of things that are out in the ether. Writing them out here should help me tack them down and keep them from floating away.
    1. Set up meeting with accountant, since tax season will be here soon.
      1. Assemble/organize any docs the accountant will need to do our taxes after the beginning of next year.
    2. Investigate costs/vendors to get the house painted. I've only ever lived in houses with siding that do not need painting so this will be a new experience
    3. Clean out and organize filing cabinet. It's chock full of stuff that can be stored elsewhere and then the current files can be rearranged in a way that actually makes sense and perhaps I can clear the bits and bobs that accumulate on my desk into something usable.
    4. Other cleaning/organizing. I'll be off between Christmas Day and New Years Day, which is not technically encompassed by this mini challenge, but hubs and I have discussed taking a few days to clean, organize, purge and develop storage for various places in our house. We are short on closets, so optimizing storage vs. accessibility will take some time but will be well worth it. I want to find a good working solution for my office/desk as it's a bit of a catch-all at the moment.
    5. Make doctor's appointment.  I have a regular woman-parts doctor, but no PCP so I will find someone and get an appointment scheduled to establish care.
    6. Get estimates/proposals for tree trimming. Hurricane season is over (essentially) and I'd like to be well in front of next year's winds. An expert's opinion on our many trees would be welcome. Given the LARGE amount of yard clean up we had for the two storms that went over us this year, I'd like to have less of that next year.
    7. Schedule a massage for me and for hubs. Neither of us has been in a LONG time so it would be nice to forcibly relax for an hour.

Bonus goal that is not a goal: be mindful of alcohol intake. I have this goal crop up from time to time. I don't necessarily want to quit drinking, I just want to be more mindful of why I'm drinking when I choose to have one. It gets a little mindful/habitual at times and I like to remind myself that it doesn't have to be that way.

I think that about wraps it up for the moment. Today is an actual rest day, so I'm doing laundry, hubs and I will likely hit Lowes for some house stuff, there may or may not be lawn mowing later. Also probably video games.

10 minutes ago, sylph said:
  • Make doctor's appointment.  I have a regular woman-parts doctor, but no PCP so I will find someone and get an appointment scheduled to establish care.
  • Get estimates/proposals for tree trimming.

Somehow this blurred together to lady parts trimming and I was about to ask what sort of advanced shit is going in here that you need proposals? 😆It might be early bed time for me… 

• Haha 2

Here for it! :)

Soft boiled eggs maybe? 

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Bonus goal that is not a goal: be mindful of alcohol intake. I have this goal crop up from time to time. I don't necessarily want to quit drinking, I just want to be more mindful of why I'm drinking when I choose to have one. It gets a little mindful/habitual at times and I like to remind myself that it doesn't have to be that way.

I am convinced this is good for the gainz. 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Somehow this blurred together to lady parts trimming and I was about to ask what sort of advanced shit is going in here that you need proposals? 😆It might be early bed time for me… 

Oh dear! That would be some advanced shit for sure. Some kind of topiary or something, I imagine.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Here for it! :)

Soft boiled eggs maybe? 

I am convinced this is good for the gainz. 

I do like eggs. Fried egg sandwich was high on my 'things to try' list. Or a quick omelet/scramble with some cheese and veg.

I'm generally a 'sweet' breakfast person over a 'savory' breakfast person, but I'm willing to give other things a shot.

I am sure it is, so being aware of it will be a good thing for me, I think.

Not being a soft boiled fan, I can't comment on their longevity, but one thing I love about hard boiled eggs is I can do a bunch of them at once and then have eggs to go all week. I also love a bowl of oatmeal for winter breakfasts, and I know some people throw some protein powder in the pot to get a little extra oomph out of it.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Somehow this blurred together to lady parts trimming and I was about to ask what sort of advanced shit is going in here that you need proposals? 😆

Don't kink shame. 😇

26 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Not being a soft boiled fan, I can't comment on their longevity

Can confirm they keep in the fridge as long as hardboiled eggs.

