WhiteGhost's Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland

Vault Door Opening - Fallout GIF - Fallout Vault Door Vault111 - Discover &  Share GIFs

The world outside is chaos.  Having been living in the apocalypse bunker for the last 3 years, it is now time to open up the doors and go explore the new changed landscape. 

The first real mission for the challenge is going to be to get out of the city.  Some prep work will be required on the tutorial levels first to make sure we are ready and the mission doesn't get aborted.

Tutorial Phase

The goal for this pre-mission phase is to not get sick.  Ghostlet is pretty much over covid and so far Ghostess and I have not gotten it.  She is in her office every day now and pretty much all of her coworkers have been out with covid in the last month.  She is the only one there now who hasn't gotten it so her vigilance level is high to not get sick before our Chinese New Year trip.  For me that means continuing to drink plenty of liquids, disinfect the house daily, wear a mask when Ghostess is here, and avoid unnecessary exposure.  I am also going to still be under plague protocols so I will avoid going hungry and limit exercise to try and maximize immune system strength 

While in the tutorial stage, only limited ventures outside the bunker will be undertaken.  A few things need to happen:

1.  I need to go to the Entry-Exit Bureau and pick up Ghostlet's passport

2.  I need to get his new visa registered with the police

3.  I need to check our church building and make sure everything is in working order as we return to in-person meetings

4. Other as-yet-unidentified errands as required

Phase 1

Phase one starts on Sometime in the next 3 weeks.  Ghostlet finishes his final exams on Dec 29 and Chinese New Year is on Jan 22.  Sometime between those two dates, we will travel to Sanya to spend CNY with the in-laws.  I expect we will probably be leaving around the 15th or so but it all depends on ghostess's work schedule

Phase 2

This is where things try and get back to normal.  The first wave has already crested here and so by the time we get back from Sanya (probably around the end of January) things should already be mostly back to normal.  Pretty much everyone who is going to get it will have had it and so it is going to be about maintaining that new normal. for me that means:

1. going back to the park to work out

2.  Going back to in-person church

3. Ghostess back in the office regularly

4. Ghostlet back in in-person school (probably - we still don't have any official word on this yet)

5. Running around trying to figure out where Ghostlet will do high school

Assuming things go as anticipated, this will mean that the city will continue to experience some follow on waves as re-infection occurs, but I am cautiously optimistic that because we pretty much had everyone exposed at the same time, the waves should be more spread out that we have seen in other places.  Maybe even reduced to just seasonal episodes like the cold & flu.  

So, with that in mind I expect phase two will consist of level up several key attributes

1.Athletics.   I have not been doing much strength training (or any training) over the holidays so I expect a lot of skills have regressed.  Add this to my injuries from last year and almost all of my skill have regressed.  Not a problem, but I just need to reconfigure my base start point and go from there.  I will still be focusing on two specific areas: calisthenics and gymnastics.  Or I may regress even a little further and work on basic related strength exercises.  I will assess at the beginning of phase two and make a plan at that point

2. Health.  I have gained a fair bit of weight over this chaotic holiday season, but that's what it took to get through.  So be it.  Now I need to

work on getting that back to a healthy body composition by reducing calories and introducing cardio to my workout plan

3. Charisma.  I have enjoyed getting back into regular piano practice and have learned a bunch of songs.  I have not yet decided if this challenge will be learning some new songs or going to older songs that I started but then abandoned.  At any rate piano practice will happen.  Probably keep up on the songs I learned for the ukulele as well

4. Spirituality.  Our church doesn't have a designated person to give the sermon each week and it is usually done one a rotating basis by invitation, so that most of the members have a chance to give the sermon regularly.  It is my responsibility to make those assignments for the next 3 months and so I need to make sure I get the assignments out in time for people to prepare.  This is my least favorite thing to do and so I tend to procrastinate.  Hopefully putting it here will help remind me to get it done in a timely manner.

5.  Leisure.  I will very likely finish up Assassin's Creed Unity before we leave for Sanya,  When I get back I will start on AC Syndicate, the last major AC release that I haven't played yet.  Also, I got a gaming laptop for Christmas (hasn't come yet because the entire supply chain got covid last month) but when it comes I will get it set up so that I can play Skyrim with all the mods I want instead of just limiting it to the 5G that the xbox allows.

