[Yasha] Taking care of Tamagotchi Taash

Friday today and the weather is GRIM - I mean, 'can't-barely-see-out-the-windscreen-with-the-wipers-on-full' pouring rain.

I decided not to walk except for a tiny dash between our house and the neighbours to feed their cats, and in and out of the car running errands. I scored a chinup bar and an airmattress from the neighbourhood group, as well as dropping off three grocery bags of 'stuff' to the op-shop (some clothes, DVDs, kitchen bits). Unfortunately when I blew up the air mattress to check for leaks one of the cats did parkour on it and put a clawhole in it (otherwise it seems great, no leaks... or there were no leaks...), so I will have to purchase a patch kit and fix it. That put me in a right stank mood and I huffed around for a few hours before I got over it. Even with purchasing a patch it is still much cheaper than buying the airmattress new, and when we rarely have sleepover visitors (maybe a couple times a year) buying one new just didn't make sense, but I do want to be able to offer sleepovers to couples as well as the single we had been able to offer in the past. The single can now be listed on the neighbourhood site and on the recycling goes.

We are a little light on fresh freggies in the house at the moment as we are still getting back in the swing of groceries since coming back from holidays, and our veg box doesn't start up again until the 12th, still got a carrot and half a mango in as well as the tinned tomatoes in the beans&rice Mx made.

Posting this a bit early then heading to bed as tomorrow we are going to see my family, so sleep hygiene should be in the bag - although I did have an energy drink a little later in the day than I should have, so we shall see if I can fall asleep. Teeth are already done.

Cleaning today was 5min of my nemesis: folding. I set the timer and the moment it went off I stopped. I even put back the piece that was in my hands. The basket is not finished, but it is a lot more towards being finished than if I told myself that I had to do the whole thing. "Anything worth doing is worth half-arsing", and now when FutureTaash looks at the folding it will be much more manageable (maybe even only one 5min round???). I put away the things I had folded and put the basket of remaining cleans back in the kitchen (where the drier is), so all up probably seven mins. I also did some dishes and (a fair bit of) decluttering during the day, but the 5min pre-bed is what I am focussing on for this challenge.  

Did the finance friday account healthcheck, but looks like I had already ticked it (maybe because of the bank/card kerfuffle).

Week 1, Friday:

⏹ - Teethies

️⏹ - Walkies

⏹- Freggies

⏹ - Sleepies

⏹- Cleanies

⏹- Boundaries

💫 - Finance Friday (additional box for week 1).

💫- Shitty task

- Communication

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Oh no rain!

Hope you rested up well and its better weather today for you xx

Thanks lovely! It took me a little while to fall to sleep, but I just listened to a podcast/audiobook that I've heard before - interesting enough to keep me from scrolling the rectangle of light, but not so interesting that I stayed awake to hear it once I was nodding off. Today already looks clearer, which is good coz I'd rather not drive a long unfamiliar road in the rain!

• Like 2

Saturday, aka "not today, Poseidon!" TRIGGER WARNING for description of nearly drowning. Happy ending.

A late update for Saturday because once we were safely home we decided on an early night. Had a near brush with death, but not from the roads but instead the sea.

Spoiler

We had a lovely lunch with the family and a walk along the beach - we could see some rips (do other countries get rips, or is that uniquely Aussie thing? it's a dangerous and unpredictable piece of almost invisible ocean surf which drowns heaps of people), which we avoided and entered the ocean to our knees thinking we were safe. We were not. In less than a minute the left rip moved/split into another one and we were up to our waists then over our heads. My sister was sucked out several hundred meters in an instant and I was stuck in the breakers where the left and right rips met, getting tumbled and tumbled. Mx was stuck between us, trying to keep an eye on B as her head bobbed out towards the open sea, and trying to swim towards me as I kept popping back up. I have never felt power like what was in that water, Gforces from freefalling aka gravity doesn't even come close. My side plait got pulled completely over my head and under my chin, blinding me to all but a sliver - I couldn't tell if I was in the air or the water because it was so wet, except for each time a new wave crashed into me I figured I must have been out of the water and it sounded different above and below. I remembered the mantra that is drilled into all coastal Aussies: "don't swim against it, swim across it" - I couldn't really tell which way was 'across' it, but I got the occasional glimpse of the beach and went as parallel as I could. I lost sight of Mx, and my sister was completely gone. I caught sight of Mx again and I remember signing "where B? where B?" because I didn't have enough air in the moment to scream. I lost Mx again but I could see some other swimmers and I knew there were surfers in the water, so I signalled for help and yelled to them when I could get enough air. My parents and other siblings were watching from the beach and one of them was on the phone with the coastguard as I battled towards the beach. The swimmers kept their footing on the edge of the rip and hauled me out when I was within reach, and a surfer was already on the way to rescue sister before we even knew we were in trouble. He hauled her out shortly after while I was burping water on the beach. Mx managed to get themselves out. All's well that ends well, but I will not be dabbling outside of the surf rescue patrol flags again. It was very, very fast and extremely strong.

