22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Disclaimer, thinking out loud so to speak.

So at first I thought that this is really impressive bc I relate everything to climbing which is mostly wildly unpredictable. But since you have a set time and working at a set pace you actually have a pretty good clue about the end result right? Of course things can go wrong, like the athlete might not find their rhythm or go out too fast because of nerves, but as long as they follow the strategy it shouldn't actually fluctuate tooo much? At least I assume you don't wing it but that each athlete will have their own strategy. But how do you make the game plan? Do you optimise for say being able to keep up the entire 10 minutes? Do you have different game plans for different comps, or do you change it depending on how the athlete feels on the day? Is it difficult to switch up the pacing (I guess this is more training related)? Am I asking the wrong questions? :D 

Haha no, these are smart questions :)

The goal is the maximum number of reps possible so that's what we optimise for, but usually that will also mean spreading them out over the 10 minutes. So I look at their training results and make a prediction based on that. Let's say I predict 100 then my error margin is about 10%, I will have them pace at 10 reps each minute and then if it's a rough day they will have to slow down somewhere and hang on for dear life in the last minutes and end up at 95 reps and if all the stars align and they feel great they can speed up after minute 7-8 and they'll end with 105 reps. If I'm wildly wrong and they go too fast then they will burn up and have to put the bells down early- so for example if I mistakingly pace them at 12 per minute then they'd have to last at least 8:00 to do 96- but in reality when you're going too fast it is far more likely you'll die around 5-6 minutes and end up with 60ish (this exact scenario happened to me at worlds in 2019 but I knew that going in, I kinda gambled and hoped for the best possible scenario, I probably shouldn't have, but live and learn). I mean- sometimes that kinda gambling is fine and even useful/educational, but better to do it at an unimportant competition rather than worlds. 

So I don't really adjust to how the athlete feels that day (because the feelings can be lies, you can have your best results on days you feel like crap), but you do adjust during the set, depending on the reality of how its going you either slow down or speed up but only AFTER you've passed the "will I die or not?" point around 5-6 minutes. 

And yes, we do a lot of pace training so it's easier to switch if needed- and it works differently for everyone, some will pace on the clock and some will pace by breath or a combination of the two and beginners I just let pace by feel because they're using weights they should be able to last the 10 minutes with no matter what pace they go and it's a PR anyway so who cares ;) they don't need the added stress. The only thing you gotta make sure of is that they don't sprint at the start, same as with runners I think. 

19 hours ago, sylph said:

Lots of life's big moments can be disguised as small ones. ❤️

Hm :) hopefully it stays a small thing and it never becomes necessary, but it's good to have these things on paper. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Friday

A full day, did 23km by bike just commuting from one thing to the next. Got half my training in because I ran out of time, but half is more than nothing. 

In the evening we had sports(wo)man of the year awards for our town, for which one of my team was nominated. There were actually no other nominations so she won the thing by default, which kind of sucks so we all tried to help her feel like she deserved it anyway (and she did, gold+silver at worlds, triple gold at nationals). I think we succeeded in making her feel supported at least. 

I had to do a mini speech for the thing and organise a card and a gift etc, which I think was part of why I was so stressed out this week. Mostly the speech thing. Anyway, I did it, it probably wasn't awful. I really shouldn't care what all those random people think anyway. 

• Like 4

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

but you do adjust during the set, depending on the reality of how its going you either slow down or speed up but only AFTER you've passed the "will I die or not?" point around 5-6 minutes. 

Oh that’s interesting the decision point is at 5-6 minutes. I did wonder how you avoid imposing a psychological limitation in a sensible way since it’s so calculated, it makes a lot of sense to basically wait and see. Is there a physiological reason for the breaking point? Can’t remember much about energy systems but I don’t recall that it corresponds cleanly with any of them… Thanks for your awesome reply!

And yeah don’t worry about the speech it’s not like anyone pays attention or remembers anything anyway, unless maybe you do something really dramatic or embarrassing.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh that’s interesting the decision point is at 5-6 minutes. I did wonder how you avoid imposing a psychological limitation in a sensible way since it’s so calculated, it makes a lot of sense to basically wait and see. Is there a physiological reason for the breaking point? Can’t remember much about energy systems but I don’t recall that it corresponds cleanly with any of them… Thanks for your awesome reply!

