For this holiday challenge I'd like to focus on being present with my family, giving my gratitude practice a bit of extra attention, reflecting on the previous year(s), evaluating goals and prepping for the new year. Which seems like quite a bit for just 3 weeks :) but it's really just two things; 

1. Put down the phone

My elbows and thumbs have been hurting, which is at least in part due to my increased training volume, but it did get me thinking about my behaviour around my phone. I've been playing too many silly games or reading on my phone around my kids. Reading is an example I'd like to give them, but they can't see that I'm doing that when I'm on my phone.. so; 

- severely limit phone usage around my kids

- pick out a physical book or two to read

2. Set up my new bujo 

I've ordered a new notebook which should arrive soon. I've been thinking about what I use it for, what I want to use it for more and how to make that happen. These thoughts need to go on paper so I'll be more intentional with it and to help me setup the new journal in the best way possible. 

- write down these reflections

- review my goals and priorities

- make a list of spreads that would support my goals

- set it all up :)

- get back to daily thankfulness, highlights and ❤️ notes

I also intend to keep up and report on my previous two challenge goals; doing everything possible by bike (I've done 400km in the last 4 weeks!) and my resurrected training for goals plan. I made a battle log to keep track of my training in detail, I'll just mention notes/thoughts/highlights here. 

• Like 11

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Here for this! I've slipped back on to instagram, but I still make the icon really hard to find on my phone. My best method for dealing with this though is to "forget" my phone in another room/part of the house. Drives my husband nuts because eventually the forgetting becomes real, but it gives me clarity of mind when I'm on the floor with the Legos.

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax Treks Overland

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

On 11/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Phone addiction is real, and difficult to fight. Here to support you.

Thanks! I think I'll need it, today was hard. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:43 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Here for this! I've slipped back on to instagram, but I still make the icon really hard to find on my phone. My best method for dealing with this though is to "forget" my phone in another room/part of the house. Drives my husband nuts because eventually the forgetting becomes real, but it gives me clarity of mind when I'm on the floor with the Legos.

Instagram is a big one for me too... I do use it for work and also for inspiration, relaxation? maybe that last one is an illusion. 

Keeping your comment in mind I left my phone on the charger while we played a game today, it did help but it was also hard. 

On 11/28/2022 at 8:52 PM, sylph said:

Here to follow along, as always.

Glad to have you! 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:20 PM, Harriet said:

Yes, fight back the distraction addiction! I hope you have a reflective and mindful change of year.

Thank you 😘 distraction addiction is a good 'word' for it. 

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

A new shiny notebook!❤️

Yes! I havent actually finished my current one yet, and normally I would and just start a new one when its full... but I thought it would be nice to just start a new one at the beginning of a new year. Seems a bit wasteful, but really, if it makes me happy, why not? fresh start is very attractive atm. 

23 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Yesss I love a new bujo.

me too ❤️ 

7 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Ah, a phone fighting friend! Wishing you much success.

Thank you! Likewise! 

• Like 1

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

6 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yes! I havent actually finished my current one yet, and normally I would and just start a new one when its full... but I thought it would be nice to just start a new one at the beginning of a new year. Seems a bit wasteful, but really, if it makes me happy, why not? fresh start is very attractive atm. 

I agree. I think I may join in the fun and get a new notebook too. 

• That's Metal 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Tuesday

It was a long day at work, a doctors appointment and then rush hour with the kids. I was on my phone a couple of times before I was even consciously aware of it, mostly put it away again quickly. Also left it on the charger for a bit, which helped but really made me physically uncomfortable- which says enough; that this challenge is a great idea. 

Did my training in my lunch break, I had some don't wannas (rough night) but I did it anyway mostly thanks to the accountability here, thanks! 

• Like 6

Doodling. I keep a lab notebook for my job because (1) I'm a note taker (2) I MUST write down all the things, but also it gives me a place to scribble. In a boring meeting who's to know that I'm actually writing down the different gear ratio and gear inch calculations for all the gear ranges I have on my bicycles? Or drawing? Instead of ingesting information or noise, I'm creating a little bit.

• Like 1

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax Treks Overland

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

23 hours ago, sylph said:

Yassss! Good work!

Thanks! :)

19 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

I've begun bujo-ing at work and it's quite essential for the fast and busy bits.

So is the phone, for the slow and boring bits.

😕

How do you bujo for the fast and busy bits? I'm intrigued. 

And well.. then it sounds like a blessing that you have the option of using your phone when its boring, right? unless you have better options to choose from. 