Week 1, Friday:

️ - Teethies

🌊 - Walkies

- Freggies

- Sleepies

️- Cleanies

️- Boundaries

💫 - Finance Friday (additional box for week 1).

💫- Shitty task

- Communication

• Like 1
  • Wow 5

Glad you are alright. Wow, it is amazing how strong the ocean can be. A good story to remind us all of that fact. Yes, our oceans have riptides too. And they place warning flags, but a lot of people ignore that. You look out at the ocean, and you can't really tell . My mom was caught in one in California, and that story always stuck with me.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Thank you for not dying.

Happy Thank U GIF by Shark Week

You're welcome!

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Fucking hell Yasha, thank god you and others all were ok in the end. That must have been so scary :(

Sending a lot of love x

It was rather unsettling. We had a good laugh and lots of teasing about it once we were all safe back around the table later though, and the lesson was LEARNED. Weirdly, as I was filling up the car after getting home an ad came on the little petrol station screen warning about rips - talk about the targeted advertising!

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad the sea didn't win.

Eleventh Doctor Christmas GIF by Doctor Who

Me too. Mx and I have said it a couple times since as a greeting/farewell: "hey, glad you didn't die!"

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you are alright. Wow, it is amazing how strong the ocean can be. A good story to remind us all of that fact. Yes, our oceans have riptides too. And they place warning flags, but a lot of people ignore that. You look out at the ocean, and you can't really tell . My mom was caught in one in California, and that story always stuck with me.

So very strong. We have 'swim between the flags' sections, where the lifeguards identify the safe area that they will be watching over. We saw the flags before we went in, but they were waaaaay over the other side and we said since we weren't going to swim, just dip in that we would be fine and that it was too far to walk to the flags. When I was in the thick of it I was kicking myself, that there was no way I could run all the way to the guards and back for help. Once I was out of the water that was confirmed, as I just had to sit on the sand and wait for my sinuses to drain. Next time, we will just walk to the flags.

Speaking of next time - I was determined not to let the fear fester and turn me off the ocean forever, so on Sunday Mx and I went to the gentlest sheltered bay (almost a pool) where they train the newbie lifeguards. We snorkelled and saw lots of cool fish and I was able to be calm even though my anxiety started out real bad. At one stage I counted 16 lifeguards including a little blow up boat and a sand patroller 4wheeler watching over us. It was the right place to get back in the water.

May be an image of 4 people, coast, ocean and nature

Week 2, Sunday:

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️ - Teethies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Walkies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Freggies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Sleepies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Cleanies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Boundaries

⏹️ - Finance Friday (additional box for week 1).

⏹️- Shitty task

⏹️ - Communication

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1
9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good for you for getting back in the water right away. Yay for snorkeling!

4 hours ago, Salinger said:

Yasha, well done for getting back out there, im so so proud of you x

Thanks friends! Helps when it is bloody glorious weather ❤️ 

• Like 1

First day back at work since end of Oct. Wowsers.  Started the day with almost 900 emails - thankfully lots of junk, FYIs, auto-generated system messages and the like. Ended the day with just 13 actionable ones left in my inbox for tomorrow, and the rest archived or deleted, pretty pleased about that. I went physically in to the office, partly to meet my new boss and start things off on the right foot, partly because one of my close colleagues has taken a role elsewhere and it was her farewell lunch. I am very out of practice with people-ing and found it quite exhausting, but I made it through the whole day (including the farewell lunch) and both started and finished on time which is a big ol' tick for the "boundaries" goal. I also checked with NewBoss to confirm that we are all good for me to attend sign language on Wednesdays from next month, so ticking off "Communication" since classes themselves don't start until the 25th. 

Once I got home but before I settled in too hard Mx offered that we go on a walk, so we did that including stopping to meet the PT's new puppy and getting a few ingredients from the shops.