Anytime :D I do love talking about this stuff ;)

There is a physiological reason yes, that's the point at which you're likely to switch from mostly the aerobic system to the anaerobic. Or the point at which you should  be switching- because if you're switching earlier than that you can just forget about finishing the set. 

In the evening we had sports(wo)man of the year awards for our town, for which one of my team was nominated. There were actually no other nominations so she won the thing by default, which kind of sucks so we all tried to help her feel like she deserved it anyway (and she did, gold+silver at worlds, triple gold at nationals). I think we succeeded in making her feel supported at least.

If no one else aced the sportswomanning, or even slayed convincingly enough to get nominated, then she won it fair and square!

I'm sure your speech was fine. The content is probably less important than the fact you showed up and did the job.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It's legit! Sounds like she won a lot on her way there, and if nobody else showed up to compete, well, that doesn't reflect on her.

Still, as someone who's medaled for "just showing up," there's a real emotional void in not having someone to compete with. (or getting the medal for losing in a small division. Like I've done. A lot). Really good of you and your team to support her in that. :)

• Like 1
On 1/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, Elastigirl said:

Woohoo for giving a speech! That is tough, it makes sense why you were nervous. 

Thanks! It was tough, I'm slowly letting it go now. 

On 1/7/2023 at 7:16 PM, Harriet said:

If no one else aced the sportswomanning, or even slayed convincingly enough to get nominated, then she won it fair and square!

I'm sure your speech was fine. The content is probably less important than the fact you showed up and did the job.

Yes, probably, thank you. 

On 1/7/2023 at 11:16 PM, Kishi said:

It's legit! Sounds like she won a lot on her way there, and if nobody else showed up to compete, well, that doesn't reflect on her.

Still, as someone who's medaled for "just showing up," there's a real emotional void in not having someone to compete with. (or getting the medal for losing in a small division. Like I've done. A lot). Really good of you and your team to support her in that. :)

An emotional void is a good way to describe it, yes. I've been there too. The whole team was great and showed up by either physically being there or making a very thoughtful contribution to the giant card we got. 

• Like 1

Week 1 was so-so. I had a good training week, dug up some good food habits and remembered to take my vitamins but also need to exercise my 'no thanks' muscle when it comes to offered snack food. Struggled with overwhelm and anxiety but made some small steps towards being a better boss by delegating some tasks. Delegating also gives me anxiety so that's annoying but hopefully as I get used to it and find out the universe doesn't explode when I do that (nor will people stop liking me or irreparably mess things up). 

Week 2 didn't start so great. The overwhelm continues (I've got FOUR events this week, wth) and I'm feeling low. I am frustrated with struggling with tasks that seem simple and should only take 10-15 minutes but end up taking me two hours because I'm battling this overwhelm or my incapableness. These feelings/thoughts resulted in two days of take-out and my first skipped planned workout in 11 weeks, neither of which helped me feel better btw. I'm using all the tricks, trying to be mild/understanding of my situation, imagining what I would think about it if it were someone else struggling with these things and doing what I'm doing- I'm not doing so bad for someone who is struggling. I just hate that I'm struggling. Oh and I made sure to get all the hugs. And I went outside and promptly got rained on. Bluh. 

Here is a video of my 50kg clean & jerk (post-babies)-PR from Sunday to distract from all the drama; 

Did it a couple times, feels like there is room for more soon. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Week 2 didn't start so great. The overwhelm continues (I've got FOUR events this week, wth) and I'm feeling low. I am frustrated with struggling with tasks that seem simple and should only take 10-15 minutes but end up taking me two hours because I'm battling this overwhelm or my incapableness. These feelings/thoughts resulted in two days of take-out and my first skipped planned workout in 11 weeks, neither of which helped me feel better btw. I'm using all the tricks, trying to be mild/understanding of my situation, imagining what I would think about it if it were someone else struggling with these things and doing what I'm doing- I'm not doing so bad for someone who is struggling. I just hate that I'm struggling. Oh and I made sure to get all the hugs. And I went outside and promptly got rained on. Bluh. 

You sound like I do when I'm struggling with depression symptoms. I hope the overwhelm gets better.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week 1 was so-so. I had a good training week, dug up some good food habits and remembered to take my vitamins but also need to exercise my 'no thanks' muscle when it comes to offered snack food. Struggled with overwhelm and anxiety but made some small steps towards being a better boss by delegating some tasks. Delegating also gives me anxiety so that's annoying but hopefully as I get used to it and find out the universe doesn't explode when I do that (nor will people stop liking me or irreparably mess things up).  