13 hours ago, Waanie said:

If you learn of any way of combating boredom other than doing dumb stuff on phone/internet, let me know -_-.

Reading. And maybe some more reading ;) 

6 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Doodling. I keep a lab notebook for my job because (1) I'm a note taker (2) I MUST write down all the things, but also it gives me a place to scribble. In a boring meeting who's to know that I'm actually writing down the different gear ratio and gear inch calculations for all the gear ranges I have on my bicycles? Or drawing? Instead of ingesting information or noise, I'm creating a little bit.

Not a bad idea either. 

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I love this challenge! I hope you feel great after spending time away from your phone

Thanks! To be honest, I'll probably still be on my phone enough when the kids aren't around x) though maybe it will help reduce that too, that would be nice. I do have better things to do! 

Wednesday 

Had a good morning with the kids, kept my phone away except for an actual phone call. Work in the afternoon/evening was good. Did my training before classes started, actually was excited to get started today!- which definitely had something to do with sleeping 7 hours without interruptions for a change x) 

Havent started on my bujo reflections yet, if I don't do that before the end of this week I'll have to make a more strict plan for it. 

Also while I've been thinking about my daily highlights and things to be grateful for I havent written them down, so I'll just do it here today;

Spoiler

This morning Jaap woke up me and the 2yo to say goodbye (leaving for work) and then the 6yo joined us for morning snuggles. We stayed in bed for quite a bit just cuddling and listening to some Christmas music and then the 6yo decided she'd make us porridge for breakfast. Both kids went downstairs while I just lounged in bed for a bit longer (on my phone because the kids weren't there anymore, heh) which was nice too. I heard them having a fight downstairs and then making up ❤️ The porridge ended up being burned to the pot on the bottom but still edible so it wasn't a big deal  :)

I picked up a book to help me stay away from the phone, didn't get to read much more than two pages because as soon as I sat down the kids climbed all over me, which I really didn't mind. 

If you want to watch me semi-die in 12 minutes, here's a video; 

Goodnight!

• Like 2

Woot for setting a good example of limited phone usage for the kids! They really do pay attention to what you do more than what you say, so this is a big deal.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 11/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, KB Girl said:

I was on my phone a couple of times before I was even consciously aware of it, mostly put it away again quickly.

It sidles up sneakily and surprises one.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, KB Girl said:

Also left it on the charger for a bit, which helped but really made me physically uncomfortable- which says enough; that this challenge is a great idea.

Definitely a sign.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 11/29/2022 at 3:38 PM, KB Girl said:

If it helps, creator of the BuJo method Ryder Carroll recommends starting a new journal every year, regardless of where you are in the previous journal. I think his reasoning is more about being about to find things when you refer back to your old journals, but I think a fresh start is great reason too! :)

I love both of your goals this challenge. The phone thing is SO hard and very relatable! You are wise to recognize the impact its having and taking action. Thank you for inspiring me to do the same. ❤️

• Like 1

EPIC Quest (under construction)

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Woot for setting a good example of limited phone usage for the kids! They really do pay attention to what you do more than what you say, so this is a big deal.

Thanks! it really is.. every 'bad' thing I do I get reflected right back at me x) 

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I watched the beginning and the end of the video, you worked really hard. Well done.

That's more than I expected! Thank you :) 

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

It sidles up sneakily and surprises one.

Definitely a sign.

It does.. such a strong habit hm. If only we could create habits like that by will! 

3 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

If it helps, creator of the BuJo method Ryder Carroll recommends starting a new journal every year, regardless of where you are in the previous journal. I think his reasoning is more about being about to find things when you refer back to your old journals, but I think a fresh start is great reason too! :)

I love both of your goals this challenge. The phone thing is SO hard and very relatable! You are wise to recognize the impact its having and taking action. Thank you for inspiring me to do the same. ❤️

That does help :)

Good to see you! 

• Like 1

Thursday

I was not very successful today. Woke up grumpy, managed to turn that around, then something happened to make me grumpy again, that happened like 4 times and then I just gave up and crawled into my phone. Had a short nap in the late afternoon which improved things a bit, then cooked dinner before going to work. It's not my usual workday, but Jaap is feeling sick (which was one of the reasons for returned grumpiness because we had a nice day planned and also I really did not want to go to work). But I am here now and it is fine and I got myself some chocolate and in 2 hours I can go home and go to sleep and have a better day tomorrow. If I don't get sick too x) 

• Like 5