Everstorm Re-Forged: Irons in the Fire

1 hour ago, MaeradCase said:

Perfect use of a lowered bar! Excellent way to get practice in at the level you're currently at! You are a super warrior!!! 🗡

I really did feel like a super warrior 😆 

• That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh, very impressive reflection intervention on the sugar!

I am really liking this approach because it is kind of empowering.  I never tell myself I can't have sugar, just that I might not need it as much as I think I do.  On another day with different reflections, I might give myself permission for that muffin, guilt-free.

15 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

Look at you go! That's FABULOUS work with your physical activity*and* using your questions! 🥳🎉

Thank you!

200w.gif.233006ace3cc8986b1663b622019e412.gif

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 1/3/2023 at 8:17 PM, Everstorm said:

I was so gassed halfway through that I was more than happy to chug a protein shake regardless of the flavor. 

Mid-morning workouts are my preference B) 

And maybe you've now unlocked the secret formula for stomaching protein shakes 🤣

• Haha 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Hexbane 

Class: Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment: School of the Wolf armor, Wolven steel sword & Deargdaith silver blade, adventurer's pack with alchemist's kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

My little nerd heart is very happy today!  I have been wanting to make a tracking chart to help me stay motivated as the fire stage progresses, just something simple to demonstrate visually how far I have come and how the countdown is dwindling.  Because it's me, I wanted it to be pretty, but I also knew that I didn't have the spoons to make something amazing by hand.

I decided to just use a stamp on my calendar journal to mark the days.  I have a few leaf-shaped rubber stamps I bought long ago for another project, and leaves are apropos, since part of my incentive to accomplish things this year is a milestone-esque birthday in the fall.  I didn't have an ink pad for them however, since I used them with acrylic paints.  Getting out paint to stamp everyday seemed more like an annoyance than a motivation.  I was debating the merits of melting a crayon to make a poor man's wax seal when I remembered something: I bought a Chinese calligraphy kit for a school unit we were doing last year, and it included the cutest ceramic pot of red ink paste for making seals.  It is the perfect size to press my stamps, no muss, no fuss.  Plus, It reminds me of The Emperor's Soul; anything Sanderson adjacent is naturally a winner.

20230106_140200.thumb.jpg.80c45bfb1279d716093417047e6a0358.jpg

20230106_142355.thumb.jpg.4781f923ddf982eb4acaadb8b2600d10.jpg

As a side note, I am realizing I can use the black ink from the kit if I want to attempt ink washes for Inktober 52....

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 1/4/2023 at 2:35 PM, Everstorm said:

(Although it turns out coffee is coffee in every language, more or less 😂)

In Welsh, it is coffi  - and one of the first sentences Welsh learners glom onto is Dw i'n hoffi coffi (I like coffee) :D 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, Everstorm said:

I can see it now:  I will own Anne of Green Gables in 8 different languages 😄 

New life goal: This^ (but with The Fall of the House of Usher

I have a Chinese calligraphy kit very similar to that one, and I've never done anything with it. Now I want to!!! 

• Like 3

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

4 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Love this! 🥰

Me, too!  I am glad I remembered that I had it.  We used it only once and it has been buried in a corner being wasted .

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

That's adorable!

Thanks 😁

4 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

"The Emperor's Soul" is one of my absolute favorites and I think your set it beautiful. Glad it can aid your task. ❤

It's one of his more obscure works, but well crafted.  This book was actually inspired by the tradition that the (Chinese?) Emperor would put his red seal on pieces of art that he liked.  Like right in the middle.  Some famous historical pieces are almost completely obscured by seals from multiple Emperors  🙈  Now I want to read it again....

55 minutes ago, Gemma said:

In Welsh, it is coffi  - and one of the first sentences Welsh learners glom onto is Dw i'n hoffi coffi (I like coffee) :D 

That's cool!  And now I know it too 😁

56 minutes ago, Gemma said:

New life goal: This^ (but with The Fall of the House of Usher

Oh, I just covered that story with my older son last semester.  I had never read it before.

58 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I have a Chinese calligraphy kit very similar to that one, and I've never done anything with it. Now I want to!!!

Yeah, I definitely want to use it more.  It's too cute to collect dust.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That's super cool!

Thank you 😊 

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That looks great :) 

Thanks!

