Artemis Prime Hangs Up the HOLLY

Hey all, my challenges have been a little loosey-goosey lately, and I think I need a little more structure, so I have plans for next year's first challenge, and we're going to transition back to themes with a little Christmas mini-challenge. If the weather cooperates, I'll get some more barn work done and share pictures, but we're not going to focus on that. Instead, we're decking the halls with HOLLY:

Hydrate

I was doing really well with this through the summer/fall, but as soon as the weather changed, my water intake tanked. Also my alcohol consumption has been slowly creeping up, which isn't a good combo. The goal here is simple enough: fill my water bottle every morning and empty it by bedtime, plus no alcoholic beverages unless I'm at least 75% through my water bottle.

Organize

My parents made us clean our rooms really well right before Christmas because they said we shouldn't be getting new stuff if we can't take care of what we already have. So I always get the urge to clean this time of year. I had the house pretty clean before Thanksgiving - a large influx of company sort of destroyed that, but it won't take much to whip it back into shape. So I'll take care of that and then do something about my desk, which has been buried under papers for months.

Lift

I am bound and determined to finish this chin up program before the end of the year. I have lifting plans for next year, and not only do I want to get my chin ups back, but I also want to start developing some workout consistency.

Liturgy

We are closing in on my one year anniversary of coming to the Anglican Church, and I am loving it. Advent (which started yesterday) is also the start of the church year, so I've decided it's a good time to start doing Morning Prayer. This will also be helpful as part of the spiritual direction process that I'm starting to determine whether or not I should pursue ordination as a deacon. I'm also still more or less following the Bible Eater plan I started in October. 

Yule

'tis the season after all. One of the things I really want to get away from is spending evenings on my phone, which I believe is the leading contributor to my recent sleeping problems. Therefore the plan is to pack my evenings full of Christmas activities such as decorating, baking cookies, watching Christmas movies, playing Christmas carols, etc. I also have a stack of Christmas books and Christmas jigsaw puzzles. This is supposed to be fun, so there's no real plan here, except that I cannot open games or social media on my phone after 5. Possible exception for NF, which I never really think of as social media anyways. You guys are way too wholesome for that.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Omg.  An anacronym challenge.  The best!   

Here for this!

• Like 1

Level 80 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

7 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

My parents made us clean our rooms really well right before Christmas because they said we shouldn't be getting new stuff if we can't take care of what we already have. So I always get the urge to clean this time of year. I had the house pretty clean before Thanksgiving - a large influx of company sort of destroyed that, but it won't take much to whip it back into shape. So I'll take care of that and then do something about my desk, which has been buried under papers for months.

This is genius, may do this with my kids! 

7 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

'tis the season after all. One of the things I really want to get away from is spending evenings on my phone, which I believe is the leading contributor to my recent sleeping problems. Therefore the plan is to pack my evenings full of Christmas activities such as decorating, baking cookies, watching Christmas movies, playing Christmas carols, etc. I also have a stack of Christmas books and Christmas jigsaw puzzles. This is supposed to be fun, so there's no real plan here, except that I cannot open games or social media on my phone after 5. Possible exception for NF, which I never really think of as social media anyways. You guys are way too wholesome for that.

Great plan. Phone addiction is annoying and when it messes with your sleep it's just awful.. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; 370/5000km & reading to my kids 32/365 days (updated feb-5)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

23 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Oh my gosh, this is awesome! Hope this makes for an epic December! 😍😍

22 hours ago, starpuck said:

Omg.  An anacronym challenge.  The best!   

Here for this!

21 hours ago, Salinger said:

The acronym is incredible. 

Lots of love AP xx

Thanks guys, I was pretty proud of it.

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

This is genius, may do this with my kids! 

I can't say I was a fan as a kid, but in hindsight it was a pretty good move.

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Great plan. Phone addiction is annoying and when it messes with your sleep it's just awful.. 

It's such a sneaky thing too. Every time I think I have it licked, it comes crawling back in.

15 hours ago, sylph said:

oh, I like this. I may have to adapt something like this for myself.

I'm hoping to have better success by being specific on what I'm limiting. I've tried before with a blanket "no phone after X" rule, but I always end up breaking it to check a hockey score or tomorrow's weather or something like that, and then since I've already broken it, I might as well play a quick level and then it snowballs from there. 

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

2 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

'm hoping to have better success by being specific on what I'm limiting. I've tried before with a blanket "no phone after X" rule, but I always end up breaking it to check a hockey score or tomorrow's weather or something like that, and then since I've already broken it, I might as well play a quick level and then it snowballs from there. 

Smart adjustment, to be sure.

