Yay for imperfect bullet journals! I'm working on embracing imperfection in mine as well. 

Grey Jedi Ranger

Rest and Recuperate: Jedi's Hero Journey Begins Again

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54

On 12/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, KB Girl said:

Side note; I'm also allowing myself two fun goals for 2023, one of which is to ride 5000km on my bike, which is an average of about 100km a week.

😍😍😍😍

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

While 5000km is a lot, I don't think it's too unrealistic? That might show my upbringing or environment though lol. I don't know how much "standard" kilometres you'll have if you do everything by bike, but between work, bringing your kids to your mom/daycare/etc and swimming lessons you're probably already halfway.

I love your spreads by the way :). Especially that bike is soooo pretty!

20 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Yay for imperfect bullet journals! I'm working on embracing imperfection in mine as well. 

Death to perfectionism! ;)

19 hours ago, Conquius said:

😍😍😍😍

Haha, thought you might like that! Will you be challenging this time around? 

15 hours ago, Waanie said:

While 5000km is a lot, I don't think it's too unrealistic? That might show my upbringing or environment though lol. I don't know how much "standard" kilometres you'll have if you do everything by bike, but between work, bringing your kids to your mom/daycare/etc and swimming lessons you're probably already halfway.

I love your spreads by the way :). Especially that bike is soooo pretty!

My standard comes in at around 70 and I'd need to average 100, so 30 extra every week is quite a lot. We'll see :)

And thanks! I'm really pleased with how the bike turned out. 

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

The bujo setup is very pleasing!

I thought so too! Which is a good thing because I'll be looking at it for a whole year! xD 

9 hours ago, Alanna said:

Happy new year! I hope you are enjoying the new house :)

Your organisation for your goals is really impressive! I love the bujo pages as well. 

Thanks Alanna! I am absolutely enjoying it a whole lot, there is also a whole lot of room left for improvement- lots of projects to complete still. How is yours? Looking forward to spring gardening? Will you be setting up a challenge? 

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Tuesday

Had work first and then my first workout of the year. Got in a post-baby-PR on my frontsquat of 3x55kg which is great but also hard because I used to clean&jerk that for sets of 3, but whatever, onwards and such. 

Made a meal plan, did the grocery shopping and went by the garden to get some Brussel sprouts and kale. 

Struggling with going to bed on time and figuring out how to shape/organise my bossy responsibilities. 

Ending on a positive note; I did read with the 6yo today, she has this book on animals and she barely let me read because she was so busy telling me everything she knows about the animals and it is absolutely crazy how much she knows :) Oh and did you guys know that a group of wombats is called a wisdom? I like that. Oh and their baby pouches are the other way around to prevent sand from getting in there while they dig their tunnels. And did you know that Orca's will kill great white sharks and then only eat the liver and leave the corpse to float around? Little big monsters those cute Orca's are. :P 

• Like 8

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

Or did you know that Orca's will kill great white sharks and then only eat the liver and leave the corpse to float around? Little big monsters those cute Orca's are. 

No.... um. Should we be worried about where your 6-year old might have learned this? :D 

• Haha 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

1 minute ago, Scaly Freak said:

No.... um. Should we be worried about where your 6-year old might have learned this? :D 

She listens to podcasts :) some really good ones too- I don't always pay attention so this was new to me, but no worries, I do know exactly what she listens to x) 

I'd share, but they're all dutch for now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

She listens to podcasts :) some really good ones too- I don't always pay attention so this was new to me, but no worries, I do know exactly what she listens to x) 

I'd share, but they're all dutch for now. 

Yeah, that was a completely tongue-in-cheek question. I figured it was either a podcast or YouTube. :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

6 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yeah, that was a completely tongue-in-cheek question. I figured it was either a podcast or YouTube. :) 

I know :) I actually think she's a bit too young for YouTube? definitely not unsupervised. Crazy place x) I assume there are many videos of orca's attacking sharks on there though. 

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh and their baby pouches are the other way around to prevent sand from getting in there while they dig their tunnels.

This is oddly fascinating to me.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Thanks Alanna! I am absolutely enjoying it a whole lot, there is also a whole lot of room left for improvement- lots of projects to complete still. How is yours? Looking forward to spring gardening? Will you be setting up a challenge? 

There is always so much to do with a new house! When I disappeared from my last challenge, I spent a good week tackling a lot of our garden, including replacing the gravel with grass - looking forward to planting veg in the beds this year. I need to make a schedule for when to plant everything. Glad you are enjoying your house, even if it is a bit hectic. 

Not sure if I'm challenging this time around - I'm not on top of my goal planning right now. 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

Wow, that's great how much your daughter has learned about animals. I knew that fact about Orcas.  Orcas live in waters near here. I love them, they are so huge and cool looking.  But, they  can also be monsters, and vicous predators.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ending on a positive note; I did read with the 6yo today, she has this book on animals and she barely let me read because she was so busy telling me everything she knows about the animals and it is absolutely crazy how much she knows :) Oh and did you guys know that a group of wombats is called a wisdom? I like that. Oh and their baby pouches are the other way around to prevent sand from getting in there while they dig their tunnels. And did you know that Orca's will kill great white sharks and then only eat the liver and leave the corpse to float around? Little big monsters those cute Orca's are. :P 

Most excellent! Does she also know that wombat poops are cube shaped? Yes, they are.

• Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

22 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

This is oddly fascinating to me.

Evolution is strange :) 

7 hours ago, Alanna said:

There is always so much to do with a new house! When I disappeared from my last challenge, I spent a good week tackling a lot of our garden, including replacing the gravel with grass - looking forward to planting veg in the beds this year. I need to make a schedule for when to plant everything. Glad you are enjoying your house, even if it is a bit hectic. 

Not sure if I'm challenging this time around - I'm not on top of my goal planning right now. 

Do you have a lot of space? Have you figured out what you want in there yet? 

You could always unchallenge with us as you figure out those goals :) 

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Wow, that's great how much your daughter has learned about animals. I knew that fact about Orcas.  Orcas live in waters near here. I love them, they are so huge and cool looking.  But, they  can also be monsters, and vicous predators.

They are beautiful! 

There are so many cool podcasts for kids, it's great. She's also listening to one about dinosaurs (obviously!) and one about world changing inventions. 

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Most excellent! Does she also know that wombat poops are cube shaped? Yes, they are.

Haha yes, she did indeed :) fascinating isn't it? 

3 hours ago, sylph said:

Saw this today and thought of you

https://old.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/1033z02/all_bicycle_paths_in_the_netherlands_oc/

Such a LOT of bike paths in your neck of the woods!

:) indeed! All of my commuting is about 85% bike paths only. Did you know there are more bikes than people in the Netherlands? 

• Like 1

Wednesday

Morning with the kids was good, they build a little hut in the living room and I brought snacks and a book in there to read to them. Work in the evening was also good and I did my own training after- it was late so I did less total sets of the strength work, but I did all of the kettlebell work which is most important. 

Spoiler

training thoughts here, feel free to skip

I had snatch 1:00x10 intervals with the 14kg today, which is also the weight I'm using for the competition next week. Breaks were 30 seconds. I went at 18 reps per minute/set. So that's 180 reps with breaks and hand switches in between and it felt like an RPE 10 which is harder than I hoped for. I had hoped to do 120+ reps at the competition, but if 180 reps in intervals feels like a 10 then that's unlikely.  And honestly that's fine, i wasn't really expecting to progress that fast, I'm not a real beginner after all, but I am a little disappointed. 

The afternoon was not so good. I had a lot of work to do but kept getting side tracked and taking 40 minutes to do something that should have taken 5, things like that. Very frustrated with myself. And then I had real panic (to the point of feeling ill) over something simple I had to do (that people were waiting on) but couldn't get myself to actually do. Jaap sat with me in the evening so I did get it done but I still can't get rid of the anxious feeling enough yet to want to go to bed. 

Bluh. Ending on a positive note again? Um. I made good food choices today. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Do you have a lot of space? Have you figured out what you want in there yet? 

You could always unchallenge with us as you figure out those goals :) 

I probably have a total of about 8-10 m long of garden beds, with enough space for 1-2 rows of plants each, plus some planters. I'm keeping it simple this year and mostly focusing on leafy greens, especially since those tend to be expensive and go off quickly from the grocery store (especially lettuce). Even though we have a west facing garden, most of the beds get a lot of shade from our fence, so I think leafy greens work better with that exposure, too, if I did my research correctly. I'm getting a few varieties of lettuce, kale, some herbs, and maybe bok choy. The seed catalogue also had cucamelon, so I'm going to try that for fun! I'm also planning to plant some flower seeds that I got from our garden and friends' gardens (snapdragon, rose campion, nasturtium) and sunflowers :). Do you still have your allotment, or has the house garden replaced it? 

Maybe! I'm toying with the idea of reviving my battle log, too.

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:
Spoiler

I had snatch 1:00x10 intervals with the 14kg today, which is also the weight I'm using for the competition next week. Breaks were 30 seconds. I went at 18 reps per minute/set. So that's 180 reps with breaks and hand switches in between and it felt like an RPE 10 which is harder than I hoped for. I had hoped to do 120+ reps at the competition, but if 180 reps in intervals feels like a 10 then that's unlikely.  And honestly that's fine, i wasn't really expecting to progress that fast, I'm not a real beginner after all, but I am a little disappointed. 

Ah, beginner/respawn gains are fun - sorry you're dealing with the frustrations of slowing progress. Do you peak/deload for kettlebell competitions? You might surprise yourself with your rested performance :).  

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The afternoon was not so good. I had a lot of work to do but kept getting side tracked and taking 40 minutes to do something that should have taken 5, things like that. Very frustrated with myself. And then I had real panic (to the point of feeling ill) over something simple I had to do (that people were waiting on) but couldn't get myself to actually do. Jaap sat with me in the evening so I did get it done but I still can't get rid of the anxious feeling enough yet to want to go to bed.