I don't know if it's because I didn't do 5min cleaning either weekend day, or because I was out of the house and so couldn't 'chip away' at any dishes throughout the day while waiting the kettle etc - but the dishes definitely seemed insurmountable this evening. I did my five mins, which barely made a dent, and I even did another ten while dinner was reheating in the oven (so logically, that should have been the three batches of five, right???), but there is still lots left. I am respecting that I don't feel like doing them AND that I told myself I could stop after the 5min timer was up, and so the rest are for future Taash, with love. 

My expectation of the Shitty Task this week is either going to the post office, or calling HR and asking them the process to stop payments on my student loan (it should be paid off in June, and I don't want to overpay, but it is difficult to tell since the balance is only updated once a year).

Am pressing 'post' on this, then getting up from the table and brushing my teeth and going to bed. I am now beholden to the preemptive ticks.

Week 2, Monday:

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️ - Teethies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Walkies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Freggies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Sleepies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Cleanies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Boundaries

⏹️ - Finance Friday

⏹️- Shitty task

- Communication

• Like 3

Wow!  What an experience swimming!  I'm glad there were enough people around to offer assistance and you made it ok!  Great job for getting back in there too!  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 1/9/2023 at 10:46 PM, Salinger said:

Sounds like a solid day Yasha, well done ❤️

Hope you sleep really well and feel rested when you wake xx

Thank you! I slept AMAZING, and Mx was up before me and made me a coffee as I woke up (almost always the other way around as I am generally up before them). Very good way to start the day.

18 hours ago, Shello said:

Wow!  What an experience swimming!  I'm glad there were enough people around to offer assistance and you made it ok!  Great job for getting back in there too!  

I'm also glad! Work folks keep asking me how the USA trip was, and while I now have a canned answer for the neurotypicals who can't really cope when I go off track I also have uncanned chaos to recount for those I know can handle it becauseohmygaaaawd.

• That's Metal 2

Second day in the office and I spent two and a half hours with the IT folks trying to get my laptop to work properly... Some combination of not always detecting the harddrive, overheating when plugged into the dock, a bunch of drivers that needed updating and other stuff. It got to semi-functional, but will need to touch base with them again to get her firing on all cylinders again - all well and good to overheat and shut down while I'm reading emails (not ideal, but managable), but if I were presenting in a zoom meeting or the like it would really be a pain in the butt. Better to get it sorted early in the year before everything kicks off into chaos. If it were my personal laptop that would have taken the shitty task of the week, but since it is a work one I am more chill about it- leaving space for either of the earlier mentioned turds (call HR, go to the post office), or, depending on how stressful it is, getting the cats their yearly jabs tomorrow might take that slot.

Walking I did both solo on my lunch for a shortish stroll, plus had a walking meeting with NewBoss. I gave him a rundown of a fair bit of historical information as well as some of the stakeholder relationships he should make contact with. I also told him that I went for his role and was unsuccessful because I think it is important for him to know that context. So far he seems fine, but we'll see.

Freggies - I am still feeling the post-USA need for more freggies in my life- today I had an orange and two apricots as well as the salad in my sandwich and I think I also had a carrot, I definitely thought about it regardless. Looking forward to a spinach rocket pesto Mx and I made together for lunch tomorrow lol.

Cleaning I smashed out both a little bit of decluttering (none of it out of the house yet, but identified and bagged) AND a large load of dishes. I went until the dishdrainer was full and I was sweaty. Not quite finished, but more than my required 5min and I am being conscious not to push myself past the 'meh' feeling if I've done the 5. I have inherent value as a person regardless of whether there are dishes still to be done.

Sleep and teeth I am running a bit late on since I did extra dishes than the time I had allocated for that job, but I am about to go hop in bed with an audiobook (after teethies!) so have preemptively ticked them. 

Boundaries I started and finished on time and took a lunch. Good job, me.  

Week 2, Tuesday:

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️ - Teethies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Walkies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Freggies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Sleepies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Cleanies

⏹️⏹️⏹️⏹️- Boundaries

⏹️ - Finance Friday

⏹️- Shitty task

- Communication

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Yasha92 said:

Work folks keep asking me how the USA trip was, and while I now have a canned answer for the neurotypicals who can't really cope when I go off track I also have uncanned chaos to recount for those I know can handle it becauseohmygaaaawd.

For the ones who can't cope tell them you had BBQ with Tank (with no other context), then when they naturally have no clue who I am just say, "fancy you not knowing that."

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

had a walking meeting with NewBoss.

Like you went for a walk while you had a meeting?  I could never get that to float here.  It sounds brilliant. 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

8 hours ago, Salinger said:

Wooooooo Brilliant day Yasha :D :D xx

I hadn't even noticed it was all ticks down the line - need to get better at cheerleading for myself!