Off to a pretty good start here guys. Administrative note: I'm planning to run this challenge through the end of the year, then pick up the new challenge with Week 1 on Jan 2.  I've added counters to the goals as well, so I have some way of looking back and seeing how I did over the whole challenge. Organize didn't get one, though, because there's not really anything to count there, just trying to have a clean house by Christmas.

Hydrate: Drank my entire water bottle, plus another glass at dinner. No alcoholic beverages, although that's usually more of an issue on the weekend. 

Counter: 1/34

Organize: Got the jigsaw puzzle out of the middle of the living room and caught up on some laundry.

Lift: Did Week 2 Day 3 of the program. Felt pretty good.

Counter: 1/14

Liturgy: Did Morning Prayer yesterday, which is what it getting tracked in the counter, although just for weekdays. Also did my Bible Eater reading.

Counter: 1/25

Yule: My best friend is having her Christmas party on Saturday, so I probably won't kick off the full holiday spirit until then, but I did play a few Christmas songs on the guitar. In addition to getting my workout and laundry done, I also finished a book and played with the cat. Amazing how much I can do when I'm not stuck to my phone. Also slept better last night. Still woke up a few times, but didn't have any trouble getting back to sleep.

Counter: 1/34

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Possible exception for NF, which I never really think of as social media anyways. You guys are way too wholesome for that.

That's my position too.  A positive antidote to the rest of the online everything .....

• Like 2

Jed'aii Ranger

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Amazing how much I can do when I'm not stuck to my phone. Also slept better last night. Still woke up a few times, but didn't have any trouble getting back to sleep.

Excellent 🙏

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:07 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I LOVE this. My mom did the same with us. I recently started cleaning out my desk and it's been a good reminder for that things have been really hectic and I can be a little kinder to myself about the mess. I hope you feel that way when you tackle the papers.  

I am super excited about your chip up programs!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

That's my position too.  A positive antidote to the rest of the online everything .....

I always say NF gives me unrealistic expectations for the rest of the Internet. I'm consistently disappointed in my writing forum, and it's all y'alls fault.

17 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I am super excited about your chip up programs!

Me too! It's doing wonderful things for my biceps.

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey AP ! Thanks for all your support!

What are your plans today? xx

Hey, Sal! My plans are a bit up in the air at the moment. I really should go get feed and bedding, but it's raining at the moment, so we'll see what it's doing after work. I think the rain's supposed to stop around 1. My book club is meeting today, but there's also a noon Eucharist. I think I'm going to go to the Eucharist because that will be my liturgy for the day (have I mentioned that I'm doing Morning Prayer on my lunch break?) and because I didn't read the book for this month. It was If You Tell by Gregg Olsen and it's a true story about an abusive mother, and I just couldn't get in the headspace for it. Instead I read a romance about best friends falling in love while trying to save a Christmas tree farm.  Anyways, I'd also like to do a chin up workout tonight, but a lot of that depends on whether I end up going to the feed store or not. Either way, definitely going to do some cleaning this evening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Day 2 in the books. 

Hydrate: No booze, yes water. Counter: 2/34

Organize: Didn't get any cleaning done last night.

Lift: Rest Day. Counter: 1/14

Liturgy: Morning Prayer and Bible Eater done. Counter: 2/25

Yule: No Christmas activities last night, but no phone time either. I went to my neighbor's house after work to carry some stuff downstairs for her and ended up staying for dinner. Which was delicious chicken pot pie, but like all grandmothers, she gave me way too much and I came home stuffed. Plus I always come home exhausted from her house, no matter what I do, which I don't entirely understand. I felt fine over there, but as soon as I walked in my door, I crashed. This is when it's most tempting to play on my phone, because it was way too early to go to bed, but I had no energy to actually do anything and that was an attractively mindless option. Instead, I played one song on the piano then read for a little bit. Still fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 3. Couldn't move to bed because my cat was sleeping on me, so I read another chapter. Then she woke up and went to get a snack, so I went upstairs and fell back asleep pretty easy. Counter: 2/34

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I went to my neighbor's house after work to carry some stuff downstairs for her and ended up staying for dinner. Which was delicious chicken pot pie, but like all grandmothers, she gave me way too much and I came home stuffed. Plus I always come home exhausted from her house, no matter what I do, which I don't entirely understand.

That's nice! :)

34 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I felt fine over there, but as soon as I walked in my door, I crashed. This is when it's most tempting to play on my phone, because it was way too early to go to bed, but I had no energy to actually do anything and that was an attractively mindless option. Instead, I played one song on the piano then read for a little bit. Still fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 3. Couldn't move to bed because my cat was sleeping on me, so I read another chapter. Then she woke up and went to get a snack, so I went upstairs and fell back asleep pretty easy. Counter: 2/34

That sounds like a great use of the evening. 😍

• Like 1
On 11/28/2022 at 4:14 PM, sylph said:

NF, which I never really think of as social media anyways. You guys are way too wholesome for that.