Week 1 round up:

4/4 MAPs completed 🔥

93% movement snacks completed 🗡

100% dietary compliance🔥🔥

100% reflection when needed⚔️

Weight lost: 3.6lbs 🔥🗡🔥

I have been pretty damn successful at doing the thing and it shows.  Obviously, a fair portion of the weight loss is water weight from all the Christmas carbs, but I am quite pleased nonetheless. 

Observations: 

1) Moving isn't too hard most days, but I often forget/postpone doing hangs because it's inconvenient.  I may need to work on stacking that one or something to make it happen.  I had also hoped to include dance more regularly (although I didn't make a goal of it).  Not sure howuch I want to push on that point, though.  There are already a lot of moving parts.

2) Meal prep continues to be the lynch pin that makes this work.  I have major food anxiety when I don't know what I can eat (as proven by the episode this morning when my planned breakfast required milk and we were out).  And food anxiety tempts me to make bad choices (because they are simple).   I definitely need to be vigilant and proactive with buying and cooking meals that work for me.

d9ibnf1-e1eaab47-61d8-4aa3-9666-6e6f6cd45799.gif.ecda6909377cafa29175a384b93e715d.gif

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

2 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Good job both on the good completion scores for week 1 and for the open-eyed perspective on your strengths regarding food prep. 😃

Thank you thank you 😊   One week down, 4 to go

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Your compliance is inspiring! Way to go! 

I hear you about the food prep; I was prepped all week this week for breakfast and lunch and it made a big difference to my stress. 

It's a little absurd how I can go from stressed to sanguine ( and vice versa) entirely dependent upon food prep.  I used to think it was too annoying to bother with -- after all, I am at home all day; I can cook whatever I want whenever I want it, right? Right?!? 

minions-john-ehh-no-ujxmnq9h5b38hq59.gif.74438853eaf9bd7a46466ae708cc09ca.gif

I need to prep.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 1/4/2023 at 4:28 PM, Everstorm said:

had not seen it, but it was super interesting.   Itade me even more interested in PrismaText, which is a language learning app where you read novels with keywords in the target language among mostly English text.  So you pick up the foreign word meanings through context clues. 

Interesting, installed it to check it out for maybe a Spanish refresher.... 

And wowza this challenge is borderline reading a fantasy novel to watch your ups and downs. A nice motivator glad to have been caught up to watch you blast that iron to your dreams!

• Like 1

Larger than Average Fairy Druid Level 1

10 STR / 8 DEX / 10 CON / 13 INT / 13 WIS / 17 CHA

(DnD Stats)

3 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

And wowza this challenge is borderline reading a fantasy novel to watch your ups and downs.

How is this for a plot twist?  My throat feels a little scratchy.... 😩 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I like that you did an end of week reflection to make sure things are on track. I must remember to do that, too.

Oh no, I hope the scratch is a temporary nothing soon to dissipate!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

10 hours ago, Everstorm said:

How is this for a plot twist?  My throat feels a little scratchy.... 😩 

Do you have a health potion or a go to routine when your immune system had been hit with an HP reducer? 

You got this even with the extra TLC

Larger than Average Fairy Druid Level 1

10 STR / 8 DEX / 10 CON / 13 INT / 13 WIS / 17 CHA

(DnD Stats)

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I like that you did an end of week reflection to make sure things are on track. I must remember to do that, too.

Oh no, I hope the scratch is a temporary nothing soon to dissipate!

It's still sore this morning, and my lymph nodes are tender to the touch.  I otherwise feel okay, though.  Hopefully with rest and fluids I can head this one off at the pass.

2 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Do you have a health potion or a go to routine when your immune system had been hit with an HP reducer? 

You got this even with the extra TLC

Mostly rest, chicken soup, and -- if my mother intervenes -- essential oils.  Fortunately,  today is a scheduled rest day and I made chicken soup as part of my food prep, because flu season 🤪

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 1/4/2023 at 4:28 PM, Everstorm said:

👀  I would certainly love to know how one does this

I know it's a slow response, but the answer from my program so far seems to be two-fold: improve your proficiency in each language (the stronger your proficiency is, the less likely you are to default to other options) and work on translator skills? Not doing translations, but the act of being a translator/interpreter. Honestly I'm not sure exactly what they meant by this, but the professor I was talking to said they can help me with some skills "usually taught in translating and interpreting programs that help you get used to switching languages quickly and fluidly". I will let you know more once I learn exactly what skills they meant!

Hope you feel better soon!!

• Like 2

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Relentless Charge Into 2023

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.