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

For the ones who can't cope tell them you had BBQ with Tank (with no other context), then when they naturally have no clue who I am just say, "fancy you not knowing that."

Yissssss. The family we spent a week and a bit with are also internet friends, the friend we first met's online handle is Ghost- so they are "the Ghosts": Ghost, Mr Ghost and the Ghostlings. When I tell people we stayed with our friends the ghosts I can see folks picturing a graveyard. 

ghost GIF

6 hours ago, Shello said:

Like you went for a walk while you had a meeting?  I could never get that to float here.  It sounds brilliant. 

Yes! It's a known thing here (though I wouldn't say common per-se), especially good/applicable if its just an informal talking meeting i.e. no powerpoint presentations or need to take notes etc. Good for more casual catchups/checkins and I also find really good for those more confidential/honest conversations because you can get outside, speak freely and feel like the walls don't have ears.  Also helps the step count. I think it likely goes better in my workplace than some others, because I work at a uni and several of our researchers have contributed findings that show that incidental exercise/limiting sitting and swapping for standing throughout the workday is extremely beneficial for health AND productivity. Additionally, being in Sydney the weather is generally pretty mild. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

Yes! It's a known thing here (though I wouldn't say common per-se), especially good/applicable if its just an informal talking meeting i.e. no powerpoint presentations or need to take notes etc. Good for more casual catchups/checkins and I also find really good for those more confidential/honest conversations because you can get outside, speak freely and feel like the walls don't have ears.  Also helps the step count. I think it likely goes better in my workplace than some others, because I work at a uni and several of our researchers have contributed findings that show that incidental exercise/limiting sitting and swapping for standing throughout the workday is extremely beneficial for health AND productivity. Additionally, being in Sydney the weather is generally pretty mild. 

I'd love to make that a thing.   At least half of my meetings don't have anything being presented but typically everyone brings their laptops and there is a fair amount of time referring to those.  But I'm determined to make this a thing some how.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shello said:

I'd love to make that a thing.   At least half of my meetings don't have anything being presented but typically everyone brings their laptops and there is a fair amount of time referring to those.  But I'm determined to make this a thing some how.

Go for it! Here's an article, if you want to back it up ^_^ I'd suggest (as the article does) meetings with max 3 folks. Suggesting it at the start of the year, with the line "I'm trying to get my steps" also seems to fly pretty well, as lots of people are doing NY resolutions.

• Like 1

Wednesday, but not the Netflix one, just the humpday one.

Friday The 13Th Netflix GIF by zhanadarte

Worked from home and was able to chip away at a few of the trickier emails/action items. Only hard ones left now. Working from home also meant I was able to wiggle around a lot more, put on/take off laundry in my hourly movement moments as well as taking the cats to the vets for their vaccinations in my lunch. Got told my boycat is now technically a 'senior' and I can transition him to senior food once the current bag runs out. That was a bit of a shock, seems like just yesterday we brought him home as a tiny kitten. As well as taking the kitties I also called HR and sorted the payroll thing, so two shitty (but not-too-terrible) tasks knocked over today.

Completely forgot about taking a walk. Did vigorously stir the compost, carry the kitties up&down the stairs and cleaned out the laundry with mid-level mania... so maybe half points?

I have already brushed my teeth!

Freggies, on the ball  - the spinach pesto was good (having it again for lunch tomorrow as long as I remember to pack it!) and for dinner had a massive salad that was a hybrid ceaser/greek thing Mx made us, with a bit of smoked chicken and sizzled bacon. 

Cleanies - I was HATING doing the cutlery washing up (the worst part of dishes IMO, and already skipped yesterday and Monday), so I demanded Mx tell me fun facts until it was over, because my hands were already wet and I hadn't started a video or my podcast. They obliged and I learned some cool tidbits about medieval eating etiquette. 

Boundaries I started and finished on time and took a lunch. Also stopped myself from volunteering for something which would have been extra work with no real personal benefit.  

Going to bed after I post this, so that's a wrap for today, another one in the bag.

Week 2, Wednesday:

⏹️⏹️⏹️ - Teethies

🧡⏹️⏹️⏹️- Walkies

⏹️⏹️⏹️- Freggies

⏹️⏹️⏹️- Sleepies

⏹️⏹️⏹️- Cleanies

⏹️⏹️⏹️- Boundaries

⏹️ - Finance Friday

- Shitty task

- Communication

• Like 3