And now it is time to break the airlock, roll back the saftey door and venture out into this new post-apocalyptic wasteland and explore

• Like 13
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Fingers crossed for a smooth progress to your trip!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger:  Volume One: Wintering

Winter Goals: Read by candlelight 10 times (5/10), Read The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1 and Book 2, Re-read The Fellowship of the Ring (in progress), The Two Towers and The Return of the King, Watch all 3 Hobbit films (1/3), Watch all 3 LOTR films (1/3), See doc about leg pain (in progress), see doc about sinuses, Be able to run 1 mile without pain, finish knitting cardigan, repair jeans, plan and sew one project to completion, Finish Masters chapter 2, Read stock book, Plan Spring/Summer Adventures 2023, Start writing again, Reach at least 77kg by March 20.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

Kimmy Schmidt coming out of bunker on Make a GIF

Welcome to the apocalypse.

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 12/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad you're getting the opportunity to be somewhere other than where you've been the last three years.

To be fair, the last 3 years in the bunker haven't been altogether bad.  Just very different.

On 12/27/2022 at 2:56 PM, deftona said:

Following you around this wasteland of yours

The company is appreciated

22 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Fingers crossed for a smooth progress to your trip!

Thanks, let's hope so

7 hours ago, Shello said:

Kimmy Schmidt coming out of bunker on Make a GIF

Welcome to the apocalypse.

Now to see just how apocalyptic is going to get

-------------------------------------------

Yesterday I did very little beyond playing Unity.  I am almost done with most of the single player stuff so it won't be long before I can move on to Syndicate.

As expected, this wave is starting to take its toll, with a large swath of the elderly population and those with other pre-existing conditions bearing the brunt of it.  At this point all of the hospitals are full and people are dying faster than can be cremated.  On the other hand, the vast majority of the population seems to be getting through this mostly unscathed, and with the speed that it has swept through pretty much everyone who was going to get it had had it and the wave will probably pass quickly.  There is a concern about new variants coming out of this, but so far we haven't seen much of that.

Edit:  I remembered that I did in fact do some things yesterday.  I stopped off at our church building to fix the microphone which someone had disconnected in the last year and half we haven't been using the building.  It took a while to figure out the problem, but relatively easy to solve once the problem was identified.    After I finished at the church I stopped by the Entry Exit Bureau to pick up Ghostlet's new visa.  Because of covid, they have set up a new way to register the new visa through an app, but they don't give me any kind of receipt notification, so I worry that it won't be recognized and we will get into trouble again.  I may stop by the oolice station sometime this week and just check it. 

• Like 9

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Yesterday was another Ghostess productivity day.  She stayed home from work because she was going to get her vaccine booster and then run around and do a few errands.  That was the plan, anyway, in the morning our contracter called and said he could come over and help us fix up the list of things broken before he leaves home for CNY.  We of course jumped on this and changed our plans.  he was here for a bit in the morning replacing some wiring (we now have a light in our bathroom! :) ) and replacing some caulking.  After he left, Ghostess decided to go through her wardrobe and clear out all of the summer clothes and box them up and get out the rest of her winter clothes.  

In the evening I made tacos for dinner and then finished up Unity.  I still have the Dead Kings DLC but once that is done I will be ready to move on to Syndicate

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

Hope your escape from the bunker goes smoothly mate - sounds like it's been productive so far.

Level 18 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 12  -  CON: 10  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 7  -  INT: 11

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Bringing the party together

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

On 12/29/2022 at 8:50 PM, Jarric said:

Hope your escape from the bunker goes smoothly mate - sounds like it's been productive so far.

Thanks

------------------

Well, I figured it would come around sooner or later.  I have sheeped*  Yesterday evening I suddenly started feeling really bad and then spiked a fever.  It was a really miserable night but Ibuprofen really helps.  I expect I am going to be pretty out of it for a couple of days while my body works through this

* In China positive/negative for medical tests is represented by Yin/Yang (Yin being negative and Yang being pasitive).  Yang is is the same pronunciation as the word sheep so in the current internet slang here, people who are covid positive are called sheep.  With things the way they are here, asking someone if they sheeped is a common greeting on par with asking "what's up"

• Sad 9

Level 2 Ninja

Hope your symptoms are mild and pass quickly mate.

• Thanks 1

Level 18 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 12  -  CON: 10  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 7  -  INT: 11

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Bringing the party together

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

COVID can be woolly baaaaad (I'm sorry, I can't resist) but hopefully your case will be mild and pass quickly. Prayers for you to be back on your feet quickly and for this to grant you some extra immunity as you return to the post-apocalypse!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 49

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Well, I figured it would come around sooner or later.  I have sheeped*  Yesterday evening I suddenly started feeling really bad and then spiked a fever.  It was a really miserable night but Ibuprofen really helps.  I expect I am going to be pretty out of it for a couple of days while my body works through this

I hope you recover quickly and completely.

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

Sorry to hear about the sheeping, WG. Hope you bounce back to normal soon!

