23 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

Starting is more than I've done with my walking the last few days. I rub my elbow on your and hope some of that magic wears off on me! 

I'm more than happy to share it! 

https://images.app.goo.gl/3UVDMXER9yy1Xjwr9

Out of curiosity, has pacing around the shop been a viable exercise snack? Or turning on irresistible songs that you can't help but dance to? I sometimes do push-ups against the counter when we've got no customers. And I love dancing when my jams come on. 😂 My coworkers look at me funny, but maybe they're jealous that I don't care what they think because at least I'm doing something.

Regardless, I hope you find the satisfaction in starting a walk, without allowing any room for judgment of how long the walk was. If getting it started is the hardest part (relatable), celebrate getting it started. Big results can also be celebrated. I didn't have any big results this week, but there's another two weeks this challenge which is room enough to keep making progress. ❤

• Like 3

Hey guys

I am glad I got my call with @Rhovaniel on Saturday. It improved my Saturday after a half-day of work and had me in such a good head space that I was able to face an unexpected challenge. My dad went to the hospital Saturday afternoon, and after 36 hours he died. 

I did a single set of reps this morning so that I would have some feeling of productivity and satisfaction of doing a thing. I did 4.5 miles of walking around the hospital over the last two days. I got my second bite of the quilt done, and have the two bites ready to pin together and sew. I finished reading Uprooted, too. So bonus points on Ranger, Artificer, and Wizard goals over the weekend. 

Thanks for being here.

Maerad

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I am so sorry for your loss, Maerad. I hope you're doing as well as you can be. 

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger:  Volume One: Wintering

Winter Goals: Read by candlelight 10 times (5/10), Read The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1 and Book 2, Re-read The Fellowship of the Ring (in progress), The Two Towers and The Return of the King, Watch all 3 Hobbit films (1/3), Watch all 3 LOTR films (1/3), See doc about leg pain (in progress), see doc about sinuses, Be able to run 1 mile without pain, finish knitting cardigan, repair jeans, plan and sew one project to completion, Finish Masters chapter 2, Read stock book, Plan Spring/Summer Adventures 2023, Start writing again, Reach at least 77kg by March 20.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

9 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

I am so sorry for your loss, Maerad. I hope you're doing as well as you can be. 

It was very out of the blue so all of us are still kind of too shocked to be grieving in full blast tears. We're all doing our best to hold each other up, and are very much relieved that my parents' church has been an active help in the situation.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. 

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So sorry Maerad.

Thanks, guys.

I did foot stretches and hip stretches this morning.

Might try doing quilt sewing since I keep getting closer to the next phase.

Also feel like it'd be weird to ask people to think about my book and not my dad, so not anticipating any progress on that for some time.

Weather has been snow coming down all morning so I think it's a good day to stay home.

That's all I can put into words at the moment. Thanks for being here.

Maerad

• Like 3

I'm sorry for your loss, Maerad. If it would be helpful as a distraction I'm totally willing to talk about your book. A friend of mine just lost her Mom and we talk about other stuff a lot. She says it helps. 

Sending you big hugs. I'll dig into your transcript a bit more tonight. ❤️

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Maerad. 

Im so sorry. I am here if you need to talk. My dad died quite suddenly in late 2020. 

Sending you so much love right now. Self care, bathe, relax, sleep, drink tea. Look after yourself my friend xx

Thank you, Sal.

I'm taking it easy, I have bathed in the last 48 hours, and will follow through with a sequel in the next 24 hours. 😅 I had a cup of Ghiradeli cocoa that I made with milk not water, and today has been pretty laid back.

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thank you, Elastigirl. :)

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I'm sorry for your loss, Maerad. If it would be helpful as a distraction I'm totally willing to talk about your book. A friend of mine just lost her Mom and we talk about other stuff a lot. She says it helps. 

Sending you big hugs. I'll dig into your transcript a bit more tonight. ❤️

Thanks, Sovalis. No rush on the reading, but if you want to make plans to discuss your thoughts on it this weekend, I think that would be a good distraction to look forward to. 

I don't remember when I sewed the two bites of quilt together into a quilt, but I think I managed that during the first part of a movie Cid chose. He turned on Departures, which was a beautiful movie about the people who honor the dead by preparing their bodies for funerals in the Japanese customs. It did make me cry, but it was beautiful. I wanted to watch The Farewell, too, but I prioritized lunch and more quilt progress.

I ironed the quilt chunk, cut out the backing and batting, pinned them together, and have sewn two of the sides. One was while on a call from a friend. In addition to recent events, we talked about what we've been up to, and I told her about my plans to get a bike now that I'm nearing a year's time consistently exercising. It was really good talking to her.