THIS THIS THIS.

I've been exploring the world of management in my job and delegating is so hard for me. I got a crash course while I was pregnant, and even more so now that I'm on maternity leave. I have a few books on my amazon wish list about delegating; I really want to read more about it and improve my skills and such. 

The worst part is when someone inevitably makes a mistake or something. Then there's a level of panic like "I should have just done this even though it would take me away from things more suited to my skillset and either make me put off projects or work too much"

But it's a lie, it's one I have to counteract myself a lot.

In short - I get this 

Grey Jedi Ranger

Rest and Recuperate: Jedi's Hero Journey Begins Again

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I am not a master of overwhelm. It is still my mortal enemy. However, if any of this is helpful:

If the takeout bad feelings are guilt, remember that home cooking is historically only the territory of the wealthy, who could afford wives who stayed home all day (and thus worked unpaid to do the domestic labor) or servants paid to do the domestic labor. Most workers through history, including the middle classes and starting with the ancient Egyptians, relied heavily on purchased meals. Historically, cooking food was a job. It might have been the job of a dedicated domestic worker on the remote farm or homestead, but in more populated areas, businesses served many families. Doing the same isn't a failure; the expectation of cooking everything on top of your job and other domestic labor is historically a high ask.

If they're coming from feeling actual physical unwellness with processed food, then I'm reminded of a saying I read once, which said that Northern European civilization exists because of the ham and cheese sandwich. It was preserved pig and dairy proteins that allowed people to thrive in the north through the long winters. It is a valid dinner to throw a jar of pickles, a loaf of bread, a hunk of cheese, and an apple on the table, and not even bother to cut them till everyone is sitting down. More than valid, it is historically significant. Those are your winter stores. Dried sausage? Bonus. Butter? Bonus. Cooking? Zero.

I can't do much beyond empathIze with the rest, including being more fed up with the struggling than anything. A few minutes of stillness can help. I've spent a fair amount of the past few years slowly trying to train myself to recognize certain types of task resistance as mental tiredness - my brain is drained of resources, and needs a recharge. (In my case, it was the observation that sleep deprivation creates ADHD symptoms in everyone, and undoes the benefits of meds in people with ADHD. Fatigue has a measurable effect on everyone's brain. Thus if I'm seeing more symptoms than usual, it likely means there's more mental fatigue than usual. As fatigue affects everyone's brain, and given current discussion of learning and cognitively demanding work needing recovery breaks, I think this generalises.)

I've started inserting brain-rest periods into my working day, where after a period of hard work, I stop and do something still with my eyes closed to cut off a lot of brain input and processing of external stuff, and let the brain's unfocused mode take over. (In neuroscience, this is the default mode network, which is active when the focused mode is not. The default mode network is becoming big in the study of learning and helping the brain store memory.) My rule is meditation, sleep, audiobook, or nothing, as long as my eyes are closed. (And I've noticed that the neuroscientist flavor of the month, Andrew Huberman, essentially advises the same thing in the middle of the day, though his is specifically yoga nidra, which is similar to a body scan meditation. Sure, but I came up with it first, dude! :P) My rule for a while was also that resisting a task I planned or needed to do was brain fatigue, and my other option was doing a session of rest, then trying again. Pretty good results. I still struggle with the time cost of it, but in practice it's more efficient than struggling through. I'm re-teaching myself this.

It's tough to justify rest when you're tight on time. But if the time is going to be spent on the job one way or another, 15 minutes of brain rest every few hours might improve the situation a little. It's the mental version of injury recovery.

Good luck. I'm kind of in the overwhelm trenches with you this challenge.

• Like 6

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

If the takeout bad feelings are guilt, remember that home cooking is historically only the territory of the wealthy, who could afford wives who stayed home all day (and thus worked unpaid to do the domestic labor) or servants paid to do the domestic labor. Most workers through history, including the middle classes and starting with the ancient Egyptians, relied heavily on purchased meals.

They also relied on paid servants to do other parts of their housework, including but not limited to cleaning, laundry, and caring for their children. The ones who could not afford this, often helped each other out. Martha and her mother had the children all Monday, then Katrina and Louisa took care of them Tuesday while Martha organized laundry day, and so on, and helping with this childcare was an important part of the older children's chores, especially the girls. 

