Sovalis: Lagom

Sovalis

Hi Everyone!

I have been reading today as a reward for finishing NaNo yesterday and I stumbled across my word for 2023 in this article: Lagom. It is Swedish, and means "just enough" as in the Goldilocks philosophy of things being "just right". This concept feels like exactly what I need right now and I am glad that I crossed paths with it while I was in an open-hearted mentality.

My goals for this mini challenge are "just enough"

• Movement: Aiming for 15-30 minutes of moving around a day. This can be cleaning, Supernatural, walking, dancing, pacing, anything as long as I am not sitting.  
  • Food: Aiming for 2-3 meals a day, or two meals and a snack. Giving up on breakfast for now because it just doesn't seem to be working. 
  • Plants: Aiming for a decent sized portion of non-starch plant foods in two meals a day. 
  • Creativity: Aiming for 30+ minutes of creative work a day. This can be continuing Halcyon, prepping D&D, painting minis, working with my new Tarot, starting up a new journal/sketchbook, baking, etc, as long as I am creating something. 
  • Expansion: Looking for other jobs as they come up in the job search database and applying to the ones I am interested in. 
  • Luxury: It is the holidays! So there will be lovely food and drink, movies, hot baths, good music, time with friends... all the celebratory things. But I need to be sure that I am having just enough and not too much of the delicious, sedentary, or social. 

My Gramparents are coming up to see us and the house either December 11th or December 18th and then my Parents will come up after Christmas for two days. I want the house to be presentable and to have some baking done that I can share. I need to make and action plans for those things to happen. I also would like to get my holiday cards sorted out sooner rather than later. 

I think that is it! Looking forward to celebrating the season with you! Let me know if you want a card!

❤️

• Like 8
  • That's Metal 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A very Lagom Challenge to you.

Maximum moderation, extreme balance, and an embarrassment of just-rightness.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Hi Everyone! 

18 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Ooooh, very nice. :)

If you want your baking to make the house smell like honey, I'll send you the honey cake recipe I made for Hobbit day. ;)

Oh, yes, please, Maerad! I am always up for recipes! :D 

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Maximum moderation, extreme balance, and an embarrassment of just-rightness.

This sounds so perfect. ❤️ I particularly love the use of “embarrassment” in contexts other than mortification. Seems like an important reclaiming of the word.   

I am delighted by everyone’s enthusiasm, it makes my day so much brighter. :D 

Today has been alright so far. I was awake early as Dave had to be at work for 7 this morning for a teleconference, so I woke up when his alarm went off but fought getting up until my usual time. He made coffee before he left so I had a leisurely morning before getting ready for work. I am trying to be very conscious of these slow mornings because if I get a new job I won’t have them any more, so I want to be sure I am appreciating them. I played with Sax in the yard for ~15 minutes, maybe a bit longer. It was chilly but not super cold. A little wind was what made the difference, without that I think it would have been lovely. Dave came to drive me to work, the sidewalks at the shop were cleared, and all I had to do this morning was go to the bank to do my deposit. I stopped off at The Flower Cart on my way back to the shop to admire their Christmas trees and that was a little visual and olfactory feast (whatever candle they are burning in there is just lovely).

When I arrived back at the shop I checked my Fitbit and have 26 active minutes already today. That feels pretty good. I have a pork sausage with roasted potatoes and sautéed cabbage, leeks and green apple for lunch today as I didn’t get to have it for dinner last nigh. Seems like a cheap and easy dish to make in batches so maybe I will pick up some sausages and cabbage next time I get groceries and do that up for lunches. I have ravioli and soup for the next two days which covers me until after payday. Hopefully my cheque comes through this time. I’ve defrosted some lean ground beef that we had in the freezer and am thinking of making a taco flavoured frittata with it, maybe that will inspire me to breakfast a bit. If not, it will make a good snack. 