I have one more side to sew before I invert the pieces and pin it flat for the quilting to commence. Then it's quilting phase again. 😅 I wish it didn't take so long, but I brought it upon my self by sticking to doing it by hand.

Spoiler

I was talking to my mom about how in the last 14 chunks (I'm on the fourth of the middle six), I'd be using a dragon design to make Bahamut's seven great golden wyrms in the quilting. She mentioned that the detail of two of them might get lost in the dark colors of his feet.

Screenshots_2021-08-07-10-19-25.png.dabcc6b3289026bd8f2ef508ec3b490f.png

So I thought about it today, and I think by concentrating on the available white zones I can not only place them in such a way that they should all stand out against the white, but I'd also be able to plan to use the largest white space as a place to credit myself for the time spent making this monstrosity. 😅

1388880428_20230124_1428033.thumb.jpg.a4cb7a3b2c90b54d231434ce941b5843.jpg

It also gives me an idea of what size the seven of them should be limited to, in order to fit into a 3x6 grid of my 2 inch squares.

Anyway, thanks again for the support, you guys. I'll keep up here so that I can endure the waves of grief when they're buffeting me by holding to patterns and small goals that keep me moving forward. That being said, tomorrow is a barbarian day, and I don't intend to let you down. 😉

See you tomorrow!

Maerad

• Like 6
On 1/23/2023 at 10:06 PM, MaeradCase said:

It was very out of the blue so all of us are still kind of too shocked to be grieving in full blast tears. We're all doing our best to hold each other up, and are very much relieved that my parents' church has been an active help in the situation.

I get that. Grief comes in waves, and more so when death is unexpected. I'm so glad you have help. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:50 PM, MaeradCase said:

Also feel like it'd be weird to ask people to think about my book and not my dad, so not anticipating any progress on that for some time.

Everyone grieves differently, I think, and all forms are both valid and necessary. Some are more helpful than others. When my Grandfather died, I stopped eating for about a week. I mechanically ate a few things here and there if someone put food right in front of me, but I had no appetite. Then I just went into Work Mode and focused on studying. I did the same when my Grandma died a year later. You do you. Anyone judging you for that either doesn't understand grief, or you, nor does their opinion matter. I know we already discussed my notes, but I am here to talk should you want that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger:  Volume One: Wintering

Winter Goals: Read by candlelight 10 times (5/10), Read The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1 and Book 2, Re-read The Fellowship of the Ring (in progress), The Two Towers and The Return of the King, Watch all 3 Hobbit films (1/3), Watch all 3 LOTR films (1/3), See doc about leg pain (in progress), see doc about sinuses, Be able to run 1 mile without pain, finish knitting cardigan, repair jeans, plan and sew one project to completion, Finish Masters chapter 2, Read stock book, Plan Spring/Summer Adventures 2023, Start writing again, Reach at least 77kg by March 20.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

4 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Everyone grieves differently, I think, and all forms are both valid and necessary.

Anyone judging you for that either doesn't understand grief, or you, nor does their opinion matter.

That's pretty helpful. I think my main reasoning is that I know the sorrow will come and go, but that while everyone is actively trying to accommodate my family's needs, I don't have any at the moment that align with the aid they wish to give. My mom has the same issue. She doesn't need any food brought, but that's what people think of first. We had already warned her pastors that a meal train would have to be severely slowed down, but mom told them she didn't want it at all. (And yet today got inconvenienced with a full pot of noodle soup and a whole ham that she has no room for because they always have had a full fridge and freezer)

In the same way, I don't want the comments and emojis I'd get from Facebook from people who don't interact with me on the regular piping up their sympathy because I announced my loss. On the other hand, I've been reached out to by a handful of close friends privately because they'd heard, and wanted me to know I could reach out to them for any form of support, and that has been the best reassurance, more than the flood of overwhelming comments my mom is getting. I feel bolstered by my friends, and I appreciate this small group that keeps up with my challenges since joining the forums. You guys are really great. ❤

Week 4 Wednesday Report!

I woke up around 7, which was good because I go back to work tomorrow, but also bleh because Critical Role kept us up til midnight last night. I postponed my workout til 9, playing ACNL instead, but I finally put it down and did my two sets for 100%, but I did 10 reps in both, and I think I called that 110% before. My left shoulder is acting up. Doing the motion of push and pull, it seems to be the push motion that hurts. It also could be from my preference of sleeping on my left side - it's possible I might've slept wrong.