If sweet is required, a nut-heavy muesli is an option, or a batch of egg custard made once a week. (Eggnog would be the seasonal blender-friendly variation. Not to hard to get a couple of eggs and a glass of milk in pretty quickly via eggnog.)

I'd recommend one week of tracking just as a reality check on your actual macros. The occasional formal recording process is worth it.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Not being a soft boiled fan, I can't comment on their longevity, but one thing I love about hard boiled eggs is I can do a bunch of them at once and then have eggs to go all week. I also love a bowl of oatmeal for winter breakfasts, and I know some people throw some protein powder in the pot to get a little extra oomph out of it.

I do love hard boiled eggs, but mostly when mixed with mayo/mustard/seasonings for either egg salad or deviled eggs... worth doing up a batch regardless.

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Don't kink shame. 😇

Can confirm they keep in the fridge as long as hardboiled eggs.

If sweet is required, a nut-heavy muesli is an option, or a batch of egg custard made once a week. (Eggnog would be the seasonal blender-friendly variation. Not to hard to get a couple of eggs and a glass of milk in pretty quickly via eggnog.)

I'd recommend one week of tracking just as a reality check on your actual macros. The occasional formal recording process is worth it.

I don't think I've ever had an egg custard... perhaps I will investigate.

And after years and years of religiously tracking everything that went into my mouth, I will likely never do it again. Approximate numbers are enough for me.

Forgot about +protein breakfast this morning and had my toast on autopilot. A couple hours later, I realized this and had a protein shake just to boost some morning protein.

Took a trip to the post office and puttered around for the morning, played some video games, etc. Now I need to finish up laundry, possibly get out and weed whack since hubs is mowing, get a squat workout in, and dye my hair.

Busy!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sylph said:

I do love hard boiled eggs, but mostly when mixed with mayo/mustard/seasonings for either egg salad or deviled eggs... worth doing up a batch regardless.

The best way to eat them, IMO. Egg salad can make a nice breakfast, but it is on the savory side.

7 minutes ago, sylph said:

I don't think I've ever had an egg custard... perhaps I will investigate.

While they are basically eggs and milk, I wouldn't call them dense protein. But it'd pass for a basic protein shake equivalent. Oh, also yogurt with berries and nuts. That's more on the protein side. Also not by tons, cuz milk is mostly water again, but close enough.

8 minutes ago, sylph said:

And after years and years of religiously tracking everything that went into my mouth, I will likely never do it again. Approximate numbers are enough for me.

Legit. I'm not in favor of precise daily tracking as a regular thing for basically all those reasons, so I respect a check-in being too much. As a scientist, I like data confirmations, but the cost can be too high.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

44 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Legit. I'm not in favor of precise daily tracking as a regular thing for basically all those reasons, so I respect a check-in being too much. As a scientist, I like data confirmations, but the cost can be too high.

I also like data, but in this case, I can do rough numbers and have that be good enough. I will never (okay, likely never) come in here and wail and gnash my teeth because I don't know why I'm not making progress. It's all a matter of balancing effort, caloric intake, and appropriate recovery. If I'm not making progress, 99% of the time I know why and the other 1% I don't care enough to think about it. I am lucky in the fact that my body generally responds how I think it will and I have no known hormonal wonkiness that will throw off the basic math of weight gain or loss. This lets me be a little loose-y goose-y for some things.

Something else that helped me a lot with breakfasts was leftovers. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for breakfast foods, and then I realized that if I had some chicken in the fridge, there is no rule that I can't have that for breakfast.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

13 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Something else that helped me a lot with breakfasts was leftovers. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for breakfast foods, and then I realized that if I had some chicken in the fridge, there is no rule that I can't have that for breakfast.

I am ALWAYS in the mood for breakfast foods. :) I could eat French toast 24/7 if it didn't feel like so much work. The inverse corollary is also true: I can't eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast. Hubs has no problem with a slice of cold pizza from the fridge at 9a. That makes me queasy just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Laundry finished

Weeds whacked

Squats squatted

This morning I made a valiant attempt at a protein breakfast by considering making eggs and got a giant wave of "no way" from my stomach, which is weird. So, toast again. I will have some kind of protein snack in a bit here in order to help make up the difference.