Yuck, hate those feelings. Hope it's going better today. ❤️

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

11 hours ago, Alanna said:

I probably have a total of about 8-10 m long of garden beds, with enough space for 1-2 rows of plants each, plus some planters. I'm keeping it simple this year and mostly focusing on leafy greens, especially since those tend to be expensive and go off quickly from the grocery store (especially lettuce). Even though we have a west facing garden, most of the beds get a lot of shade from our fence, so I think leafy greens work better with that exposure, too, if I did my research correctly. I'm getting a few varieties of lettuce, kale, some herbs, and maybe bok choy. The seed catalogue also had cucamelon, so I'm going to try that for fun! I'm also planning to plant some flower seeds that I got from our garden and friends' gardens (snapdragon, rose campion, nasturtium) and sunflowers :). Do you still have your allotment, or has the house garden replaced it? 

That sounds great :) You could also try something like sugar snaps- since those are also very expensive in the store and well.. really like them x)

Our new house does have a garden but not that big and take out space for bikes, kids stuff, a table and some chairs and there is hardly any room left. So yes, we do still have our allotment and we're going to start another garden at our friends place, she has a lot of land and looking to get into it- we'll keep our allotment for now to see if her enthusiasm lasts but if it does we might just move everything to her land. 

11 hours ago, Alanna said:

Ah, beginner/respawn gains are fun - sorry you're dealing with the frustrations of slowing progress. Do you peak/deload for kettlebell competitions? You might surprise yourself with your rested performance :).  

Yes peak and deload :) for a really important competition I'd do a very rigorous deload and a couple days full rest, but just a mild lowering of volume and one extra rest day for this comp. We do peak, but since I'm just getting back into serious training it wasn't very interesting this time around. 

I am not holding my breath for a positive surprise, I am pretty good at making comp predictions based on training results. As in really very good. 

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yuck, hate those feelings. Hope it's going better today. ❤️

Thanks Harriet! Still not great, but getting there. I also had several minute long hugs today to have Jaap's calm help co-regulate me. (it works for the kids so why not use it for me too) 

9 hours ago, sylph said:

This is not nothing.

Sorry you had a rough afternoon. Hopefully you eventually got your brain to relax a bit for some rest.

It is not nothing! I lay awake for most of the night, it was terrible! But hopefully/likely tonight will be better. 

• Like 1

Thursday 

I was staring at the ceiling instead of sleeping for a loooong time and just as I was about to drift off my 2yo crawled into bed with me. Yay. 

Jaap let me sleep an extra hour in the morning and then we went to visit a friend. We had lunch there and we signed papers to agree be her childs guardians incase something happens to her- she asked us a while back, really a pretty big compliment, neither of us had to think about it at all, we already consider them family. So it was a pretty special moment disguising as a casual "oh I got those papers prepared maybe you could sign them while you're here?". 

Otherwise uneventful afternoon/evening. Still feeling stressed, but less terribly so. Ate popcorn in the evening since that was still lying around, which is fine- but it tasted like crap and I kept eating it anyway, which is not so great.
Wins: cooked, took my vitamins, read to the kids, updated my bujo, tidied up before Jaap came home from work. 

• Like 8

On 1/4/2023 at 6:52 AM, KB Girl said:

Oh and did you guys know that a group of wombats is called a wisdom? I like that. Oh and their baby pouches are the other way around to prevent sand from getting in there while they dig their tunnels. And did you know that Orca's will kill great white sharks and then only eat the liver and leave the corpse to float around? Little big monsters those cute Orca's are. :P 

I love how now you're the one spreading animal fun facts around. :D 

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I am not holding my breath for a positive surprise, I am pretty good at making comp predictions based on training results. As in really very good. 

Disclaimer, thinking out loud so to speak.

So at first I thought that this is really impressive bc I relate everything to climbing which is mostly wildly unpredictable. But since you have a set time and working at a set pace you actually have a pretty good clue about the end result right? Of course things can go wrong, like the athlete might not find their rhythm or go out too fast because of nerves, but as long as they follow the strategy it shouldn't actually fluctuate tooo much? At least I assume you don't wing it but that each athlete will have their own strategy. But how do you make the game plan? Do you optimise for say being able to keep up the entire 10 minutes? Do you have different game plans for different comps, or do you change it depending on how the athlete feels on the day? Is it difficult to switch up the pacing (I guess this is more training related)? Am I asking the wrong questions? :D 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Jaap let me sleep an extra hour in the morning and then we went to visit a friend. We had lunch there and we signed papers to agree be her childs guardians incase something happens to her- she asked us a while back, really a pretty big compliment, neither of us had to think about it at all, we already consider them family. So it was a pretty special moment disguising as a casual "oh I got those papers prepared maybe you could sign them while you're here?". 

Lots of life's big moments can be disguised as small ones. ❤️

• Like 1