Took my shower when I was done. Played more ACNL. Did some computer stuff. Cid and I met up with my mom and sister for lunch. We got home and took a nap. I know now is a time to do something. I'm not feeling crafty, so maybe I'll do a 50% effort on my quilt. That's what the 50% emojis are for. XD So... Short segment of quilt side, maybe some music, and then good to play even more ACNL if I so choose. 😉

Thank you again for your support.

Sincerely,

Maerad

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MaeradCase said:

I'll do a 50% effort on my quilt. That's what the 50% emojis are for. XD So... Short segment of quilt side, maybe some music, and then good to play even more ACNL if I so choose. 😉

I ended up choosing to put on Whisper of the Heart (good movie for encouraging first-time writers), and sewed up the third side of my quilt chunk. I inverted it to right-side out, pinned the three sides' edges in place, and put it away while the movie finished up. :)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Totally understand my friend. 

It is very very difficult to navigate these early moments :(

I send all my love to you xx

On 1/20/2023 at 7:56 AM, MaeradCase said:

Week 3

Barbarian: 🌥🌩🌥

Ranger: 🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿+🌿+🌿

Wizard: 📖📖📚📖📋+📖

Artificer: 🛠📏🔨🔨📏+🔨

Week 4

Barbarian: 🌥⚡

Ranger: 🌿🌿🌿🌱

Wizard: 📋📖📖

Artificer: 🔨🔧🔧

Let's get those emojis in, huh? 😅 I wasn't feeling up to anything, but I warmed up and did some foot stretches. Last night I played ACNH for the first time. I named my town Heliodor after the mineral, but it also sounds like a gateway toward healing. :) It's one of the best town names I've picked. 😅 I won't have time to play today because I've got to go back to work, and I have plans to make dinner for my mom (not bringing her food, but helping her use some of the supplies they have on hand). They had mutton in the fridge for our Chinese New Year plans, so we're making the dish you all know I love - actual shepherd's pie. 😂

Today feels like Monday after a distorted time dimension's weekend. Maybe I'll make it back out of this alternate universe to the one I was in on Friday? Hmmmm... Too dark. Anyway, we'll see how these next two days go. Looking forward to tortellini soup for lunch. :)

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Maerad

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Salinger said:

what's going on with the emojis?

I think there some sort of disconnect that happened partway into this challenge - 80% of the emojis I use (especially the ones I chose to use for my goals) now have a broken link next to them. I'm ignoring it because what can I do about it? 😅 But it has something to do with formatting is my guess.

• Like 1

Oh, I am *so* stoked for you to have started New Horizons. Let me know if you need or want bells or resources, I have lots I can share! No pressure though. I want you to play however you enjoy it the most. 

Did you see the announcement for the Mighty Nein animated show? I'm so hyped!!

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Oh, I am *so* stoked for you to have started New Horizons. Let me know if you need or want bells or resources, I have lots I can share! No pressure though. I want you to play however you enjoy it the most. 

I have so little experience playing co-op long-distance, but I would love to play ACNH with friends. ❤ I may need a few days to expand my inventory space, and develop familiarity with the settings. 😅

5 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Did you see the announcement for the Mighty Nein animated show? I'm so hyped!!

I did! I'm very excited! I'm also enjoying the second season of Legends of Vox Machina. 😍

Didn't exercise this morning. Snoozed and snuggled instead. Don't figure I'll be editing or crafting tonight since I have dinner with friends and very probably more time spent developing my island. 😅

I am not gonna beat myself up about that. Instead, I'm calling today a day of rest. There is room to make up for skipping exercise by doing them tomorrow, and I very well might make it a goal to do so just to avoid potentially spending a whole day playing Animal Crossing on the couch. 😅 In that line of thought, I might also take crafting and editing breaks from the game to hit those goals, too. I think that is within my power. :)

Either way, thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Maerad

• Like 2

Randomly checked my profile and found out this would be my 700th post. Neat.

Woke up at 6, put on exercise clothes, and then decided to postpone because Cid asked for more cuddles. Dozed off again. When I woke up he played a few videos for me he'd seen last night, and finally I got up and did two sets of 7-10. Calling it an even 100% effort. 

My shoulder really hates me. It's not just push up motion that hurts - it's all stretch and rotation motions. Ugh.

Gonna take an overdue shower, convince myself to postpone my Animal Crossing further by making a late breakfast, and do the vacuuming that has been ignored by both of us for at least a month. Then I'll be playing 'til lunch time. I went out with friends last night, and let them outnumber me on sushi instead of Italian, but I was really looking forward to all the delights of Olive Garden. Cid heard how upset I was about it, and suggested the two of us go today. :)

Anyway, just wanted to say I got 1 of 3 goals done. I may check back in later. Hope you all are doing well.

Sincerely,

Maerad

• Like 3