Modern families, especially parents, are trying to do the work of a large group of adults all by themselves. It is twisted and deeply fucked up that our society has become one that then turns around and blames those same parents for not working hard enough, when they inevitably fail to do ten full-time jobs without help.

• Like 4

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

They also relied on paid servants to do other parts of their housework, including but not limited to cleaning, laundry, and caring for their children. The ones who could not afford this, often helped each other out. Martha and her mother had the children all Monday, then Katrina and Louisa took care of them Tuesday while Martha organized laundry day, and so on, and helping with this childcare was an important part of the older children's chores, especially the girls. 

This is true, though I'm not sure how widespread it was through socio-economic classes. I am sure that buying cooked food was common all through the social classes in most of Europe. All the adults worked, and they relied in the 17th, 18th, or 19th century equivalent of food trucks. But I've seen the same sorts of accounts from ancient Egypt. Homes in towns and cities often didn't have a lot to cook on. Maybe a heating stove with room for  kettle or a pot, but ovens were rare, early on, and ranges took a while while become widespread. Early on, bread was all purchased, and a lot of the home-cooked food the family made was slow cooked stews in pots that they took to the baker and had him put in the bakery ovens all day for a small fee, while everyone was at work. No one had ovens, and no one was home to keep anything cooking. Even if they didn't go out to work as a servant, wives would be working in the shoe shop as a worker or whatever.

More towards the industrial revolution, the housing shortage in the cities meant the lower classes were too cramped to have kitchens, and were working long factory hours. White collar workers without wives didn't cook for themselves, they bought all their food, or it was part of their rent arrangement. Like, they could maybe manage tea and biscuits in their homes. People who worked outside the home didn't do much of their own cooking. People who didn't work outside the home could often afford servants, except for a strip of the lower paid white collar workers, where they could afford a family home with a kitchen and to not send their wife to work, but not the servants. (Ministers and Bob Cratchit style clerks, people in sort of genteel white collar poverty.) The wife's job was doing the family service jobs. But there were tons of businesses geared to feed blue collar workers on their way home from work. The first fish and chip shops in the UK were in people's sitting rooms in working class areas, and they sold out the sitting room window to workers going home. People also lived on a ton of bread and bread toppings, which they didn't make.

It was different on farms (and, of course, pre-urban America, where nearly everything was remote), but that was a job for the family business - they weren't just feeding the family, but the farm workers, as part of their pay. Because workers didn't cook for themselves. And in rural areas in general, there was more room for kitchens and less density to support a more centralised food economy. It was mainly farm wives doing their own laundry, too. Towns and cities always had women taking in laundry, often quite cheaply. Those single clerks were sending their laundry out for sure. And a lot of urban homes didn't have room for doing much laundry. Like, you need vats and drying lines and irons and mangles and crap. If you're even vaguely middle class, you want that stuff hidden away under stairs with the servants, and if you don't have an under stairs with servants, and are living in a two or three room flat with your family, you have a laundry service.

WWI started to break that service economy and WWII broke it hard. Plus there were a lot of new urban and suburbanites out of the rural areas, and big growth in the size and purchasing power of the lower bracket of white collar workers, where wives did that. That's when all this started to get dumped on housewives, who had to be both the home servant and the socialite who didn't need to work.

And that's why, in the US, the 1950s were made of jello salads and amphetamines for women. It was a dark time.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm sorry about the overwhelm. It sounds like delegating really is for the best, so I'm glad you're practicing that.

Also, that 50kg C&J??? It FLIPPING SLAYS. I am amazed at how much strength is packed into your body.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The overwhelm continues (I've got FOUR events this week, wth) and I'm feeling low. I am frustrated with struggling with tasks that seem simple and should only take 10-15 minutes but end up taking me two hours because I'm battling this overwhelm or my incapableness. These feelings/thoughts resulted in two days of take-out and my first skipped planned workout in 11 weeks, neither of which helped me feel better btw. I'm using all the tricks, trying to be mild/understanding of my situation, imagining what I would think about it if it were someone else struggling with these things and doing what I'm doing- I'm not doing so bad for someone who is struggling. I just hate that I'm struggling. Oh and I made sure to get all the hugs. And I went outside and promptly got rained on. Bluh. 