I ordered a new dot grid notebook/sketchbook and am looking forward to that. I drew my first card from my new Tarot deck yesterday and it was the Wheel of Fortune, which feels incredibly apt for the moment. It makes me think about the job applications I am putting out there and the little, incremental steps I am taking toward my goals. The accompanying guidebook says the question the Wheel asks is “Are you playing roulette with your future, or are you making conscious positive choices?” and that feels just right.

20221128_160448.thumb.jpg.7640bca071f8d072625972c8364bb698.jpg

I did some drawing last night at the shop. I think I will cut these out of this book and glue them into my new book when it arrives.

received_3063056593984479.jpeg.300568692998ffdf78638140d2065574.jpeg

That is my update for now. I hope you are all safe and warm and winning! ❤️ 

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Oh, yes, please, Maerad! I am always up for recipes! :D 

http://www.geekychef.com/2012/12/beorns-honey-cake.html?m=0

Here's where I found the instructions. It is a very dense but reasonably small cake. I cut it into 16 pieces and they were satisfying despite being petite.

I stopped off at The Flower Cart on my way back to the shop to admire their Christmas trees and that was a little visual and olfactory feast (whatever candle they are burning in there is just lovely).

That sounds lovely 😍

I drew my first card from my new Tarot deck yesterday and it was the Wheel of Fortune, which feels incredibly apt for the moment. It makes me think about the job applications I am putting out there and the little, incremental steps I am taking toward my goals. The accompanying guidebook says the question the Wheel asks is “Are you playing roulette with your future, or are you making conscious positive choices?” and that feels just right.

20221128_160448.thumb.jpg.7640bca071f8d072625972c8364bb698.jpg

Ooh! What an appropriate card!

Are you drawing them daily or less frequently than that?

I did some drawing last night at the shop. I think I will cut these out of this book and glue them into my new book when it arrives.

received_3063056593984479.jpeg.300568692998ffdf78638140d2065574.jpeg

That is my update for now. I hope you are all safe and warm and winning! ❤️ 

Ooh, pretty! 😃

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

Hi Everyone! :D 

21 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

http://www.geekychef.com/2012/12/beorns-honey-cake.html?m=0

Here's where I found the instructions. It is a very dense but reasonably small cake. I cut it into 16 pieces and they were satisfying despite being petite.

Thank you so much for this. I will post pictures when I make it! 

21 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Ooh! What an appropriate card!

Are you drawing them daily or less frequently than that?

So far I am drawing one daily although I am not sure how long I will do that for. I usually only draw cards when I feel a pull to, rather than all the time. I always do a read for the year though, that was a tradition that B and I established when we were both going through our divorces. It’s one of my few annual traditions. 

20221130_103456.thumb.jpg.c52bd05c3e727ff9ef2fb5d86a3c6fa2.jpg

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Sov!

GORGEOUS drawing :D thanks for sharing with us. 

oooh your lunch sounds delish mmmmmmmmm i might get some cabbage today. 

Hope you are alright and give Sax a kiss from me and Bronze xx

Hi Sal! Thank you so much! I might post more drawings, it’s a bit tough, feeling some imposter syndrome so know I need to spend more time with a pen because that’s the only cure. Even if I am not good, in my head I am legitimate because I am doing the thing (writing, drawing, baking, moving, whatever the thing of the moment is). I am doing okay and Sax has been well kissed. ;) Hope you are having a good day today! 

20221130_095726.thumb.jpg.17cce4c13eb5aa78838d9ed07c24b229.jpg

Saxon and Jeff. 

2 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Oh hai! Excellent goals for the festive season!

Hi Silmarilliane! So nice to see you!

I had such a great day yesterday. The shop did good sales, I ate my good lunch and then went out for supper and had turkey supper, my friend and former roommate Ian and his brother Jeff spent the night as they were driving through. I also had a good morning this morning: had a call with a film documentary producer about fantasy map making which was very interesting, visited with Ian and Jeff a bit, played with Sax, came to work, got word that the job I applied to most recently as at least looked at my application, so that is something. It is snowing and windy today so not so much fun to be outside, but my hands aren’t giving me too much grief so that is a relief. My card this morning was the Six of Cups and it feels good, too. My new notebook/sketchbook shipped, so hopefully it arrives soon and is amazing as all the reviews say it is. 