Perhaps tomorrow I will try an individual serving of French toast as an attempt to split the difference. And then I will be out of bread and forced to make a different breakfast until I grocery shop.

Bench press is on deck today and I really do need to dye my hair. Roots are out of control. Also need a trip to Lowes and a  walk up to the post office.

I've pinged our accountant for a meeting next week so that task is on the way to completion. Also paid some bills and sorted through my work emails since I was off last week.

• That's Metal 1
33 minutes ago, sylph said:

I am ALWAYS in the mood for breakfast foods. :) I could eat French toast 24/7 if it didn't feel like so much work. The inverse corollary is also true: I can't eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast. Hubs has no problem with a slice of cold pizza from the fridge at 9a. That makes me queasy just thinking about it.

This is the same problem my sister and I have. She always wants breakfast for dinner and I don't even want breakfast for breakfast. 

High protein breakfast has been a bust for the past two days. Buuuut, I suppose that's what zero week is for, eh?I'll either figure it out or won't. If not, I'll shift to a different strategy to get some additional protein. I've already started grabbing a slice or two of deli turkey when I want a snack, rather than something carb-y like a granola bar, so progress is being made in some direction anyway.

Deadlifts are on the schedule for today.

Also, I don't know when I will ever be able to dye my hair, since as of yesterday the bathroom I use for that is occupied with two little balls of fluff. The local shelter called us to see if we could help foster a litter of kittens that need a little extra time to grow before being spayed/neutered and then adopted. So we went and picked up a pair of tiny girls (1 lb and 1.1 lb currently, even though they are 7 weeks old) to give some extra love, attention and primarily FOOD to. They'll be with us until they are closer to 2.5 lbs so probably at least three weeks if not longer than that.

They are adorable and sweet and SO SMOL.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sylph said:

This morning I woke up wishing I hadn't. Perhaps I can keep this feeling in mind when contemplating drinks before bed in the future.

Simply remove all alcohol from the house, so even in a moment of memory loss it simply won't happen? :P

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

Umm.. it's been a bit so I don't really remember where I've left off..

so here are some random updates:

• Workouts are fine/good--it's deload week which is super effing boring but eh, whatever.
  • Meeting with the accountant was good. We are on the right track so I just need to get the rest of our info into the format that I did the sample month and that should be mostly good.
  • I bought some alternate-yet-fast breakfast options the last time I went grocery shopping (protein waffles and toaster egg/bacon/muffin things) for some easier breakfasts and to try to break the breakfast toast cycle. 50/50 thus far. I wonder if I just keep my breakfast the way it is and get more protein somewhere else. I like my peanut butter toast ritual.
  • Foster kittens continue to be adorable. I am worried about one of them since she doesn't seem to be gaining much weight--however, this is in comparison to her sister so I really should get the scale out and see if that is backed by actual data

Deadlift deload workout on deck for today

I think that's all, I really do need to get back to updating here and keeping my goals in mind as I've been pretty busy this last week and I've ben preoccupied with other stuff. (Tiny kittens are tons of work so lots of things are falling by the wayside at the moment)

• Like 1

If you really enjoy your breakfast toast ritual, it seems fair to me to leave it be and focus on getting more protein in elsewhere. Peanut butter's got some protein to it, and you can look into protein breads maybe if you want to bump it up. Disclaimer: the only thing I know about protein bread is that it exists.

On 12/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, sylph said:

I think that's all, I really do need to get back to updating here and keeping my goals in mind as I've been pretty busy this last week and I've ben preoccupied with other stuff. (Tiny kittens are tons of work so lots of things are falling by the wayside at the moment)

Yes come update! Otherwise we'll miss you. The kittens can't have all of you, even if they are adorable :P