Sheep GIFs | Tenor

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger:  Volume One: Wintering

Winter Goals: Read by candlelight 10 times (5/10), Read The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1 and Book 2, Re-read The Fellowship of the Ring (in progress), The Two Towers and The Return of the King, Watch all 3 Hobbit films (1/3), Watch all 3 LOTR films (1/3), See doc about leg pain (in progress), see doc about sinuses, Be able to run 1 mile without pain, finish knitting cardigan, repair jeans, plan and sew one project to completion, Finish Masters chapter 2, Read stock book, Plan Spring/Summer Adventures 2023, Start writing again, Reach at least 77kg by March 20.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

Thanks guys, it has been a rough few days but I seem to be though the worst of it.  Symptoms have been all over the place.  Some of them pretty normal, for example a really bad headache for the first couple of days accompanied by a fever, lack of appetite, sore throat, etc. 

Some of them were really weird, though.  For example, the first time I tried to eat something (a tangerine in this case) I felt what I can only describe as the sensation in my mouth of a circuit breaking  by overloading a fuse and then ever since I have had no sensation at all (taste or feeling) on the right side of the roof of my mouth.  It feels like I have had a shot of Novocaine that hasn't had time to spread to the gums yet. 

Then the weirdest of all was the mental health stuff.  For the first two days as long as I was not actively focusing on thinking about something specific, my brain would default to imagining a specific scenario.  It was as if I was playing some kind of Assassin's Creed like game, in which I was in a 3 story house filled with NPCs and mytask was to kill one of them.  However, the game was bugged and so all of the NPCs were completely immobilized and tagged with ID numbers, with the target highlighted just a few feet from me.  If I went and killed them the scene just reloaded and I replayed this thing in my mind non-stop for 48 hours.  Even when I slept, this is what I dreamed.  It was like having a song stuck in my head but instead of a song it was a broken quest from a random video game.  Honestly the mental part of this has been far harder than any of the physical symptoms.

Needless to say, I have not accomplished much in the last few days beyond merely surviving.

• Wow 6

Level 2 Ninja

Welcome to the land of sheep.   I hope it doesn't knock you out for too long and the weird symptoms stay to a minimum.

Shaun The Sheep Yes GIF by Aardman Animations - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Man, that stuff is wild. Hang in there. Marathon something super innocent?

I liked this advice and spent a lot of yesterday binge watching highlight reels from Family Feud on Youtube

12 hours ago, sylph said:

That is probably the weirdest COVID symptom I've ever heard.

Congratulations?

I really wanted to use a specific gif here but apparently the reference is way too obscure and I couldn't find anything even close.  Insert here in your mind the airport scene from Mel Brooks' High Anxiety  where he beeps going through the metal detector:

What do I win? a Pinto???

11 hours ago, Shello said:

Welcome to the land of sheep.   I hope it doesn't knock you out for too long and the weird symptoms stay to a minimum.

I am pretty ready to be done with all of this already.

---------------------------------

As I mentioned, I spent a  good part of yesterday binge watching highlight reels from Family Feud yesterday and it was a nice relaxing way to waste a day.  The highlight of the day was of course after Ghostlet finished his homework, we sat down and watched Flat-Earther videos all evening and it was a riot.  I haven't had such a good laugh in a really long time.  I was really impressed with Ghostlet's meme finding skills because as I was finding videos to watch he was able to find all the best related memes.  

I also noticed another really weird covid symptom that I am struggling to wrap my head around.  So for the last 3 days I haven't eaten anything besides fruit.  For the first time yesterday I started eating normal foods again and apparently my taste buds have gone  the opposite of usual and have decided to make me a super taster for all the regions in my mouth that aren't the dead zone.  I made some chicken and leafy vegetable stir fry for dinner and Ghostlet said it tasted just like normal (which makes sense as I always make it the same way).  For me, however, the salt from the soy sauce was so overpowering that I could barely eat it, and the bitterness from the vegetables made it even worse.  I feel like my sensitivity to certain flavors  (salty, bitter, spicy) is now double or triple what it was before.  Fruit don't seem to have this effect so maybe I don't have the same sensitivity to that?  At some point I will have to try some non fruit sweet foods but for now I don't have any appetite for them.  Even my toothpaste seems to have changed.  before it was a nice refreshing spearmint flavor but now it is like cramming an entire box of altoids into my mouth.  All very annoying, really.

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The highlight of the day was of course after Ghostlet finished his homework, we sat down and watched Flat-Earther videos all evening and it was a riot.  I haven't had such a good laugh in a really long time.

Qbert likes to watch these too but I have such little patience for them.  I find them hard to watch and even harder still to give them my view so they can make money.