20221129_204724.thumb.jpg.85bcb5af9b7064035c9f8830235c48f3.jpg

Ian and I. 

I bought myself a coffee and peanut butter square from Jack’s. The coffee was sugar free, but the square wasn’t the most responsible decision. Delicious though! I brought some tea to the shop so I am less tempted to go to Jack’s. Having the extra warm things to drink through the day is a very good thing. Still no update about the treadmill. I did get just over 3500 steps yesterday which isn’t awful considering I was just puttering for most of the day. My Fitbit says I got 66 active minutes yesterday which seems impossible. I wonder what its metric is… I will have to do some pacing in the store to bump my steps up today. Hosting Paint Night tonight at the house, have to paint a Lamia (think of a female centaur, but with the body of a lion instead of a horse) for my players to face this weekend. 

20221127_115524.thumb.jpg.c00e1069188db1209bae4b1f01f5ffd1.jpg

I think that is about all for now. I just want to keep writing and hanging out here as an antidote to all of the snow and cold. This forum always gives me cozy feelings. I am so grateful for this space and everyone in it. 

Hope you are comfy and safe today! Thanks for being here! ❤️ 

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 3

Oh Friends, I just found out that Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac just passed away after a short illness. I’ll be over here being sad. 😢

• Sad 6

Hi Everyone!

So the call with the documentary film maker was fun. He wants to make a film about the intersections between fantasy cartography and real life and it sounds really interesting. I didn’t get the impression that he wants to film me specifically, although he didn’t say he didn’t, but more that he wanted resources for his project which I have in spades. I am an admin of the largest Fantasy Map and Worldbuilding group on Facebook and pretty well known in the relatively small fantasy cartography community. So I loaded him with names and told him I was excited to see all of this come about. He is sending me a syllabus on fantasy maps in literature from a University in Scotland (I don’t remember which one right now, my apologies) so that is also exciting. I look forward to seeing if I can track down their sources. I expect this documentary may take a few years to come to fruition as it is a passion project, but I think it will be quite amazing when it does. He’s already got permission from Oxford to film their map collection which is very extensive and houses the original Tolkien maps, the Narnia map, the 100 Acre Wood map… so many wonderful pieces. He seems like a genuine and likeable fellow, which is also excellent. I wish him very well. 

Paint night last night was enjoyable. I started working on my Lamia and Martin started painting an Eye of the Deep. Dave puttered and Les read books. It was nice to hang out together. Dave and I also watched the first two episodes of Willow and I am liking it quite a bit so far. Production value is very high and the writing seems tight. Hopefully it keeps going in good order. Dave wanted to order out for supper last night as he’d had a stressful day, so we had Boston Pizza. I ordered a salad so I got some veggies in. I ate as much as I could but it was a huge salad. I left the remainders in the bowl on the low coffee table and Sax must have helped himself when I wasn’t looking because it was empty when I came back. I certainly wasn’t expecting him to eat lettuce in ranch dressing, but now we know! Funny boy. 

Got up a bit early this morning and puttered around. It’s -26C here with a windchill that feels like -32C. It’s very, very cold. I ended up spending quite a bit of time outside this morning which wasn’t ideal, but I am doing okay. First Sax wanted to play, but I only had him out for ~10 minutes because it was so cold I didn’t want to damage him, then I had to wait for Dave to come get me (on the driveway because Sax is particular about how I leave the house), then I had to shovel the front of the shop because the sidewalks weren’t done again. Thankfully I’d had the presence of mind to layer mittens over my gloves and bundle right up or the shovelling would have truly sucked. There was ~4” of powder so it didn’t take overly long to do it, but it was still ~15 minutes or so. My hands are a little cranky now, but not as bad as they would have been if I hadn’t thought to bring my mittens, too. My FitBit says I have 18 active minutes so far today and I believe it.