So true.   I try to tell my sis,  that really, NF is kinda like 'small groups' that churches have.    (I would love to join an actual one at my church but never felt like one seemed fitting for me.)  But we really do just "do life together" and there's plenty of support and prayers and guidance along the way here too.  I love this place!!

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

story about an abusive mother, and I just couldn't get in the headspace for it. Instead I read a romance about best friends falling in love while trying to save a Christmas tree farm.

That is a really crazy gear shift!   LOL.   Like going from A&E crime channel to Hallmark channel!  LOL

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 80 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

46 minutes ago, starpuck said:

That is a really crazy gear shift!   LOL.   Like going from A&E crime channel to Hallmark channel!  LOL

It may have been a bit of an overcorrection, but I read the first few chapters of If You Tell and immediately decided that I needed the literary equivalent of puppy snuggles.

46 minutes ago, starpuck said:

I love this place!!

It really is the best. It's one of the few places I don't feel the need to pretend that I have things more together than I really do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

it was way too early to go to bed

I've heard people say this before, but.. why? it's never too early for bed surely :D

Maybe just being on your best behaviour, as you do with grandmothers, is just really tiring? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I've heard people say this before, but.. why? it's never too early for bed surely :D

My fear (it isn't really a fear. English needs a word for a very minor concern.) is that if I go to bed that early I'll wake up at 3 instead of sleeping through the night. So instead I fall asleep on the couch and still wake up at 3. There may be a flaw in my system.

57 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Maybe just being on your best behaviour, as you do with grandmothers, is just really tiring? 

Maybe. Or I had the thought that for years I went to her place and did actual strenuous farm labor. Maybe I come home and my body's just like "I was at Rosemary's. Must be exhausted now." I don't know if that's a thing, but it's the best theory I've got.

• Haha 1

Day 3 down! Don't know how long I'll be able to keep up this level of activity on the forum, but so far it's working for me.

Hydrate: Drank my water, didn't have any alcohol. Counter: 3/34

Organize: Ran the vacuum and put away some laundry.

Lift: Did Week 3 Day 1. A heavier load than the last workout, and I'm feeling it. Pretty sure the next workout is the heaviest one of the whole program. Yikes. Counter: 2/14

Liturgy: Did my Bible Eater reading. Did not do Morning Prayer, but I did attend noon Eucharist, so I'm counting it. Counter: 3/34

Yule: No Christmas activities, but no phone. I did stop and the feed store after work, then had to unload the feed and throw some woodchips down in the mud. By the time I finished chores it was dinner time, but I ate a really light dinner so I could do a workout after. I did my cleaning while I let my food settle and then I did my workout. After that I read for a while and went to bed and slept through the night. I like this trend. Counter: 3/34

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Day 3 down! Don't know how long I'll be able to keep up this level of activity on the forum, but so far it's working for me.

There is a lot more time for NF when we're not doing other stuff on our phones x)

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

After that I read for a while and went to bed and slept through the night.

This is great :) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

There is a lot more time for NF when we're not doing other stuff on our phones x)

Funny how that works. I knew I was spending a lot of time on my phone, but I hadn't realized quite how much other stuff I could get done in that same time. I've done more reading this week than in the previous month, I think.  And I'm 2 for 2 on my workouts so far, which has not been the case lately. The phone is just such a time sink. I'll think "I'll take a 10 minute break on my phone then go do something" but that never happens. Much better to just get up and do the thing now, and then it's done and I can relax and read or watch some Critical Role.

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

This is great :) 

It really is. 

• Like 3

Day 4:

Hydrate: Drank my water. Usually have a drink at my sister's, but I wasn't feeling it last night, even though I had drank enough water at that point that I could have had one. Counter: 4/34

Organize: Meant to do some outdoor cleanup last night, but I had some trouble with the water line to the barn and by the time I got that working I'd lost the light. 

Lift: Rest day. Counter: 2/14

Liturgy: Morning Prayer and Bible Eater done. Counter: 4/25

Yule: Went to my sister's for dinner and kind of helped her with Christmas decorations. She was almost done by the time I got there, but I offered support and encouragement while she put the star on her tree. Then we watched a not very good Christmas movie. I often hop on my phone while watching stuff at her place, but other than keeping half an eye on the Pens' score, I didn't have my phone out and it was much more fun to watch a bad movie with her when I was actually watching it. Got home around 9:30 and had another good night's sleep. Counter: 4/34

I need to stop at the grocery store on my way home, but still hoping to get a workout in tonight as well. It won't be terrible if I don't because I have time tomorrow and often like a Saturday workout. My friend's Christmas party is tomorrow and there will be drinking, so I'll have to hit the water early, but I'm not staying overnight, so I'll only have a couple drinks.

• Like 7