I'm sorry friend. Getting rained on sounds like crappy icing on top of a shit day.

I hope you can find some relief, soon.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

Amazing video! You are so strong.

Thanks EG :) 

On 1/11/2023 at 1:16 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You sound like I do when I'm struggling with depression symptoms. I hope the overwhelm gets better.

Do you ever feel like you really shouldn't because you have such a good life? 

On 1/11/2023 at 2:20 AM, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

THIS THIS THIS.

I've been exploring the world of management in my job and delegating is so hard for me. I got a crash course while I was pregnant, and even more so now that I'm on maternity leave. I have a few books on my amazon wish list about delegating; I really want to read more about it and improve my skills and such. 

The worst part is when someone inevitably makes a mistake or something. Then there's a level of panic like "I should have just done this even though it would take me away from things more suited to my skillset and either make me put off projects or work too much"

But it's a lie, it's one I have to counteract myself a lot.

In short - I get this 

We'll learn :) It does help to point out those thinking flaws for myself. Any book in particular you'd recommend? 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:04 PM, Harriet said:

I'm sorry about the overwhelm. It sounds like delegating really is for the best, so I'm glad you're practicing that.

Also, that 50kg C&J??? It FLIPPING SLAYS. I am amazed at how much strength is packed into your body.

Thanks Harriet! Delegating makes me feel 'bezwaard' - I don't know a good translation for that, but it's the feeling that you feel bad/guilty for asking, or like you're bothersome.. honestly part of it is probably that my mom and sister are notoriously bad at saying no so I don't want to ask. We're re-training them, giving lots of pats on the head etc whenever they say no, haha. 

On 1/11/2023 at 5:10 PM, sylph said:

I'm sorry friend. Getting rained on sounds like crappy icing on top of a shit day.

I hope you can find some relief, soon.

Thank you! After this weekend hopefully it will all feel a little less acute. 

On 1/11/2023 at 2:42 AM, sarakingdom said:

If the takeout bad feelings are guilt, remember that home cooking is historically only the territory of the wealthy, who could afford wives who stayed home all day (and thus worked unpaid to do the domestic labor) or servants paid to do the domestic labor. Most workers through history, including the middle classes and starting with the ancient Egyptians, relied heavily on purchased meals. Historically, cooking food was a job. It might have been the job of a dedicated domestic worker on the remote farm or homestead, but in more populated areas, businesses served many families. Doing the same isn't a failure; the expectation of cooking everything on top of your job and other domestic labor is historically a high ask.

I was gonna say nahhh that's not it but I probably havent entirely banned these type of thoughts yet.. it's not even just nutrition either because we eat pretty healthy in general, but... it's just that feeling of failure "here I am, failing at this basic thing that I want to do because I am -insert not nice things I think about myself that should not be repeated- and I will never get any better at this". Lies of course, I have improved and even if I hadn't that's just.. bar too high. Lowering the bar is good. 

Take out should still not be a regular thing because we can't really afford doing so every week and also I don't actually mind cooking, it's just the time management part of it that I'm not so great at* and while I can go hungry it's not fun for anyone when the kids go hungry for too long.

(*not even when I'm not too busy, even if I'm doing nothing I can be reading or playing games with the kids and then remember at 16:45 that I have to pick up a kid from somewhere and we have to eat before 17:30-18:00 and that does not work with the lasagna I had planned that still needs assembling and needs to be  in the oven for 40 minutes.) 

I can't do much beyond empathIze with the rest, including being more fed up with the struggling than anything. A few minutes of stillness can help. I've spent a fair amount of the past few years slowly trying to train myself to recognize certain types of task resistance as mental tiredness - my brain is drained of resources, and needs a recharge. (In my case, it was the observation that sleep deprivation creates ADHD symptoms in everyone, and undoes the benefits of meds in people with ADHD. Fatigue has a measurable effect on everyone's brain. Thus if I'm seeing more symptoms than usual, it likely means there's more mental fatigue than usual. As fatigue affects everyone's brain, and given current discussion of learning and cognitively demanding work needing recovery breaks, I think this generalises.)