I got a call this morning that our treadmill is being delivered tomorrow! So that is exciting. And Dave texted after I got to work to let me know that our snowblower has arrived and is now in the garage. He starts Christmas leave tomorrow, so he says he will assemble it and do the driveway tomorrow. I am grateful that he can do these things and will have to get a lesson in how to use it so I can do the things while he is gone. We got word that he will be home for only a week instead of three between JTRC and ICE which isn’t ideal, so I need to be prepared for the house maintenance because he’s functionally not home until April. Thank goodness the dishwasher and garage door are fixed and the snowblower has arrived. I feel more prepared this time around. 

As of right now I haven’t gotten paid, but it should have been yesterday or last night. I will give it until tomorrow before I say anything if it hasn’t come through again. Here’s hoping it’s not a problem this time around. 

Off to read things! Thanks for being here! ❤️ Sax for tax! 20221130_211655.thumb.jpg.17cab81ce1cb5199b7cdd5cdb20567be.jpg

20221130_210846.thumb.jpg.1ce70b74e6889962eeb59f3796fa90fa.jpg

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

46 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

So the call with the documentary film maker was fun. He wants to make a film about the intersections between fantasy cartography and real life and it sounds really interesting. I didn’t get the impression that he wants to film me specifically, although he didn’t say he didn’t, but more that he wanted resources for his project which I have in spades. I am an admin of the largest Fantasy Map and Worldbuilding group on Facebook and pretty well known in the relatively small fantasy cartography community. So I loaded him with names and told him I was excited to see all of this come about. He is sending me a syllabus on fantasy maps in literature from a University in Scotland (I don’t remember which one right now, my apologies) so that is also exciting. I look forward to seeing if I can track down their sources. I expect this documentary may take a few years to come to fruition as it is a passion project, but I think it will be quite amazing when it does. He’s already got permission from Oxford to film their map collection which is very extensive and houses the original Tolkien maps, the Narnia map, the 100 Acre Wood map… so many wonderful pieces. He seems like a genuine and likeable fellow, which is also excellent. I wish him very well. 

1. That's awesome

2. You're what?! YOU'RE AWESOME!!! An Admin for Fantasy Map and Worldbuilding!? So awesome!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

On 11/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, Sovalis said:

It was chilly but not super cold. A little wind was what made the difference, without that I think it would have been lovely

What I said today lol 

Your drawing is amazing and you should definitely share more! :) I love seeing peoples art. 

SAX TAX IS THE BEST :D The boy likes ranch lol

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

it is a passion project, but I think it will be quite amazing when it does. He’s already got permission from Oxford to film their map collection which is very extensive and houses the original Tolkien maps, the Narnia map, the 100 Acre Wood map… so many wonderful pieces

This all sounds amazing!  So cool that you are a part of the project, even if it doesn't end up being direct involvement.  

I got a call this morning that our treadmill is being delivered tomorrow!

🥳

I haven’t gotten paid

Again? 😠  Dude expects you to shovel snow til your hands hurt, least he could do is pay you for it. 

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

On 11/29/2022 at 8:42 PM, Sovalis said:

This sounds so perfect. ❤️ I particularly love the use of “embarrassment” in contexts other than mortification. Seems like an important reclaiming of the word.   

😁

On 11/29/2022 at 8:42 PM, Sovalis said:

Lovely! Very pleasing.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, Sovalis said:

Hi Sal! Thank you so much! I might post more drawings, it’s a bit tough, feeling some imposter syndrome so know I need to spend more time with a pen because that’s the only cure. Even if I am not good, in my head I am legitimate because I am doing the thing (writing, drawing, baking, moving, whatever the thing of the moment is).

