Cry Havoc #43: Wintering in Kaer Morhen before a Journey to the Dragon Isles

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u9.jpg
"My armor is contempt.  My shield is discipline.  My blade, however... absolute righteous fury."

Challenge Inspiration:  The Yuletide is a herald for winter coming on the heels of Winter Solstice, harkening a season for merriment and rest after the efforts and ardor of autumn.  With that quite ancient of holidays approaching and in mind, and this 3-week holiday mini-challenge beginning, it feels like the right timing for a 'wintering at home' kind of challenge to contemplate and prepare for the new year right around the corner.  World of Warcraft's highly-anticipated expansion Dragonflight releases this Tuesday, and I've been reading my Witcher and Witch Hunter dusty e-book tomes of late, alongside our finally closing on the new house, I thought I would try combining these two inspirations into a kind of 'rugged homesteady hygge preparation challenge' to drum up some motivation to try another crack at having some goals stick to set myself up for good fortune in the wars to come...

Goals:
  • [BLOOD ALCHEMY] (+CON):  Don't eat like an asshole 7/7 days, including holidays.  Pass/Fail.
  • [HATRED]  (+STR, DEX):  Three garage gym workouts per week.
  • [DISCIPLINE] (+INT):  Post thrice weekly on the Forums, weekly weigh-in on Mondays.

And now it begins.

• Like 7

[Level ??] Rurik, the Hexbane 

Class: Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment: School of the Wolf armor, Wolven steel sword & Deargdaith silver blade, adventurer's pack with alchemist's kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Week Zero:  Dead-on-arrival.

Week 1:

• [BLOOD ALCHEMY] (+CON)☑☑☑☐☐☑☑  
  • [HATRED]  (+STR, DEX):  ☑☑  
  • [DISCIPLINE] (+INT):  ☑☑  
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5:

Equipment: School of the Wolf armor, Wolven steel sword & Deargdaith silver blade, adventurer's pack with alchemist's kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Pretty sure I'm required to follow any thread that mentions both Yuletide and Solstice...

I would follow for support regardless 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Wrestles her demons 

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 75

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 11/27/2022 at 9:29 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here, as always, to follow along old friend.

The Musketeers Only — Aramis leaning against things (Inspired by the...

On 11/28/2022 at 6:31 AM, RES said:

Pretty sure I'm required to follow any thread that mentions both Yuletide and Solstice...

I would follow for support regardless 

We like to keep things a little off-the-beaten-path around here.  Like, Mario gingerbread house and nerd-themed Yule Eve sort of 'off.'  B) 

On 11/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, DaemonCorax said:

+10 points for the use of "hygge" and "blood alchemy" in the same post. 🤣

Yes, well... my eccentricities know no bounds ;) 

• Like 5

Quick Week Zero and #MiniMomoaMonday update...

Since I'm mostly using Week Zero to ease back into a healthier routine after months of chaos and the last month of particular disregard, I've been focusing on my #1 goal which is...

• [BLOOD ALCHEMY] (+CON):  Haven't been eating like an asshole!  Although one night I was asshole-adjacent - which is eating like a taint?  🤷‍♂️ I even got the scale out to measure this morning's protein pancakes though!
  • [HATRED]  (+STR, DEX):  Haven't exercised yet but I'll probably hop on the row wagon with Spezzy this week, even though I'm itching for a Log Press workout.
  • [DISCIPLINE] (+INT):  My first quasi-update this challenge!
Thank you, my people!  Have a wonderful day.  Here's my humble #MomoaThursday offering.

Jason Momoa Wore a Loincloth on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'- Gayety

I would have posted the reverse view but Hump Day was yesterday apparently... ;) 

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Let's see how consistent you'll be with updates this time round... 😏

Now that someone has called me out on it, I really have to be, don't I? 😛 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u9.jpg
"My armor is contempt.  My shield is discipline.  My blade, however... absolute righteous fury."

[Blood Moon Rising Quest Log]

Challenge Journal:  January 24, 2022.

Weight:  239.2lbs  

Somehow this week really slipped by!  The home purchasing stress has passed but my truck decided to konk out, and then we've been fighting with Home Depot over a delivery order (although they did accidentally drop off some extra plywood, all of which was the superior version of what we had asked for!), and immigration paperwork, etc etc.  Week Zero was a dud, Week 1 was a bit of a zero, so maybe at this rate we can expect Week 2 to look like a proper Week 1 haha

I guess that means it's time to brush the dust off and get to work.

feb3c565836201dec333a882fe576d28.gif

Goals:
  • [BLOOD ALCHEMY] (+CON)☑☑☑☐☐☑☑  I wasn't a super stickler this week but @spezzy called me out on my sneak-snacking which has lead to some weight-gain this year, but I've mostly behaved this week.  Taint-adjacent or better!  We've also been experimenting with box and scratch baking for treats, but have been very responsible with portion sizes so I'm calling that a big win too.
  • [HATRED]  (+STR, DEX):  ☑☑  I only rowed once and doinked around with my log press for a few minutes this week, barely worth the two checkmarks I'm awarding myself but I need to build the momentum ;) 
  • [DISCIPLINE] (+INT):  ☑☑  This is my second update this week, which is leagues better than basically the whole of 2022, but I can similarly do better.  Tragically my main motivation was being called out by @DarK_RaideR earlier this week, and then Spezzy again today... we might be onto something with shame-based motivation 🤣

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

we might be onto something with shame-based motivation

Weed Checks Out GIF by Originals

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Wrestles her demons 

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 75

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 12/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, RES said:

Weed Checks Out GIF by Originals

On 12/11/2022 at 3:42 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

You know you love it... Even if it's often called accountability 😛

On 12/11/2022 at 4:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Season 11 No GIF by Curb Your EnthusiasmPop Tv No GIF by Schitt's CreekNo Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Yes, well... accountability probably sounds a lil better than shame but it be what it be ;) 

• Like 2

[Wintering in Kaer Morhen Quest Log]

Challenge Journal:  December 14 of 2022.

Just a quicky update because it's been busy as usual.

Now that there's snow on the ground and the temperature has been below freezing, the garage gym hasn't been the most pleasant place to be - so I've been trying to track down a local electrician who can wire us the appropriate plug to install an industrial heater for the garage.  Sounds like we can have something that'll heat things to a manageable temperature in 30 mins or so.  So hopefully I can have a few quotes come in this week and maybe have someone working on it by early next week!

Until then I'll probably just aim for a daily row or something. Swing a kettlebell or something after that?  That'd be doable.

• Like 3

[Wintering in Kaer Morhen Quest Log]

Challenge Journal:  December 22 of 2022.

Better late than never!

Honestly these holidays are probably just going to be a Survival Holding Pattern moving forward.  It's been so busy trying to get my immigration paperwork out the door, and finish up a few pre-winter seasonal tasks I left late, that I've only been half-thinking about keeping my senses about eating (although we seem to have perfected a no-sugar boxed brownie mix up-healthied with protein+ Greek yogurt and eggs to replace the oil) as a snack which has dramatically reduced our sugar and ice cream intake 😅

I've got more of the garage gym insulated and a few more walls up.  Soon we'll be able to heat it which will be a huge game-changer, I'm hoping!

Until then, I'll just be keepin' on, keepin' on.

Although I've got some plans for the first challenge of 2023.  Hoping those'll be enough to get my monster-slayin' arse in gear!

• Like 6