I've started inserting brain-rest periods into my working day, where after a period of hard work, I stop and do something still with my eyes closed to cut off a lot of brain input and processing of external stuff, and let the brain's unfocused mode take over. (In neuroscience, this is the default mode network, which is active when the focused mode is not. The default mode network is becoming big in the study of learning and helping the brain store memory.) My rule is meditation, sleep, audiobook, or nothing, as long as my eyes are closed. (And I've noticed that the neuroscientist flavor of the month, Andrew Huberman, essentially advises the same thing in the middle of the day, though his is specifically yoga nidra, which is similar to a body scan meditation. Sure, but I came up with it first, dude! :P) My rule for a while was also that resisting a task I planned or needed to do was brain fatigue, and my other option was doing a session of rest, then trying again. Pretty good results. I still struggle with the time cost of it, but in practice it's more efficient than struggling through. I'm re-teaching myself this.

It's tough to justify rest when you're tight on time. But if the time is going to be spent on the job one way or another, 15 minutes of brain rest every few hours might improve the situation a little. It's the mental version of injury recovery.

You talked a lot about those brain rests a couple challenges ago, maybe in Harriets thread also- I do try to keep that in mind. I know when im tired I'm more useless. I've actually become a lot kinder to myself over the last couple of years especially and while that helps my mental health a lot (it doesn't actually help to get depressed from not functioning as you would like because depression does not help you function any better) but the irony with that is that due to reassuring myself that it's not the end of the world sometimes that actually makes it harder to get myself started on stuff. And I've lost some faith in myself- pre kids I would always get the thing done at least 5 seconds before it absolutely had to be done, but with kids I don't always manage and that paired with trying to put less pressure on myself gives me anxiety on wether I will eventually get to the thing. Sigh. 

Good luck. I'm kind of in the overwhelm trenches with you this challenge.

Thank you.. and good luck to you too- I normally love company, but I don't want this for either of us. Anything you need to lower the bar on? 

• Like 2

Wednesday I almost bailed on doing a workout but I knew I would feel better and I've been here before and know from experience that just doing one set of a bunch of things is usually something I can do. So I did. And I did feel a bit better. And then I was up for a 5:00 snatch set with a 14kg kettlebell. I also made two phonecalls that I'd been putting off. 

Thursday was Jaap's birthday and it was good. I got him theatre tickets for the 4 of us, a kid friendly show. The girls and I hung up balloons and made a mini-treasure hunt for the gift. I made scones (his favourite) and we went swimming. His family also dropped by and it wasn't bad. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Do you ever feel like you really shouldn't because you have such a good life? 

Not anymore. One does not have to earn the right to have depression, it's simply there. We all suffer, and I don't hurt anyone by acknowledging my own suffering, nor do I help anyone by suppressing or trying to ignore it. 

• That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 1/13/2023 at 7:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

That sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration. Woot for doing the workout when you didn't want to!

He says he enjoyed it :) I'm really glad I did that workout because with everything going on that's likely the only one this week, pff. 

On 1/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Not anymore. One does not have to earn the right to have depression, it's simply there. We all suffer, and I don't hurt anyone by acknowledging my own suffering, nor do I help anyone by suppressing or trying to ignore it. 

Thank you, I know you've said this before, but I guess I needed to hear that again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Friday we had a homeschool meet in the morning, the kids had a painting workshop. The rest of the day was getting everything done for the New Years party thing we had at the gym. I think it went well. 

Today (Saturday) on the way back from 6yo's swimming class in the morning I got completely soaked. The weather was truly gnarly, heavy rain and harsh winds- I couldn't even shield my eyes from the rain because then my bike would be blown off course. After dropping the 6yo off at my moms I saw one of my appointments had cancelled so I cancelled the other one I had that day and went home for a long shower and a long nap. After the nap I did some taxes and did some last things to prep for the competition and the federations general meeting tomorrow. 

Kids are in bed now and I still have this last thing to do for the general meeting but I am procrastinating by updating here ;)

Dunno if anyone noticed that, but I did also skip my usual training for Friday and Saturday. We'll pretend it's a good idea because of the competition tomorrow. (it's not). But, you know, it is what it is, getting down about it probably won't help. And the nap was probably a very good idea.

• Like 6

Somehow I did 139 reps at the competition today :) (14kg snatch) 

My goal was 120 and I didn’t even think I’d make that, so I am pleasantly surprised. I switched hands at 3:50 with 56 reps, and I have no idea how I managed to do 83 on the other arm and last 6:10- all I can tell you is that it hurt a lot xD 

The general meeting went well too. The board went out for our annual dinner after. We had sushi, it was pretty good. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2