Unless you claim to be perfection already, then you cannot impose and there is nothing to defend. If you are here to build a practice, then any drawing is good. And no doubt they will sometimes be nice to look at, too, as your illustration above was!

had a call with a film documentary producer about fantasy map making which was very interesting

Oh wow. It's so cool that there are actual experts on fantasy maps.

I think that is about all for now. I just want to keep writing and hanging out here as an antidote to all of the snow and cold. This forum always gives me cozy feelings. I am so grateful for this space and everyone in it.

I have warm sweaters and a living breathing hot water bottle who makes it somewhat difficult to type. Cosiness is ours.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh wow. It's so cool that there are actual experts on fantasy maps.

Map making hasn't made it into my obsessions yet, but I'm intrigued enough by it that I did doodle one for the story I wrote. XD I'm definitely not an expert, but I'd love to listen in to the discussions they have to pick up tips.

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

So many good things this week!

Congratulations on getting a snow blower and a treadmill! We are going to look for a snow blower in the end-of-season sales this year. The city has plans to add sidewalks on our street which will nearly double our shoveling responsibilities.

I hope your boss comes through with your paycheck without you having to hound him. And that you get interviews at better places to work.

• Like 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Hi Everyone!

The treadmill has arrived! Luckily they were able to deliver it before I left for work because there is no way Dave could have gotten it into the house on his own. Even with the two of us it was a tricky business. And to top it off, it’s even colder today than it was yesterday (-29C with a windchill of -39C) so we had extra incentive to get it taken care of quickly. My hands are cranky now. Thankfully I didn’t have to shovel at the shop this morning. 

Sal, you can complain about the temperature all you want! It’s totally relative. I remember being in San Diego in November one year for a conference and it was +25C. I went to the zoo in a tshirt and was very warm the whole day (that’s a good summer day here) but in the evening people down there were in puffy coats and toques. It’s all what you are acclimated to. I always think of how different my experiences of 0C are through a year: in the fall it’s damn cold and I am grumpy about it, but in the spring it’s so balmy I am so excited to see it. The fact that I live in a place with an almost 80 degree spread of temperature in a year is a little surreal though. You need the right kind of clothes. And to be honest, even this morning I saw a young man in just a sweater outside. You can get away with it if you are just going from a car to a building, but I wouldn’t want to risk getting stuck somewhere so unprepared… I am turning into my parents though with the “Where’s your coat?” Thoughts. 😅

I ended up texting my boss last night to let him know the pay hadn’t dropped. He was very surprised, so clearly hadn’t checked for it himself. He apologized and got on it right away which was nice. I should receive it tomorrow, he says. I hope that is the case. 

We don’t have sidewalks right now either, Mistr, and honestly, I am grateful for that because it means less winter maintenance for me to do while Dave is away. I hope you find a good blower for a great price! 

The app that I used to apply for the accounting job sent me an automated message saying the job had closed and if I hadn’t been contacted I wasn’t the successful applicant. It also said 72 people applied for that job. I can’t imagine! I live in a town of ~5000 people, that seems wild! I don’t envy being the one to go through so many resumes. I feel like there is a chance I might yet hear something as the posting closed on the 30th and how hard it must be to go through that many resumes in two days? I am feeling relaxed about it though, which is a good thing. No word yet on the other job I applied for, either, which is okay. 

I had a few more treats yesterday than I needed and I think I might write “Lagom” on the treats to help me be mindful. The mouth wants to celebrate, but it doesn’t need to party so often! I still have only had one binge since I joined the forums so I’d like to think that pattern of behaviour is settled, but if it’s going to rear its head it will do it in December with all the temptations around. I made soup last night for work lunches and bulked it up with the ground beef I’d defrosted as well has some diced cauliflower and carrot to get a bit more veg in. I was shocked at the cost of produce when we were at the store. I feel like I am saying that a lot, but yeah. Whoa. 😳

Looking forward to my walk tonight! :D 

Hope you are all warm and well. ❤️ Thanks for being here! 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1